NEurope
Rummy

Let's talk about this place.

Please feel free to show my pathetic behaviour Moogle, i certainly cannot think of any such examples, as i have in this thread tried to remain neutral as i do in all threads

While he's at it, he could go and show mine. I feel unfairly judged, just because I mentioned some names.

Did you even read my post? or just pick all posts that mentioned names in them?

I'm 95% sure it was the second scenario.

I should mention I mostly took the mentions from the list of posters in the Wii U General thread then added a couple more in who were more active around the other threads - I couldn't be sure who was and wasn't here for whatever reason anymore.

Anyway - apologies for my post last night/this morning. I don't think I was making the most sense at gone 1am. However I've been back in the thread and it does highlight something I know Flink, and I think King_V himself, have both hit on before as an issue that comes up sometimes.

I don't think the point was ever the feasibility, it was supposed to be a space for people to speculate about something and maybe, for a change, not be negative about Nintendo which has been a large complaint raised.

Yet some people felt a need to put a stop to/argue against that, killing the dreams and creativity that people wanted to have with arguments of feasibility and realistic goals despite the first line in the thread asking for otherwise. Nobody in that thread is trying to be negative. They're just being speculative about something they like - but it seems when a space comes up for that, some people get too hardline about how it won't or never would work, rather than fostering or furthering the general speculation. It almost kills the topic in its tracks - you end up not wanting to post because someone's going to come in soon after and shut down your creative ideas and it's draining.

What does that then inspire people to feel and post about in the future, if at all?

All I was saying was that the games as they are wouldn't work on a home console so there would have to be a justification and was trying to steer the discussion as to what could be that justification

And yes, the following is arrogant (fair warning), yet true. It's not me being blunt or anything but I am the foremost knowledgeable person about Pokémon in the world. I know what I'm on about.

Therefore, the attempts to shut me down, saying I'm stubborn and insinuating that I don't know what I'm on about was out of line. All I was doing was trying to make the discussion as to how we could make it so it could work and be a feasible thing. I made sure I wasn't saying "OH MY GOD, this will never happen." and was trying to further the topic so we could discuss awesome feasible ideas for it.

Edited by Serebii

And yes, the following is arrogant (fair warning), yet true. It's not me being blunt or anything but I am the foremost knowledgeable person about Pokémon in the world. I know what I'm on about.

I'm not gonna dispute that you know a veritable ton about Pokemon, but seriously, that kind of statement is not gonna help you one bit.

Your ego is out of control.

It's a fact though. Has nothing to do with ego and the insinuation and implication that I don't know what I'm talking about in regards to Pokémon was a bit off.

I was trying to turn that thread into one of positivity by essentially saying "Well a straight translation of the Pokémon wouldn't really work, so there'd need to be a justification. What would it be?"

I'm not gonna dispute that you know a veritable ton about Pokemon, but seriously, that kind of statement is not gonna help you one bit.

It was the implication that I was stubborn and blunt that pushed me over the edge with this.

People can trash me for my views on Nintendo, that's fine. But don't question my knowledge of Pokémon. I do not react well to people trying to talk down to me in regards to that.

You don't know you're the most knowledgeable person in the world though about Pokémon, do you? Unless you've interviewed every single person in the world. Can't you see how you come across to people when you say things like that?

Not only that, but even if it were true it doesn't relate to the situation at hand. How does knowing Pokémon stats off by heart, for instance, relate to this? If anything, being very hardcore into Pokémon like you are means you see a lot more importance in portability than probably the vast majority of people who play Pokémon (who do not attend events). You're arguing how integral portability is based on how you feel rather than how most punters would probably feel. It's fine to express your opinion, but you should probably realise that a Pokemaniac does not necessarily know how the series should best evolve to suit the majority.

You don't know you're the most knowledgeable person in the world though about Pokémon, do you? Unless you've interviewed every single person in the world. Can't you see how you come across to people when you say things like that?

Not only that, but even if it were true it doesn't relate to the situation at hand. How does knowing Pokémon stats off by heart, for instance, relate to this? If anything, being very hardcore into Pokémon like you are means you see a lot more importance in portability than probably the vast majority of people who play Pokémon (who do not attend events). You're arguing how integral portability is based on how you feel rather than how most punters would probably feel. It's fine to express your opinion, but you should probably realise that a Pokemaniac does not necessarily know how the series should best evolve to suit the majority.

Or it means I know about how the franchise actually is and so knows if things work and/or will not work. It's not based on "how I feel", I make sure to disassociate emotion from this.

Do you not realise how arrogant you are being by implying that you are the majority and I am not just because we have differing opinions? Difference is, my view of the series is based on fact whereas yours is not.

