NEurope
Happenstance

Spider-Man (28th July 2017)

Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios Find Their 'Spider-Man' Star and Director

CIMrFcZVAAAL8o8.jpg

Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios are proud to announce that after a full worldwide casting search, Tom Holland will play Peter Parker/Spider-Man in the next Spider-Man film, in theaters in IMAX and 3D on July 28, 2017. The film will be directed by Jon Watts, director of "Cop Car," the upcoming thriller that made its debut earlier this year at the Sundance Film Festival.

Marvel and Sony Pictures, and producers Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal conducted an extensive search for both the actor and the director. The studios and producers were impressed by Holland’s performances in "The Impossible," “Wolf Hall,” and the upcoming "In the Heart of the Sea," and by a series of complex screen tests. Following Marvel’s tradition of working with the brightest next wave of directors, Watts also went through multiple meetings with Feige, Pascal, and the studio, before winning the job.

Commenting on the announcement, Tom Rothman, Sony Pictures Motion Pictures Group Chairman, said, “It’s a big day here at Sony. Kevin, Amy and their teams have done an incredible job. The Marvel process is very thorough, and that’s why their results are so outstanding. I’m confident Spider-Man will be no exception. I’ve worked with a number of up-and-coming directors who have gone on to be superstars and believe that Jon is just such an outstanding talent. For Spidey himself, we saw many terrific young actors, but Tom’s screen tests were special. All in all, we are off to a roaring start.”

Feige commented, “As with James Gunn, Joss Whedon, and the Russo brothers, we love finding new and exciting voices to bring these characters to life. We spent a lot of time with Jon and find his take and work inspiring.”

Pascal added, “Sony, Marvel, Kevin and I all knew that for Peter Parker, we had to find a vibrant, talented young actor capable of embodying one of the most well-known characters in the world. With Tom, we’ve found the perfect actor to bring Spider-Man’s story into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.”

Sony Pictures will finance and release worldwide the next installment of the $4 billion Spider-Man franchise on July 28, 2017, in a film co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the Web-Slinger.

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.

http://marvel.com/news/movies/24758/sony_pictures_and_marvel_studios_find_their_spider-man_star_and_director

Edited by Happenstance

I hope this is more like the Raimi ones and less like the last two.

Wait is this another reboot, or a continuation of 'Amazing' franchise?

I enjoyed Spiderman 2 (2004) a lot but outside of that I don't think any of the others are good.

Wait is this another reboot, or a continuation of 'Amazing' franchise?

Another reboot. Sony are in financial trouble so they're making him part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which requires a reboot.

Yaaaay, more Spider-man origin stuff.

*vomits into own mouth*

No origin. He'll already be Spider-man and active in New York.

No origin. He'll already be Spider-man and active in New York.

That's not so bad then.

It's odd, you'd think Spider-man would translate well onto the big screen. Can't say that I'm fond of any of them, although they're decent in places. Thought Amazing Spider-man was doing ok up until the shiiiiiiittty last 15/20 minutes.

I can't believe I'm already 3 Spider-Men old. Time is just passing me by.

Don't try to measure your age in Batmen then....

Finding a new Spider-Man at this point is pretty ridiculous. There's always so much politics tying up these franchises, why not just merge Garfield's Spidey in with the MCU? His character is pretty much at the perfect place for it.

The only thing that gets me is people acting like the first two Raimi films were bad. I thought they were both fantastic. They haven't aged that well, but I thought Spider-Man 2 was one of the best superhero sequels ever. That train sequence was something else. I thought Maguire was great too, played shy/nervous Parker well in the first one, and struggling to pay the rent and balance superhero life with being happy in the second. He even did the Spidey-quips well, although they were few and far between. Parker could've been written in a more traditional way, but that's the direction they went with and it worked for me.

I didn't mind Garfield as Spider-man either but the studio's hands were far too evident in both movies. Can't believe they had multiple villains in AS2 after the fiasco that was Spider-Man 3. They'll never learn.

Edited by Shorty

I still prefer the Raimi Spider-Man movies.

I'm not too bothered about the reboot but I did like the idea someone had of just bringing back Maguire and linking those original movies to the MCU, having Spider-Man being an already established character so if they did go the same route for his character as the Civil War comic then it would carry more weight.

Andrew Garfield would have been so good amongst that group of actors in the MCU that it doesn't bear thinking about. He'd have put Downy in his place. Still, I get why they had to recast, just so unfortunate.

