NEurope
Rummy

Let's talk about this place.

I went through a dozen pages on amazon and barely found anything of interest, sadly. The majority are either shooters or openworld games.

I just counted how many games I own on PS4. I own 93* and I only own one shooter; Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare. The majority on Amazon might be shooters or open world games but that doesn't mean that's all there is.

(*Those PS Plus games are a good thing indeed.)

Edited by somme

For starters I don't understand why you want to buy a console you slag off almost every other post, including the one in which you state you're going to buy one.

And secondly, you shouldn't use Amazon as a catalogue for PS4 games. They're mostly going to show the most bought ones, mostly.

I actually own both a PS4 and a WiiU, so am in a better position to judge the "variety" on both consoles than you are, especially as your research into a console you don't own seems to stretch as far as a single search on Amazon.

And lastly, "other console" people tend to only appear negative towards Nintendo because they're disappointed with them these days. I can't speak for everyone but I certainly don't want to dislike anything Nintendo delivers. You, however, seem to lash out at other consoles, especially the PS4, possibly because you feel personally slighted by peoples disappointment with the WiiU. Seems bizarre to me.

I don't think your in a better position to judge the variety of a console just by owning them, I do however agree with you that an amazon search doesn't provide the best reference point either. If someone was to compile a comprehensive list of all physical and digital games for each system I'd feel that a judgement on variety could still be made.

I've never understood the Nintendo boards lashing out exactly as you described. It only seems to flow that way...for example I owned a PS3 and despite having a number of users on here enjoyed numerous online sessions with you don't see them bashing me because I got an Xbox One and that I remain adamant to this day that there are currently more games on Xbox One I like than PS4. However if I dared to say the Xbox One had better variety than Wii U (whether it does is neither here nor there) I know I'd been slaughtered!

Edited by flameboy

I lash out because AAA gaming is so f-ing boring these days and it makes me sad that it only seems to be Nintendo and indie developers who can offer different, innovative experiences.

Ronnie, I share your passion for Nintendo most of the time so I think I kinda agree with that part BUT (and this is not an attack, but maybe some advice which could help you offend less people here) I think it would work out better for you and your relationship with fellow forumers when you change that sentence into:

"I lash out because I find a lot of AAA gaming boring these days and it makes me sad that it only seems to be Nintendo and indie developers who can offer the kind of different, innovative experiences that I like."

I also removed f-ing because to me it feels a little like bait.

I really hope this doesn't sound patronising because I want to help you out. You are one of the guys who still loves Nintendo a lot and can potentially bring a lot more positivity when you choose your words a little milder.

PS: I'm not trying to single you out, this is just one example and I'm not perfect too of course...: peace:

Edited by markderoos

Ronnie, I share your passion for Nintendo most of the time so I think I kinda agree with that part BUT (and this is not an attack, but maybe some advice which could help you offend less people here) I think it would work out better for you and your relationship with fellow forumers when you change that sentence into:

"I lash out because I find a lot of AAA gaming boring these days and it makes me sad that it only seems to be Nintendo and indie developers who can offer the kind of different, innovative experiences that I like."

I also removed f-ing because to me it feels a little like bait.

I really hope this doesn't sound patronising because I want to help you out. You are one of the guys who still loves Nintendo a lot and can potentially bring a lot more positivity when you choose your words a little milder.

PS: I'm not trying to single you out, this is just one example and I'm not perfect too of course...: peace:

No worries point completely taken, I realise I need to be less confrontational in my posting habits.

First of all, thanks for doing this, Rummy. The forum really needed this thread.

As someone who usually tries to avoid the fights, and occasionally calls out some of the flamebait-y comments I come across, I honestly believe everybody here has an issue or the other causing these discussions. It takes two to fight/argue, and such. In fact, I already saw it in this thread, with people not realizing that making a joke at somebody else's expense is a big part of the issue (but Rummy already addressed that, so moving on).

@Serebii: I already know you're socially awkward (it is obvious with everything you post: curt, direct, blunt), and I can see the issues with how you post. I'd advise you to word your posts better, for example, you often use the word "logical" when voicing opinions that are guesses at best. Acting like your words are absolute truth is a sure sign of arrogance, and especially when you call other viewpoints "illogical". More importantly, don't accuse those who disagree with you of "trolling" (which is basically discrediting their viewpoint, except in an even more rude form), since just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trying to rile you up (the recent altercation with you and Daft is a good example).

