NEurope
Wii

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (20th Nov)

We can discuss this over a game of Battlefront at some point.

Haha! @Blade we can chat about "niche" and how to lock on to enemy ships!

It's pretty damning to see just how far down the page this thread was considering the game has only been out for a couple of weeks :eek:

Someone got my brother a voucher for his birthday and he used it towards Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash yesterday. I had a couple of games with him last night, firstly in Classic Mode and then a Mega Battle.

I dread to think how much it actually was (even with the voucher) but I'm fairly certain it wasn't worth it. I could tell from the very first shot I played that making contact with the ball just didn't feel satisfying at all. It felt a lot worse than I anticipated as I thought it would at least be good to play in multiplayer but now I'm not so sure ::shrug:

Ultimately, my experience of the series told and I beat my brother 6-0 with ease :grin:

The introduction of Mega Mushrooms for our second set totally changed the game though and it was even less enjoyable (and not just because he managed to beat me 7-6 in doubles with the CPU after the set finished in a tie break :heh:)

The larger characters were pretty annoying as there wasn't reall any way to get past them and it made everything extremely unbalanced. In that tie break, his doubles partner of Bowser had the pleasure of being huge for almost the entire time meaning that I never felt like I had any hope of actually getting anywhere, however much I tried to stay in the points on that super bouncy mushroom surface :hmm:

The doubles match seemed to go on forever and it's a shame that I was just waiting for it to end as I wasn't really enjoying it.

At this rate, I may never pick it up for myself, whatever the price..

Hmm.. Played this in doubles tonight with friends and I really do think it's awful :sad:

There's no satisfaction when hitting the ball and the whole thing just feels like a bit of a mess. There was also a ludicrous number of body shots throughout the set we played..

How on earth did they make it so bad? :hmm:

Yep, I played it over christmas with my nephews and it's atrocious, the basic gameplay is just awful. You can press the button almost anywhere on the court and the player will dart across and reach it... It's so pitiful... Barely any skill or nuance whatsoever!! Awful awful game.

Is anyone still playing this?

I borrowed it from my brother on Monday and have been playing it a little this week.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

It's possibly not quite as bad as I thought, initially, though it would benefit from considerably more content. I wish I had bought it when I saw it for the price quoted in my Miiverse post, expecially knowing that I could have got the Toad amiibo for use in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker!

I guess I missed out :hmm:

This game makes me sad. All that potential and it's nothing but a skeleton of a game :(

It was sacrificed so that Star Fox Zero could live, but I suppose that game deserved it more though.

This game makes me sad. All that potential and it's nothing but a skeleton of a game :(

It was sacrificed so that Star Fox Zero could live, but I suppose that game deserved it more though.

If anything, Ultra Smash shows that perhaps sharing games between a potential NX home and portable isn't such a bad idea. Mario Tennis Open is actually pretty decent on 3DS and would have been great with a little extra polish for Wii U :smile:

If Nintendo didn't have to divide the resources so much, particularly if they only needed one version of things like Mario Tennis and Mario Kart per generation instead of two separate games, perhaps we'd have more potential for diversity and new games :hehe:

I am not still playing it, but there was a solid game of tennis underneath this thing, and I did actually enjoy the time I spent with it.

Its just maddening that there was not a bit more to the game (like friends mode online).

Its quite similar to Streetfighter 5 I suppose from a single player perspective - except with worse online.

The game is awful, not because of the content, but because of the way it plays - YOU CANT HIT A WINNER!!!!! You can press the button from anywhere and the player flies across the court and hits it. It's so depressingly stupid

The game is awful, not because of the content, but because of the way it plays - YOU CANT HIT A WINNER!!!!! You can press the button from anywhere and the player flies across the court and hits it. It's so depressingly stupid

that's like Tottenham saying football is awful because they can never win the league :hug::hug:

that's like Tottenham saying football is awful because they can never win the league :hug::hug:

Well we might, and we don't need dirty money to do it!

If Nintendo didn't have to divide the resources so much, particularly if they only needed one version of things like Mario Tennis and Mario Kart per generation instead of two separate games, perhaps we'd have more potential for diversity and new games :hehe:

But wouldn't that generally mean less money for Nintendo?

But wouldn't that generally mean less money for Nintendo?

Not really since they can make something else instead of two Mario Kart games, or two Mario Tennis games. We could have Mario Kart 9 and Luigi's Mansion 3 instead of MK9 and MK10 for instance...

In essence, for games like MK or MT which would theoretically play on both handheld and console, it means that the audience for said games becomes larger, allowing them to make more money for making one game than they otherwise would.