NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Completed it. So much to talk about. The story, what happened, where it's going. What they could add.

One thing I'll say before going into spoiler territory is, it's been a very long time since I played an endgame that was this smooth and enjoyable. There was no dumb Uncharted 2-like end boss. There were no random quicktime events (*cough* Uncharted 4 *cough*). In fact, from the beginning to the end, the game didn't dip in quality at all for me. It just kept building; everything I learned and everything I did just filled out this bloody wonderful tapestry.

In terms of gameplay and narrative it's one of the most laser focused games I've played – it might not do anything revolutionary but what it does do, without hesitation, it does better than everything else. I really didn't think Guerilla Games had it in them. Sony have owned this studio for 12 years now and it has finally paid dividends, this is a game worth of Naughty Dog.

Now onto spoilers...

I really enjoyed the bit where Aloy finds Elisabeth's body. It were tied up the scene earlier where she sacrifices herself and hints that she's going to go home.

LOL about the Uncharted 2 comparison, because that fight with Helis with the neon exploding blaze is just like that. But not painful, thankfully.

Does anyone know if the side quests you do feed into who turns up at the end? I almost missed the mission with the lady with that massive gun but I can't imagine it happening without that bit. Maybe it's made a required mission before unlocking the final one since I had to help Erend, too.

Where did the signal come from? Where are the other AIs? What is Sylens really after? Is Tim Faro still alive? Did the Odyssey really get destroyed?!

I suspect we haven't heard the last of the Odyssey. It had an early version of Apollo on it. So while Faro destroyed the final version on earth, I think that would be a nice thread to bring back in. Maybe it crash landed and is intact somewhere on Earth? Sylens hungers for knowledge and it wouldn't surprise me to see him become the antagonist of a sequel. Maybe the Odyssey wasn't destroy but was severely damaged (I think the report mentions an explosion, not necessarily that it was blown up); maybe it got to Mars or somewhere close by and managed to colonise a closer planet. Then there could be a possibility of two sets of humanity diverging for almost 1000 years coming back into contact with one another?!

I dunno.

What did everyone else think?

Regarding the side quests, yeah I think they do feed in to who turns up at the end. You know if you got everyone as a trophy is attached to all your allies turning up.

Now the story, I also loved her seeking out Elizabeth's body, it tied things up nicely and was a great ending. I never really considered Odyssey and Apollo surviving, if that happened that could be awesome but for where it goes next I think the side quest acquired taste may of hinted at it with it finishing open ended and the guy asking you to seek him out and he was heading for the forbidden west. One of the scanned glyphs also speaks of the forbidden west that has dead cities and new machines, I also wonder weather that is where Sylens is heading in the credits?

Ah man, this story has so many options and could go in so many directions the devs weren't wrong when they said this is just the start of Aloys journey.

Regarding the side quests, yeah I think they do feed in to who turns up at the end. You know if you got everyone as a trophy is attached to all your allies turning up.

Now the story, I also loved her seeking out Elizabeth's body, it tied things up nicely and was a great ending. I never really considered Odyssey and Apollo surviving, if that happened that could be awesome but for where it goes next I think the side quest acquired taste may of hinted at it with it finishing open ended and the guy asking you to seek him out and he was heading for the forbidden west. One of the scanned glyphs also speaks of the forbidden west that has dead cities and new machines, I also wonder weather that is where Sylens is heading in the credits?

Ah man, this story has so many options and could go in so many directions the devs weren't wrong when they said this is just the start of Aloys journey.

I didn't think about the West.

I wonder if that's maybe a hint more to the DLC's location.

I'd like to see them expand on the Override ability in the next game. So you could give orders, or get a machine to follow you. Maybe even have a personal machine you could customise and upgrade.

I'd also kill to be able to ride a Stormbird.

I think I'm going to go for the Platinum now. Any tips at all to make it a bit easier?

It's pretty straightforward really. A lot moreso than your usual openworld I would say. Check what misc battle trophies you have remaining and remember them as you mop up the other trophies or sidequests. You can buy maps for the collectibles. And do certain sidequests(or all if you, there are 21 sidequests) for that trophy Map mentioned and replay the final mission(only the beginning). Then finish every location like cauldrons and locknecks. The only other thing might be the powercell if you missed them during the main story missions. All of them are found in areas you went to for some of the main missions.

Anyway, as for the story, I don't have much to say other than I agree with you guys. Loved the ending. The story overall was realistic and engrossing. Aloy, and her voice actor, was fantastic.

