NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Just now, ArtMediocre said:

That's not what I got from previous comments from Square. But I guess you're right, they've never said it was gonna be an exclusive. 

I think that's just S-E PR being PR. After the announce trailer Adam Boyes even said on stage that it was coming first to PlayStation, hence the first post in this topic. :D 

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

hence the first post in this topic. :D

......how could I have been so blind.

Edited by ArtMediocre

Ummmm...demo inbound?!

Pretty sure it was a screenshot on gamstat which all but confirmed Resident Evil 3 Remake was on the way.

In which case...

tumblr_piplj4NUWi1uqouabo1_400.gifv

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Demo looks to be 10.2 GB in size:

hxju45gteu641.png

And you know what the means...

giphy.gif

Reportedly the full game weighs in at 73.7 GB, though I can't for the life of me find the source on that. 

DefensiveTediousDodo-size_restricted.gif

Demo intro has leaked! Got to be coming soon...right? 

Going to spoiler tag my thoughts for now because there are definitely some things included which are better left being experienced without their foreknowledge. Yeah, even watching the demo intro apparently :D

Spoiler

Like the music. HOLY COW. S-E tugging at your heart with the familiar start of Opening/Bombing Mission before the eeriest rendition of One Winged Angel chants imaginable. The fact that the music perfectly transitions from Opening into a nearly high-pitched scream of oncoming terror, when you're expecting the music to ascend into its renowned majesty?! 

Thefearful study of the dark alleyway. The crushing of the flower. The wistfully directionless stare into the skies, a flicker of hope. The camera tracking out, logo coming in, and good lord does the music soar when Opening kicks back in!

Might sound like hyperbole, but I couldn't care less: Perfection

Safe to say I'm going to be watching that a few more times... :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Following on from yesterday's leaked intro, seems like quite an extensive playthrough of the demo has been put out there too; I won't link to that here, but it's simple enough to track down if you're interested in watching it. 

I remember Maximilian Dood and Brad Ellis mentioning that they saw a behind closed doors demo which was longer than the E3 floor demo, and from the sound of things, this demo seems to be the longer, behind closed doors version. 

I'm going to avoid the leaked playthrough, which kind of leads me to an important question I've been pondering: to those interested in the game, will you be checking out the demo if and when it releases?

In my case, I know that this is going to be a day one purchase for me and I have it pre-ordered, so is it really going to be worth me checking out the demo? Originally I was really keen for its release so that I could check it out, but I fear that playing through the demo might ruin some of the excitement, and the consistency of that excitement, when the game launches.

Food for thought ::shrug:

Personally, if your guaranteed to be buying the game, I would skip the demo. Unless the save transfers or something.

Might be too soon to knioe, but would playing the original before this make more sense?

21 minutes ago, Ike said:

Personally, if your guaranteed to be buying the game, I would skip the demo. Unless the save transfers or something.

Might be too soon to knioe, but would playing the original before this make more sense?

Yeah, I think you're right. Might just listen to the soundtrack of the demo instead. Maybe. Thing is, even then, I feel like that might take some of the magic away, at least based on the new compositions we've heard for Remake so far ::shrug: 

And just for clarification before I attempt to answer your question: are you asking if it would make more sense for me to play the original before this, or for you too? Or are you asking just in a general sense? :p

19 minutes ago, Julius said:

And just for clarification before I attempt to answer your question: are you asking if it would make more sense for me to play the original before this, or for you too? Or are you asking just in a general sense? :p

I mean I've never played FFVII, should I start with the remake or the original?

23 minutes ago, Ike said:

I mean I've never played FFVII, should I start with the remake or the original?

I mean, I think that the controls for traversing through the pre-rendered backgrounds are pretty archaic at times, and the jagged character models haven't aged nearly as well as the FFVIII and FFIX models. That being said, the world, characters and battle mechanics still hold up really well, and the soundtrack is absolutely stunning.

