NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid Prime Wii U not likely to happen

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/17/e3-2015-next-proper-metroid-prime-game-not-likely-until-nintendos-next-console?abthid=5581cd88ed474a3576000008

E3 2015: Next Proper Metroid Prime Game Not Likely Until Nintendo's Next Console

Producer suggests we'll only see a release in the next console generation.

Nintendo's next console Metroid Prime game is not likely to see release until Nintendo launches its next-gen console, codenamed NX.

"If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console," said series producer Kensuke Tanabe, speaking to Eurogamer at E3.

"Truth be told, making HD games takes a lot of time and resources," Tanabe added when asked why Nintendo had not made a Metroid Prime for Wii U. "I haven't been able to collect a team or the resources to do it."

Well, there we have it.

I don't trust Nintendo right now to make the Metroid game that we all want anyway.

Unless Retro Studios get given it again.

Anyway, can't say I'm shocked.

I can see why. Metroid games don't sell well in general, and on the Wii U the budget for it would not have been pretty with such a low audience.

The thread title should specify Prime, even though it's not wrong that we probably won't get any Metroid U title from here on in. Tanabe's purview is the Prime series only.

The thread title should specify Prime, even though it's not wrong that we probably won't get any Metroid U title from here on in. Tanabe's purview is the Prime series only.
Although it's hard to say whether the interviewer was using the term 'Metroid Prime game' in the broader sense to define the next console Metroid. Like one might say 'the next Mario Galaxy'.

It's true that Metroid games don't sell very well, but these kind of games are important to keep your core fanbase invested in the company long term. It's the reason why they're making all these Wii U games on a dead console that won't even make 15 million sales.

The Wii U with the gamepad had great potential for a Metroid game. We won't see a Metroid game on Wii U now. Yesterday was just the confirmation. It would take too much time, money and effort and would not be profitable. It's smaller, easier games from here on out as demonstrated by the 2 games announced yesterday.

When was the last big budget game announced? If roles were reversed with Zelda, the same decision would be made.

Although it's hard to say whether the interviewer was using the term 'Metroid Prime game' in the broader sense to define the next console Metroid. Like one might say 'the next Mario Galaxy'.

I don't think it is hard to say because the article only references the Prime games, Tanabe is just responsible for Prime, and he literally says in that interview that Sakamoto is in charge of the broader Metroid series and he doesn't know what Sakamoto is doing right now

I'm being pedantic, but I think the thread might as well reflect what the story actually is

Nintendo aren't even half the company they once were.

Not surprised but then i think its because perhaps they started 1.5 years ago and the NX might have a metroid title 6 months into it its life

I mean seriously now Nintendo must be having the third pillar/nx out next year, otherwise that would mean 2 years of them having a lot of dev teams doing nothing if its coming out in 2017

But if it's not profitable, why should they make it?

I honestly don't understand what other reason could they have not to make it?

I fixed the title. This person doesn't have anything to do with non-Prime Metroid games.

It's still unlikely that there will be one at this point, but this doesn't confirm one won't happen.

But if it's not profitable, why should they make it?
Largely because Nintendo have a buck load of money, and a load of pissed off consumers who bought their console.

If the Prime games aren't profitable, it's strange they went ahead and made a trilogy. The producer doesn't say they weren't profitable in that article, just that they cost a lot of money.

Maybe the production would cost much more right now!?. Honestly, just don't understand why would the make new IP in Splatoon, but not make another game which will bring them profit (they do it with other games and that's actually what most game makers do).

But again, maybe I am wrong, as I am sure Zelda Wii U would make them a lot of profit and they still didn't manage to finish it.

Edited by Kounan

The production cost of a HD Prime game in the modern day would probably be triple what it was for on of the trilogy games, not to mention a far longer development time. Sales wise it'd sell a third of what the Prime games sold (which weren't very much in the first place).

You know what, I don't even buy the "It <almost every Nintendo IP now> doesn't sell..." argument.

Nintendo just don't do enough to market their games well, especially back in the GC days. Metroid technically speaking is a game that should appeal strongly in the west. But this and Nintendo's/Miyamoto's stubborn opinions with fully committing to online experiences to enhance the longevity AND fun of these games, is highly likely to be the reason behind poor sales.

How many copies does a game have to sell for it to be recognised as a decent seller? Metroid Prime sold around 2.8million copies on the GameCube. Other M reached around 1.3, despite having mixed reviews. They're not exactly poor sales.

How many copies does a game have to sell for it to be recognised as a decent seller? Metroid Prime sold around 2.8million copies on the GameCube. Other M reached around 1.3, despite having mixed reviews. They're not exactly poor sales.

It depends on the original budget. Tomb Raider had 5 million sales and Square still couldn't afford to make the sequel on their own.

Edit: Meanwhile, Sonic Boom 3DS was so cheap that it's still worth Sega making a second, despite poor sales.

Edited by Cube

So this means that Retro is working on something different? Great!

I want to see them work on something completely different now! They've mastered making Metroid already! I didn't want to see them get dragged back into just making more Metroid!

They should be branching off into making something totally different now. They've shown that they can do 1st person adventure games, awesome 2D sidescrollers and fantastic Mario Kart games, so godonlyknows what they could do next now! :yay:

They should be branching off into making something totally different now. They've shown that they can do 1st person adventure games, awesome 2D sidescrollers and fantastic Mario Kart games, so godonlyknows what they could do next now! :yay:

Didn't they just help out with a couple of course designs for MK7?

It depends on the original budget. Tomb Raider had 5 million sales and Square still couldn't afford to make the sequel on their own.

Edit: Meanwhile, Sonic Boom 3DS was so cheap that it's still worth Sega making a second, despite poor sales.

Also I think it depends if they sell more physical copies or digital copies (for obvious reason)

Didn't they just help out with a couple of course designs for MK7?

They made 17 (all the Retro courses plus the DKCR course) out of the total 32 courses as well as about half of the character/kart models and animations throughout the game.

It was definitely a 50-50 task between EAD and Retro, going by the Iwata Asks for MK7.

Don't blame Nintendo as Wii U is now a lost cause. What is inexcusable is that Metroid was never in development 2 years ago.

It has to be released for NX on release day or very soon after console is launched. This is the same for other big titles that never saw a release on Wii U.

Glad to hear. Wii U doesn't need this.

As kobashi said metroid should of been able Wii U title when the console came out.