NEurope
Rummy

Let's talk about this place.

Voice chat criticism is fair (if endless and repetitive), criticism about samey games most certainly is not.

I'd disagree and say that most Nintendo games (first party) are quite samey. Nothing wrong with that, most developers have a certain style and Nintendo are no different.

The problem comes when Nintendo are one of very few companies still supporting the WiiU, starving it of variety.

Don't make me get that PS4 screenshot out again :P

We've already proved about four hundred times you're wrong on that front.

I can understand why people feel the WiiU games are more samey than other platforms. They've less third party games and less of an indie scene whilst also having a lot of sequels. There are a few fresh experience, such as Splatoon and ZombiU but, for me anyway, it all feels a little "been there, done that".

Obviously I'm not saying the games aren't good. I think MK8 is probably the best game in the series since MK64.

Edited by somme

Why do you always try and point score? It's not a competition, (well it kinda is...), but you get my point. Just because somebody doesn't like something Nintendo does, doesn't mean that you HAVE to bring up something you don't like about other consoles. It's just sad.

Why do you always try and point score? It's not a competition, (well it kinda is...), but you get my point. Just because somebody doesn't like something Nintendo does, doesn't mean that you HAVE to bring up something you don't like about other consoles. It's just sad.

Exactly. Instead of talking about the topic at hand he just tries to deflect it elsewhere.

Exactly. Instead of talking about the topic at hand he just tries to deflect it elsewhere.

It's like Link and a Deku Scrub. :awesome:

Nope you haven't in the slightest. In no world will anyone convince me that this is a more diverse range of games than on Wii U:

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1763422&postcount=11071

Now I absolutely will admit that the Wii U has a 'been there done it' feel. Not as much as other consoles obviously, but given Nintendo's reliance on established franchises it is there and I'll freely admit it. But genre wise it's major titles span a far greater range.

I'd disagree and say that most Nintendo games (first party) are quite samey. Nothing wrong with that, most developers have a certain style and Nintendo are no different.

The problem comes when Nintendo are one of very few companies still supporting the WiiU, starving it of variety.

I'm certainly in the "too many platformers" camp and it's probably a bit unfair. Certainly Splatoon, MK, Smash all offer very different and brilliant experiences, but for me and I'm sure a lot of others this came about during the period that EA declared they were not making any more Wii U games, others were scaling back and Nintendo's upcoming roster contained Mario 3D, Donkey Kong, Captain Toad and Yoshi and it certainly felt like if you didn't want a platformer there was very little else on the horizon.

And what about if you didn't want a shooter or openworld action/RPG? What's left on the PS4? Not much, believe me I've looked.

Splatoon, Mario Kart, Smash, Pikmin, Xenoblade and Star Fox are all different gaming exeperiences to each other.

This isn't the thread for that discussion, this is the thread for discussing why the fuck we can't put that and other arguments to rest and keep from shitting up other threads.

Why not have a drivel ban? If someone is talking drivel, delete their comments and anyone who replies to it.

I can understand why people feel the WiiU games are more samey than other platforms. They've less third party games and less of an indie scene whilst also having a lot of sequels. There are a few fresh experience, such as Splatoon and ZombiU but, for me anyway, it all feels a little "been there, done that".

You've only proved him wrong in the same way he's proved you wrong... It's all opinions!!

Find it weird that Ronnie is condemned for saying the PS4 lacks variety when that's exactly what everyone, including most replies to Ronnies claim that the wii u doesn't have variety...

And it isn't even an interesting argument.

PS Somme I'm not saying you've condemned him, many others have

Edited by dazzybee

And what about if you didn't want a shooter or openworld action/RPG? What's left on the PS4? Not much, believe me I've looked.

Racers (both simulation and arcade), fighting games, sports games, RTSs, whatever genre Telltale games are.

Where are these on the WiiU? Hell, find me one game that features a great story, but doesn't feature cartoony graphics. All I can think of is Bayonetta, and I certainly wouldn't say the story was great in that (at least not the first).

I'm willing to bet (but not do the legwork) that the PS4 (or Xbox) covers more genres than the WiiU.

