NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Final Fantasy VII Remake

3 minutes ago, Kav said:

...it’s not turn-based?!!! Fuck yes! :bouncy:

That's not news, dude.

But it does look fun. Hopefully, it doesn't cut out too much stuff from the original version. (The Gold Saucer is so not getting in)

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

That's not news, dude.

But it does look fun. Hopefully, it doesn't cut out too much stuff from the original version. (The Gold Saucer is so not getting in)

Hey, it’s news to me! :cheeky:

3 minutes ago, Kav said:

Hey, it’s news to me! :cheeky:

Yeah, fair enough. Can't argue with that.

I like the characterisation of Barret in this game. He's not constantly throwing censored swears all over the @*!?$%& place, but it's quite faithful to the personality he gave off through the original game. The true test will be the more poignant scenes with Marlene.

Edited by Glen-i

The fact that they still don't know the answer to this question doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. :D 

• Like 1

I don't mind turn-based at all, but so far I've never been a fan of the FF battle systems specifically. I'm unlikely to ever go buy or even just play the original FFVII, but this one? I'm interested.

Still very suspicious about this initial release... They're still not showing anything past the first 2 hours or so of the original game...

If tonight's trailer doesn't show anything beyond this point, I suspect that there won't actually be much beyond that point in this initial release... (they're certainly not getting out of Midgar here)
This quote from an article on Kotaku might help explain that:

“Before we actually started working on this, we knew it was going to be a large amount of content,” Kitase told a group of press. “When we started out planning the plot for the first game, it hit us again... at that point we decided we were going to focus the first game on Midgar and what happens in Midgar. Unfortunately we can’t say anything more about the future games, because we don’t know ourselves.”

So the first game will be a full length game, but focused only on Midgar. Which was probably only 10% of the game, if that. That's probably why all the screenshots seem to be from early in the game - it seems they're going to take their time with the plot so it plays out slower than in the original.

I still expect this game might be delayed, mind.

So at this rate...

We'll get one part of Final Fantasy VII Remake per generation of consoles (if generations are even a thing by then) and then a 16k remaster complete edition by 2040? :p

• Haha 2

In the original, Cloud must acquire a dress, a wig, and other accessories in order to disguise himself as a girl. In quite a convoluted plan, the player must do this to try and rescue Tifa from Don Corneo. However, it sounds like Cloud's visit to the Honey Bee Inn will play out a little differently in the remake.

In the latest issue of Famitsu, translated by Gematsu, director Testuya Nomura says the scene will be in the game, but changed for a modern audience. "The Honey Bee Inn cross-dressing event is still in. We’ve made it more modern. If we made the facility like we did in the original game, the physical unease would be staggering, so that was no good…"

PushSquare

:hmm: So it'll probably be what is considered to be "politically correct" these days, i.e. there won't be any jokes during those scenes because people get offended.

I don’t have any issue with them reworking that scene to make people more comfortable with it at all.

• Like 2

Yup, I agree. If it makes people who are already pretty self-conscious and low confidence feel more comfortable, I'm all for changing it.

Plus "Hurr hurr hurr, man in woman's clothing" was never that funny to begin with.

On 6/12/2019 at 8:15 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

The fact that they still don't know the answer to this question doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. :D 

I'm glad i'm not the only person not entirely sure how to take that, I mean they've only done up to Midgar, thats not even disk one of the first game! and it seems to be implied that is all they have developed so far! 
So if Midgar approx. 50% of Disk one is the first installment, what? are we getting like four installments? 

Episode 1 Midgar

Episode 2? World Map and up to Capital of the Ancients?

Episode 3? Corral Valley to Life Stream?

Episode 4? the rest?

and that's assuming they don't try and incorporate Advent Children or anything into the game! and if each installment takes 5 years? Christ i'd actually prefer them to give up and not bother because thats too long to wait

Although I pretty much lost interest once I found out it was installments, I doubt the other ones will take as long. The assets and mechanics are mostly made now, so there will be far less to make for future installments.

I really don't get why it's in installments though. FF7 was a big game, sure, but it was still only a 1997 PS1 game. There's been much bigger games since then that haven't needed multiple installments.

2 hours ago, Goafer said:

I really don't get why it's in installments though. FF7 was a big game, sure, but it was still only a 1997 PS1 game. There's been much bigger games since then that haven't needed multiple installments.

I've $$$ got £££ no €€€ idea ¥¥¥ either 

:p

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/20/2019 at 10:01 AM, Goafer said:

Plus "Hurr hurr hurr, man in woman's clothing" was never that funny to begin with.

