NEurope
Wii

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (20th Nov)

Nintendo life recent preview confirms that single player mode is absolute trash.

No chance I will but this unless it hits the bargain bin.

I still find it staggering you can't decide ho along you want matches with fiends though, doesn't make any sense :(

2000px-Nintendo.svg.png

I'll almost certainly get it if I ever see it for a low price but there's no chance of me buying this at full price. In fact, I'm playing the N64 version at the moment and having a blast : peace:

I'll almost certainly get it if I ever see it for a low price but there's no chance of me buying this at full price. In fact, I'm playing the N64 version at the moment and having a blast : peace:

Good man. Best version of Mario Tennis right there.

Good man. Best version of Mario Tennis right there.

It really is :grin: None of them have ever felt quite right since, though I plan to give the GC version a go again this evening to see how I feel about it now.

The introduction of 'special' shots has coincided with the demise of the series..

That's more positive at least (That DAN who reviews for Nintendo World Report, he's great on twitter and stuff, but his writing his awful); but yeah, the content is AWFUL, this is purely a multiplayer game. So it's all about can I play friends!!

If I can play friends I'll get it as my nephews will love it. If I can decide ho along to have matches I may even start getting excited for it.

To be honest I'm really fine with the fact that this is going to be a primarily multiplayer game. I'm also playing through the '64 game at the moment - and having an absolute blast - but for me an online multiplayer game in the franchise is a dream come true for me.

I'll play MT64 game (and power tennis) for single player and ultra smash for online - minus the chance shots and powerups. As long as the core gameplay is good and you can play with friends (I *very* much doubt they'll omit that!), then I'll be more than happy.

I hope that they're considering post launch support, because the lack of content is criminal. It's the lightest single player offering in the whole series by quite a bit!

When even the N64 game has substantially more content than your new one, you know that you've underdelivered!

True. Mind you, Splatoon was lambasted for low content at the start - but then things fleshed out. I have a feeling that might not happen for this one though as it's not first party and is perhaps a more minor release, relatively.

On a side note, thank god they didn't include motion controls. I've seen lots of complaints about this but I'm glad they just concentrated all their efforts on one control method. Motion was absolutely terrible in Mario power tennis for the Wii. Buttons and a stick makes for much more precise, skillful control in my opinion...

EDIT:: I only just saw the Nintendo world report hands on preview...

If the situation is as bad as this paints it then that's a real shame. The real crunch is if they really won't let us play friends online as this guy says. That would be the most baffling, idiotic decision. If that's so and taking into account all the single player omissions, then I think we can say with genuine sadness that Camelot really have lost their way. Maybe they have some leadership problems, or some key people have left - or they were just forced to rush it to market. I suspect it's a combination of all three.

Either way, I'll wait until the release before making a judgement.

Edited by Andykara2003
Automerged Doublepost

The more I play Mario Tennis on the N64 this week, the more I'm starting to want this a little more. Hopefully there'll be a good deal on it somewhere shortly after release, much like there was with Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush :grin:

Having said that, though, I wonder if it's going to offer me much considering the enjoyment I'm getting from the N64 version. I still have to play through the game with loads of other characters and unlock the special courts so there's certainly plenty of life left in it!

Oh boy... how nintendo have the cheek to charge anything about 19.99 RRP I have no idea. Disgusting #stillbuyingit

I've been playing the N64 version of Mario Tennis quite a lot over the last few days and there's still a good few things to do before I consider it to be 'clear'. It's still great fun, though : peace:

As for Mario Power Tennis on the Gamecube, I only picked it up some time during the Wii's lifespan and never really bothered much with it as it felt inferior to the N64 game. A brief spell with it last night suggests it could be pretty good to play through too so I'm sort of feeling like I don't even need Ultra Smash as Power Tennis kinda feels like a new game to me :grin:

Power tennis is fantastic IMO - very playable. It all depends if you enjoy the power shots which I absolutely love, although it would be nice to have an option for a tournament mode without them too. The core tennis gameplay is great tho

To me, this feels like the most rushed to market and rehashed first party title since Mario Sports Mix....

No way - there is way more content and modes in mario sports mix than it sounds like there is in this game. (It even has a rendered title screen and everything)

I am *this* close to cancelling my pre-order.

To me, this feels like the most rushed to market and rehashed first party title since Mario Sports Mix....

Mario Sports Mix might have very basic gameplay that doesn't have much depth (which makes sense considering that it was made by Square Enix internally, who have very little experience in making non RPG games), but it certainly wasn't rushed. The production values were very high, the game was one of the best looking on the console and it was packed with content.

Mario Sports Mix might have very basic gameplay that doesn't have much depth (which makes sense considering that it was made by Square Enix internally, who have very little experience in making non RPG games), but it certainly wasn't rushed. The production values were very high, the game was one of the best looking on the console and it was packed with content.

I should try Mario Sports Mix out then :indeed:

It just felt like such an unimaginative title rushed out at the end of the Wii lifespan that I didn't even bother with it. Same feeling I get with this title...

Perhaps you shouldn't give the game (Mario Sports Mix) any time - it is very shallow in the sports mini-games it offers, but this really seems like a whole new low. If you (or anyone) are considering getting the game, listen to the video here:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/hands-on-preview/41398/mario-tennis-ultra-smash-wii-u-hands-on-preview

It sounds so bare bones its crazy.

When the game hopefully becomes cheap, I reckon it'll still provide plenty of enjoyment in multiplayer with friends. The lack of content is, of course, highly disappointing but having recently played through a few StreetPass matches on Mario Tennis Open, I'm sure the gameplay will at least be excellent, though I imagine it will be preferable without the Mega Mushrooms and Chance Shots :heh:

I quite liked Mario Sports Mix actually. Ok, it's not going to win any awards for its gameplay depth (definately don't go in expecting the depth of Camelot's Mario sports games), but I had a decent time with it.

The gimmick courts are pretty fun and it has some neat ideas along with some great music!

I'd say it's worth picking up, but not before any of Camelot's work (or the Mario Strikers games).

When the game hopefully becomes cheap, I reckon it'll still provide plenty of enjoyment in multiplayer with friends. The lack of content is, of course, highly disappointing but having recently played through a few StreetPass matches on Mario Tennis Open, I'm sure the gameplay will at least be excellent, though I imagine it will be preferable without the Mega Mushrooms and Chance Shots :heh:

Yeah, even though it's a real shame that it looks to be criminally lacking in content, the multiplayer will no doubt be fantastic.

I can't help but think this is a game that they rushed to fill a hole :/

Well obviously.