NEurope
Wii

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (20th Nov)

Off topic but is Mario tennis open on 3DS actually worth getting?

In comparison to this? I'd recommend it ten times over. : peace:

In general... I'd recommend it anyway. :)

Mario tennis open is a Brilliant game. I'm tempted to have a go this weekend to see just how bad ultra smash is

Mario tennis open is a Brilliant game. I'm tempted to have a go this weekend to see just how bad ultra smash is

I actually played it a little recently as I had quite a few StreetPass hits for it :smile:

It plays a pretty good game of tennis, truth me told, and makes you wonder how great the Wii U version could have been with more time spent on it and a little less focus on mega mushrooms and chance shots.

I'm FUUUUMED to be reading these comments about how this game has turned out.

It's like, the only tennis game to be released in ages. Or it certainly feels like ages. Why the fuck there hasn't been s new virtua tennis for this gem is beyond me too. Now that's a tennis game.

But this had the potential to really be good and a great tennis game but sounds like it's absolute shite. Should have released it next summer to tie in with Wimbledon. Might have been ready then!

This has already dropped to £23.85 at SimplyGames so there's always a chance it'll drop below £20 somewhere relatively soon, much like Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush did when I snapped it up earlier in the year :grin:

I'm sure there'll be more content released for this later, it sounds so bare bones that there must be something. I think i'll pick it up eventually, especially if it gets around £20.

I managed to play some of this over the weekend. Whilst I would never suggest that someone actually buy the game I have been enjoying playing it. Probably helps that I have not played a game since the N64 and Cube ones so I have been missing some tennis. I doubt it will last long, but as the n-europe review suggests there are some strong tennis mechanics in the game. Four player (local) doubles with 'simple' controls is obviously the best way to play it.

*Simple means with no chance shots or mushrooms or any of that other rubbish.

I managed to play some of this over the weekend. Whilst I would never suggest that someone actually buy the game I have been enjoying playing it. Probably helps that I have not played a game since the N64 and Cube ones so I have been missing some tennis. I doubt it will last long, but as the n-europe review suggests there are some strong tennis mechanics in the game. Four player (local) doubles with 'simple' controls is obviously the best way to play it.

*Simple means with no chance shots or mushrooms or any of that other rubbish.

It's funny - they've tried to make it more random and chaotic like Mario Kart since the N64 one but they haven't realised is that the fundamental gameplay, particularly in the N64 version, is simply brilliant and doesn't need gimmicks.

It's almost as if Tennis is supposed to be fun!

Absolutely. I think they keep trying to find the excuse to make it 'Mario' tennis, but actually everything they have ever done just limits the 'tennis' of the game further. I would be quite happy with standard tennis and the Mario characters to sell it.

I would also add, that having played the N64 one recently, I do appreciate the modern additions to the game such as HD, widescreen 60fps and quicker character movement. As much as a loved it at the time, going back was a bit disappointing.

It's funny - they've tried to make it more random and chaotic like Mario Kart since the N64 one but they haven't realised is that the fundamental gameplay, particularly in the N64 version, is simply brilliant and doesn't need gimmicks.

It's almost as if Tennis is supposed to be fun!

Exactly.

The whole thing reminds me of this quote from Miyamoto.

"I certainly understand that people want a new F-Zero game," Miyamoto explained to IGN. "I think where I struggle is that I don't really have a good idea for what's new that we could bring to F-Zero that would really turn it into a great game again."

Not every game needs to have some new gimmick or hook to get players interested in them. Just build upon the fundamentals of the game and leave it at that.

I mean, I imagine most people would have been happy with a full remake of Mario Tennis 64. Just add in a few new characters as unlocks, online play WITH friends and job is done. No need for giant mushrooms or anything like that. Again, the same could be said of F-Zero. GX was perfect and all that is needed is a fresh coat of paint and online multiplayer. Easy.

EDIT: I see that both this and Amiibo Festival didn't even break into the UK Top 40. Not surprised at all.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Mega Mushrooms in F-Zero is almost inevitable :heh:

Seriously, though, I had to agree with IGN on their Nintendo Voice Chat the other week when they were questioning why The Legend of Zelda is their go-to series for remakes. F-Zero GX HD on Wii U and F-Zero X 3D on 3DS would make many of us very happy!