Splatoon, Mario Kart, Smash, Pikmin, Xenoblade and Star Fox are all different gaming exeperiences to each other.

FYI I don't have any shooters or open world action/RPGs and my PS4 catalogue is huge lol.

I think this page helps to highlight the problems with this forum right now. The topic is to discuss things that are currently plaguing the forum and yet it has become just another place to argue about PS4 and Wii U deficiencies.. like every other thread :nono:

I think this page helps to highlight the problems with this forum right now. The topic is to discuss things that are currently plaguing the forum and yet it has become just another place to argue about PS4 and Wii U deficiencies.. like every other thread :nono:

Ah, but at least the other threads are spotless and serene now. This thread is like the flame that attracts the shit argument moths.

Good thread. Important that an open, honest discussion takes place sometimes to clear the air.

Look I'm a 32yr old guy with a passion for Nintendo. But the Nintendo I grew up on has changed. I feel the frustration but when I look at my games collection it still offers joy. You see, at the heart of everything are still those games that have the Nintendo magic.

I come here to talk about that, revel in Nintendo and feel part of a community. During the GC years I needed a place like this to lurk. It made me feel I wasn't alone as a Nintendo fan. People forget how bad that generation was for European Nintendo console owners. Point is, it is the games we come to talk about, the games keep us together. (Bind us, surround us etc lol).

Unfortunately, the games seem to be driving some folk mad. Many seem to be here with a form of psychosis - perpetually telling everyone what Nintendo should be doing - against what is actually happening in reality. In such circumstances many a thread has been ruined by discussions on what games DON'T have. Sure, state your grievances - that's fine and welcome. But when it becomes all encompassing and de-rails threads, I'd rather spend my time somewhere else.

I would just ask folk to think before posting.

'We' are N-Europe after all.

What it is, is a reflection of who we are.

Racers (both simulation and arcade), fighting games, sports games, RTSs, whatever genre Telltale games are.

Where are these on the WiiU

Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Wii Sports Club and Pikmin 3.

Then add Star Fox, Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade, Wonderful 101, Zelda, Lego City, Bayonetta, NintendoLand, Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong, Splatoon, Captain Toad, Monster Hunter, Zombie U, NES Remix, Need for Speed, Mario Maker and Animal Crossing. Each of those a totally different genre from the other.

Edited by Ronnie

Seriously, no need for any more list wars. We should all be able to recite the Wii U and PS4's library by heart by now!

I think the point has been made.

X doesn't like console A because they feel its library mostly consists of one or two genres of games.

Which is an opinion.

Both ways the argument's gone -- the point is that the person who holds the opinion will not change their mind.

So for the sake of it, why not just... accept this? And not try to convince that person anymore? No more defending your console with the same-but-reversed comment about the other console.

The arguments are all the same.

I have this console because I think that this other console does not have the variety of games that I want.

"What about other people who have this other console?"

Why does it matter to me?

"It should matter because that's a lot of people so their opinion should count."

Why should it matter to me?

"Because if you discredit the opinions of others then why should others give credit about your opinion?"

Why should it matter to me?

... That's how it reads in every thread, anyway. And that can fairly be applied to the argument either for Wii U or for PS4 (or for XB1). How about a future future where you may want to consider just... stopping. Or not rising to the bait. Both sides.

Just ignore comments you feel are stupid.

This isn't the thread for this type of discussion.

I've not really been posting in this thread much, but one thing I think could be done to actually improve things would be to actually post information in the appropriate threads. Even if that means making new threads entirely.

I think there's even a Diversity thread relating to colour in General Gaming, so this sorta stuff could go there. And then, the people that want to take part in that discussion have their thread/place to do it, and everybody else can then discuss freely all of the other stuff without it being bogged down by lists and shtuff.

