NEurope
drahkon

NieR: Automata (2017)

Has just been revealed at the Square Enix conference. PlatinumGames on board.

For PS4 for now. Not sure if this will be exclusive. Probably not.

Will update when screens/trailers are uploaded.

nierbonkers.jpg

Edit: More updates on the game in Fall 2015.

Artwork trailer:

Edited by drahkon

I like when a game's name is onomatopoeia for the sound of complete indifference I made when it was announced.

Awesome, the first game was great.

Can't wait to see what new player hating punishment Taro Yoko comes up with for us.

Deleted all your saved games and made it so you couldn't use the same file name anymore.

GSFwgDx.gif

My new favorite gif

wNzdANg.gif

The man is a national treasure.

Also he's said they probably won't delete our save files this time because they like to do new things....but its early in development so it might happen.

I'm liking the look of this. Was the first game any good? I've never even heard of it.

I'm liking the look of this. Was the first game any good? I've never even heard of it.

The first game had passable gameplay. It was fun, but I could see how others wouldn't care for it. Outside of that what it has is a FANTASTIC soundtrack, and a heartfelt depressing story that you feel deep down might not end well. You know...you're just a dad trying to save your daughter from her debilitating notcancer.

The absolute best way to experience the game if you can't play it is to read this. http://lparchive.org/NIER/ TheDarkId shows off everything and gets all the endings and adds his own commentary at times in a delightful way. Even if you can or have played it I recommend reading all of that. I did it during breaks at work.

More gameplay way back from E3:

This game deserves more interest. It's ridiculously Japanese insofar as the environments look stunning while also remaining a bit lifeless, non-interactive and overly videogamey, but that's a reservation that can apply to most hack-and-slash games. I don't generally delve into the genre because of that unsatisfying feeling of disconnect between the erratic, hack-and-slash style movement of the characters and their apparent grounding in the environment; if the characters aren't bounded by the world's physics, the sense of scale between them and their surroundings is thrown off, and that's when you feel detached as a player.

But less of that bullshit, what I came here to say is that Nier has nailed that 'old-school with a fresh lick of paint' vibe, and is basically charming and fun and deliciously similar to Furi.

Y'dig?

A timely bump to remind anyone that's interested in this (however few that may be :p) that a demo launched today.

I've already played through and it just confirmed what I knew already and that this is definitely a day one purchase for me. I absolutely loved the previous game and the involvement of Platinum Games has, unsurprisingly, shored up what was probably the only weakness in that game, the gameplay. Even this early, the combat is responsive as hell and silky smooth, I instantly fell in love with it.

If the story is even half as decent as the previous game then this'll be a must have title and the end of the demo gave a small insight of what may happen, it certainly left me wanting more, which is all you want/expect from a demo.

The wait to early March just got a lot more intolerable, thankfully the first couple of months of 2017 should have just enough to keep me otherwise occupied.

Finished the demo just now. I have never played any other games in the series, but I really liked what I saw in the demo. Most likely day 1 purchase for me.

Very strong start for this game in Japan this week. It also gave the PS4 a healthy hardware boost.

I was listening to PS I Love You this morning and they were talking about the trophies in this game. It turns out that you can actually unlock certain trophies you're missing by buying them using in game currency. However, you can't do this straight away. If you want to unlock the trophies via this method then you after to complete the game 3 times.

It's certainly a unique way to unlock trophies and can give those who struggle getting them by the normal means a way to platinum the game. It will be interesting to see if this catches one with other games.

@Tales and @drahkon. Being fellow trophy hunters, what's your thoughts on this?

I wouldn't use that system unless maybe for luck based trophies. I HATE luck based trophies for obvious reasons.

Other than that I don't really care. ::shrug: These days I don't even go for Platinum trophies anymore...

I wouldn't use that system unless maybe for luck based trophies. I HATE luck based trophies for obvious reasons.

Other than that I don't really care. ::shrug: These days I don't even go for Platinum trophies anymore...

Someone over on Push Square made a good point about multiplayer trophies. It would good for developers to implement a way, such as the one seen in Nier, for online trophies for when the servers go offline.

You burnt out on the trophy hunt?

Someone over on Push Square made a good point about multiplayer trophies. It would good for developers to implement a way, such as the one seen in Nier, for online trophies for when the servers go offline.

Ah, didn't think of that. Would be pretty cool.

You burnt out on the trophy hunt?

Not really, but I don't have much time to game these days and after I finish a game I'd like to experience another one instead of dabbling around with trophies.

Very strong start for this game in Japan this week. It also gave the PS4 a healthy hardware boost.

I was listening to PS I Love You this morning and they were talking about the trophies in this game. It turns out that you can actually unlock certain trophies you're missing by buying them using in game currency. However, you can't do this straight away. If you want to unlock the trophies via this method then you after to complete the game 3 times.

It's certainly a unique way to unlock trophies and can give those who struggle getting them by the normal means a way to platinum the game. It will be interesting to see if this catches one with other games.

@Tales and @drahkon. Being fellow trophy hunters, what's your thoughts on this?

Kinda lower the meaning of hunting for trophies in the first place though. And removes the value of the plat. Imagine if you had a hundred platinums you just bought in a cheat menu. At least it's hidden until the 3rd playthrough. I haven't seen the trophy list yet, but I would definitivily try to get them the normal way. Especially collectibles. Although I will make an exception for speedrun and difficulty trophies :p I get the online argument, but if I had to pick I'd prefer no one else implemented this. Why should I spend hundred of hours levelling to lv 100 in Star Wars Battlefront when others are just given the trophy.

So this looks like it's reviewing really high as well, I have to say I did enjoy the demo.

The games won't stop coming this year!

So this looks like it's reviewing really high as well, I have to say I did enjoy the demo.

This is worse than the xmas rush.

It's crazy. I honestly can't remember a Q1 that was as packed as this with quality after quality game. The PS4 has had one hell of a start to 2017 and now we have this, Mass Effect and Persona 5 just around the corner, as well!

I'll put this up there with Horizon and Nioh on the list of games I didn't expect to actually be any good, and instead they're really highly rated! (not the catchiest list title)

Sales figures will probably be very misleading for a while as I imagine many people like me will be leaving several of these games for now but absolutely intend to pick them up eventually.