Dispute with me on Nintendo if you must, but arguing with me about Pokémon is futile. The hostility I have now received because of my comments is ridiculous and stands as evidence to the vitriol that is aimed at me just because I am me. Yes, I am arrogant (and in regards to Pokémon there is ample reason), but I was trying to shift that thread to discuss plausible home console Pokémon arrangements and that's where the excitement comes...from the speculation of what is actually possible, not pipe dreams. I was trying to use the knowledge I have so the discussion would go on and be fun, yet once again I get toxicity just because I deviate from the N-Europe hivemindset that Nintendo/Game Freak don't know what they're doing.

Edited by Serebii

Not only that, but even if it were true it doesn't relate to the situation at hand. How does knowing Pokémon stats off by heart, for instance, relate to this?

He keeps a very close eye on how Pokemon games are handled before release as well, even in Japan. It's not just a knowledge of the games themselves. It's a knowledge of how the games are advertised, and the many PR campaigns that The Pokemon Company do along with it. This is especially noteworthy in Japan, which has many, MANY Pokemon PR stunts.

Also, Japan are crazy into portability, it's not all about Europe.

Simply dismissing his knowledge because he puts way more time into the whole franchise than the majority of fans is a little bit deluded. He knows what he's on about. Definitely more so than you or me.

He keeps a very close eye on how Pokemon games are handled before release as well, even in Japan. It's not just a knowledge of the games themselves. It's a knowledge of how the games are advertised, and the many PR campaigns that The Pokemon Company do along with it. This is especially noteworthy in Japan, which has many, MANY Pokemon PR stunts.

Also, Japan are crazy into portability, it's not all about Europe.

Simply dismissing his knowledge because he puts way more time into the whole franchise than the majority of fans is a little bit deluded. He knows what he's on about. Definitely more so than you or me.

Knowing about this doesn't mean he knows a home console game isn't wise though. Keeping up with PR stunts, in fact, has nothing to do with the matter.

I think this forum alone is a reasonable sample size to show how people would love one. As I say, it's his wants rather than him 'knowing'.

Knowing about this doesn't mean he knows a home console game isn't wise though. Keeping up with PR stunts, in fact, has nothing to do with the matter.

I think this forum alone is a reasonable sample size to show how people would love one. As I say, it's his wants rather than him 'knowing'.

Dude, the majority of Japan would disagree with us.

And the Japanese Pokemon fan base is way, way, way larger than us lot!

And I was under the impression that Serebii would like home console Pokemon games, he was trying to point out that a game with the same kind of structure as the mainline series is very likely to stay portable. And I totally agree.

It was when people started suggesting he had no idea what he was on about that he started to take offense.

He had nothing against new projects that would count as spin-offs.

Not really. Considering many aren't Pokémon fans and others proclaim they haven't touched a Pokémon game in quite a while because of it being samey, then proceed to state they want a main game on a home console. It's hypocrisy and wouldn't work.

Also, it's not just "PR Stunts". Read what was actually said. I keep a close eye on EVERYTHING Pokémon. Including demographics, polls etc. So yes, I am fully capable of knowing what I'm talking about and how a home console game would go down.

And I was under the impression that Serebii would like home console Pokemon games, he was trying to point out that a game with the same kind of structure as the mainline series is very likely to stay portable. And I totally agree.

Exactly. I was bringing up the topic to be "What justification could there be which would warrant a home console game?" Basically getting a talking point as to what cool stuff they can do on a home console that can potentially offset the demographic loss. However, and @Sheikah is evidence of this right here, people just jump on me because it's me and think "Serebii knows nothing. He is wrong, I am right" and then attack me, forgetting the context of my knowledge here and then try to talk down my knowledge, as can be seen in his posts in this very thread.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

And I was under the impression that Serebii would like home console Pokemon games, he was trying to point out that a game with the same kind of structure as the mainline series is very likely to stay portable.

I'll respond to this later when on my PC as I believe what is being claimed here and there (particularly with regards to the conversation that has just happened) is being lost on a few.

Edit - Looking back at the post here that started this particular discussion:

All I was saying was that the games as they are wouldn't work on a home console so there would have to be a justification and was trying to steer the discussion as to what could be that justification

Therefore, the attempts to shut me down, saying I'm stubborn and insinuating that I don't know what I'm on about was out of line. All I was doing was trying to make the discussion as to how we could make it so it could work and be a feasible thing. I made sure I wasn't saying "OH MY GOD, this will never happen." and was trying to further the topic so we could discuss awesome feasible ideas for it.

The arrogance in the previous post was certainly something that triggered my response, but also the bolded part. Being knowledgeable about the series doesn't mean you 'know' a different entry in the series can't work. If you disagree, please discuss this with me as I'm pretty clueless as to how you can claim you know something to be true, then bring up Pokemon knowledge as an excuse.

Edited by Sheikah

The whole issue in that thread was that very few (if any) people were suggesting the games as they are on a home console, but rather various varieties of epic RPG/MMO/adventure title, so you were debating a completely different thing to everybody else for the first ~5 pages of the thread. Indeed, King_V's opening post discussed the games like XD, Colosseum and Snap and how to build on those. Reread the first page of it - a few people used words like "a real Pokemon game" - but if you read the rest of those posts you see that all are suggesting enough changes that by your own definition later in the thread wouldn't be qualifying as "the games as they are". I refer you to my previous post about the circular arguments.