I imagine that going in without a frame of reference to the original could lend itself to a unique experience wherein the game's graphics, characters, and soundtrack can blow you away completely. 

However, I think that being connected to the charm of these characters and the world will make FFVIIR much more enjoyable, the reason for that being that it's clear that while the general storyline is going to stay the same, there are going to be some subtle and not-so-subtle differences which can be appreciated in a different way by having the knowledge of what happened previously.

Plus, based on the trailers, and even that intro above, I think that they're planning on handling Sephiroth in a wildly different manner, and while I think that will be interesting to see, I can't help but be concerned that some of that lingering menace and the tension that the original game brought to the table with his character might not be present in Remake. 

Given that the original game is probably 40 hours long or so (without cheats included in the modern ports enabled), I think it'll be tough to get through the entire game prior to March 3rd if there are other games competing for your time. That being said, from what we've been told, Part I is going to take place in Midgar, which only takes up the first 10 hours or so in the original game. I would recommend checking out the original's opening 10 hours or so, up until you leave Midgar, and continuing with it if you like it and have the time to do so; if you don't enjoy it, or find that you simply don't have the time, then at least you'll have a frame of reference for the original, and I think that will make for a much more enjoyable experience. 

* WARNING *

So, apparently the demo has now been fully datamined, which apparently included a sizeable amount from the full game. Menu character art, key scenario rigs for models and apparently even screenshots of Part I's ending are starting to do the round.

What's more, apparently there's even some potential Part II stuff in there. 

Look, it's one thing having bootlegged copies out there which have broken the street date release. It happened with Pokémon X & Y, and it happened with Kingdom Hearts III a month and a half or so prior to its release last January, if memory serves. It sucks when it happens, but it's bound to happen occasionally, given the size of the distribution chain for games guaranteed to sell as well as these. 

But it's another thing ENTIRELY to have a demo -which has yet to even be officially revealed, let alone released!- out there containing so much stuff, and to have it out there two whole months before release?! I doubt that it'll impact sales at all, but it's just such a weird move. It happened before with Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire's demo, and Sun & Moon's, and I remember there being complete versions of the game's text and models of yet-to-be-revealed characters and Pokémon models included. I know that they typically cut out a vertical slice for demos which has code intertwined with the rest of the game, but that's always been risky business. 

And, like with Pokémon, for a game that's guaranteed to sell well, I can't help but find it odd. Maybe it'll get more people onboard, but still, for something this big, it might be worth crafting a separate demo-styled short game, like Ground Zeroes, which serves as a prologue if you really do find it necessary and are trying to hook more people in. 

Of course, this is a remake, so we know what's going to happen, sure. Thing is, I know the core beats of what we're in for from my playthrough of the original game, but not knowing what certain characters look like yet, or how certain scenarios will look, and especially not knowing exactly when and where this game will end is intriguing to me. The structure of this Remake is going to be just as interesting as anything else that has been changed, as the pacing in the storytelling needs to be changed to account for it being released in parts.

Spoiler

For instance, the game could very easily end after we've escaped Midgar, on a bit of a hopeful note as we look out at the world of FFVII, ready to start exploring in Part II. There's a particular tone which I feel this would hit, like the ending to the first installment in a trilogy. Almost exactly like the end of Fellowship of the Ring. 

On the other hand, what if this game ends shortly after we get to Kalm? We enter the town, go into the inn, and then Cloud tells his account of the Nibelheim incident. We get a feel for Sephiroth's unreal power, and then you can end Part I here:

...or here:

...or even where that conversation ends in the original, just with the characters discussing Sephiroth's apparent death in the newspapers, ending with the characters walking downstairs. Completely different and darker tone set up for Part II, and I actually think it could serve as both an epilogue for this game and as a prologue for the next game. 

Just my two pence. 

