NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Dreams (14th Feb 2020)

I spent some of yesterday messing about with the teleporter gadgets for moving objects into a scene. I couldn't work out how to change the glow colour of a on object I was using with a trigger zone so I opted to make a duplicate object that had the secondary colour I wanted and used a trigger zone to teleport it in. Works seamlessly as the new object goes in the exact same place as the original when triggered so it kind of hits the mark for what I was going for.

Enjoying getting my head around the gadgets. There's a huge amount of depth to what can be done with them and just figuring out things has really got my inquisitive side hooked.

Today I've been messing around with animations and trying to get custom animations to match up with an over the shoulder camera position. I'm using the deluxe puppet as a starting block but figuring out where to put gadgets was causing me some annoyance until I scoped right in on the puppets microchip and into the basics there. Managed to rig up a rough animation where if you press L2, the left arm comes up and holds a rudimentary flashlight I quickly threw together while the camera pans in to being over the shoulder. Not to bad for my first go at adding a custom animation to something that's already there (I'd briefly messed with the camera tools yesterday on a basic platforming stage and worked out panning and camera switching based on scene location so that helped a bit).

Hopefully iron out a few of the issues and add some extra bits to the animation rig. The flashlight addition gave me an idea to mess around and see if I could do some Alan Wake-esque stuff so I'll be spending time messing with that over the next couple of days.

Really enjoying messing around with it all though. Even if I don't make something complete, learning to make things and get it all working together has been great fun and easily made the early access worth the price of entry for me.

• Like 1

People starting to get in to the industry and the game still hasn’t been released yet.

Ive been playing through the beta and early access and the tool set really is amazing and it should only get better with full release. Hoping it gets a PS5 upgrade so you can make bigger and better stuff.

• Like 2

So this officially releases this coming week, on the 14th. Those who jumped in during Early Access will have access to the full release as of Tuesday 11th however.

Very interested to jump back in and see what the single player entails. Also looking forward to getting to grips with dream sculpting again. I've dabbled a little bit over the last week but it's been months since I touched the game so it has been a little rough going. I also didn't have a cloud or backup of my save and so I've lost everything I'd been working on when I jumped into early access in April and May which kind of sucks.

Still, its giving me a chance to work from scratch and see if I can work on completing an actual game or scene. I've got a general idea for something sci-fi based and have been doing a bit of writing for it as it would be more of a narrative thing than anything else (which means I don't have to worry about doing much extensive animation, though that's something I'm looking forward to messing with). But I'll see how it goes. Just curious to get back into the swing with it and to try out the stick based controls on the final version.

I'm honestly more curious about how well the game is going to sell more than actually playing it. It could be a real make or break situation for the studio.

1 hour ago, Ganepark32 said:

So this officially releases this coming week, on the 14th. Those who jumped in during Early Access will have access to the full release as of Tuesday 11th however.

Very interested to jump back in and see what the single player entails. Also looking forward to getting to grips with dream sculpting again. I've dabbled a little bit over the last week but it's been months since I touched the game so it has been a little rough going. I also didn't have a cloud or backup of my save and so I've lost everything I'd been working on when I jumped into early access in April and May which kind of sucks.

Still, its giving me a chance to work from scratch and see if I can work on completing an actual game or scene. I've got a general idea for something sci-fi based and have been doing a bit of writing for it as it would be more of a narrative thing than anything else (which means I don't have to worry about doing much extensive animation, though that's something I'm looking forward to messing with). But I'll see how it goes. Just curious to get back into the swing with it and to try out the stick based controls on the final version.

Yeah Im still playing dreams pretty regular and always try and contribute something to the community jams every couple of weeks. I’m ranking in the top 25% pretty regular so I’m definitely improving, if you need a collaborator for anything let me know as doing everything yourself can be a slow process.
Looking forward to the full release and playing through the campaign that comes on the 11th.

40 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm honestly more curious about how well the game is going to sell more than actually playing it. It could be a real make or break situation for the studio.

To be honest I think the game will review great but won’t do big numbers out the gate, I believe Shu said they had a 10 year plan for Dreams so I think it will be a game that grows over time with the community. Ill be interested to see how they implement dreams with the PS5.

