NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Please gimme a Platinum with the Yuffie Episode :p

Edit: Also: A couple of characters I've never seen before? And here I thought I was set after playing the dreadful Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII.

Edited by drahkon

9 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Please gimme a Platinum with the Yuffie Episode :p

Edit: Also: A couple of characters I've never seen before? And here I thought I was set after playing the dreadful Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII.

I get a feeling they won't, but hey, I mean, I wouldn't ever argue against it :p I really wanted to save my Platinum run of the game for a replay just before Part II as well! There goes that :D

And yeah, makes me curious if we could see these DLC chapters - and maybe even some demo-esque thing - pretty much every year until Part II (which I'm guessing is probably 2023/2024 at the earliest?). Keeps it fresh and us involved I guess? 

Surprised it wasn't any of the other titles we heard of, but just spotted The First Soldier is a mobile game (trailer just went up on the FF channel):

That one stings a little. That title is way too cool and evocative to just be for a battle royale mobile game!

Please don't be story related... 

Edited by Julius

Oh no. Ever Crisis is a mobile game too!

Urghhhhhh, alright, this is more like it :laughing: neat enough idea though, the entire FFVII Compilation (and more?), and definitely more interesting to me than The First Soldier has turned out to be. 

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw this ported to consoles like XV Pocket Edition was, actually. Seems like it could be a decent way to get people caught up? I'd play it (somewhat begrudgingly) if it got ported, depending on how it covers the other Compilation stuff, because I haven't played through any of that myself before. 

Edited by Julius

They made a "remake", then made a demake of the "remake", and announced tonight that they are releasing an update with new chapters to the "remake", all while working on the second part of the "remake". 

...okay. 

But at least there's some good news other than the Yuffie Episode related to the game tonight! The soundtrack is finally coming to every music platform I don't use! 

:blank:

Key art for Yuffie Episode looks phone wallpaper-worthy:

EvG4HSHXcAMSDTs?format=jpg&name=large

And @drahkon, they made a "remake", then made a demake of the game they remade, and announced tonight that they are releasing an update with new chapters to the "remake", all while working on the second part of the "remake". Sounds about right :laughing:

But at least there's some good news other than the Yuffie Episode related to the game tonight! The soundtrack is finally coming to every music platform I don't use! 

:blank:

Edited by Julius

22 hours ago, Julius said:

Oh no. Ever Crisis is a mobile game too!

Urghhhhhh, alright, this is more like it :laughing: neat enough idea though, the entire FFVII Compilation (and more?), and definitely more interesting to me than The First Soldier has turned out to be. 

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw this ported to consoles like XV Pocket Edition was, actually. Seems like it could be a decent way to get people caught up? I'd play it (somewhat begrudgingly) if it got ported, depending on how it covers the other Compilation stuff, because I haven't played through any of that myself before. 

Fucking hell! That actually looks great!

I'd buy that on console for sure!

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Fucking hell! That actually looks great!

I'd buy that on console for sure!

I've been thinking about this a lot since watching the trailer last night, and...SAME! 

I think it's episodic? So I would have to imagine that that's why it's only being announced for mobile at the moment, I fully expect this to get a console version once it's complete, like we saw for XV Pocket Edition! 

And is it me or is it totally evocative of what we saw with the Sinnoh remakes today? Chibi/simplified character models in the overworld based strongly on the original look, yet jumps up to modern standards inside of battles? Found that super strange! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

I've been thinking about this a lot since watching the trailer last night, and...SAME! 

I think it's episodic? So I would have to imagine that that's why it's only being announced for mobile at the moment, I fully expect this to get a console version once it's complete, like we saw for XV Pocket Edition! 

And is it me or is it totally evocative of what we saw with the Sinnoh remakes today? Chibi/simplified character models in the overworld based strongly on the original look, yet jumps up to modern standards inside of battles? Found that super strange! 

Yeah, no kidding! Talk about creepy timing!

Why does the FFVIIR OST on Spotify only use Japanese song titles? :blank:

But man...it's still one of the best OSTs I've ever had the pleasure to listen to.

Edited by drahkon

Started playing this. Don't really have much clue what is going on other I'm some lame merc working for a terrorist cell, murdering police, and all my team is really annoying.

You also can't pet kitties.

The game just made me laugh because some bar girl was gushing over how brave and amazing Cloud is while she was in the middle of punching monsters to death with her bare hands.

The living planet thing I presume is like the Ming-Na Wen film.

• Thanks 1

The living planet thing I presume is like the Ming-Na Wen film.

Mulan?