Hopefully none of the leaks find their way into my YouTube feed. Hopefully. ::shrug: more importantly, I feel bad for the developers. Working on a game for 5+ years only for someone to come along, supposedly decrypt the files of a yet-to-be-revealed demo from the PlayStation Store, and put your hard work out there, some of it potentially in a state which isn't meant to be seen. 

Question now is: do they even bother releasing the demo? I recall Nomura-san being pretty upset over KH3 leaking. The demo is comparatively such a small thing, relative to the game, in terms of drawing in an audience that it wouldn't surprise me if he had a say in whether or not that demo officially sees the light of day. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Kazushige Nojima has commented on the leaks. 

Seeing everything getting leaked after so much work is making my stomach hurt

:(

Fortunately some fans managed to cheer him up.

What a mess. Going to be interesting to see what Nomura and Kitase have to say about this, and of course how S-E reacts. 

Game has been delayed to 10th April. I would say it's a bit weird to delay the game so close to release but they done the same with FFXV as well. 

Resident Evil 3 - 3rd April
Final Fantasy VII - 10th April
Cyberpunk 2077 - 16th April

Yikes.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Not too long of a delay so that's not bad. I wasn't planning on getting either of the other games you listed so that's me set for April anyway.

8 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Hell of a trailer! So many character reveals. :bouncy:

Damn, that's a good trailer. Think they might have shown a little too much in a lot of places, but love the opening and the song :peace: I actually think it's worth steering clear of this trailer if you haven't played the original game and want to go in blind. 

NOW GIVE ME THAT DEMO S-E! 

I want to see how poorly it's going to run on my base PS4... :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

In another weird move by Square Enix, they've released a visual on Twitter which could very easily be the final shot of the game. So potential spoilers for the potential final shot. Potentially.

Spoiler

Personally I hope we go a little beyond this point before the game finishes, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it came to a close there. 

• Like 1

I swear this is going to be the last part of their promotional stuff that I watch.

I get that it's a remake, but man, I hope they cool it with Part II. The song trailer released a little while ago already showed waaaaaaaay too much. 

Spoiler

Watched this now that I'm home, and I think that the leaked opening of the demo (which basically just cuts off the opening two minutes of this opening movie) has a much better flow to it. 

As much as I love the foreboding nature of this slower, deeper toned rendition of One Winged Angel, I'm concerned they're going to lean on that theme too much for my liking. It already feels like I've been beat over the head with it given how it opened, faded out of, and then returned in the opening five minutes, which dulled my previous enjoyment of Aerith's glance down the dark alleyway. Also concerned that Those Chosen By The Planet won't get the love it deserves in this game 

Oh, and that opening with the eagly flying around has shades of Shadow of the Colossus and the opening to Shenmue II, which I'm obviously all about.

But hey, less than two months remain! :D

Edited by Julius

Just played through the demo...

Unbelievable. :o 
It's so good. What a spectacular remake in every way. 

I don't have that nostalgia factor most gamers have since I've only played the original (re-released on PS4) a couple of years ago, but somehow there was still a bit of nostalgia while playing the demo. I had a grin on my face the entire time :D I'll use the word again: spectacular.

The music... :heart: 

Spoiler

I need the OST on Spotify NOW.

Edited by drahkon

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Just played through the demo...

Unbelievable. :o 
It's so good. What a spectacular remake in every way. 

I don't have that nostalgia factor most gamers have since I've only played the original (re-released on PS4) a couple of years ago, but somehow there was still a bit of nostalgia while playing the demo. I had a grin on my face the entire time :D I'll use the word again: spectacular.

The music... :heart: 

Those Who Fight (Hide contents)

I need the OST on Spotify NOW.

My god, that song. 

Absolutely balls-to-the-wall incredible rendition. I really hope this game comes to PC :laughing:

That theme sounds just like it does at Distant Worlds (The Final Fantasy concert). If you get a chance, go see it. I can't find a version of the FF7 Battle Theme from Distant Worlds, so here's One Winged Angel instead: