NEurope
Wii

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (20th Nov)

Someone on Gaf suggested Shovel Knight should be a secret character, with him using the shovel as a tennis racket. This makes too much sense. :D

Someone on Gaf suggested Shovel Knight should be a secret character, with him using the shovel as a tennis racket. This makes too much sense. :D

That was me, BTW. :awesome:

That was me, BTW. :awesome:

BGBW said it first but yeah you added the shovel as a racket. Cracking idea. :D:bowdown:

Looks like all the different courts take place in the same arena, but with the turf changed... That's disappointing. Yeah they've got their different stats, but there's not much visual variety and where are all the cool gimmick stages!?

There does seem to be more unannounced modes though, there's one where Kamek makes a super powered up version of Bowser that you play against...

Still, no sign of Ring Shot has me worried though...

Edited by Dcubed

22nd October, 2015 – Coming exclusively to Wii U in Europe on November 20th, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash offers brand new fun for court competitors, including the ability to team up with amiibo. Supported amiibo can be your partner in online doubles matches, or join you to battle strong computer-controlled opponents in the offline Knockout Challenge mode. The more matches your amiibo plays, the more experience it’ll gain, becoming a uniquely powerful team-mate as its abilities increase over time.

New faces like Rosalina also hit the courts, along with returning characters like Luigi, Waluigi, Boo and more for tennis with a distinct Mushroom Kingdom twist. On top of standard shots like topspin, lobs, slices and more, the new Ultra Smash move sees characters leap high into the air and smash the ball down to devastating effect. Adept tennis tacticians can also gain the advantage by hitting the right shot while standing in the coloured Chance Areas that occasionally appear, unleashing super-strong smashes or bamboozling slices to flummox adversaries on the other side of the net.

Using a combination of controllers including the Wii U GamePad, Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller and Classic Controller Pro, up to four players can get together in supported modes for lively tennis battles. And with a choice of camera angles, there’ll be no more defeats blamed on having to play on the far side of the court – the TV and GamePad screen can each show a different end of the court, so both teams will always have the perfect view.

An array of gameplay modes offer plenty of opportunities for tennis tomfoolery:

· Knockout Challenge: Tense tiebreak matches against increasingly difficult computer-controlled opponents await in this single-player mode. If the going gets too tough, you can call in a supported amiibo as your doubles partner.

· Mega Battle: Your character grows to gigantic proportions after grabbing a Mega Mushroom, dominating the court with their increased power and range. When rivals on both sides of the net are giant-sized, anything can happen!

· Classic Tennis: For those who prefer their tennis a little more traditional, Classic Tennis offers two variations: Standard mode features Chance Shots and Jump Shots but no Mega Mushrooms, while Simple puts competitors between the tramlines with no Chance Shots or power-ups – a real test of tennis prowess.

· Online multiplayer: Go up against distant adversaries from all over the world in competitive ranked play in either Mega Battle or Classic Tennis modes, or quickly jump into more casual matches. Two players on the same console can team up to take on all-comers, or a supported amiibo can join you on as your doubles partner on the online courts.

As a limited launch offer, anyone who purchases Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash from Nintendo eShop in its first four weeks on sale will receive a download code for the Nintendo 64 game Mario Tennis on Wii U Virtual Console. This N64 title not only kick-started Mario’s tennis career, it also introduced the world to Waluigi for the very first time.

Compete to see who’s the top seed in your household, train up a compatible amiibo as a powerful doubles partner and match up against online opponents in Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, coming to Wii U in Europe on November 20th. Two colourful new controller designs – Wii Remote Plus Toad and Wii Remote Plus Bowser – will also be available on the same day. To get a taste of the tennis action, check out the Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash trailer on YouTube.

Hopefully that means the N64 version isn't far from release. It's still the best tennis game i've ever played. :bowdown::heart:

Free Mario Tennis 64? Don't mind if I do! :D

So that's three side games that we know about now (Knockout Challenge, Mega Ball Smash and that odd Kamek/Super Bowser mode). Still awaiting gimmick courts and other modes like Ring Shot though...

Knockout Challenge sounds very similar to the Streetpass Challenge mode from MTOpen. Which is fine, I had a good time trying to aim for a high score on that one :)

I think it's pretty clear this is all the game has to offer, otherwise it'd be in the official write up. As for gimmicky courts - thank god they're not in it!!!

It's still possible to play as Miis, right? :hmm:

This game seems so low on content, I wouldn't be surprised if they left that out too!

It's still possible to play as Miis, right? :hmm:

This game seems so low on content, I wouldn't be surprised if they left that out too!

Yeah, it's pretty awful really, especially as it isn't a budget price either.