As for Media Molecule I think they’ll be fine, they’re next to no drain on Sony financially and I don’t think they’d want to lose such a talented studio.

• Thanks 1

Wow, I had no idea this was out next week!! Tempted to order it off Amazon now, hopefully the campaign is good and a decent length.

I know Sony are on radio silence lately, but surely they won't doom yet another quirky game with zero promotion :blank: Maybe they're wanting to soft launch it now and properly promote it on the PS5, but I'm sure they'll want all eyes on their usual AAA type games then, so ::shrug:

Edited by Ronnie

So Dreams is reviewing really great and I have to say it’s well deserved. It’s an amazing achievement by Mm to put game development in the hands of everyone.

I played through the story mode the other night, it’s only 2-3 hrs long but fits dreams perfectly. It’s made completely in dreams and shows off just what the game is capable of and how many genres are possible.

Got my fingers crossed this is a success for Mm, they thoroughly deserve it.

• Like 1

Yeah the Dreamiverse is starting to fill up now, it’s had a redesign and is a lot easier to surf and find stuff now. Mm also have quite a few games on there as well as the story game Arts dream.

A couple of games released today below.

The creation tools are certainly looking fantastic but it's a little disappointing to hear that the campaign is only 2-3 hours long, for a game that took seven years to make. 

Edit: Wow, it's only £17 on Amazon, fair enough then!

Edited by Ronnie

Got this today. I've only played the "Story" (tech demo basically) and it's pretty amazing. Did it in one sitting. It has the same floaty controls as Little Big Planet in places, but it demonstrates what can be done beautifully.

The story is pretty good, with a stunning end cutscene. It kind of blew my mind as to how it could be made in a relatively casual game editor, but I've not tried making anything yet, so maybe it's actually pretty easy to get similar results.

Some of what is being made is incredible. This one in particular has been doing the rounds on Twitter today and having jumped in to try it myself, in amazed at how they managed to put this together because it really is phenomenal.

It really puts into perspective the lo-fi stuff I've been working on. Obviously, what I'm doing is completely different style and genre (it's pretty much going to be a movie short as I don't see a need to put interactive elements in there. Plus, I've already got a rough script written that needs a redraft so it was clear that a short was the best way forward) but the person who'd managed to put together that open world and all the components really is immensely talented. I'd love to know how they did the scenery, especially getting that speckled white and grey effect for the mountains as its something that's been bugging me for a while when I see other people's dreams as I can't figure out how to do landscape with that detail.

Anyway, finished Art's Dream last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. That was worth waiting for as it really did ramp up towards the end and I loved the mix of stuff they had you do there. I loved the robot characters as they were so well done. Would love to see the puppets for those to tinker with, same with the scenes themselves to see how they did certain bigs. I believe they're being made available down the line? Hope so.

Spent much of the day just tinkering in my scene. Testing out timelines for dialogue and camera cuts and then making some elements for the scene changes but trying to sculpt as much as possible to improve my skills there and minimise the graphics thermometer usage. Slowly getting there at least and wanting to try to do as much as possible myself to find where my weaknesses are with the tools. Whether I stick with it is a different matter as I'm weeks out for finishing but I'll see.

• Thanks 1

Spent a fair bit of time on this over the weekend, time is definitely the enemy. Been mainly doing imp quests but did build a game for the Temple imp quest, it’s a 2D test level in a 3D landscape and works quite well. Have given it a start screen and a hub scene so more levels can be added in the future. Have another game I made for a previous community jam that I need to finish, so I think I’ll try and complete these 2 games before starting anything else to big, will still try and contribute to future community jams though.

3 minutes ago, Goafer said:

It's probably better made and more fun than the trash that we actually got that was Fallout 4. 

Yes, I disliked it a little. 

10 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

It's probably better made and more fun than the trash that we actually got that was Fallout 4. 

Yes, I disliked it a little. 

Probably less buggy too

It's interesting how cinema is so obsessed with remakes/reboots/films based on an existing property, games has followed suit this past gen, and now the popular videos about Dreams are ones of "check out this old game remade in Dreams".

Trial now available. Come and give the game a try, it’s an amazing game with a great community.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this