NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Remembering The Capcom Five

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capcom_Five

Just wanted to remember the old days of a classic partnership between Capcom and Nintendo (as well as the RE boost the GC got - btw am I the only one yearning some sort of HD remake Resident Evil pack??)

My favourite of the five was PN03.

Admittedly, it didnt play as the screenshots suggested (I had a MGS type expectation for some reason). But once you get the feel of the game, the old skool gameplay coupled with the trancey soundtrack really got me in the groove.

The style was full of beauty and grace, with the use of artistic names for moves and suits etc. (Tengu, Swan, harrier)- if there is ONE game I want revived it would be this one! It has so much potential.

031709_hatedgames_obs01--article_image.jpg

The timing of your thread is outrageous because I was looking at P.N.03 on my shelf this morning as one of those games that I never got into, contemplated selling on numerous occasions and yet find myself thinking about finally playing through it soon :eek:

For me, it's always been the weakest of the four games that got released but I'll post more about that later :heh:

The timing of your thread is outrageous because I was looking at P.N.03 on my shelf this morning as one of those games that I never got into, contemplated selling on numerous occasions and yet find myself thinking about finally playing through it soon :eek:

For me, it's always been the weakest of the four games that got released but I'll post more about that later :heh:

TBH it did take a while to get into it and its not a particularly deep game, but more an arcadey blaster.

Did you play Killer 7?

TBH it did take a while to get into it and its not a particularly deep game, but more an arcadey blaster.

Did you play Killer 7?

I did :grin: In fact, I'm probably one of the game's biggest admirer's! I played it towards the end of last year and absolutely LOVED it :love:

Killer 7 still isn't the best of the 'Capcom 5', though, as the phenomenal Resident Evil 4 runs away with that accolade, particularly the Wii Edition :hehe:

In fairness, that's the last time I ever felt any desire for the series as it has managed to throw away its appeal ever since then.. but that's a whole other debate :heh:

I finally cleared Viewtiful Joe in January this year. It was a good game, just not as great as it was made out to be when it was released. I haven't touched the sequel yet.. and I'm actually not sure that I want to ::shrug: Perhaps it'll call out to me like P.N.03 is right now..

Ah, the Capcom 5. A series of false hopes and broken promises.

Did you play Killer 7?

That game never sat right with me, despite all the praise it received from the press. I just didn't get it. Sure, Suda makes his games a little weird but this one just didn't stick with me.

I didn't care for No More Heroes either. I did LOVE Lollipop Chainsaw, though. Hilarious dialogue and very solid gameplay. Having an achievement for looking up her skirt was genius! :D

Considering the game is meant to be short, I started P.N.03 this morning and hope to make my way through it entirely over the next few days :smile:

It hasn't been great so far but I'll carry on with it before I make any final judgement on it :heh:

Lol, The Capcon Five. What a backfire that turned out to be.

It's almost a perfect representation of how bad Nintendo's relationships are with third parties. Five apparently exclusive games. One of them cancelled and three go third party...leaving one exclusive. Hardly a good success rate.

Killer 7 was my favourite out of the lot, but it's amazing how this deal turned out in the end.

Considering the game is meant to be short, I started P.N.03 this morning and hope to make my way through it entirely over the next few days :smile:

It hasn't been great so far but I'll carry on with it before I make any final judgement on it :heh:

LMAO @ "It hasn't been great so far..."

...Nothings gonna change, dude. :laughing:

LMAO @ "It hasn't been great so far..."

...Nothings gonna change, dude. :laughing:

Yeah, there is a reason it's the only one that stayed exclusive to the Gamecube....It's just not very good.

Killer 7 was the most fucked-up intricately crafted story game I'd ever played.

I think it might be one of the hardest games to actually explain to someone else...

In fact, I'd dare anyone here to give me an abstract of the game and make it look understandable :laughing:

Killer 7 was the most fucked-up intricately crafted story game I'd ever played.

I think it might be one of the hardest games to actually explain to someone else...

