NEurope
Rummy

Let's talk about this place.

with the Wii situation could he come back under a different user name once the changes are implemented? just thinking out loud because i have noticed the drop in nintendo news

but also a drop in arguments and bad atmosphere

To be fair, since Iwata's passing, Nintendo has been overly quiet on everything.

It's unfortunate that a member was banned, it hasn't happened in a long, long time. But we made the rules about three red infractions and we have to stick to them, otherwise they lose all value. His last red was for being directly, intentionally rude to a member of staff. Posting a lot of news doesn't give you the right to be rude.

I'll never understand why so many members make entire posts simply for the purpose of making another member feel bad, no matter how strongly you disagree with them. Being intentionally antagonistic like that, quoting people and breaking down what they say, peppering it with insults, isn't just breaking the rules, it's a disturbing, unsociable and unpleasant action, and I don't want people like that on here.

Edited by Shorty

This might be a small thing, but when you put someone on your ignore list, you can still see that they've posted and it only takes one curious click to see their post. Is there ay way to hide their post completely?

How about shadow-banning people for a period?

You've all probably talked about this numerous times but I didn't think it'd hurt to chime in.

also not getting notifications etc. from ignored people could be useful.. and not seeing their names attributed in post quotes...

would it also be possible to add a daily post limit as a way of making offenders reconsider what is appropriate to post. If you can only make 5 posts a day you may want to think if you really want to make a personal attack on an individual. Maybe also limit the sizes of their posts so they don't really have room to post constructively AND take a dig in the same post.

Just thinking if they are put in a situation where they have to choose constructive posts/trolling posts it may go towards rehabilitating people. It would be harsh, but not as harsh as a ban. I think of it as a prison sentence vs a death sentence.

Bans seem more appropriate where the poster is being malicious purely with the intent of being malicious to the person being targeted.. attacking the person because of their idea rather than attacking the idea because of the person expressing it. Although actually I would say there is one member who perhaps fell in the latter character when it came to Wii.

It's unfortunate that a member was banned, it hasn't happened in a long, long time. But we made the rules about three red infractions and we have to stick to them, otherwise they lose all value.

I agree rules need to be adhered to by all in order to have an effect, however an amnesty is also a rule of sorts, so if the mods decide to "reset" things with the introduction of new rules I wouldn't say it would undermine your authority.

Perhaps just have a stern word with the unbanned members and give them a provisional red infraction that will expire after a certain time?

This might be a small thing, but when you put someone on your ignore list, you can still see that they've posted and it only takes one curious click to see their post. Is there ay way to hide their post completely?

How about shadow-banning people for a period?

You've all probably talked about this numerous times but I didn't think it'd hurt to chime in.

I do recall someone posted in the Forum forum about a browser extension that can properly hide the posts.

I'm not sure how I feel on the shadow-banning front, I'd personally not be much in favour though it would make things easier in terms of the protests we get from people - I feel it's more ignoring a problem rather than tackling it(also no idea on the ease of implementation front).

Post limiting etc I am more in favour of - and similar to why I've utilised thread bans. They're not full forum bans but do hopefully make people reconsider if the topic they wish to talk about is taken away from them for untoward behaviour.

So yesterday we had a topic started on this part of the boards and once again it highlighted the various issues that plague this place.

The topic in question was about Iwatas leadership and while the topic title could have been a little better, the discussion of what he brought to the table, and the mis-steps that happened while he was in charge, could have been an interesting discussion. Instead, straight out of the gate, we have posters attacking the opinion of the topic creator. Rather than people posting their own thoughts about the pros and cons of Iwata, the conversation turned into bickering, list wars and people picking apart other peoples posts.

So yesterday we had a topic started on this part of the boards and once again it highlighted the various issues that plague this place.

The topic in question was about Iwatas leadership and while the topic title could have been a little better, the discussion of what he brought to the table, and the mis-steps that happened while he was in charge, could have been an interesting discussion. Instead, straight out of the gate, we have posters attacking the opinion of the topic creator. Rather than people posting their own thoughts about the pros and cons of Iwata, the conversation turned into bickering, list wars and people picking apart other peoples posts.