Edited by Tales

I didn't think about the West.

I wonder if that's maybe a hint more to the DLC's location.

I'd like to see them expand on the Override ability in the next game. So you could give orders, or get a machine to follow you. Maybe even have a personal machine you could customise and upgrade.

I'd also kill to be able to ride a Stormbird.

I think I'm going to go for the Platinum now. Any tips at all to make it a bit easier?

Yeah, the west could well be DLC based. More mountable machines would be awesome, strolling around on a Ravagers back with control of its gun!

For the platinum, do you have all the collectible maps? They make things easier. Having all skills unlocked and weapons will probably help get blazing Suns at hunting grounds.

Edited by Map

This is an easy platinum. Nothing can be missed. It's also fun to do.

Defo Get the maps for the platinum. Only about 60 optional collectibles which is nice.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. One of my all time favourites.

Re: people saying this is GG's first great game, Killzone 2 was great back in the day. I suspect this game will end up with more fans though and is their best work yet.

Edited by Choze

I'm hoping that Horizon arrives today. I've got a real first world problem, though. Do I carry on with Fallout, or do I play something else (smaller) until Horizon gets here and then continue Fallout another time? Not sure if the two games will clash with each other. Opinions?

Horizon will take over :heh:

Finish fallout first.

Big tip: Make sure you get all 3 bow types. The sniper type bow hits hardest but is slow. Buff them using the slots. Purple have 3 upgrade slots.

Horizon will take over :heh:

Finish fallout first.

Big tip: Make sure you get all 3 bow types. The sniper type bow hits hardest but is slow. Buff them using the slots. Purple have 3 upgrade slots.

I'm only a few hours into Fallout. I could easily start again later on. I haven't put 10 or 20 hours into the game.

I started this from scratch last night. The opening still blew me away. Stunning stuff.

I've put a few hours into it this morning and everything has been absolutely fantastic. The visuals, music and story have really drew me into the world. I'm loving how the story has been playing out. It certainly has me intrigued.

I knew Aloy would get screwed over when doing the proving trials but I'm happy she still won. I was quite shocked as to what happened next. Those guys came out of nowhere! I was gutted to see Rost get killed off so early on. It was quite emotional.

:(

Methinks I'm playing something very special here. Can't wait to get back on it. :bouncy:

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Picked this up today, installing now. Looking forward to getting stuck in.

I'm only a few hours into Fallout. I could easily start again later on. I haven't put 10 or 20 hours into the game.

Play Horizon while we're all playing it.

Play Horizon while we're all playing it.

It hasn't arrived yet. It didn't get here today. :(

I'm playing Fallout atm and am just finding it a bit of a drag to get into.

I stopped playing Fallout about 15 hours in. There was something strangely not compelling about it.

I stopped playing Fallout about 15 hours in. There was something strangely not compelling about it.

Yeah, compelling is a good word for this. I'm hoping it gets to a point where it just clicks. I'm tempted to shelve it and play something shorter before Horizon. Might just do that instead.

Done the first tutorial, off into the wild to bag me some Striders...

Man, the story in this game really has me hooked. I'm loving how there's various story threads going on in the main path.

I've started to investigate what's happened to Erend's sister. Looks like she could still be alive but we'll see...

Also, I've just fought my way to Olin, found the cult are digging up machines and then fought them off to question Olin. Very intrigued to see who was helping me during that quest. I ended up sparing Olin's life. The guy had his family held hostage, so I couldn't really blame him for what he done.

I've come across a couple of characters that I love. Both Erend and Nil are fantastic. Easily two of my favourite people I've met so far.

I had a cracking hunt earlier. I seen a herd of Grazers and decided to hunt them down. I managed to take all but one of them down. The last one pegged it and I went after it. I have no idea if this was planned but I ended up chasing it into a couple of Sawtooth. The Grazer got away but I had to adjust on the fly and take down the more ferocious beasts.

fa3e19ffd513583d5f7ae60382262d9a0505d72589cd2374af2b2a7de75e057d.jpg

I seen a Thunderjaw earlier. Nope! Not ready for that yet! :D

@Hero\-of\-Time did you crank up the difficulty to very hard?

Was I supposed to? Is there a difficulty trophy or something?

Was I supposed to? Is there a difficulty trophy or something?

No, but the fights are much more intense and fun. : peace:

3 hours in, this is everything that Zelda wasn't.

Good? :p

Good? :p

Great so far, mobs are balanced and fair and the game offers a variety of solutions to different enemies and situations. Very nice graphically as well!