NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Horizon: Zero Dawn

http://wccftech.com/guerrilla-talks-the-frozen-wilds-dlc/

Some new info about the DLC.

What we’re seeing in the DLC is a border zone between the Carja and the Banuk, it’s a disputed territory, it’s a very dangerous territory. It’s also primarily inhabited by the Banuk, so there’s been a lot of back and forth and warfare between the Carja and the Banuk, who have kind of settled into this area.

With writing The Frozen Wilds we wanted to do all the things that the main game did. So we wanted to provide a new area, a new culture, but we also wanted to give Aloy relationships to delve into and ultimately a storyline that does what a lot of other quests in the game do.

We focused on some quality of life improvements in the new skills and also added a little bit of a pizzazz. There are some cool new skills that add some new combat dimensions and some new ways to interact with machines.

We have both upgraded versions of weapons you’ve seen in the past and we’ve some brand new weapons which explore some different ways of fighting. We’ve been experimenting with some tweaks on the game’s systems and we think they’re a lot of fun to play with.

Finished the game a second time earlier this week, to get the new trophies for ultra hard difficulty and ng+. With skills and equipment carrying over it was surprisingly easy, although I had to focus entirely on the story after a while. Enemies kill you at 2-4 hits and take far more much damage, so resourced diminished faster than I could regain. Started with 25 000 shards but had 12 000 in the end, including selling lots of stuff, after buying loads of expensive potions between every other story mission. Wouldn't recommend that mode for 100% run or first time. Anyway it was fun getting back into the game and I'm looking forward to the dlc.

For those may not turn on their PS4 very often, Frozen Wild is available for pre download. 9GB. Should start automatically once you turn on the PS4. Trophy list is out too, weirdly there's one list for story trophies and one for everything else. Looks like a big expansion from my brief look at them.

• Like 3

On 10/26/2017 at 5:38 PM, Tales said:

Finished the game a second time earlier this week, to get the new trophies for ultra hard difficulty and ng+. With skills and equipment carrying over it was surprisingly easy, although I had to focus entirely on the story after a while. Enemies kill you at 2-4 hits and take far more much damage, so resourced diminished faster than I could regain. Started with 25 000 shards but had 12 000 in the end, including selling lots of stuff, after buying loads of expensive potions between every other story mission. Wouldn't recommend that mode for 100% run or first time. Anyway it was fun getting back into the game and I'm looking forward to the dlc.

In preparation for the DLC, I decided to have a crack at this over the weekend and i'm now just left with the final mission to complete. I've just been doing a critical path run ( it's taken about 4-5 hours ) and it's been pretty easy so far. There were a couple of parts that took a while to do ( Death Bringer and Behemoth battles ) but nothing too bad. I've yet to buy any potions as the healing herbs have kept me nice and healthy and any potions I have used have been replenished by fallen enemies. I'm hoping to get it finished off tonight but I remember having a bit of a hard time with the final battle on normal, never mind trying to fight my way through it on Ultra Hard. 

I forgot just how gorgeous this game is and that's with it just running on a bog standard PS4 and a 10 year old TV. Crazy to think how it would look with a Pro and decent TV set. Gameplay and story are still top notch and I imagine this would have been my GOTY had Mario not been released.

I was reading that the DLC is around 15 hours long! Looks like there's going to be plenty to do on it.

• Like 1

More Horizon is the only thing that'll put Assassin's Creed on hold for me.  I'm excited none the less, can't wait until tomorrow.  The Access team did a video about 6 things we may not have heard about in Horizon's DLC.  One of which interests me, which is.

Spoiler

There is a new tower system, one that repairs the robots and disables any you ride if you get too near it.  And apparently, you can hack it.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

In preparation for the DLC, I decided to have a crack at this over the weekend and i'm now just left with the final mission to complete. I've just been doing a critical path run ( it's taken about 4-5 hours ) and it's been pretty easy so far. There were a couple of parts that took a while to do ( Death Bringer and Behemoth battles ) but nothing too bad. I've yet to buy any potions as the healing herbs have kept me nice and healthy and any potions I have used have been replenished by fallen enemies. I'm hoping to get it finished off tonight but I remember having a bit of a hard time with the final battle on normal, never mind trying to fight my way through it on Ultra Hard. 

I forgot just how gorgeous this game is and that's with it just running on a bog standard PS4 and a 10 year old TV. Crazy to think how it would look with a Pro and decent TV set. Gameplay and story are still top notch and I imagine this would have been my GOTY had Mario not been released.

I was reading that the DLC is around 15 hours long! Looks like there's going to be plenty to do on it.

Btw, you can't change difficulty on ultra hard, so for Frozen Wild you have to continue from your regular run if you want to play on normal. Alternatively, like I did, start a third playthrough, make a rush for Meridian and buy the slightly improved weapons only available on ng+(any difficulty). You don't have to finish the story.

Edited by Tales

23 minutes ago, Tales said:

Btw, you can't change difficulty on ultra hard, so for Frozen Wild you have to continue from your regular run if you want to play on normal. Alternatively, like I did, start a third playthrough, make a rush for Meridian and buy the slightly improved weapons only available on ng+(any difficulty). You don't have to finish the story.

Yeah, that's what i'll be doing.

I just loaded my older 100% normal save and went to the area.

Its north past the metal devil. It extends the game and isnt a sequel. Sylens also speaks and as its Banuk territory, Aloy asks questions about him ;) 

Seems good so far. They are using new effects for the snow etc.and I encountered a new enemy already. Time for sleep now.

• Thanks 1

I will be buying the complete edition for xmas I think. I'm looking forward to give Horizon a go.

32 minutes ago, Blade said:

I will be buying the complete edition for xmas I think. I'm looking forward to give Horizon a go.

You're in for a treat.

I'm looking forward to playing the DLC but i'm not starting it until I finish the game on the hardest difficulty. I didn't get any time on it last night but hopefully I can finish it off tonight and then crack on with the DLC tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, bob said:

Is the DLC free?

Nope. It was around £14.00 when preordering it but now it will be £15.99

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Ah, I'll probably wait for it to get a bit cheaper then. Looks good though!

Was thinking of playing a bit before going to work today, but i got up a little late.  Looking forward to it, and sampling the new features in photomode.  Expect a few snaps to pop up over the next week.

Just reading impressions from the thread over on Era and someone posted this gif of the DLC.

F0mPQU1.gif

The visuals in this game are on another level.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just finished off Ultra Hard mode. Man, the last boss took some doing. I don't think I had a decent enough weapon for it, so I had to just make do with what I had. It took a few tries ( thank goodness for checkpoints ) and I finished it with around 15 seconds left on the clock. I was firing arrows like a mad man! :D 

I look forward to starting the DLC tomorrow evening.

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just reading impressions from the thread over on Era and someone posted this gif of the DLC.

F0mPQU1.gif

The visuals in this game are on another level.

chuffed.gif

Really want more of this. Christmas maybe?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I still dream of BotW with this engine. :D

As well as better combat, higher quality voice acting and meaningful story.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

wjNvtPA.gif

18 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's almost like you consider the game to be over-rated or something! :o

*still hasn't played it*

Really strong start to the game. Dont want to rush it. :grin:

First party games are using some crazy tech.