NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Final Fantasy VII Remake

On 9/4/2020 at 4:24 PM, drahkon said:

Lots of side quests and activities to do.

I think I've done them all so it's time to move on with the story. Guess it'll be the final stretch as there's a "point of no return warning" :D

Depending on how long the last few chapters take I might actually finish the game today. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drahkon said:

Depending on how long the last few chapters take I might actually finish the game today.

Well, I didn't :D I actually didn't make a lot of progress, I think.

I'm still debating whether I should go for the Platinum. I love the game, I really do, but I don't think I could play it again on hard difficulty (and replay certain chapters to collect all the stuff needed for trophies). At least not right away. But I'll have to give the disc back to my sister's boyfriend in a week, so...

Reached Chapter 17.

Chapters 15 and 16 were really good.

Spoiler

Red XIII looks so cool :D And his voice is perfect. Great cast :peace:

Looks like I'm close to the end of the Midgar story. Wonder how much playtime I've left.

• Like 1

Credits have rolled.

What a game. WHAT. A. GAME.

WHAT. A. GAME

Ehem...I'm cool, I'm cool.

What a spectacular journey. The perfect mix of old and new.

Spoiler

It was quite clear to me that the game will "ignite" a new timeline as soon as the Whispers first appeared. And I thought: "No way...there's no way they're changing things up like that".

But they did and it is awesome. Now the writers have some sort of liberty to create something new. Really hope they don't screw it up.

Halfway through the game I decided that I wanted to play Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. This remake reinforced that desire.
Time to get out the best handheld ever made again. The PSVita will be the place to go for my next game :D

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

Reached level 50 with all characters and have just started my Hard difficulty playthrough.

Completed Chapter 1. Holy hell...Hard difficulty does not fuck around. :D

Got through without dying, but the boss fight was challenging.

• Like 1

Alrighty, Chapters 2 - 4 have been completed.

Nothing too difficult. Haven't had to actually go for the enemies' weaknesses, yet. Pretty sure I know when this'll change, though :D
Kinda interesting to see how little fighting there actually is compared to exploration and story progression. Skipping all the cutscenes cuts out a considerable chunk of the game.

Edited by drahkon

Slowly but surely getting closer to the first fight that will, by my estimation, be the first real hurdle in Hard Mode. So far, it's been really easy.

I'm already dreading some of the future boss fights because of a stupid Hard Mode limitation: You can't use items and rest points don't regenerate MP.
But: For some bosses you have to rely on Magic and Magic consumes MP. This will make some fights difficult for the wrong reasons.

Anyways, after I'm done with Chapter 9 (hopefully without a lot of problems, but as I said: I'm approaching the first tough battle) I'll probably try to beat one of the optional bosses in a later chapter in order to get an insanely strong accessory.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

More spam :p

Chapter 9 Hard Mode done!
Not as difficult as I expected, to be honest. The boss fight was still a battle of attrition. Almost ran out of MP so I got an indication of where future fights are headed.

Now it's time for that accessory. Problem is: I missed a few prerequisites to actually unlock the battle that gives you the item provided you are victorious. One of those prerequisites: A battle in Chapter 9. :laughing:  I missed the chance twice so I gotta do it all over again. Well, I had to do it anyway in order to get another bridal dress. Speaking of which: I now have 6/9. Think I'll just switch to Easy Mode for a while, get the remaining dresses and unlock the ultimate battle. After that I'll get back to Hard Mode and try to acquire the accessory.

Halfway through Hard Mode, only a few more trophies to clean up and then "just" finish the remaining chapters on the highest difficulty. Not long now :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drahkon said:

only a few more trophies to clean up

Some of the trophies are really annoying.

While the game design (i.e. the story being split into several chapters) is fine for your first playthrough, it really sucks for getting the trophies. E.g.: I had to play Chapter 9 three more times to get all of the dresses and sidequest related trophies available there.
Well...thankfully I'm done with those :D

What's left:

1. The remaining three battles in the Shinra Combat Simulator (those Hard Mode fights are tough). These include the optional ultimate boss and apparently the most difficult fight in the game.
  2. Finish the remaining chapters on Hard Mode.

• Like 1

Mymy, the optional battles are no joke. Only have the final one left, but haven't given it a go, yet.
Just completed the two before that. Took me a while to figure out which Materia set-up works best for me. Once I found out, it wasn't too bad. The fights really went from the more action-y approach of the early game/normal difficulty to a much more tactical challenge. Switching characters, positioning, choosing which spell/ability is worth the ATB cost, keeping an eye out on HP, MP, enemy attacks, etc...it is challenging :D

So...one more round in the Shinra Combat Simulator left. 5 battles, one of which is supposedly the most difficult fight in the game. Well, time to figure out which Materia to use. :peace:

6 hours ago, drahkon said:

one more round in the Shinra Combat Simulator left. 5 battles, one of which is supposedly the most difficult fight in the game.