23 hours ago, bob said:

Mulan?

The Spirits Within. 

Just finished this. The quality is all over the place. First of all, graphically. The main characters look amazing, other character very a lot. The environment looks good at a distance, but all details are fuzzy up close. Every single thing with text one it (poster, sign, etc) just seems as though the actual texture doesn't load and is just showing the "long distance" version. On a similar note, looking at the plates from the slums is great, but looking down and the effect is just terrible. One of the most noticeable "skyboxes" I've seen, parts of it completely stretched all wrong, very blurry and not meshing with the 3D scenery. It looks like one of those obvious oil paintings you would see in something like Star Trek: The Original Series, except filmed at the wrong angle.

As for the game itself, combat was....ok. Not too much to complain about (other than wasting your better powers when fighting bosses if you trigger the a mid-boss cutscene and not actually doing the damage it should). Some sections of the game were entertaining while others felt like endless padding. I'll go through a bit at a time with spoilers

Spoiler

Cloud comes across as a bit of a dick. The members of Avalanche are hugely annoying, I wanted them all to die. A very poor opening, personally. Walking through the city after was interesting, then a strange dream sequence. We all seem to be terrorists, and the game doesn't really explain why particularly well (outside of being pawns in a bigger plot).

Doing side missions in Sector 7 was good fun, found it odd that Tifa was gushing over how amazing Cloud was when she comes across as far more badass.

Following this is a downright atrocious motorbike section, featuring an absolute terrible villain who would probably be seen as dumb and childish even in Power Rangers.

Then loads and loads of padding...with no interesting stuff....for three whole chapters. And incredibly long and boring part of the game, in really dull looking environments (one had the potential, but the view one of the terrible textures I mentioned earlier). This could have been massively reduced without losing anything meaningful whatsoever.

Spoiler

Then comes Aerith, and the story completely changes. She's a very interesting character and Cloud opens up around her and becomes likable for the first time in the story. She kind of reminds me of Jewel Staite (Kaylee from Firefly). Doing the quests in this area was a lot of fun and a very charming experience.

The collapsed highway may have been annoying without the Aerith dialogue, but doesn't quite go on for too long. 

Then the Walled City...a wonderful section, with fun characters. The Honeybee Inn section was fabulously done and is easily the best part of the game. If the game was just fun and amusing adventures of Cloud and Aerith it would have been a brilliant game. These few chapters made me very glad I played it. Only bad part is Johnny. 

Then....a sewer section, almost as bad as the earlier padding, saved by dialogue. The haunted train yard section felt a bit random out of place, not fitting the supposing impending doom at all.

Then a big event happens...Cloud spends lots of time dawdling...all I can think about it "these precious seconds could cost tens of thousands of lives"...then a couple of things happen and all I can think of "thank god they finally stopped talking". A big battle that commits the sin of "you win the gameplay but lose the cutscene". Then in the middle of a bit moment, it randomly cuts to a cat creature wearing a crown, which is just utterly baffling and not explained at all.

Spoiler

Unfortunately you get stuck with Barret. His only redeeming point is that him surviving would make Marlene happy. A bunch of backtracking back and forth, then encountering Wedge (sad part is he only seems to have one kitty), with an annoying detour through something that seemed to have no purpose other than tease the worst part of the game.

A bunch of side quests (and unfortunately more Johnny, although it does result in Tifa's one great line). Another return to the sewer section, then extended by a rat taking something. The climb that follows is kind of spoilt by the awful skybox, now you can see more of it, it looks even worse. Also, I don't understand how we could have moved around the Sector 7 slums so much when you see the damage from above.

Once in the Shinra building, after a very pointless "platforming" (push forward to win) section, I actually enjoyed just walking through the building (I took the stairs, the best dialogue between these three was there), some interesting look at the company and their lies. Secret Avalanche member makes them look quite dumb for not being more suspicious that nobody cares about their presence. 

Then The Drum....incredibly long, incredibly boring, and lots of sections where you had to wait around. I very almost just gave up and watched the end on YouTube. Then a few boss fights, another terrible motorbike sequence and then a few more boss fights. None of this I massively cared about.

Then the game ends and I have absolutely no idea what the purpose of a lot of it was. 

Overall: the mid game was great, but there are a lot of boring parts. I feel like a lot of trimming would have improved the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I take it you never played the original?

Nope, I don't get on with turn-based games. 

I see.
Regarding your last sentence in the "Endgame" spoiler:

A lot is lost to you, because it plays off of the original game.

17 hours ago, Cube said:

The Spirits Within. 

