NEurope
Nolan

Supreme Court rules gay marriage legal

So, a landmark decision in the US not being ass backward.

Today June 6th 2015 SCOTUS ruled same-sex marriage ban as being unconstitutional overturning and effectively legalizing same-sex marriage in all 50 states.

I just realized it hadn't posted here at all, and figured I'd make the thread.

A random news article for the sake of it. (CNN)

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

It is rather sad though that it was a 5-4 win. It may be legal now but it shows people are very much against it still...

Shit...maybe I really should make my mohawk a rainbow now. Probably not seems expensive.

It is rather sad though that it was a 5-4 win. It may be legal now but it shows people are very much against it still...

JMOdxI1.png

Huge victory. Not only does it now allow the same rights to same-sex couples, it also sends a message to everyone struggling with coming out/homophobia etc that being gay is perfectly acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of.

Its great news! i personally can't get my head round some American's attitudes to it.........but it makes entertaining reading on social media! I've got an american on my facebook (added him from Ghostbusters Fans) and he's a conservative American, who is blowing up over this

Your Gay, good for you, who cares, what do you want a trophy or for me to take out the violin?

I like your perspective Ron, it's like Gays & Lesbian's are * (Hay parents, put your kiddos to bed this is the Al's not rated PG after hours) * trying to shove their same sex loving genitals in our mouth

It's time us Christians stop singing praises to God while dancing with the Devil.

Ghostbusters Fans had this image up as their profile pic & once again I find it tacky because I am a Ghosthead & yes I am a Christian that embraces homosexuals but not homosexuality but The No Ghost Logo has no sexuality, let's keep our beloved Ghostbusters franchise & our fandom & political & or spiritual views separated regardless of which side of the spectrum we're on.

those are his "tame" bigoted quotes, think its time for him to be culled from my facebook

This is a big step, it's fantastic!

But there's still alot of work to be done! In quite a bit of states it's still legal to fire someone based on sexual orientation but also refuse to give a hotel room etc etc etc.

Good news.

However I'm not comfortable with the level of American and Christian generalising and bashing that often accompanies these sorts of issues, ironically by some of the so-called 'liberals' preaching 'tolerance'.

Tolerance is putting up with something you don't like, meaning you don't have to like something to tolerate it. Therefore I don't think American Christians have to like homosexuality, they just need to tolerate it.

So why do Christians not approve of homosexuality? Is it simply pure irrational hate? Perhaps for some, or is it largely because their religion, and by extension their god forbides it. If you are a believer God's say so is kind of a big deal, it must be difficult to tolerate something your god has fobidden. And of course should we not also have to be tolerant of their religion and their right to believe their god is correct? Or is it only minority views and faiths that have the right to be protected?

Of course it's a different matter when opinions extend into actions that cause other people harm, that's crossing the tolerance line.

I say live and let live, and do no harm, let gays get married and let christians disapprove. : peace:

So why do Christians not approve of homosexuality? Is it simply pure irrational hate? Perhaps for some, or is it largely because their religion, and by extension their god forbides it. If you are a believer God's say so is kind of a big deal, it must be difficult to tolerate something your god has fobidden. And of course should we not also have to be tolerant of their religion and their right to believe their god is correct? Or is it only minority views and faiths that have the right to be protected?

I remember last month when we had the Marriage Referendum here I saw a graph on FB along the lines that those who used the bible as a basis for being anti-gay-marriage did based mainly on a verse in a particular gospel.

Can't find the image now unfortunately so cant remember which gospel it is or the verse, but it basically pointed out that with the same gospel there was also "rules" on not drinking alcohol, not eating pork, no tattoos and even no being allowed to wear jewelry. Of course the "anti-gay" folk would quote the few verses that support their view and ignore the ones they are likely breaking themselves.

But either way when I see someone being down right hateful towards someone for being gay and using their religion and the bible as excuse I always think of this meme

did-i-fucking-stutter.jpg

Actual quote:

John 13:34 - A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

As a hetero Christian, I am very happy when a decision makes millions (or billions?) of people happy.

Pisses me off when so-called religious people feel the need to call the judgements of the Lord etc etc - 'Let ye cast the first stone' and all that. Such a simple concept to grasp.

Good news.

However I'm not comfortable with the level of American and Christian generalising and bashing that often accompanies these sorts of issues, ironically by some of the so-called 'liberals' preaching 'tolerance'.

Tolerance is putting up with something you don't like, meaning you don't have to like something to tolerate it. Therefore I don't think American Christians have to like homosexuality, they just need to tolerate it.

Of course it's a different matter when opinions extend into actions that cause other people harm, that's crossing the tolerance line.

I say live and let live, and do no harm, let gays get married and let christians disapprove. : peace:

It'd be nice if the religious did so little as just disapprove. Many are capable of spewing just as much hate and vitriol, and using their religion to hide behind. With some groups its not uncommon to see them holding "God Hates Fags" signs and more extreme examples from Westboro Baptist Church.

Tolerance can be hard when dealing with some people that are so intolerant. Not all, but plenty are. I've read a fair amount of stories from people that have been disowned by their families as well. It's a sad state, but the world is getting better.

@Agent Gibbs The first quote makes total sense, but only because I think a persons sexuality should be such non issue, and hopefully it will be one day. Like the C&H comic.

I'm more than glad to hear these news. Considering a good chunk of states still forbid gay marriage, it's good to see this measure being taken at a federal level. A much bigger task than doing it for a single country.

Excellent, let them be as fucking miserable as I am! with their sexy tight t-shirts, perfect hair and really awesome house parties. :(