To the other side, to those who revel in seeing Serebii being wrong or whatever: being hostile to him at every opportunity is basically the same thing that Ronnie has been doing to Wii, jumping at anything he says. I don't care what your personal history with Serebii is, if Glen-i, who has been with us for over a year IIRC, still thinks that the hostility towards Serebii is unwarranted, then there's a severe imbalance there.

Anyway, this is just stuff involving Serebii. There are other core issues to discuss, sure, but I'd rather keep my posts succinct.

I wonder what we're going to call this little period in N-E history, a few years down the line...?

We only complain about you now in PMs due to your new admin-hood

Pretty sure admins can read those :santa: (Just pretend his hat is tinfoil)

It's the lick at the end that does it.

I have never noticed the lick before this....

Can't say I have much to add to this thread. I've read the whole thing (post 154) but I just don't post nearly as much these days as I use to. (3 times in 2014...)

I stay out of the Nintendo board thread for the most part because they do feel toxic. Less discussion and more arguing. It makes it hard to even want to join in and post anything in an established thread.

I definitely disagree with some of the attitude I've seen here, such as the suggestion that people who don't own (or have played) a console or game can't discuss it or be critical of it. Isn't that essentially what we all do pre-release especially during the E3 time of the year? Post-release, we can still make informed posts without having played. However shit-posting shouldn't be allowed and it's a fine line.

Start throwing out infractions, and when those don't work switch to infarctions. (I'm so punny)

I know @Goafer doesn't have much interest in Nintendo these days, but he doesn't bash them.

I'll have you know that I own 2 Amiibo and a Toad Knex figure thing. I am quite the Nintendo fanboy.

I am only posting as I got mentioned and I rarely post these days so as someone who isn't posting because the boards are in such a state, I thought I'd just give my views.

I love Nintendo, and I love playing Nintendo games and love discussing them with other people who are playing too.

Sadly, it's not possible to do that anymore because the threads are always always always derailed by the same group of people, spouting the same stuff all the time.

I try to keep up with threads but sometimes I can read in the morning, have a full day at work and then 12 hours later click back onto it, and 3 pages have passed by.

Is anyone talking about the actual game? No. Not really.

Instead you have the same group of people - not meaning to call out or anything but I'm saying it as it is. You have Ronnie and Serebii who are huge Nintendo fans and, IMO, often post stuff that is great to read. They play everything that comes out (virtually) and always give their opinions on it - which is what everyone wants in a discussion group.

However, sometimes their enthusiasm is taken too far and there's too much of a need to defend Nintendo and the decisions they are making.

This isn't something you see from the likes of dcubed, RedShell, Hero-of-Time, Glen-i and many others who also play a shit tonne of games, post their opinions but are fully aware of the downfalls that come with being a Nintendo console owner and probably why they choose to game elsewhere. Like myself.

Where I don't think Ronnie helps himself, is the constant talk of 'grey shooters' on the other consoles. It's just not true and I understand why other people feel the need to bite back at this because most of the issues here come about from comments made by him that are clearly snide and snarky and don't actually add anything at all.

Having said all this, there is a presence of a certain few members where it seems to me, again - this is just my opinion, they love sticking the boot in and they thrive off the arguments. Sheikah and drahkon the main 2. Where ever there is a heated discussion, I feel like I can put money on the fact that they will be there. I kinda see it like Ronnie and Serebii are Mario and Luigi, defending the Mushroom Kingdom (Nintendo) and Sheikah and drahkon are Wario and Waluigi (wanting to destroy) :laughing:

It's not that dramatic really guys, :heh: but hopefully you can see what I'm saying.

Is the ignore feature even being used here? It's just if I was disagreeing with someone so much I would be doing my best to avoid talking to them as it can't be enjoyable to be embroiled in drama all the time, surely?

I often have no problem with what is being discussed when these arguments take place, but there's just a complete lack of anyone understanding how to talk to each other. Some people are just so condescending and often need to be told about they way they're talking to people. None of us (to my knowledge) are children, but it is often so childish and the thirst for people wanting to get the upper hand on others is frankly, ridiculous.