I know nothing about this actor, but at least he looks better than some of the names that were being talked about before/very recently.

For whatever faults the recent films had, I have to concur I absolutely loved Garfield's representation of the character. I loved the original Raimi films(hell, i love spiderman) even if 3 was pretty ropey, and Maguire gave a somewhat different Parker, but Garfield just smashed it out of the park for me - huge shame he's not staying on(Garfield+Stone were excellent). Have to wonder what sort of character this new guy's gonna go for(apparently he's British too).

Incidentally Holland looks like a little kid in that pic at the top of this thread, he doesn't really look like that now IMO, he's been showing off some acrobatics on instagram https://instagram.com/tomholland2013/?hl=en

Whilst the idea of rebooting the character is a bit odd, I'm still looking forward to seeing him in the MCU. Hope the new guy pulls it off!

Whilst I really liked Garfield's Spiderman in my mind rebooting is the only option. How else would they explain his absence from the MCU up until this point?

Whilst I really liked Garfield's Spiderman in my mind rebooting is the only option. How else would they explain his absence from the MCU up until this point?

"Captain America & Iron Man are arguing in the street when a portal opens from another universe and Spider-Man falls through"

Problem solved :p

I've commented on other sites (/film to be precise):

I absolutely loved Andrew Garfield (and I loved Emma Stone even more, but that aside). Garfield was perfect.

I understand why they want the two "universes" to be separate, but all that needed to be done to satisfy the nerds was issuing a statement that says: "Andrew Garfield will be cast as Spider-man, but the canon from the Amazing Spider-man will be discarded, and Garfield will play a new Spider-man."

For the nerds that's clarifying enough. For the casuals, this won't matter at all. Some may be a bit confused, but that's not going to affect box-office numbers in itself. To be frank, those casuals will be more confused now, with a different Spider-man ("why is it a different actor?").

Anyway, it doesn't matter now, it's all decided.. Personally I'm not happy with it (yet), I worry that "shoehorning in Spider-man" into the MCU will negatively affect the films.

I was personally looking forward to The amazing Spider-man 3 (I know I'm in the minority), but currently I have zero hype for the new solo Spider-man, even though I'm hyped for everything else: Ant-man, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, and to lesser extent Black Panther and Inhumans. Keep in mind that I'm no comic guy, and I know none of these, but until Tom Holland has proven himself, I'm looking more forward to all of those than Spider-man.

I don't know the actor (apparently, I've heard him in Locke), so I have no idea what to expect. I'll say this though: I do like the look of him, he looks more like a Spider-man than Asa Butterfield, who was long rumoured to be in the running for the role. If Asa had gotten the role, my hype for everything MCU would have taken a significant hit. But for now: I'm going to enjoy Ant-man (first impressions seem good), and then I'll look forward to Captain America, hoping Tom Holland will put aside all my worries.

And a final note: I wonder how much this will affect the Netflix shows. Spider-man would / should have more of a direct impact on their shows than the other films have.

Is Mary Jane going to be homecoming queen? Will Peter confess his feelings for her? Will Jimmy spike the punch? Find out in Spider-Man Homecoming!

REPORT: Miles Morales Will Be the Star of Sony's Animated "Spider-Man" Film

According to Heroic Hollywood, Sony's animated "Spider-Man" film will reportedly follow Miles Morales, the half-black, half-Puerto Rican character who took on the Spider mantle after the death of the Ultimate Peter Parker in the comics. The report also includes two working titles for the project: "Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man" and "The Ultimate Spider-Man: Miles Morales."

The animated film is said to "co-exist" with live-action Spidey film projects, though it "will exist independently of the projects in the live-action Spider-Man universe, all of which are continuing." Spider-Man franchise vets Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach will produce, along with former Sony Pictures Chairperson Amy Pascal, who will produce the new live-action Spider-Man film with Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige.

"The LEGO Movie" and "21 Jump Street" directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller are currently on board to write a treatment and produce the film.

Spider-Man's animated feature film debut will bow on December 21, 2018, roughly a year and a half after the scheduled release date of Sony and Marvel's live-action Spidey film, July 28, 2017.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/report-miles-morales-will-be-the-star-of-sonys-animated-spider-man-film

After seeing how Spiderman was done in CA:CW I'm so hyped for this!