So many people are claiming that it's a select few people who are causing the issue. Well here are the people who have either been named, or have named somebody as the issue (for most names it's both):

@Glen\-i

@Hero\-of\-Time

@drahkon

@MadDog

@Agent Gibbs

11 members. That's far higher than the number of people who have conducted themselves in this thread with a sense of decorum, and tried to discuss the issue rather than just turn the thread into a slanging match. And I've only chosen the people who have specifically named or been named. There are a few others who have posted childishly, made general insults and comments along the lines of "I won't name specifically but they know who they are". Well I also know who they are, it's all of you. The majority of the people posting in this thread have been incredibly fucking childish. I always thought that the issue with this forum was that most of our members were older, and we were struggling to recruit younger members. Well I should have just visited the Nintendo board more often to realise that the average mental age barely makes double figures.

@Rummy, you want my advice? I'd take a hard stance in this board. Clearly the majority don't know how to be civil, so if they're going to act like children then treat them as such. Start handing out infractions whenever somebody gets unnecessarily angry, points fingers, throws insults etc. Or start to make ignore lists compulsory. If you don't like it every time a particular member posts, then put them on your ignore list, that's what it's there for.

P.S. if any of you want to cry about being mentioned here, then please let me know and I'll happily point out the copious amount of posts exemplifying your pathetic behaviour.

Edited by MoogleViper

Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Wii Sports Club and Pikmin 3.

Then add Star Fox, Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade, Wonderful 101, Zelda, Lego City, Bayonetta, NintendoLand, Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong, Splatoon, Captain Toad, Monster Hunter, Zombie U, NES Remix, Need for Speed, Mario Maker and Animal Crossing. Each of those a totally different genre from the other.

You know full well what I meant by the list. Where are the sim/arcade racers (kart games are a genre of their own), "proper" beat 'em ups and sim sports games, all of which are quite popular genres. Granted you gave me Need for Speed, but one game isn't enough to cater for a whole console generation.

And I'm still not seeing a non cartoony, story driven game. But I guess that proves my point of people ignoring parts of posts that are inconvenient.

As for genres, I count 18.

PS4:

Sim Racer: Project Cars

Arcade Racer: The Crew

2D Platformer: LBP, Giana Sisters

3D Platformer: Knack, Last Tinker

Action RPG: Witcher

Traditional RPG: Diablo

JRPG: Final Fantasy

MMORPG: Elder Scrolls Online

Adventure: Grim Fandango

Character Action: DMC, Bloodborne

Open World Adventure: GTA, Batman etc

FPS: COD etc

Third Person Shooter: The Order

Survival Horror: Resident Evil Revelations

RTS: Tropico

Fighter: DOA5, MK

Arcade: OlliOlli

Sports: Fifa etc

World Building: Terraria, Minecraft

Art/Indie: Unfinished Swan

Roguelike: Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy

And there are probably more I can't think of right now. And that's not even taking into account the huge choice and variety within genres.

This isn't the thread for this type of discussion

My bad, I only saw this message after I had posted.

@Rummy, you want my advice? I'd take a hard stance in this board.

I'd agree to be honest. I think people are getting fed up with mods seemingly* doing nothing. It started long before this Nintendo/PS4 nonsense. I remember a few times before where some members were absolutely horrid to other members and nothing was done (Nightwolf's "no-babygate" was one that springs to mind). After a while of mod inactivity, some members (myself included at times) have thought "Well, if they're not getting punished in an official capacity, they're at least getting an earful. The mods clearly won't punish us either".

Not saying the rules need to be enforced to the letter, but I do think they need to be tightened. Disagreements are fine, but there have been far too many "heated" discussions, with insults being thrown etc. For example, as much as I disagree with Ronnie, he hasn't done anything wrong in our recent discussion (other than us both posting in the wrong thread). If it were to get to the point of actual insults, then I'd object.

*Not saying they are, it just looks that way to us "normals".

Edited by Goafer
Automerged Doublepost

I'd agree to be honest. I think people are getting fed up with mods seemingly* doing nothing.

I don't think it's an issue on Gen chit chat. But then maybe it's just a better class of people that post there so it's not needed.

I appreciate that the modmins want to take a laissez faire attitude to moderating, and usually I would agree. But clearly in this board it isn't the case. It's gotten to the point where too many members are taking the piss and something needs to be done about it.