NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid Prime Wii U not likely to happen

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/23/nintendo-well-aware-of-the-demand-for-a-straight-up-metroid-game

Nintendo Well Aware of the Demand for a 'Straight-Up Metroid Game'

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime says the house of Mario is well aware of the desire amongst the community to see a proper new installment in the Metroid franchise.

“Look, we know that the fans want a straight Samus Aran game," Fils-Aime told Kotaku. "We also know that the best way to launch a game like that is to surprise and delight them, to give them a launch date, in an environment like this let them play it vs. what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years.

"It’s just not the way we do things," he added. "We know the community wants to see a straight-up Metroid game. We know it."

Nintendo announced a new Metroid game for Nintendo 3DS during its E3 Digital Event last week called Metroid Prime: Federation Force. However, its lack of Samus and the exploaration-heavy gameplay the series is known for left a number of Nintendo fans disappointed.

I don't really get where he's coming from. Nintendo will have us wait 2+ years for Zelda, but ok. The Last Guardian is perhaps the only game that conforms to what he's saying and that obviously went through development problems.

I think we'd all much rather see a teaser video even if the game is two-three years away (although obviously it's pointless now on Wii U).

Never mind Last Guardian, Final Fantasy 7 and Shenmue 3 are probably years away from being done. And when they first showed Zelda it was only supposed to be a 12-18 months away.

At least he seems very aware of how much a Metroid game is wanted. That's something I hope Nintendo have learned from this E3, how much fan service counts. I do prefer their policy of mostly showing games out in the next 6-12 months, but one sneak peak every E3 into a far off game would be nice.

Never mind Last Guardian, Final Fantasy 7 and Shenmue 3 are probably years away from being done. And when they first showed Zelda it was only supposed to be a 12-18 months away.

At least he seems very aware of how much a Metroid game is wanted. That's something I hope Nintendo have learned from this E3, how much fan service counts. I do prefer their policy of mostly showing games out in the next 6-12 months, but one sneak peak every E3 into a far off game would be nice.

Didn't they show a teaser video for MP3 at the Wii announcement?

Can't remember what the time scale was on that announcement to launch of the game, but that worked quite well (even if it was, if I remember correctly, just Samus entering or exiting her ship) just to let us know it was in the works.

But then, I wonder if Starfox would have been more exciting had Miyamoto not just mentioned it last e3 casually on the Tree House. I think that opening with them turning into the Starfox 'muppet' characters would have created a bigger buzz if it had been a complete surprise :)

I don't really get where he's coming from. Nintendo will have us wait 2+ years for Zelda, but ok. The Last Guardian is perhaps the only game that conforms to what he's saying and that obviously went through development problems.

I think we'd all much rather see a teaser video even if the game is two-three years away (although obviously it's pointless now on Wii U).

He's obviously taking at pot shot at TLG with this, which is an extreme case. Most games are released 2 years or so since first being talked about.

Fact is, Nintendo are no different to any other company. They will announce a game well ahead of time ( Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Xenoblade, Zelda ) when it suits them.

He's obviously taking at pot shot at TLG with this, which is an extreme case. Most games are released 2 years or so since first being talked about.

Fact is, Nintendo are no different to any other company. They will announce a game well ahead of time ( Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Xenoblade, Zelda ) when it suits them.

I think it was the Gamespot interview where Reggie said, regarding this, they "break their own rules all the time".

So exactly, they aren't different and, I really believe, if they had a Metroid game in the works they would have at least flashed a logo up or something!

I think it was the Gamespot interview where Reggie said, regarding this, they "break their own rules all the time".

So exactly, they aren't different and, I really believe, if they had a Metroid game in the works they would have at least flashed a logo up or something!

I dunno if they would. I mean, they had Zelda footage but refused to show us.

True, although as I said with the Star fox thing even if they had would it have been detrimental if they couldn't tell s when it was out.

When we finally get the Zelda date these sort of comments will come back to haunt Reggie I think.

This is where I think there's a contradiction. Of course Nintendo fans want moar Metroid. That's never changed. But, I find it a little unsettling that they're not working on it right now or at least have something to show us. To me, that shows that they don't view the series in the same regard as Mario or Zelda.