In fact, I'd dare anyone here to give me an abstract of the game and make it look understandable :laughing:

I honestly hadn't a clue what was going on.. and I didn't care :grin:Killer 7 is completely unique and brain-meltingly awesome :yay:

Anyway, as some of you may have already noticed in Your 2015 Gaming Diary, I cleared P.N.03 tonight :smile:

From my perspective, it actually seems like a game that was just never finished. There's not much of a story, the levels are sterile and pieced together from rooms that repeat frequently and it's not particularly long. There isn't a huge amount of variety in the enemies and I'm not quite sure how it got released as it is.. or how @King_V has it as his favourite of the 'Capcom Five' :heh:

P.N.03 was just OK and there was at least a little enjoyment from getting to grips with the controls and dodging enemy attacks, but there's not much else to say on the game, really! It's like a concept that was just never fully realised and I think it would have been better if it had incorporated the music into the shooting, whether it be shooting and dodging to a particular beat or even something more akin to Rez.

Ah, the Capcom 5, such heady, optimistic days. Now it just reminds me that I'm still waiting for Viewtiful Joe 3. *Sob*

With Dead Phoenix never making it, Was Gotcha Force the unofficial / official 5th title from the Capcom 5?

I enjoyed that game (from what I remember). I also remember P.N.0.3 launching on my birthday (29th August) and me spending my birthday money in 2003 on it.

It wasn't great, but I was determined to like it and support the games released for the Gamecube as much as I could. Loved the Gamecube immensely and still stop and stare at my Cube game collection fondly thinking "that console did alright" in terms of games.

I honestly hadn't a clue what was going on.. and I didn't care :grin:Killer 7 is completely unique and brain-meltingly awesome :yay:

Anyway, as some of you may have already noticed in Your 2015 Gaming Diary, I cleared P.N.03 tonight :smile:

From my perspective, it actually seems like a game that was just never finished. There's not much of a story, the levels are sterile and pieced together from rooms that repeat frequently and it's not particularly long. There isn't a huge amount of variety in the enemies and I'm not quite sure how it got released as it is.. or how @King_V has it as his favourite of the 'Capcom Five' :heh:

P.N.03 was just OK and there was at least a little enjoyment from getting to grips with the controls and dodging enemy attacks, but there's not much else to say on the game, really! It's like a concept that was just never fully realised and I think it would have been better if it had incorporated the music into the shooting, whether it be shooting and dodging to a particular beat or even something more akin to Rez.

Thats how i took the game - to be a level based blast-em-up. It took a while to get into, but just how cool the game is and each suit... Maybe down the line you might get another urge to play - Plus there is the final suit to get...:heart:

Thats how i took the game - to be a level based blast-em-up. It took a while to get into, but just how cool the game is and each suit... Maybe down the line you might get another urge to play - Plus there is the final suit to get...:heart:

From what little I had played of P.N.03 in the past, I remembered being a little frustrated at times so I actually played through it on Easy this week. There's a chance I may go through it again on Normal and try to unlock another couple of suits ::shrug:

With Dead Phoenix never making it, Was Gotcha Force the unofficial / official 5th title from the Capcom 5?

I enjoyed that game (from what I remember).

I loved that game. Such a unique title that, despite its looks, had a great amount of depth to it.

*hugs copy of the game*

Killer7 :cool:

Killer7 was awesome. Beautiful graphics style, characters who oozed coolness and...the single most fucked up and confusing plot of a videogame evaaaaaar.

I remember THAT document that somebody created to try to make some understanding of the plot. It was something like 74 pages long. I read all of it. ALL OF IT. Just to try and make some sense of the game.

I really enjoyed No More Heroes 1 and 2, too. Moar Suda51, please.

Killer7 was awesome. Beautiful graphics style, characters who oozed coolness and...the single most fucked up and confusing plot of a videogame evaaaaaar.

I remember THAT document that somebody created to try to make some understanding of the plot. It was something like 74 pages long. I read all of it. ALL OF IT. Just to try and make some sense of the game.

I really enjoyed No More Heroes 1 and 2, too. Moar Suda51, please.

