NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Encountered two new beasts today. Combat is so intense. When it's an all out fight you only have time to breathe occasionally for a split second...

@Choze could you post gifs in spoiler tags in the future? Would love to experience new beasts while playing.

Ah cool. Thought you'd seen the Thunderjaw in trailers.

Ah cool. Thought you'd seen the Thunderjaw in trailers.

Nah, only seen a trailer during E3 two years ago and forgot almost all of it so the game is basically new to me :D

Just fought a Corruptor for the main quest. Can't get over how beautiful this game looks and how unbelievably smooth it is. I am in awe.

The fight was very fun. You really can't go all out with melee. I learned that the hard way :laughing:@Daft I took your advice and bought the Ropecaster as soon as I had the materials for it. Came in very handy during that fight.

I think the game will open up really soon and it's pretty exciting :)

The story is also very intriguing.

Edit: Damn that photo mode...:D

nYlhlvv.jpg

UIGNiJa.jpg

XrLsBZq.jpg

XpFY5a3.jpg

7VWakYE.jpg

As @Fierce_LiNk would say: HNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG. The fourth picture is now my background on the PS4 menu : peace:

Edit²: 5 1/2 hours in and I love it. Upgraded my resource satchel to the max, did a few sidequests, enjoyed the scenery, hunted some animals...so much to do :) No way I'll start the journey to Meridian anytime soon.

Think this will be my next game. Hnnnnnnnng. It just looks too good.

As awesome the machines and fighting them are, human enemies are fucking stupid :laughing: Wish they'd be much smarter. Would make clearing out a camp a lot more fun.

Doesn't take too much away from the whole experience, though. Just a minor niggle. Something to adress in the sequel (which I already cannot wait for...after only 10 hours).

If BotW and HZD had a baby...I think that would define gaming for years. BotW's vertical traversal and approach to teaching a player about mechanics plus HZD's engine, combat and story. Build a world with those things in mind and boom. Best game ever :D

Edited by drahkon

I spent most of yesterday evening getting machines to fight each other.

It's so much fun.

I did an Override on a Snapmaw and all hell broke loose. As it was taking on another Snapmaw a second one turned up and started firing from a distance and then across the water a Watcher noticed shit going down...by which point I'd noped-out to a distance away to watch and cackle manically.

Then I got one of those Sawtooth motherfuckers to take on a couple of those Big Bird mother fuckers.

The dynamic HUD is pretty neat but I gave the custom settings a go and am currently going with this:

wmiJKIX.jpg

Which results in the following most of the time:

Oz5JBWF.jpg

When you lightly tap the touch pad the complete HUD shows for a few seconds. It's pretty awesome not having the HUD pop up every few seconds :)

This is an option every open world game should have.

I'm just making my way out of the Sacred lands into the open world. What can i say, this game is amazing. Just learned the ability from that machine that attacks the Mother Heart camp that allows control of other beasts, so hopefully that comes into use. Been a bit pre-occupied doing side missions in the area and exploring to get upgrades on all my bags. Did claim my free DLC from Shopto, giving me a better bow. And i bought all the available equipment, including the one that lets you tie a creature with rope.

I've not bought a slingshot yet. Is it worth it?

Probably is for the larger enemies, for now it's pretty useless against the small ones. The Ropecaster is interesting, but according to some people it's useless on harder difficulties.

Also

You can get an unlimited fast travel pack from merchants, for the cost of fox skin and raw meat

I've almost finish exploring the first third of the world. When I'm done with that and completed the side quests I'll begin my journey to Meridian : peace:

Found a 41% Damage Coil...pretty awesome. :D

I have to use about 5 ropes (probably more actually) with the ropecaster to topple anything big.

Just bought some of the Shadow weapons and an armor that increases Stealth.

My journey to Meridian begins.

Think I am near the end of the story parts. Need to maybe do some cauldrons and tallnecks. I keep getting side tracked. Some of the side quests are excellent. Got some great bonuses and story elements.

Just bought some of the Shadow weapons and an armor that increases Stealth.

My journey to Meridian begins.

Enjoy. :grin:

I can't stop playing this game. I am just lucky the girlfriend loves to watch the story and events unfold.

Fought my first Thunderjaw...didn't have time to set up traps because I actually just stumbled upon it as unbelievable as it sounds considering its size :D

7 potions and a shit load of ammo later the beast went down...holy fuck, that was amazing.

Fought my first Thunderjaw...didn't have time to set up traps because I actually just stumbled upon it as unbelievable as it sounds considering its size :D

7 potions and a shit load of ammo later the beast went down...holy fuck, that was amazing.

giphy.gif

Reached Meridian before work this morning. I basically just ran there because I wanted to see it, I figured that exploring could wait :D

Didn't expect such a huge city. Oh man, can't wait to get back home and explore the surrounding areas.

Edit: As incredible as this game is I think I'm a little burnt out on open world games after what now amounts to 53 hours of BotW + Horizon in 7 days.

I'll tone down the time with Horizon and find a smaller game.

Edited by drahkon

Glad to see you guys are enjoying it too! I've been off work sick for the past week and have put in 25 hours so far. Combat is literally exhilarating , the best part of the game for sure. Love all the different machines you come across, really forces you to mix it up and use different strategies depending on what you're fighting.

If I was perfectly honest, I didn't expect GG to come up with the goods on this game but they really have pulled it off. Bravo!

Played God of War III Remastered a little today and I'm not as burnt out on open world games as I was. Think I found my game for inbetween Horizon sessions.

Uncovered more about the past. The story is really ineresting and very well written. For every question you get a (partial) answer many more arise. I like that.

I like the story. Am near the end. But keep getting side tracked. There are brilliant characters in the side missions. Still discovering new towns and quest hubs. It's crazy how good everything looks.

Technically you know what has happened its just that the game does a great job of the in-betweens and how. The revelations are fun. Its great they didnt pull a JJ or stuff most games pull of with twists etc.

Chose not to go outside the Sacred grounds just yet, so have been scavenging for parts to upgrade all my bags

Can't stop playing...the story is too engaging and the sidequests are too good. Encountered all Machines but two and that last one I fought against...

vH11H4n.jpg

YDTl0Sb.jpg

zryNgNI.jpg

And some random screenshots:

bjNRAOD.jpg

jJRwNZJ.jpg

F9B3lKK.jpg

eYQOIeN.jpg

The beauty of this game...

Where did you UK folks order from? @Eenuh is going away to Belgium next week and I'm tempted to get this to play whilst she is away.

After 31 hours it's done. Horizon Zero Dawn is completed and the Platinum is mine : peace:

A wonderful, beautiful, magical and coherent game.

Aside form the horrible human AI and combat against humans I can't really find any flaws...

The story is intriguing, the characters are great, fighting machines is such a joy and incredibly tense (at least on very hard difficulty; no idea if it's the same on a lower setting) and the world is is simply beautiful.

I'm sad that it's over...