Mega Mushrooms in F-Zero is almost inevitable :heh:

Seriously, though, I had to agree with IGN on their Nintendo Voice Chat the other week when they were questioning why The Legend of Zelda is their go-to series for remakes. F-Zero GX HD on Wii U and F-Zero X 3D on 3DS would make many of us very happy!

Awww... Someone's giving the impression they think F-Zero does nearly as well as Zelda in terms of sales.

I, for example, would be very indifferent. I wouldn't buy it, that's for sure. And I'm 100% certain I wouldn't be the only one.

Awww... Someone's giving the impression they think F-Zero does nearly as well as Zelda in terms of sales.

I, for example, would be very indifferent. I wouldn't buy it, that's for sure. And I'm 100% certain I wouldn't be the only one.

Don't patronise me, you heathen :nono:

Don't patronise me, you heathen :nono:

I'm only taking a jab for laughs.

Sorry if it came off as rude.

But you can't deny that there's a bit of business sense behind F-Zero's absence.

It's a very niche series after all. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people only knew it existed because of Smash.

But you can't deny that there's a bit of business sense behind F-Zero's absence.

It's a very niche series after all. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people only knew it existed because of Smash.

Absolutely.. but that's a shame! Having said that, a remake of Super Mario Sunshine or Galaxy in HD would rival Zelda for sales numbers and yet we keep getting remakes of the latter!

I knew that F-Zero GX wasn't going to sell well at the time, but that still didn't stop me buying it when it came out and getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. :)

Really I don't know why Nintendo just don't re-release it with HD visuals and a robust online mode and sell it for £10 less than normal retail price, it would sell... probably... I'd buy it again anyway. :heh:

It's the same with Mario Tennis for me, the N64 version on the Wii U VC would be enough for me personally. : peace:

Of course I'm all for new installments of Mario Tennis but only if they actually bring something good to the table.

To be fair looking how Nintendo titles do in the general top 40 you could say a large majority of their series are "niche".

To be fair looking how Nintendo titles do in the general top 40 you could say a large majority of their series are "niche".

Is that the UK top 40?

Because if so, that's a bit harsh, isn't it?

Everyone knows the UK hates Ninty.

I posted in the other thread, a lot of Nintendo games still sell more than most "big" games on other consoles when Sheikah made out it the lack of sales proved Nintendo weren't good anymore and said it needs mass appeal games like Withcer 3 etc I then pointed out that Splatoon, Kart, Smash and maybe even Mario maker and such had sold more. Funny he didn't respond...

Same in Denmark. In fact, in which European country does Nintendo games sell the best?

I wanna say France. Going by a few Gaf threads in the past, France seems to do alright when it comes to Nintendo sales, at least in comparison to the rest of Europe.

I posted in the other thread, a lot of Nintendo games still sell more than most "big" games on other consoles when Sheikah made out it the lack of sales proved Nintendo weren't good anymore and said it needs mass appeal games like Withcer 3 etc I then pointed out that Splatoon, Kart, Smash and maybe even Mario maker and such had sold more. Funny he didn't respond...

In the UK?

I wanna say France. Going by a few Gaf threads in the past, France seems to do alright when it comes to Nintendo sales, at least in comparison to the rest of Europe.

In the UK?

Can you get specific UK figures? just mean generally, if we're talking about a game being niche, how it sells in one territory doesn't really tell the story does it?

Can you get specific UK figures? just mean generally, if we're talking about a game being niche, how it sells in one territory doesn't really tell the story does it?

No, but we were talking about the UK top 40 when Blade made the comment.

I dunno if the specific figures are made available but most of the time guys on Gaf do all the number crunching. :D

No, but we were talking about the UK top 40 when Blade made the comment.

I dunno if the specific figures are made available but most of the time guys on Gaf do all the number crunching. :D

He just said most of nintendo games were niche. Something not selling well in one territory doesn't make it niche... maybe it's just semantics... but niche definitely isn't the right word :D

He just said most of nintendo games were niche. Something not selling well in one territory doesn't make it niche... maybe it's just semantics... but niche definitely isn't the right word :D

We can discuss this over a game of Battlefront at some point.