NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Like everyone else I was expecting this. I also expect Dreams to take a while to come out - not even sure if that has an estimated release date.

'Meant' being the key word, yes.

Honestly people will be pissed given it was given a 2016 date, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't slip. It's very unlikely there'd been any real work done on the game up until a few months before last E3.

They say they don't want to reveal too much of the world, and I'd be happy if that were true... but I'd also fully accept and understand if that's a lie and the area we've seen is all they have (of course, more like ICO, maybe the whole game does take place in one [albeit massive this time] area).

We've waited long enough, you kind of think, don't rush it out now.

Oh yeah, I'm of the mind that game delays aren't a big deal. Better to not rush it out.

This has the most generically boring title of a game, I've ever seen.

I don't know, 'The Division' takes the cake for me. At least this has three utterly generic words mixed together.

They could have called it Dawn Zero: Horizon and it wouldn't make just as much sense.

Yeah, total jargon. But at least it doesn't make sense. The Division...is...just that.

Literally posted this in the '2016 games you're looking forward to' thread, with the caveat that I didn't think it would actually come out. lo and behold..

What annoys me is how completely expected it was by everyone. Why even bother to pretend it was ever going to come out this year when noone ever thought it would anyway?

Last Guardian, by contrast, I actually thought might. Still got my fingers crossed for a Fallout 4-esque proper showing at E3 and a release later this year..

Ahh, fuck. Was hoping this would arrive in the final few months of this year.

This has the most generically boring title of a game, I've ever seen.

One of Bloodborne, Battleborn, Battlefield, Battlefront take that title for me. Or maybe Call of Duty, Gears of War, Clash of Clans, Killzone etc...

Horizon: Zero Dawn makes no sense, but at least it has a touch of imagination.

One of Bloodborne, Battleborn, Battlefield, Battlefront take that title for me. Or maybe Call of Duty, Gears of War, Clash of Clans, Killzone etc...

Horizon: Zero Dawn makes no sense, but at least it has a touch of imagination.

Bloodborne = Born of the Blood. Fits in with the lore of the game. Verdict: Great name.

Battleborn: Don't know anything about it. Can't comment.

Battlefield = general name for a zone where war takes place. Game series started with Battlefield 1942 in 2002. Continuation of the series and generally a fitting name. Verdict: Suitable name that makes sense.

Star Wars Battlefront = Similar to the recognised term for Battlefield. A place where opposing forces meet. Seems fitting. Also a continuation of the series dated back to 2004. Verdict: Suitable name that makes sense.

Horizon: Zero Dawn does not make any sense compared to any of these. Or at least, nothing really tangible. I could guess that Dawn maybe fits with dawn of Man or the dawn of the "creatures" seen within the game. Horizon and zero are just generic words. H: ZD is much more generic, as has already been pointed out. None of these words instantly fit in with the game or the lore/mechanics behind it. At least, not that we know at the moment. I recognise that this might change later when we know more about the game.

Of the lot, Bloodborne is the best name of the bunch. Perfectly fitting. If you played the game, you'd know that.

Bloodborne = Born of the Blood. Fits in with the lore of the game. Verdict: Great name.

Battlefield = general name for a zone where war takes place. Game series started with Battlefield 1942 in 2002. Continuation of the series and generally a fitting name. Verdict: Suitable name that makes sense.

Star Wars Battlefront = Similar to the recognised term for Battlefield. A place where opposing forces meet. Seems fitting. Also a continuation of the series dated back to 2004. Verdict: Suitable name that makes sense.

Horizon: Zero Dawn does not make any sense compared to any of these. Or at least, nothing really tangible. I could guess that Dawn maybe fits with dawn of Man or the dawn of the "creatures" seen within the game. Horizon and zero are just generic words. H: ZD is much more generic, as has already been pointed out. None of these words instantly fit in with the game or the lore/mechanics behind it. At least, not that we know at the moment. I recognise that this might change later when we know more about the game.

Of the lot, Bloodborne is the best name of the bunch. Perfectly fitting. If you played the game, you'd know that.

I haven't played the game, but technically blood borne would be carried aloft or transported by blood. Unless they meant born and thought it looked cooler with an extra 'e'.

I haven't played the game, but technically blood borne would be carried aloft or transported by blood. Unless they meant born and thought it looked cooler with an extra 'e'.

That still fits with the games lore/story.

Either way would work, in fact. I always thought they just added the "e" to look cool or to go for a possibly older way of writing "born". You learn something new every day. :D

Why so combative? Why are people so defensive all of a sudden?

I never suggested the above four didn't make sense, just that they were generic, which they are.

When I said generic, I meant the opposite of specific. Those titles are very specific in the game they describe.

Horizon: Zero Dawn could pretty much be a game about anything. And the order of the words seems to make no difference!

That's all I meant by it.

I never suggested the above four didn't make sense, just that they were generic, which they are.

I'm not being combative at all. You posted something, I disagreed with it/attempted to give my view on it. That's all there is to it. I didn't slag you off over it at all. It's a discussion forum, so I discussed.

The rumoured name for the new COD is so bad... Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare... which just immediately feels like it's been the title of every COD game before it somehow :p

Maybe it's the uncanny similarity to Infinity Ward... so hopefully it's a placeholder.

The rumoured name for the new COD is so bad... Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare... which just immediately feels like it's been the title of every COD game before it somehow :p

Maybe it's the uncanny similarity to Infinity Ward... so hopefully it's a placeholder.

Infinite Warfare just makes me laugh. I can just imagine a battle-hardened soldier from the future looking into the camera whilst smoking a cigar grunting, "War never ends!"

I'd be ok with it if they've teamed up with Marvel to create an Infinity War game, where you play as Iron Man in FP.

Edited by Retro_Link

I'm not being combative at all.

"If you played the game, you'd know that." sounded combative to me, that's all. Bloodborne has the benefit of you knowing the lore of the game, Horizon doesn't yet. Anyway, my post was more of a chuckle at the 'pick two words out of a bag and throw them together' nature of a lot of game titles these days.

So bad, but then again it's very apt given the endless iterative sequels the franchise gets every year.

As mentioned, the story is about a bloodborne disease. And hunters born to crave blood. And blood is everywhere.

Literally one of the most fitting names you can imagine, and pretty cool too.

Literally nothing combative in his post, but you came across as a bit ignorant on the subject matter IMO. In the case of the other titles they sound like edgy buzzwords that don't really go together, but bloodborne is an actual single word and describes the lore/game content very well.

Edited by Sheikah

Literally nothing combative in his post, but you came across as a bit ignorant on the subject matter IMO.

Ignorant on the subject matter? Dr. bob made reference to generic and boring titles. I posted my OPINION that Bloodborne, Battleborn, Battlefield and Battlefront fit that bill. There's no subject matter to be ignorant on. In my view, those are boring, generic titles, the latter three especially.