Finally some solid info!!

Online play confirmed (Doubles and Singles this time - with two players per system supported). Amiibo support as well (works like in Smash Bros, you train up an AI player who you can play against - with data saved to the Amiibo itself).

Supports Wii Remotes (sideways), Wii Classic Controllers, Wii U Pro Controllers and the Gamepad (no GCN controller support or motion controls of any kind). Control setup is the same as Mario Tennis Open (so purple Smash Shots are controlled by a seperate button instead of A+B and you can dive manually by pressing L or R).

Gamepad can be used to display the opposite end of the court in multiplayer, so players will always have the camera behind them, otherwise it can be set to duplicate the TV display (for Off TV) or can be set to display a scoreboard.

A new mode called Mega Ball Smash, where you play with a giant ball that you have to keep going in a rally for as long as you can.

And something that is sure to please more than a few people... There is an option to play without Jump Shots or Chance Shots! Yes, you can turn them off and play just pure tennis!

More characters are revealed as well, including Rosalina.

Suspiciously, no other modes have been seen, nor even any gimmick stages... Surely it can't be THAT light on content though, even the N64 game had far more than that on offer! (Surely it at least has Ring Shot!? Every single Camelot made Mario sports game has had it for Christ's sake!!)

THIS!

I was a little lukewarm on this until the news came out that you can switch off all the gimmickery off & have pure, classic online tennis. I hope some of the guys on here'll be up for some multiplayer!

So how many peeps are definitely planning to pick this game up at launch?

Just wondering how active the online play will be, because it's obviously not looking good on the single player front. :blank:

I'm still very much undecided. :hmm:

Just wondering how active the online play will be, because it's obviously not looking good on the single player front. :blank:

It depends on how the online works. If it's a pain in the backside to play with friends and get games going ( points at Triforce Heroes ) then I may skip it, especially with other consoles fighting for my time.

It depends on how the online works. If it's a pain in the backside to play with friends and get games going ( points at Triforce Heroes ) then I may skip it, especially with other consoles fighting for my time.
Yeah, I imagine you'll be well into Battlefront by then. ;)

And I'm also thinking that if Simply Games are on the ball, I could be rocking JC3 at the end of November! Which would make playing this game very difficult indeed. :heh:

I'm 100% getting this game. Love Mario Tennis!!

I'm 100% getting this game. Love Mario Tennis!!

Definitely getting this! Online is where it's at for me so hopefully we can get something going around here :)

Course I'm getting it day 1! It's Mario Tennis! The classic multiplayer mainstay!

Even if the single player content is lacking (and it would be a tremendous shame if the single player is as barebones as it looks like it might be), the multiplayer will be an absolute riot as always :D

Yeah, I've just accepted the single player will be naff. Like I keep saying, if you can decide the games and sets then this will be incredible! The beat 'em up style first to 2 was still great fun, but very limited in drama.

Course I'm getting it day 1! It's Mario Tennis! The classic multiplayer mainstay!

Even if the single player content is lacking (and it would be a tremendous shame if the single player is as barebones as it looks like it might be), the multiplayer will be an absolute riot as always :D

And I'll be there, leeching off his Wi-Fi, using his console.

(Yeah, I'm not buying, not much point.)

Yeah, I imagine you'll be well into Battlefront by then. ;)

And I'm also thinking that if Simply Games are on the ball, I could be rocking JC3 at the end of November! Which would make playing this game very difficult indeed. :heh:

There's also Yakuza 5 for you to think about.

There's also Yakuza 5 for you to think about.
You're right (I hope ;)), and The Tomorrow Children (I hope once again :hehe:).

Man, whether I get Mario Tennis or not, November/December is going to be crazy! :shakehead

Nothing new there though, ey? :grin:

Oh bot, heard the hands on? NO YOU CAN'T HAVE 6 game 5 set EPICS!!!! ARGH!!!!! Just the same bollocks first to 2.

Also implies there are no lobbies so can't play with friends, but SURELY THAT IS BOLLOCKS, you can on 3DS version and it won't be worse...

Oh bot, heard the hands on? NO YOU CAN'T HAVE 6 game 5 set EPICS!!!! ARGH!!!!! Just the same bollocks first to 2.

Also implies there are no lobbies so can't play with friends, but SURELY THAT IS BOLLOCKS, you can on 3DS version and it won't be worse...

Urge to buy... fading... :laughing:

Urge to buy... fading... :laughing:

If you can;t play with friends that'll probably tip me into the not buy category, but I can't see it, so will still buy it.

I still find it staggering you can't decide ho along you want matches with fiends though, doesn't make any sense :(