I feel like this forum has lost a number of great posters who seemed to always be around but you don't see much of anymore. And I don't think it's because 'they've moved off as Nintendo don't cater to them' - those people are all still here. And they all make that opinion known. Nothing wrong with that, but the PS4 has nothing I want for a while, nor has it had but I don't feel the need to go in there and express this once a week just in case people have forgot. i just move to something else.

Ike, -dem0-, Mokong, tapedeck, even Zechs I don't feel post much anymore and it's a shame! There could be other reasons as to why but it seems their presence doesn't feature much. Either that or it's getting lost in the arguments. :heh:

I've waffled. I don't mean to single people out here as I'm sure we've all been responsible for a post that's caused someone some frustration somewhere - myself included. I can't really offer a solution to move forward because it seems to me like it's out of our hands. I think its up to the mods to decide what to do and see if there's a recurring feature from all these posts and address that head on.

Until that happens, my visits and posts here will remain low (I'm sure no ones arsed :laughing: ). Or until we get voice chat. Then Kav might stop fucking moaning every page too and calm will be restored. Slightly. :heh:

I kinda see it like Ronnie and Serebii are Mario and Luigi, defending the Mushroom Kingdom (Nintendo) and Sheikah and drahkon are Wario and Waluigi (wanting to destroy) :laughing:

Let me guess, does that make you Peach? ;)

More importantly, what does that make the PS4?

I'm sorry but that console is in another castle!

It's like everybody has been hypnotized by the "for the gamers" tagline and have become PS4 Terminators.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with that. After E3, I developed a little interest in the PS4 due to some of the games that were revealed. With the Nintendo conference being such a disappointment for me personally, there was certainly a feeling that it may possibly be worthwhile getting a PS4 at some point down the line.

Upon expressing that view, I kindly had a couple of members, who are PS4 owners and clearly read my posts and have deciphered some of the things that make me tick as a gamer, that both suggested that the PS4 may not be the right fit for me.. and I agree :smile:

I didn't feel like I was trying to be recruited into some Sony cult :heh:

I didn't feel like I was trying to be recruited into some Sony cult :heh:

One of us....one of us

I am only posting as I got mentioned and I rarely post these days so as someone who isn't posting because the boards are in such a state, I thought I'd just give my views.

I love Nintendo, and I love playing Nintendo games and love discussing them with other people who are playing too.

Sadly, it's not possible to do that anymore because the threads are always always always derailed by the same group of people, spouting the same stuff all the time.

I try to keep up with threads but sometimes I can read in the morning, have a full day at work and then 12 hours later click back onto it, and 3 pages have passed by.

Is anyone talking about the actual game? No. Not really.

Instead you have the same group of people - not meaning to call out or anything but I'm saying it as it is. You have Ronnie and Serebii who are huge Nintendo fans and, IMO, often post stuff that is great to read. They play everything that comes out (virtually) and always give their opinions on it - which is what everyone wants in a discussion group.

However, sometimes their enthusiasm is taken too far and there's too much of a need to defend Nintendo and the decisions they are making.

This isn't something you see from the likes of dcubed, RedShell, Hero-of-Time, Glen-i and many others who also play a shit tonne of games, post their opinions but are fully aware of the downfalls that come with being a Nintendo console owner and probably why they choose to game elsewhere. Like myself.

Where I don't think Ronnie helps himself, is the constant talk of 'grey shooters' on the other consoles. It's just not true and I understand why other people feel the need to bite back at this because most of the issues here come about from comments made by him that are clearly snide and snarky and don't actually add anything at all.

Having said all this, there is a presence of a certain few members where it seems to me, again - this is just my opinion, they love sticking the boot in and they thrive off the arguments. Sheikah and drahkon the main 2. Where ever there is a heated discussion, I feel like I can put money on the fact that they will be there. I kinda see it like Ronnie and Serebii are Mario and Luigi, defending the Mushroom Kingdom (Nintendo) and Sheikah and drahkon are Wario and Waluigi (wanting to destroy) :laughing:

It's not that dramatic really guys, :heh: but hopefully you can see what I'm saying.

Is the ignore feature even being used here? It's just if I was disagreeing with someone so much I would be doing my best to avoid talking to them as it can't be enjoyable to be embroiled in drama all the time, surely?

I often have no problem with what is being discussed when these arguments take place, but there's just a complete lack of anyone understanding how to talk to each other. Some people are just so condescending and often need to be told about they way they're talking to people. None of us (to my knowledge) are children, but it is often so childish and the thirst for people wanting to get the upper hand on others is frankly, ridiculous.