I did it :D
I'll put the fight, my tactics and the reward in a spoiler tag:

Spoiler

That final Shinra Combat Simulation. 5 rounds. Hard Mode. Here we go.

1. Shiva - pretty easy. Doesn't hit that hard.
  2. Fat Chocobo - even easier. Keep an eye on your health (my go-to: Magnify + Cure/Regen) and you're golden.
  3. Leviathan - urgh...what an annoying fight. The monsters moves around a lot and eventually pretty much just keeps flying. Hard to hit, but not a very difficult fight...just tedious.
  4. Bahamut - so there it is...the most difficult fight in the game, according to many trophy hunters. Gotta say: Wasn't that tough. Manawall, Magnify + Cure/Regen and Elemental + Fire on armour. The latter is especially useful because Ifrit joins the fight halfway through the battle. Pretty nifty to be able to absorb its attacks with two characters. The only real tough part about this battle is Bahamut's Megaflare. It instantly kills your party. Some weapons, however, have a nifty ability: Save your character from death once per battle. With the right set-up, the fight isn't too bad.
  5. Pride and Joy - much easier than the previous battle. Only has one annoying attack that can kill one of your characters in one-hit, but it's easy to revive and heal up.

So...what did I get?

Götterdämmerung - an accessory:
Enter a battle with a full limit break gauge. The limit break gauge gradually fills during battle.

Should do wonders with Cloud. :D

My journey to the Platinum is almost done. 9 chapters left. :peace:

• Like 2

There it is:

a8lW4nV.jpg

It popped exactly at midnight :D

And I didn't even know that this would be my...

5GvldgM.jpg

...77th Platinum. As I mentioned before: Some trophies were straight up annoying to get. But it was worth it. This game deserved my time and I just had to get all the meaningless, digital cups.
Hard Mode was intense at times. I died three times overall. Not once during what's supposed to be the most difficult battle. But I did die during the final fight.

Oh boy...

Final Fantasy VII Remake

I'll say it again: A spectacular re-imagining of a classic that revolutionized JRPGs.
Quite literally every single aspect of this remake captures the original and builds upon it to create something that is both new and old. A perfect mix of nostalgia and fresh experiences.

For me, two moments - or rather fights stood out. (obviously spoilers ahead).

Spoiler

Jenova Dreamweaver

Didn't expect something like that to show up. Lots of things going on but what elevates this fight is the music. This track is the prime example of what I mean when I say the remake captures the original and builds upon it.
J-E-N-O-V-A Quickening. The build up to the final two minutes is masterful and then it hits you...

That melody...first time I fought this battle I got goosebumps. Something I rarely experience in video games. It was the same feeling I got when I played through Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots and reached that part.
I obviously had to fight Jenova Dreamweaver again on Hard Difficulty and nothing changed...goosebumps all over.

Spoiler

Of course...the final battle...and again it's the song that defines it. It plays with your memories and adds new elements that make this fight so grand.

Sephiroth himself is portrayed in a way that makes him seem...unreal? He's introduced very early in the remake but it works. He's this entity that doesn't make sense, yet he seems to pull the strings.
What I love about this "version", the "remake version" is his eyes. They stare right through Cloud. They stare through everything. He knows something grave. He seems supernatural. Is he real? Is he a true reincarnation?

The final scenes set the stage for an interesting story. I can't wait to see it unfold before my eyes.

• Thanks 1

The London performance of the Distant Worlds FFVII Remake Concert has finally been rescheduled. It's now gonna be at the Royal Albert Hall, 3rd June 2021 and tickets go on sale tomorrow. I'm definitely going this time.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1

Some details on a chapter being cut from the game, where Tifa would have been front and centre: 

Okay Square Enix, now I want two things: a Final Fantasy I - VI Collection, and a Tifa Chapter in Remake Part II :p

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

A second VII Compilation? Or the title for the Remake sequel? Or a new Super Noodle flavor? :p

Interesting stuff. 

• Like 2

So not exactly related to the game, but...I love gaming music, and figured this was worth a share, seeing as it's aimed at replicating what the trailer music for Part II might sound like, and I'm sure some others here will appreciate it: 

Honestly, it got me really hyped just to play through this game again :D

Edited by Julius

Seems like there might be some news related to FFVIIR at Saturday's Orchestra World Tour...