Just finished this. The quality is all over the place. First of all, graphically. The main characters look amazing, other character very a lot. The environment looks good at a distance, but all details are fuzzy up close. Every single thing with text one it (poster, sign, etc) just seems as though the actual texture doesn't load and is just showing the "long distance" version. On a similar note, looking at the plates from the slums is great, but looking down and the effect is just terrible. One of the most noticeable "skyboxes" I've seen, parts of it completely stretched all wrong, very blurry and not meshing with the 3D scenery. It looks like one of those obvious oil paintings you would see in something like Star Trek: The Original Series, except filmed at the wrong angle.

As for the game itself, combat was....ok. Not too much to complain about (other than wasting your better powers when fighting bosses if you trigger the a mid-boss cutscene and not actually doing the damage it should). Some sections of the game were entertaining while others felt like endless padding. I'll go through a bit at a time with spoilers

Early game (Reveal hidden contents)

Cloud comes across as a bit of a dick. The members of Avalanche are hugely annoying, I wanted them all to die. A very poor opening, personally. Walking through the city after was interesting, then a strange dream sequence. We all seem to be terrorists, and the game doesn't really explain why particularly well (outside of being pawns in a bigger plot).

Doing side missions in Sector 7 was good fun, found it odd that Tifa was gushing over how amazing Cloud was when she comes across as far more badass.

Following this is a downright atrocious motorbike section, featuring an absolute terrible villain who would probably be seen as dumb and childish even in Power Rangers.

Then loads and loads of padding...with no interesting stuff....for three whole chapters. And incredibly long and boring part of the game, in really dull looking environments (one had the potential, but the view one of the terrible textures I mentioned earlier). This could have been massively reduced without losing anything meaningful whatsoever.

Mid Game (Reveal hidden contents)

Then comes Aerith, and the story completely changes. She's a very interesting character and Cloud opens up around her and becomes likable for the first time in the story. She kind of reminds me of Jewel Staite (Kaylee from Firefly). Doing the quests in this area was a lot of fun and a very charming experience.

The collapsed highway may have been annoying without the Aerith dialogue, but doesn't quite go on for too long. 

Then the Walled City...a wonderful section, with fun characters. The Honeybee Inn section was fabulously done and is easily the best part of the game. If the game was just fun and amusing adventures of Cloud and Aerith it would have been a brilliant game. These few chapters made me very glad I played it. Only bad part is Johnny. 

Then....a sewer section, almost as bad as the earlier padding, saved by dialogue. The haunted train yard section felt a bit random out of place, not fitting the supposing impending doom at all.

Then a big event happens...Cloud spends lots of time dawdling...all I can think about it "these precious seconds could cost tens of thousands of lives"...then a couple of things happen and all I can think of "thank god they finally stopped talking". A big battle that commits the sin of "you win the gameplay but lose the cutscene". Then in the middle of a bit moment, it randomly cuts to a cat creature wearing a crown, which is just utterly baffling and not explained at all.

Endgame (Reveal hidden contents)

Unfortunately you get stuck with Barret. His only redeeming point is that him surviving would make Marlene happy. A bunch of backtracking back and forth, then encountering Wedge (sad part is he only seems to have one kitty), with an annoying detour through something that seemed to have no purpose other than tease the worst part of the game.

A bunch of side quests (and unfortunately more Johnny, although it does result in Tifa's one great line). Another return to the sewer section, then extended by a rat taking something. The climb that follows is kind of spoilt by the awful skybox, now you can see more of it, it looks even worse. Also, I don't understand how we could have moved around the Sector 7 slums so much when you see the damage from above.

Once in the Shinra building, after a very pointless "platforming" (push forward to win) section, I actually enjoyed just walking through the building (I took the stairs, the best dialogue between these three was there), some interesting look at the company and their lies. Secret Avalanche member makes them look quite dumb for not being more suspicious that nobody cares about their presence. 

Then The Drum....incredibly long, incredibly boring, and lots of sections where you had to wait around. I very almost just gave up and watched the end on YouTube. Then a few boss fights, another terrible motorbike sequence and then a few more boss fights. None of this I massively cared about.

Then the game ends and I have absolutely no idea what the purpose of a lot of it was. 

Overall: the mid game was great, but there are a lot of boring parts. I feel like a lot of trimming would have improved the game.

I enjoyed reading this. :p

I agree with a lot of your points, particularly those shockingly low-res distance shots of Midgar when you were high up (had to double take when I saw that).