I feel like this forum has lost a number of great posters who seemed to always be around but you don't see much of anymore. And I don't think it's because 'they've moved off as Nintendo don't cater to them' - those people are all still here. And they all make that opinion known. Nothing wrong with that, but the PS4 has nothing I want for a while, nor has it had but I don't feel the need to go in there and express this once a week just in case people have forgot. i just move to something else.

Ike, -dem0-, Mokong, tapedeck, even Zechs I don't feel post much anymore and it's a shame! There could be other reasons as to why but it seems their presence doesn't feature much. Either that or it's getting lost in the arguments. :heh:

I've waffled. I don't mean to single people out here as I'm sure we've all been responsible for a post that's caused someone some frustration somewhere - myself included. I can't really offer a solution to move forward because it seems to me like it's out of our hands. I think its up to the mods to decide what to do and see if there's a recurring feature from all these posts and address that head on.

Until that happens, my visits and posts here will remain low (I'm sure no ones arsed :laughing: ). Or until we get voice chat. Then Kav might stop fucking moaning every page too and calm will be restored. Slightly. :heh:

It's funny you should say that because we are sometimes involved, but do you wonder why? It's because people get very defensive about Nintendo and can't help but flame people for being critical. Me and drahkon are two relatively critical people when it comes to Nintendo because of the choices they make. But you know what, that should be celebrated! Different people and different points of view and all that. I don't want to read that some people don't want to be here because they want a massive Nintendo circle jerk with no negativity. In fact, I'd rather those people did leave!

I'm going back to the PS4 topic again, but just look at it. A number of times dazzybee or clownferret have made very strong critical comments there but there's just no such reaction. We're fine with people being critical!

Edited by Sheikah

Who said anything about criticism of Nintendo being shouted down on here? If anything the opposite is true. Go for it all you want, the 447 pages on the Wii U thread are a clear indicator that it's absolutely ok to do that. But when the same unfair criticism gets repeated over and over again, don't be surprised if some want to present an alternate pov.

Let me guess, does that make you Peach? ;)

Er - yeah. Duh! Haha.

It's funny you should say that because we are sometimes involved, but do you wonder why? It's because people get very defensive about Nintendo and can't help but flame people for being critical. Me and drahkon are two relatively critical people when it comes to Nintendo because of the choices they make. But you know what, that should be celebrated! Different people and different points of view and all that. I don't want to read that some people don't want to be here because they want a massive Nintendo circle jerk with no negativity. In fact, I'd rather those people did leave!

I'm going back to the PS4 topic again, but just look at it. A number of times dazzybee or clownferret have made very strong critical comments there but there's just no such reaction. We're fine with people being critical!

The thing is, I don't think anyone is looking for a 'nintendo circle jerk'. And it's not the reason people don't post. I think, as I said, it's more to do with the hostility of posts that we often see from people which a lot of people don't want to waste their time getting involved in. It's fine to discuss, but there's a fine line between discussing and voicing your opinion and just being rude. And that's not me saying 'it's you' btw, I mean generally.

I've sat and shook my head in disbelief at some posts on here before and I'm not offended easily, but I imagine a lot of people don't want anything to do with it at all and not because they're just wanting this place to be a Nintendo haven. It's prob because they're better than that.

I like to get a few things off my chest actually:

@kav82 for not being able to voice chat on the PS4 and play MH4 at the same time so we didn't game as much. Also the lack of gaming with him in general

@Zechs Merquise for refusing to get a PS4. We hardly game anymore :(

Glad to get the above off of my chest.

@Ronnie I know we don't know each other but in reading the thread - being a fan of Nintendo at any point has been characterised by people labeling them "kiddy" without really finding anything out about the games. I can understand your frustration at the perceived dichotomy in "samey" statements about the libraries on both of the consoles. What I would say is - when you were disappointed with the games on the ps4, did you ask for recomendations on the other consoles board? (I honestly don't know but I'm sure people could have reccomended some stuff that you might have liked).

It sounds like its the fact that people are happy with hyperbole (positive or negative) rather than looking for nuance

Great post @Aneres11 and one I agree with pretty much completely. I know quite a few big fans stopped posting because the way this site was turning and how negative and bitchy it became, I also massively agree with the names mentioned.