Yup, ended up going way off topic. I do think that the topic overall was in pretty poor taste though. Sure it's fine to criticize, but when you've got people just outright saying that he knew nothing about business at all, it just feels wholly inappropriate.

The same cyclical arguments just keep coming back time and time again. It's so dull just seeing people say the same things over and over again.

It could be interesting to discuss the various perspectives of his tenure, but nope. Instead we get the same tired arguments about Nintendo's current business practices and the same crappy attack/defense attitudes and Nintendo vs Sony/MS nonsense.

Edited by Dcubed

If the original post in the topic had actually contained reasoned, balanced discussion maybe the replies wouldn't have been so dismissive. The topic continued into Nintendo's business practises, which I don't see as OT at all. It's not exactly surprising that arguments start when people start dismissing Iwata's great work.

Yeah, I'm with Ronnie on this. The discussion is a valid one, and it did actually go into that without people slamming eachother (for the most part, Sheikah did start turning to the personal insults again). The first post of the topic, however, was not good. It was offensive, inflammatory and frankly, had a lot of bizarre arguments.

I fail to see why people see the post as some kind of threat or something and went all up in arms. I could clearly see what darkjak was trying to discuss. Yes, he could have put it across a little better but everyone seem to jump on his thoughts rather than just expressing their own.

I fail to see why people see the post as some kind of threat or something and went all up in arms. I could clearly see what darkjak was trying to discuss. Yes, he could have put it across a little better but everyone seem to jump on his thoughts rather than just expressing their own.

Is that not a point of a discussion? Not to just post your own thoughts but to question others? Try to gain insight as to why they think that way and possibly help them see the other side as they try to help you see theirs?

Is that not a point of a discussion? Not to just post your own thoughts but to question others? Try to gain insight as to why they think that way and possibly help them see the other side as they try to help you see theirs?

Yeah, but not off the bat. How about people post their own thoughts first and then start discussing comparisons and differences between each point of view, rather than going on the attack straight away.

I found the title itself distasteful and offensive.

I also know that was not intentional.

But it was the reason for me not joining the discussion, I knew it would become another mud fight.

So my two cents: again both sides at "fault":

1. The title is offensive and suggestive to people who have another opinion. You have a choice in taking a little more effort in making a less offensive title.

2. Usual defensive members have a choice not to join in and turn the discussion into a fight/take it personal.

To be honest, the Nintendo boards are so shitty that I've just stopped going in that section at all anymore. Its a shame but if I have something to talk about Nintendo related, I go to whole other forums. This is the only thread in the Nintendo section I bother reading now.

Oh you guys. This is actually Sony's fault as I spent all day playing my PS4 rather than moderating! :rolleyes: I saw the topic in the morning, but it seems I foolishly hoped for better.

I'd disagree with the sentiments of above - anyone's free to post what/how they like(even if it's terribly expressing opinions, or terribly responding); and free to respond to such.

What doesn't help is when people attack the poster making the arguments rather than the arguments themselves - the line can be subtle, but the third response in the thread(as I haven't read it all) is exactly that;

Is that really the best you can do, when it comes to reviewing Iwata's tenure?

There was no hyperbole around the time of his passing, it was genuine and deserved praise. If you're going to stick the knife in at least come up with insightful comments about his handling of Nintendo.

Can anyone genuinely tell me what the bolded parts offer in terms of discussion, rather than being inflammatory remarks bordering on attack?

There's a strange air of paranoia and 'us and them'. People really need to get over that.

It's probably too late now, but I'm gonna go through and clean the thread up a bit. Hmm. Didn't realise how off-topic of sorts it went.

Edited by Rummy

I never saw it as that bad, after reading this thread I was expecting warfare but it seemed okay. What I find funny is that although the the thread went into another direction to its intention, which was a lot of peoples faults, but at least it was a discussion of sorts, albeit one that's been had many many times before. Funny no one mentions actually the only irritating posts to me - Goafers contributions, both antagonistic, and an unnecessary "gif" which seemed to be welcoming yet another horrible debate.... They seemed to be the only posts that offered nothing and certainly weren't helping matters!!