The whole issue in that thread was that very few (if any) people were suggesting the games as they are on a home console, but rather various varieties of epic RPG/MMO/adventure title, so you were debating a completely different thing to everybody else for the first ~5 pages of the thread. Indeed, King_V's opening post discussed the games like XD, Colosseum and Snap and how to build on those. Reread the first page of it - a few people used words like "a real Pokemon game" - but if you read the rest of those posts you see that all are suggesting enough changes that by your own definition later in the thread wouldn't be qualifying as "the games as they are". I refer you to my previous post about the circular arguments.

Yeah, and I was agreeing with those, stating they'd be a spin-off and I was all for it...

Is Serebii's site quite popular or something? I just figured it was a fan site.

Now that's an understatement!

It's not me being blunt or anything but I am the foremost knowledgeable person about Pokémon in the world.

You know this as fact? Surely there is someone in Japan.

How popular is your site in Japan?

Yeah, and I was agreeing with those, stating they'd be a spin-off and I was all for it...

After 4 pages of arguing about it, aye :heh:

You know this as fact? Surely there is someone in Japan.

How popular is your site in Japan?

Japanese sites and Twitters use it as reference all the time.

It's the most popular fansite in the world.

Ok now that you've stipulated in the Pokemon niche, I can believe it.

The point I think a lot of us are trying to say is... we get it, we get you run a popular site. Well done you. I'm sure people who care about Pokemon love it. We get that you have a reason to be arrogant, the point is... that doesn't mean you have to be arrogant. You could try being humble, and not mentioning how you're the foremost expert, how you are the Pokemon Professor, how we should bow to your knowledge of the games. You honestly couldn't sound like more of a bell if you tried when you start spouting that kind of thing, which is a shame because I think you add a huge amount to these boards and your positivity is something to be proud of.

A bit of humility is infinitely more personable a trait than rubbing your sites popularity in our faces at every opportunity. IMO.

/ninjasmoke

Well hello dearies...

I'm glad this is getting discussed. This is the first time I've posted in a while because spending my time on these boards was making me miserable. It was toxic, cyclical and (going to be frank here) I've come to actually dislike many of the regulars because frankly, you're just horrible to each other.

I've been running a real life Nintendo community with people in my local area, hosting event supported by Nintendo UK fairly directly. And you know what I've learned? There are lots of people out there who love Nintendo, really really love it and they're not even interested in a discussion about can't/won't/hasn't/should/must. They're only interested in sharing their positive experiences.

I'm not sure that you can moderate the systemic and cultural problem that the Nintendo board has at the moment. I don't think it's fair to hammer people for being pessimistic about a company that a large fraction of us are having a long slow divorce with and equally I think it's a shame when people dump on those that are trying to liven up the place with some more creative discussion. For instance, I thought Nintendo's E3 showing was poor. I complained a little but honestly just went and got excited about the games that I liked (none of these were Nintendo).

A positive step could be to distract people who are getting in a negative rut by reminding them about stuff they like. Far too often here do people yell at others who are obviously unhappy or hurting (even in the most minor, hobby related way) because something that is dear to them is changing or disappearing.

OK, I came into the thread actively trying not to pick up on something that you personally have said but it is difficult not to respond to this.

I genuinely believe that you know a lot about Pokémon and Game Freak but this bolded point right here? How do you think other people are going to read that?

From my point of view (and because you're making a absolute statement) you are defending here, HARD. I understand that's because you often feel threatened because people attack you here. But you don't have anything that you need to prove to anyone here. You can have your opinion and they can have theirs and you won't come across as weak or wrong because you let someone think something different to you.

I've not read the thread that you're referencing and in the past I've been guilty of plenty of raging and arguing but I know you well enough to see your pattern. You started off that paragraph with "And yes, the following is arrogant (fair warning)" but that doesn't excuse you from trying to laud yourself over people. When you feel the need to write this, then you're likely to need to take a second before you go any further. You're knowledge is not absolute, no one's is. And I think that you'd enjoy this place a lot more if you just concentrated on contributing your information rather than trying to convince people. Your arguments with Sheikah are a perfect example of "you can lead horse to water but you can't make it drink". Most of the time, you've both stated your information and need to just disagree and move on.

...And that's fine.

That's my two penneth and purely my perspective. I've learnt that my opinion on what Nintendo do has no bearing on why I play there games. Sure it's interesting to discuss but I actually don't care. And caring too much is quite a big thing around here.

Sure it is

Serebii forums, Most users ever online 5,805 total members 291,116.

Totally unscientific, but he obviously does run a popular site. He may be arrogant at times, but there is high traffic.

Hell I've used the site to find out random shit while playing pokemon. It's the best knowledge base on random shit I've seen.

Edit: saw your reply that you believe it for pokemon.