The biggest worry, and this thread is confirming it, is the complete denial of what the potential problem could be. Very concerning.

Thoigh I will say, this airing may change people's behaviour. It will be interesting to see how things go.

Hey guys,

I have been a very long time user of N-Europe, even if nobody of you knows me. :P In fact, I have been visiting this site and its forum for around 4 or 5 years now, don't know exactly. I've registered for the forums 2 years ago, and haven't posted much since. But I did constantly read on the forums, nearly on a daily basis, for all these years.

In my opinion, the general hating and bitching around the Nintendo forum has just recently gotten worse, maybe sometime around last year. And the reason for that is the grief felt by many around the whole Wii U issue. I mean, this is after all the Nintendo Forum, so people around here are basically all Nintendo fans, right? And we all aren't very happy with the Wii U, as it just isn't used very well by Nintendo themselves. Sure, there are some great games for the Wii U, but many of us agree that they could be even better, if only better advertised.

So with this grief some people started making points about Nintendo and what Nintendo did wrong, how to solve it, and so on, and some other people disagreed. Basic discussion, everything normal so far. But now comes the problem: Nothing changed. The same people are still on the "hating site", and the same people are still on the "defending site". And now these people have started to fight against each other, taking out their grief with sometimes very harsh words. And since the overall Wii U situation has not gotten better, people on here have been constantly arguing about the same stuff, for a year now, if not even longer. And nowadays everyone is just exhausted of arguing. And when you don't really want to argue about the same stuff over and over and over again, you start badmouthing and dismissing the other side. Actually, that's pretty normal I'd say, though that doesn't mean it should happen.

So actually, if everyone would just accept that they are just kinda stuck on their sides, then maybe we could all calm down...? Though I don't think that this will happen so easily... so I think we all just gotta wait for the NX, or whatever Nintendo's next home console gonna be, so that everyone can finally be happy about Nintendo again and thus also start being friendly to each other again. :)

wierd thing is...this thread for the most part has been great, lots of discussion, members who i've missed returning to make posts, why can't we always be like this?

But you know what, that should be celebrated! Different people and different points of view and all that.

Agree with you there, and while we both love "love sticking the boot in" (I'd use "love to enter a discussion") and "thrive off the arguments" (I'd much rather say "thrive off the discussions"), it's something I don't want to miss. I love discussing things.

Heck, I have massive discussions about the gaming industry and developers with my best mate every time we meet up to play video games.

However, the constant bickering going in the Nintendo boards takes the fun away. And yes, it's because Nintendo fans on here get way too defensive and in turn the tone switches from friendly to sometimes aggressive.

I'm not innocent, I tend to react passionately and apparently rile people up. I realize that and it should change.

The thing is: This happens only in the Nintendo Boards and again, that's due to certain members and their way of arguing.

And that's why I will stay away from these boards more and more (I can visualize some happy faces right now :p).

Also: People recommending that we should just accept that there are two sides and accept that without further commenting on issues should really think about what they are saying.

If everyone accepts everything discussions come to a halt and this place would die out soon.

Edited by drahkon

...@kav82 for not being able to voice chat on the PS4 and play MH4 at the same time so we didn't game as much. Also the lack of gaming with him in general...

I'd have chatted on Skype, haha.

Also: People recommending that we should just accept that there are two sides and accept that without further commenting on issues should really think about what they are saying.

If everyone accepts everything discussions come to a halt and this place would die out soon.

As I guess you're talking to me, I'll respond:

You didn't get my point at all - I was saying people should accept that they are stuck, not stop arguing.

Maybe I just can't express what I mean so well, as I'm not a native speaker of English. What I mean is that both the hating and the defending side have stopped arguing, they are rather not doing anything else then fighting the other side, never accepting anything, thus being stuck. And it applies to both sides, really.

To instantly say "I understand your point but disagree" wouldn't be the most interesting thing in the world but preferable to the alternative.

The way it seems at the moment is that when people do disagree it envelops the thread. I feel the pain of those (sorry I don't remember names - couldn't see the names/avatars when scrolling on my phone) that try to make points only for them to be buried in the fervent argument of two people getting more heated than they need be.

With two people shouting at each other in a room others can't be heard and nobody else can talk. At least people agreeing to disagree lets other people have a conversation.