I actually noticed yesterday on the Playstation Store that Killer is Dead is on offer for £4 on PS3. I may try that one out along with Ground Zeroes for £5, though I have found Metal Gear Solid games to be increasingly moving away from what I enjoyed about the first game :heh:

The infamous Capcom Five, I remember them well. There used to be some video footage of the event from Capcom telling everyone about these games with the GameCube logo in the background but I can't find it at the moment.

capcomevent_021115_pic2_small.jpg

I've got and played all the those games on the cube (not Dead Phoenix of course!) plus still own and played RE4 and Viewtiful Joe on the PS2 for the extras.

Capcom + exclusive (timed?) + poor sales + underrated + poor communication = Mess

The legacy of what happened is interesting too, Team Viewtiful went on to become Clover Studios who then either reverted back to Capcom or went on to form Platinum Games. Platinum Games went on to produce what I call the 'Platinum Four' in a similar vein to the Capcom Five (Bayonetta, Madworld, Vanquish and The Wonderful 101) only done better. Games like No More Heroes, Killer is dead, The Evil Within can also trace their roots back too.

Nintendo's relationship with Capcom was damaged during the sixth generation and when the Wii came out a few so called exclusive games eventually came out on other systems too. Revelations came on the 3DS and then everywhere else but Revelations 2 won't appear on any Nintendo machine.

The Capcom Five was an ambitious project started by Capcom and it would be easy to blame the failings of it solely on the company. However you would be mistaken if you thought that these five games would have saved the GameCube or that Nintendo were blameless in any of what happened back then.

I just wonder if history is repeating with Capcom or did they learn from their past actions? Dead Rising 3 was supposed to be an exclusive which later on appeared on the PC and now with Street Fighter V being a PS4/PC exclusive does it make any sense? Not releasing SFV on other platforms doesn't make sense but then again I'm sure Capcom will release a Super/Arcade/Ultimate edition in the future as a multi-plat.

Personally, I think the company is happy with its DLC practices, sequels, downloadable only options, poor Wii U support and 'timed' exclusive deals. I'm sure someone there is looking at either the Viewtiful Joe main series or Killer 7 or any of it's back catalogue and thinking about HDing it at some point for the fans (...shareholders)

Edited by sumo73

Ah, the Capcom 5, such heady, optimistic days. Now it just reminds me that I'm still waiting for Viewtiful Joe 3. *Sob*

Ever played Viewtiful Joe DS? (nearest to VJ3 I think)

It's not a bad game but you can tell that with a bit more time it could have been better. Capcom wanted a quicker return on their investment so the game was rushed in places. Anyway, consider 'Vanquish' as the spiritual successor to P.N.03.

Yeah, I played the DS game, and it was pretty good, to be fair (if a little short). But in terms of storyline it was more of a side story than a sequel, and it certainly wasn't the final part of the trilogy they were talking about in the ending of 2, so yeah, I'm still waiting for the real part 3.

I swear that I'm the only person in the universe who actually genuinely enjoyed Killer 7's gameplay. It's restrictive, but that actually makes it interesting to play - it's definitely unique and surprisingly non linear for a game that takes place entirely on rails!

It's one hell of an experience for sure though! Suda 51's crowning achievement!

Anyway, the only one of the Capcom 5 that I never played was PN03 (well, Dead Phoenix as well, but that doesn't count since it is well... err... dead :p ). VJ of course is a masterpiece, but VJ2 was really nothing special at all. A shame really, cause the twin character setup had some potential (be it co-op or otherwise), but it never goes anywhere really. There's hardly anything actually new in it that doesn't just retread on the same ground that VJ1 already laid. I actually much preferred VJDT on DS; if only it didn't suffer from the no-more-than-two-enemies-onscreen-at-a-time limit though...

The DS game had some brilliant ideas behind it! Really very creative, but it's just a shame that the DS' technical limitations hold it back - having only two enemies on screen at a time really takes away from the scoring system since there aren't enough enemies to actually fight against to keep it going!

I do miss those days where you could get crazy and really out-there mid tier 3rd party games like that.

I swear that I'm the only person in the universe who actually genuinely enjoyed Killer 7's gameplay.

You're definitely not :heh: I found it refreshingly different and, even to this day, there's just nothing else like it : peace: