NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Not that I think it's going to be a problem for you, but you need to make sure you're out of the "BotW mindset", i.e. understand that it's a very different game. I've read that a lot of people who finished BotW first were disappointed with HZD because of the limited vertical movement and linear story missions. Those people loved the new Zelda, though. Mabe it's a different thing for someone who is quite critical of BotW.

(voice acting is shoddy at times, too. Combined with some weird facial animations it can be a bit odd. It's definitely not as bad as in Zelda.)

Haha! I'm already experiencing that issue with Ghost Recon. I keep trying to climb mountains. :D I will say that I did love the verticality of BOTW.

Haha! I'm already experiencing that issue with Ghost Recon. I keep trying to climb mountains. :D

:D Same here. I fucked up my approach/escape a couple of times just because I thought I could climb certain rocks :laughing:

I will say that I did love the verticality of BOTW.

For me, verticality is what BotW does best (if you ignore the stamina limitations) and I hope that other devs take notice. :)

Not surprised about Zelda as it's a sandbox open world where you mess around a lot. You experiment with the freedom you have. It's a huge game. Horizon is highly combat/hunt focused. Hunter rpg in a sense. You experiment with hunting with the robots.

When can we discuss the story or is it too early?

Edited by Choze

When can we discuss the story or is it too early?

You can discuss the story now, just as long as the details are in spoiler tags.

@Choze are you allergic to spoiler tags or something?

I think I've got to the final mission. Going to do it tonight. Can't wait.

Finished and platinumed! Incredible game, was dragging my heels finishing it as I didn't really want it to end. Loved the story, combat and the world they created.

I don't usually buy single player DLC but if they gave us new machines to fight I probably wouldn't be able to resist!

Finished and platinumed! Incredible game, was dragging my heels finishing it as I didn't really want it to end. Loved the story, combat and the world they created.

I don't usually buy single player DLC but if they gave us new machines to fight I probably wouldn't be able to resist!

I'm looking forward to starting this later this year! :D

Haha, what a post - glad you're enjoying it!

I think I'm the only one in the this thread not to be having a similar experience. The praise in here seems more consistent than Zelda's getting over in the Nintendo boards!

My experience so far has been fairly the opposite of that. However amazing the graphics engine is, something about the land seems quite unreal, unconvincing, and unimaginative to me, like there's nothing distinctive or new about the art direction. I've also found all the characterisation to be pretty portentously humorless and lacking in character more generally. I'm not latching on to any of the tribal politics, the side quests all seem mundane, and most of all I find Alloy's character to be disappointingly, tediously bland..

I think it must be a taste thing because I can see how objectively well made this game is; and the combat is so tight and fun, crafting is super well balanced and the game is amazingly fluid throughout. I'm still sinking in the hours so it's definitely doing something right! (Also photo mode is fantastic). But all said I don't think the game will leave much of a lasting impression on me when I'm done ::shrug:

Have you guys felt any of this at all or have you been enjoying the whole experience?

and I didn't even compare it to Witcher 3 once! Oop..

Greetings, dan-likes-trees. I enjoy the expression of souls, so I care if you share your opinion so that I can try to understand your feelings more. :')

You don't particularly admire the art style of HZD, yet you acknowledge the fascinating level of the visual graphics. But do you think you could explain exactly mate on why you feel that the world feels unreal, unconvincing and unimaginative?

If I magnify on the 'unimaginativity' (in your opinion) aspect of the visuals, are you relating that to the style of the art alone, or other aspects aswell?

Have you payed Zelda: Breath of The Wild by any chance? Or have you at least seen in-depth gameplay of it? Does that world appear real, convincing and imaginative in terms of the level of the visual graphics and the level of creativity and excitement in the spontaniety of the openworld and the usefulness and sheer joy of the sidequests (and other random activities/events that can be done), not just doing tasks X, Y and Z just for arrows, food/health and rupees (which are not worthless items)?

With regards to the characters, in your view, having the charisma of wilted taraxacums, does that seem quite trivial when recognizing that the physical attention to detail with the character designs aswell as unique persona animations (walking, running, gesturing, posture -- those kinda stuff) are done how you'd expect in this era of grand gaming, rather than the character models taking the identity of electromagnetic NPC's being attracted to their destinative poles?

Now as for actual gameplay, which is the main point of importance when playing a game haha no brainer, you applauded that the combat is tight & fun (which should be the fulfilling standard in a combat-based game, like how actual funny jokes should be the fulfilling standard in a comedy movie). And you praised the crafting aspect to be "super well balanced", which is ideal for RPG-like games and openworld-like games (of course full-on RPG's and openworld games too).

So it's definitely your own perception that negotiated with your taste for HZD, but I still need your exact explanations on the parts that you mentioned that you dislike so that I can try to get a sense of perspective on this case.

Hahaha come on Dan dont be like that, I'm not after anybody. I just want to understand your opinion clearer. I admit I saw someone mention you in relation to your critique on HZD, and in all honesty I forgot but remembered as I stumbled across your post whilst seeing some news discussed among y'all for games on Sony and Microsoft consoles.

Uhhh Sorry, that's my fault.

It was in the let's talk about this place thread. It was just that in here we had a good example of how differing opinions in this thread are accepted and lend to conversations rather than vehement defenses.

Soooo...I wasn't as close to the end as I thought. Got a few more things to do. I did however get the Power Armour thing...which is making everything a bit of a breeze (which I'm enjoying).

Like Daft, I have not intentions to be a joyabsorber, and I promise this is just a one-off ok, but like what was the cause of your spirit charging up that bursting need to broadcast that post? Haha I dunno, just blooming well DO those few final things, no need to be ceremonious in song and dance about it. Dang, mang!

Really I'm glad you're enjoying it though!!

Bro dat's da fing, I desire to be all of you sons o' switches enemies, but I'm banking on Nintendo to inspire me to throw my money at them so I can get my bishop online to bash you all awol. Being forbid from my birthright of online kingship makes me feel as wrathful as Ganon himself whilst sealed away within the abyss of the endless, bending and mutating time that be the Sacred Realm.

Completed it. So much to talk about. The story, what happened, where it's going. What they could add.

One thing I'll say before going into spoiler territory is, it's been a very long time since I played an endgame that was this smooth and enjoyable. There was no dumb Uncharted 2-like end boss. There were no random quicktime events (*cough* Uncharted 4 *cough*). In fact, from the beginning to the end, the game didn't dip in quality at all for me. It just kept building; everything I learned and everything I did just filled out this bloody wonderful tapestry.

In terms of gameplay and narrative it's one of the most laser focused games I've played – it might not do anything revolutionary but what it does do, without hesitation, it does better than everything else. I really didn't think Guerilla Games had it in them. Sony have owned this studio for 12 years now and it has finally paid dividends, this is a game worth of Naughty Dog.

Now onto spoilers...

I really enjoyed the bit where Aloy finds Elisabeth's body. It were tied up the scene earlier where she sacrifices herself and hints that she's going to go home.

LOL about the Uncharted 2 comparison, because that fight with Helis with the neon exploding blaze is just like that. But not painful, thankfully.

Does anyone know if the side quests you do feed into who turns up at the end? I almost missed the mission with the lady with that massive gun but I can't imagine it happening without that bit. Maybe it's made a required mission before unlocking the final one since I had to help Erend, too.

Where did the signal come from? Where are the other AIs? What is Sylens really after? Is Tim Faro still alive? Did the Odyssey really get destroyed?!

I suspect we haven't heard the last of the Odyssey. It had an early version of Apollo on it. So while Faro destroyed the final version on earth, I think that would be a nice thread to bring back in. Maybe it crash landed and is intact somewhere on Earth? Sylens hungers for knowledge and it wouldn't surprise me to see him become the antagonist of a sequel. Maybe the Odyssey wasn't destroy but was severely damaged (I think the report mentions an explosion, not necessarily that it was blown up); maybe it got to Mars or somewhere close by and managed to colonise a closer planet. Then there could be a possibility of two sets of humanity diverging for almost 1000 years coming back into contact with one another?!

I dunno.

What did everyone else think?

Edited by Daft

I'm going to have to sell some games so I can buy this sooner than I would've otherwise :D

I set a Sawtooth on a bandit camp. Was fun watching the bandits fight it, and all got annihilated

in the process. Took out another camp in full stealth mode too, and bought a new bow which supports 3 arrow types to fire from it.

Loving the environmental stuff in-game.

I'm going to have to sell some games so I can buy this sooner than I would've otherwise :D

We used Flubit to get it for £38.06 (maybe you'll be lucky and get it even cheaper), order will be fulfilled by Gameseek.

Simplygames also seem to sell it for £39.85.