@Rummy can you tell me why a comment at least directed as part of a discussion wound you up more than my examples? Other than the person who posted it?

Because I'd only gotten to the first few posts of the thread, as I said :p

My issue is nothing to do with the poster(again, paranoia, us and them) and I specifically left the name out. My issue is the personally antagonistic nature of it, implying some sort of intent by the OP beyond the post itself.

The latter ones you've brought up are also completely useless. I am not in defence of them at all. I did post my question genuinely, rather than rhetorically. If anyone can tell me what positives it offers, I'm interested.

Edited by Rummy

Funny no one mentions actually the only irritating posts to me - Goafers contributions, both antagonistic, and an unnecessary "gif" which seemed to be welcoming yet another horrible debate.... They seemed to be the only posts that offered nothing and certainly weren't helping matters!!

Nobody mentions them because they both were posts made in jest and everybody knew that. They did nothing harmful.

Yes, they didn't contribute anything but they were intended to ligthen up the mood.

Only in these boards people would be annoyed by something like that.

Haha, fair enough.

Yeah maybe, it's not that bad, but slightly antagonistic I guess. I just felt that posts I mentioned were FAR FAR worse, nothing to do with any discussion and purely to either wind people up or encourage a bitch fest.

Nobody mentions them because they both were posts made in jest and everybody knew that. They did nothing harmful.

Yes, they didn't contribute anything but they were intended to ligthen up the mood.

Only in these boards people would be annoyed by something like that.

I don't know if people did, bit they were completely pointless and you know exactly what things get like so they would only make things worse. The fact they weren't funny or witty in anyway doesn't help. Saying that nintendo fans will get defensive so lets jump to the end isn't "light" it could annoy some people! Same with "nintendo casuals" it's just childish.

I don't know if people did, bit they were completely pointless and you know exactly what things get like so they would only make things worse.

They didn't make anything worse, though. They were an attempt to lighten the mood and that failed. However, this doesn't mean they caused trouble.

They didn't make anything worse, though. They were an attempt to lighten the mood and that failed. However, this doesn't mean they caused trouble.

But with the history of the two sides of that debate we've seen so many times before they were not only irritatingly childish, but exactly what is not needed. But we'll just disagree, I don't actually care too much, like you say didn't cause too much of an issue and were pretty much ignored, but if that tread is getting attacked (I didn't actually think it was too bad, just crazy off topic) those posts were the most antagonistic of them all.

Your viewpoint is they don't make anything worse and mostly, they don't. They are however useless, and inflammatory, as there's certainly some who won't find them funny or amusing. However whilst pointless - I find them a lesser crime in that they don't directly attack anyone personally(usually) which I think is the great creator of the tension that arises on the boards. On which note - I see nobody presenting any arguments against my previously quoted post, which I'll take to assume I'm not incorrect.

I have other things to be doing... but seriously this is quite amusing.

Its a good demonstration of the primal tribal tendencies of our species.

Lots of idiots spout out the religion = war crap. Actually it's this exact thing.

Ideas being promoted above individuals. It can be religion.. sports and evidently even video games.

The solution is for the individuals concerned to tone things down.

You are an individual first and foremost (I hope!) and so are the other users on this forum.

I think respect was something brought up earlier in this thread.. and actually self respect is something I think a few people have to revisit.

I'll pick Serebii as an example of how his respect could be misplaced.

His life is quite strongly influenced by Pokemon. It would be quite easy for him to place importance on that franchise and begin to "lose himself" into it to the point that an attack on pokemon feels to him that he himself is being attacked.

(Apologies Serebii you are just the easiest example I could think of to demonstrate my point)

I have to go for now, but I will finish this later :P

I'll pick Serebii as an example of how his respect could be misplaced.

His life is quite strongly influenced by Pokemon. It would be quite easy for him to place importance on that franchise and begin to "lose himself" into it to the point that an attack on pokemon feels to him that he himself is being attacked.

(Apologies Serebii you are just the easiest example I could think of to demonstrate my point)

I'm going to stab you in the shin now :p

Haha na it's cool