NEurope
Serebii

The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes

It's odd. I love Zelda and I quite enjoyed what I played the demo, but I'm really not feeling this. Zelda usually feels like an event, something big. But i'm feeling next to no excitement about this. I'd usually be desperate to get a Zelda game on release but I actually think I'm going to wait a bit for this...

To be honest it doesn't feel like a usual Zelda game. It's feels like a very quirky spin-off, which is what it is. Outside of the dungeons there is very little to do and the story is wafer thin. The dungeons themselves though are pretty good. Some of them have already provided some head scratching moments.

As I mentioned earlier, the game encourages multiple playthroughs of the same dungeons, especially as its down to luck as to what materials you get at the end. While the dungeons may be tricky at the start, once you have cleared them, and know the ins and outs, running through them again is a breeze. This may become tiresome for some, though. It feels a bit like Monster Hunter/Destiny, what with the random loot dropping.

I forgot to mention earlier that I had a blast playing with a random guy in the lobby. We were passing the ball back and forth and I was desperate to keep the combo going as the song that it was playing was Ballad of the Windfish!

As I mentioned earlier, the game encourages multiple playthroughs of the same dungeons, especially as its down to luck as to what materials you get at the end. While the dungeons may be tricky at the start, once you have cleared them, and know the ins and outs, running through them again is a breeze. This may become tiresome for some, though. It feels a bit like Monster Hunter/Destiny, what with the random loot dropping.

The bonus challenges add some variety, too.

The bonus challenges add some variety, too.

The time trials are probably the hardest ones. I tried with some randomers last night and they were hopeless. A good will be required for these, methinks.

Reviews are coming in. Scores are ranging from 5/10 to 8/10.

Single player seems to be a recurring complaint.

Well, if you're gonna take a game designed around co-op and harp on about the single player experience. I can't take your review seriously.

On the plus side, Nintendo are making great little posts about Zelda's dress.

17nC1vI.png

CRx9uIcWIAA670G.jpg

The answer is Link, by the way. There's no argument.

Single player seems to be a recurring complaint.

Well, if you're gonna take a game designed around co-op and harp on about the single player experience. I can't take your review seriously.

It's a valid complaint. It's a mode within the game and as such should be reviewed.

Oh boy, I HAD ordered after all, Nintendo just email to say the game and T Shirt are on there way!!! :)

I put some more time into this last night. I played a bit more of the online mode, just trying to mop up a few of the challenges. I wanted to get some of the time trials done and luckily I ran into a couple of others looking to do the same. It took a while to get coordinated but they had the same mindset as me and none of us left until we beat it, despite taking multiple attempts. Sadly they left and I couldn't get another game going.

I jumped onto the single player portion for a bit and finished a couple of stages. I'm finding it difficult to play the game in single player in long stints due to how tedious it is. Having to carry statues around, constantly switching between players, going over the same part of the map but with another player, all becomes very tedious. I dunno how Nintendo thought this mechanic would actually be fun?

3 player co-op only.

So you have to have three of you playing?! That's silly... And single player is dull... Do you need to play single player at all? I'm happy to see this as an online game only!!

So you have to have three of you playing?! That's silly... And single player is dull... Do you need to play single player at all? I'm happy to see this as an online game only!!

Yup, you need 3 players, both in local mode and online.

You don't need to play the single player but getting the game early has kind of forced me to play it, due to the lack of online players. Also, online can be stupidly frustrating at times, with people just not having a clue what to do when it comes to solving a simple puzzle.

Playing with randomers can be a bit of a nightmare when you are after doing a specific thing. If everyone votes for doing different stages the game uses a roulette system to decide on what stage will be played. In theory you could have to play through a dozen stages that you don't need to play through just to get to the one who actually need to do.

I put some more time into this last night. I played a bit more of the online mode, just trying to mop up a few of the challenges. I wanted to get some of the time trials done and luckily I ran into a couple of others looking to do the same. It took a while to get coordinated but they had the same mindset as me and none of us left until we beat it, despite taking multiple attempts. Sadly they left and I couldn't get another game going.