Anyway, I can see the benefits of not revealing games until they're closer to completion. But, by not showing the longer term projects that are being worked on, they're potentially pissing off gamers (including new customers). After Xenoblade (and Zelda, whenever that comes), what is there? I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to show things off that are coming a bit further on down the line.

On a side note, I miss the old Reggie.

Nintendo's reveal to release timescale is way shorter than the competition, by at least a year. There are exceptions, as Reggie says they break their own rules on occasion, but for the most part when Nintendo unveil a game, it's out within a year (Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, Hyrule Warriors, Kirby, Federation Force, Mario + Luigi, Link Between Worlds.....) or even six months (Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong, Captain Toad, Zelda Tri Force Heroes, Star Fox, Majora's Mask 3D, Pokemon X, Luigi's Mansion 2...). Personally I prefer the way they do it, even if the occasional long-term tease would be nice.

Shenmue 3 is a very different case to anything. The announcement was the kickstarter for the game, not the game. However long the game takes now is a matter of everything coming together for it, just like when development starts on any game in the industry.

Wouldn't surprise me if FFVII is done within 2 years. I imagine FFXV's development will help out massively with that game.

Shenmue 3 is a very different case to anything. The announcement was the kickstarter for the game, not the game. However long the game takes now is a matter of everything coming together for it, just like when development starts on any game in the industry.

Wouldn't surprise me if FFVII is done within 2 years. I imagine FFXV's development will help out massively with that game.

FFVII is a long time coming, so I imagine that's well underway. The Last Guardian seems to be nearing completion after a long saga and I'll be surprised if it doesn't hit in 2016. Like you said, Shenmue 3 is the exception and that won't be out for a long, long time. However, just news that it's coming is a big deal.

(FFXV also looks stunning, thanks for reminding me, huhuhu)

Fair enough, my point was more in reply to Hero-of-Time's post. I think 2 years is the norm on PS4/XBO between reveal and release, with shorter timeframes the exception. Whereas on Nintendo Reggie is right, the norm is 6 months to a year, with anything longer being the exception.

Obviously there's no right or wrong way of doing things.

Yeah, I'm expecting FFVII to release in 2017 to coincide with its anniversary. FFXV seems to be back on track now that the MAJOR shuffling of staff and rehaul of the story has happened and settled down.

Speaking on S-E, Kingdom Hearts 3 seems to be a lot further along than everyone thought. That game looks stunning. Easily one of my favourite showings at this years E3.

With those games, Dragon Quest Heroes, Nier 2, Star Ocean 5 and a new dedicated JRPG studio, the return of classic Square could be on the cards here. Not to mention their western studio stuff, like Tomb Raider and Deus Ex.

Yeah, I kinda went off topic here. :D

Exactly. I suspect Metroid was not shown at all for the same reason Zelda was not shown again. They just don't want to promise anything more for the Wii U and are probably glad they never confirmed a Metroid Prime for it. I'm pretty sure all will become clear when we find out more about NX.

As I say, I can't find the exact quote, but didn't Retro Studios strongly imply they were working on a Metroid game? "What you want us to be working on" or something like that. Mind you, I've no idea why they said "Can you dig it?" either (jokes aside).

As I say, I can't find the exact quote, but didn't Retro Studios strongly imply they were working on a Metroid game? "What you want us to be working on" or something like that. Mind you, I've no idea why they said "Can you dig it?" either (jokes aside).

It would be hilarious if Retro's next project was "Metroid Prime: Galactic Federation's Spelunking Division" :heh:

LOL I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Read through the lines. With what he just said, and what has beeh said. Notice how they kept saying "if we were to start one now it would be 3 years off", hmm? Then Reggie here rephrases that they basically wouldn't show or tell you even if they had one in the works. I mean look at Zelda U. I don't care if I turn out wrong...they have a new PROPER Metroid in the bloody works, not once have they outright said they haven't.

Regardless, I'll be geting MPFF and playing it through local multi, I think it looks great fun.

Exactly. I suspect Metroid was not shown at all for the same reason Zelda was not shown again. They just don't want to promise anything more for the Wii U and are probably glad they never confirmed a Metroid Prime for it. I'm pretty sure all will become clear when we find out more about NX.

Exactly. This is how they work.

Edited by Mr_Master_X2
Automerged Doublepost