... it's going to be a PC port or PS5 upgrade, isn't it? 

I picked up the PS4 version on sale around Christmas so a PS5 upgrade would be nice.

Ever Crisis now trademarked in the US...

Don't know if we'll necessary hear anything this weekend, but it's looking increasingly likely that we'll hear something soon. Maybe some (Zack?) DLC/spin-off which they sell separately and bundled with a PS5 remaster/the PC version? 

On February 4, 2021 at 9:57 PM, Julius said:

Honestly, it got me really hyped just to play through this game again :D

Just got around to watching this. Epic stuff and a fine example of how powerful video game music can be.

It honestly baffles me that some gamers choose to listen to something else whilst playing a game for the first time. The music in a game helps create personal moments and most games would be lesser experiences without an amazing score sitting side by side with the gameplay. 

11 hours ago, Julius said:

Maybe some (Zack?) DLC/spin-off?

Yes, please! Heck, just bring over Crisis Core. Do it, S-E!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just got around to watching this. Epic stuff and a fine example of how powerful video game music can be.

It honestly baffles me that some gamers choose to listen to something else whilst playing a game for the first time. The music in a game helps create personal moments and most games would be lesser experiences without an amazing score sitting side by side with the gameplay. 

Yeah, totally agree. Many of my favourite moments in games I've played, and my memories of them, are so heavily tied to the soundtrack. Honestly, the more games I play and video game soundtracks I experience, the more I get the impression that video game composers are at the forefront of modern music composition, and have been for some time. The quality, variety, and theory behind it all is just phenomenal, and that's no truer for a series than Final Fantasy (heck, I even listen to the XIV OST sometimes because I know I'll probably never get around to playing that game, and I still get chills). I'm really looking forward to seeing what they bring us in XVI and VII Remake Part II! 

And yeah, I think it's a shame. For me personally, I know that unless I'm playing something where I can zone out for a bit (playing FIFA, driving around an open world, or grinding) and stick a podcast or some music on, I really need to be in the mood to play some games, because there's just so much to engage with: the controller feedback, what's happening on screen, the music, the sound design, etc., and it's all part of the experience.

It's part of the reason why I'm trying to get in the habit of playing some shorter games from time to time actually, because I've noticed that I tend to lean towards games heavier on plot (which normally means a longer game), which requires more of my attention than I might be able to fairly give it at any given time. Plus, it's not like there are a lack of shorter games for me to play :D

Yes, please! Heck, just bring over Crisis Core. Do it, S-E!!

Personally, I'm still waiting to be disappointed by the Final Fantasy I - VI Collection to turn out to just straight up be ports of the mobile versions. Maybe next year for the 35th anniversary if we're lucky :laughing:

I'd love for them to port Crisis Core over though, I definitely want to check it out, just can't justify picking up a PSP for it, and don't want to go through the hassle of getting it on my Vita. 

• Like 1

Yeah, so no updates from the concert regarding a PS5 upgrade/version, PC release, or anything like that. Seems likely now that the next time we'll get an update is on or around the end of the game's year of PlayStation exclusivity on 10th April. 

I was going to wait until I'd finished a few other games, but grabbed this off Amazon yesterday when I saw it going for £24. Seems to be £24.99 at GAME too, not sure if it's a temporary price.

Get Intergraded. 

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE is coming to PlayStation 5 on June 10th 2021 as FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE; a visually enhanced edition of the critically acclaimed and award winning game, featuring a brand new episode featuring Yuffie as the main character, and numerous gameplay additions for players to enjoy.

In the brand new episode featuring Yuffie, play as ninja Yuffie Kisaragi as she infiltrates the shadowy Shinra corporation to steal a powerful Materia and restore glory to her homeland. Play alongside new characters and enjoy an expanded gameplay experience featuring multiple new combat and gameplay additions. This adventure brings new perspective to the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE story that cannot be missed.

Free upgrade for PS4 players to PS5, Yuffie Episode available for purchase separately in that case. 

PS5 enhancements breakdown:

Experience the city of Midgar like never before, with improved textures, lighting and atmospheric fog. Switch between the game modes "Graphics mode" which prioritises 4K high-resolution graphics, and "Performance mode" which prioritises smooth action at 60 frames per second and capture and share your favourite moments of this timeless adventure with a fully customisable Photo Mode. Enjoy immersive battles by using the DualSense PS5 controller with its haptic feedback integration.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1