NEurope
Jimbob

PC Start-up issues

Hi, sorry i don't usually post here but hey ho.

I've noticed my PC is starting to act funny (running Windows 8.1 Pro). When i go to boot it up, it starts and goes to the Windows logo with them spinning dots. But they don't spin, and the system shuts down. But starting back up and it starts no problem. I've had a quick check online, and it could possibly be a bios issue. Any ideas?

I don't know a lot about boot issues - but what exactly is supposed to be the BIOS issue in question? I would have thought if it's getting to the Windows bit it's making it past everything BIOS related - did you change anything recently with it OS or BIOS wise? Are you essentially saying that you need to turn it on twice, rather than once, every time you want to use it?

It's unlikely to be a BIOS issue if you're seeing anything Windows related. Does it only shut off during start up, or does it shut off under load sometimes as well? Are you booting from a hard drive or an SSD, and how old is whichever? What's the wattage of the power supply, and how old is it? What's on the screen at the time it shuts off? Does it always shut off the first time and always work fine the second time? Do you have to press the button to start it up again the second time?

Edited by Emasher

When i boot up the PC, i get to the Windows 8 logo with the spinning dots. The dots stop spinning and the PC then shuts down, i do press the power button and it comes on with no issues the 2nd time around. It hasn't yet shut down under any load, the PSU and HDD are about 2-3 years old.

I was speaking to a work mate whom said Windows 8 has this fast boot setting which can cause start-up issues. Disabled this setting in Windows, and checked the PC this morning before leaving for work and it started first time with no issues after about 8 hours powered off. I'll check again this evening, but i think that could have been the issue.

I had something similar with Windows 7 where it would do that, and it seems that an update had failed and tried to install when i booted up, then obviously restarted when it thought it was done....only it seemed to always fail

Manually installed the update fixed that, no idea if it could be simialr with you though