I think your fresh perspective of the remake without knowledge of the original is very interesting, and probably gives us a more honest look of the game without relying so heavily on nostalgia. The more time I've had to look back on this first remake the less fond I am of it; I think the actual gameplay in a lot of parts was not great (particularly trudging around Mako reactors), and I'm very concerned that Nomura is taking the story in a ridiculous direction akin to Kingdom Hearts. I don't have faith in him to keep the story grounded; I can't stress how utterly absurd Kingdom Hearts has become and it felt as though he's doing this again with FF7. One of the beautiful things about the original game was how well it it wrapped up and didn't overstay its welcome; something I believe won't at all be the case with the remake series.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FF7R's timed exclusivity ends tomorrow! That doesn't necessarily mean tomorrow we'll be instantly able to play it on every other platform. But the announcement of other platforms might not be so far away now. :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sckewi said:

FF7R's timed exclusivity ends tomorrow! That doesn't necessarily mean tomorrow we'll be instantly able to play it on every other platform. But the announcement of other platforms might not be so far away now. :D

Honestly, I'm really intrigued by what this is going to mean. We know how Square Enix works when it comes to bringing games to Xbox (specifically Game Pass) at this point: wait for a truckload of money to show up, but until then, show no signs of treating both brands equally (which I think is fair to an extent, just considering how much greater the appetite is for their offerings on PlayStation). 

But what makes it more intriguing to me is Intergrade. Yes, the timed exclusivity deal for the original version of the game released last year is coming to an end, but what of the next-gen version, which is the only way to access the Yuffie DLC? Is there going to be a separate timed exclusivity deal for that, as seems to be the case? I don't think we've even seen word on that version coming to PC either (could be mistaken here though). I can't see Xbox being particularly excited to get a lesser version of the game on their platform; with all of the caveats over Intergrade I think they'd be better off waiting until that's ready to come to Xbox, but that doesn't seem to be coming in June. Will it come a few months later to Game Pass, because maybe the PlayStation exclusivity is much shorter (have they offered up a truckload of money already)? Or are Xbox owners going to be waiting another year for the best available version of the game to be playable on their platform of choice?  

It'll be interesting to see what happens I think. 

• Like 1

The Yuffie content will be officially titled Episode INTERmission. That's a very Nomura-sounding title :laughing:

Cast, character renders, and some more gameplay details:

• Like 1

A new trailer for Intergrade was shown during today's stream for The First Soldier.  Would be wary though, feels like the last shot might have been hinting at a bit too much from the Yuffie stuff? Though I guess it could be a little predictable, so maybe not. 

Spoiler

That Fort Condor mini-game! :D

Also didn't realise before how much I needed to see an FF VII take on VI's Magitek Armor, but it looked great! 

Looks like it will be PS5 exclusive for at least six months:

E0yanzFVEAIYvox?format=jpg&name=large

Do feel a bit sorry for Xbox players at this point, but as I've posted before, I thought something like this might be going on where Intergrade would be considered a new version with its own marketing and exclusivity deal.

Got to imagine it might end up on Game Pass when it does make its way over to Xbox on day 1, seeing as most of the sales for the game will have been made by then, and that'll be yet another deal. Square Enix would be cashing in big time three times on this game (PS4 exclusivity window for base version of 1 year, PS5 exclusivity window for Intergrade of 6 months, and potentially Game Pass day 1 when it does go over to Xbox). Crazy!

Also, it seems like we were very close to getting some sort of announcement on Part II today, but I guess this little tidbit will have to do: 

Interesting that Nomura wanted to announce something now. If I'm remembering correctly, I think some of the leaks pre-release for Remake, from the demo, hinted that they'd already started work on some moments in Part II, so I guess it might be further along than we might think?

Think it was smart of Kitase to not give the go-ahead, though, just given their history of long waiting periods between first trailer and release, especially since moving over to Unreal Engine 4 for a number of major releases. Once they brought these games back to show them off, it wasn't too long a wait, so I think they've learned their lesson. 

I thought we'd get them focusing on XVI until release either later this year or early next year, give it a few months, and then potentially see something from Part II next summer. Nomura seems to be itching for it, so maybe there could be a trailer at this E3, or at The Game Awards to finish the year off?

You'd think the smart move would be to hold onto it until after XVI is out, but this is S-E and Nomura, so... :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 3

Bums me out that I probably won’t be playing this at launch. :( 

The trailer was fantastic. They seem to be leaning into the spin-off games a little more. Time to bring him back, S-E! 

genesis-rhapsodos.jpg

Given the events of the first game, it’s not out of the question.

• Like 1