I jumped onto the single player portion for a bit and finished a couple of stages. I'm finding it difficult to play the game in single player in long stints due to how tedious it is. Having to carry statues around, constantly switching between players, going over the same part of the map but with another player, all becomes very tedious. I dunno how Nintendo thought this mechanic would actually be fun?

They should have done the single player like Four Swords DSi and Four Swords Adventures. That worked well.

They should have done the single player like Four Swords DSi and Four Swords Adventures. That worked well.

From the sounds of things, it does actually work exactly like Four Swords DSi (which also suffers from the same problem - no actually that one was even worse because the single player is a total snooze fest in that game! The GBA original didn't have a single player mode at all and after trying it single player on DSi, I can definately see why they didn't bother originally!)

Problem is that it's just so heavily designed around multiplayer and nothing else, with little to no concessions made for solo players. Perfectly valid complaint, even if we all knew it going in.

Edited by Dcubed

From the sounds of things, it does actually work exactly like Four Swords DSi (which also suffers from the same problem - no actually that one was even worse because the single player is a total snooze fest in that game! The GBA original didn't have a single player mode at all and after trying it single player on DSi, I can definately see why they didn't bother originally!)

Problem is that it's just so heavily designed around multiplayer and nothing else, with little to no concessions made for solo players. Perfectly valid complaint, even if we all knew it going in.

Oh? I don't remember Four Swords DSi being that bad

Oh? I don't remember Four Swords DSi being that bad

Oh yeah, single player is a mess in that game. The semi-random nature of the dungeons doesn't work well in single player as the dungeon layout lack a sense of purposeful design (the need to move each player individually is also a pain) and the focus on rupee collecting is totally pointless without multiplayer.

The bosses are also not fun to fight alone at all. It's a multiplayer only game with single player hacked in and it shows.

Yup, you need 3 players, both in local mode and online.

You don't need to play the single player but getting the game early has kind of forced me to play it, due to the lack of online players. Also, online can be stupidly frustrating at times, with people just not having a clue what to do when it comes to solving a simple puzzle.

Playing with randomers can be a bit of a nightmare when you are after doing a specific thing. If everyone votes for doing different stages the game uses a roulette system to decide on what stage will be played. In theory you could have to play through a dozen stages that you don't need to play through just to get to the one who actually need to do.

With online though, you can hook up with one friend and get a random to join you can't you?

As for playing random, I guess I hope(d) that even laying with idiots is part of the fun! Maybe not though... Still really looking forward to it!

With online though, you can hook up with one friend and get a random to join you can't you?

I'm not sure. I figured you needed 3, that's why I never bothered trying to hook up with @Cube when he asked, as there would have only been 2 of us.

I'm not sure. I figured you needed 3, that's why I never bothered trying to hook up with @Cube when he asked, as there would have only been 2 of us.

I remember Nintendo UK tweeting about you and a friend hooking up and getting a random to join, I'll try and find it. It makes far too much sense for nintendo to do that :)

Yep, just checked, it says it will put you with a stranger if you and a friend are missing a link.

You can join up and then get a stranger.

Yeah, @Dcubed is right about Four Swords DSi - it's the only Zelda game I can't be bothered to play at all. The GameCube one was perfectly manageable though, so that remains an option to base these multiplayer games on.

Personally, I think good A.I. should have been the answer to single player mode, with the other Links always getting into the right position/doing the right thing.

So, who is buying/bought the game and will be up for a regular bit of online co-op? Would be good to get a few teams and times sorted.

So, who is buying/bought the game and will be up for a regular bit of online co-op? Would be good to get a few teams and times sorted.

DCubed and I will be.

So you're probably better off playing with randoms. DCubed gets very hole orientated when I'm playing.

Nintendo have put up a video of the game's (excellent IMO) main theme.

Love it, quite medieval-y and really fits the Zelda universe.