I think it has more to do with the actual mission/event rather than Cloud dressing up like a woman. There are a few things I imagine they are looking to change, such as the sex slave dungeon and the way Don Corneo acts. Because of the way the game looked back then, with the chibi style and blocky characters, there was a certain goofiness to the whole Honey Bee Inn section. With the graphics being more realistic I don't think it's something they can get away with in this version.

On 6/19/2019 at 12:21 PM, drahkon said:

So it'll probably be what is considered to be "politically correct" these days, i.e. there won't be any jokes during those scenes because people get offended.

I'm honestly surprised this game is even getting made. The amount of outrage been seen already for it is flat out ridiculous. There's been an uproar over Barret being too white. An uproar over the way Barrett speaks. A petition to change how Aeris looks. People kicking off because Tifa still has a large chest and doesn't have large, muscular arms....the list goes one. And people wonder why the game is taking so long. :D I'm actually surprised the Tifa design is as faithful as it is. I was sure they were going to bin her original design and give her something more like what she wears in Advent Children.

Speaking of Advent Children, it appears that Nomura has mentioned that elements of the FFVII compilation (Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children) may be incorporated into this game. It's time for his glorious return...

genesis-wing.jpg

Seriously though, I think this is hinting that Zack may get more screen time in this version of the game. I hope that is the case. Dude was a way better character than Cloud ever was and most people didn't get to see this due to Crisis Core being stuck on the PSP. :( 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

"As previously announced, Final Fantasy VII Remake will be released for the PlayStation 4 on March 3rd 2020. We have no plans for other platforms."

To be fair "no plans" doesn't mean "it's not happening" exactly. But that sentence seems quite strongly worded and has brought it back to an "if" rather than a "when" it's going to be released on other platforms.

I was really hoping to buy it on Steam/PC. :(

Source: https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/07/11/final-fantasy-7-remake-xbox-release-date-video-was-an-internal-mistake-by-microsoft

Edited by Sckewi

That music :o Awesome.

Spoiler

final-fantasy-vii-remake-screenshots.ori

Character designs are incredible. 

It really does look good, doesn't it :D 

The music we've heard so far has been phenomenal, can't wait to hear what Uematsu has done with some of my favourite tracks from the game!

Also, looks like we've got the western box art...

bmdKPHF.jpg

...bit weird that it doesn't say 'Part One', but oh well ::shrug: get a feeling that that's something people are going to latch onto and complain about. 

17 minutes ago, Julius said:

The music we've heard so far has been phenomenal, can't wait to hear what Uematsu has done with some of my favourite tracks from the game!

Also, looks like we've got the western box art...

bmdKPHF.jpg

...bit weird that it doesn't say 'Part One', but oh well ::shrug: get a feeling that that's something people are going to latch onto and complain about. 

I completely agree with the complaints regarding the box art.  It's completely misleading, on purpose. S-E knew what they were doing when they made a 1-1 replica of the original boxart with no changes; implying that it's a remake of the full original game.

It's scummy and they rightfully should be called out on it.

You're absolutely bang on with the music though! It sounds utterly phenomenal! Uematsu knows how to make a Final Fantasy really sing and I can't wait to hear the whole soundtrack!

Edited by Dcubed

Not surprising at all, but Nomura-san has confirmed that work is already underway for Part II:

I mean, this might be a little pessimistic, but unless it's a translation error, they don't directly mention programming, so this is surely a nothing statement? Because iy would have to assume that some concept art and pre-production was carried out for a number of mid-to-late game set pieces quite early on ::shrug:  

Anyways, some really interesting tidbits and perspectives from many of the biggest names on the development team on that page, well worth a read.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Julius said:

Not surprising at all, but Nomura-san has confirmed that work is already underway for Part II

Crazy to think that part 1 is only a few months away now. I wonder if they will release a limited edition console for the game? 

• Like 1

On 26/11/2019 at 9:20 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Crazy to think that part 1 is only a few months away now. I wonder if they will release a limited edition console for the game? 

It really is! And I'd have to imagine so...and you just know that it's going to be a Pro. Going to be hard to stave off the urge to give in and upgrade to a Pro (for this game alone, it looks wonderful!), but the PS5 being just around the corner makes it so much easier :D

@Sckewi, I think you're gonna be pretty happy about this bit of news:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be PS4 exclusive for a year. After that, it will be released on other platforms! What platforms they are thinking about have not been announced yet, but there is probably a port for PC and Project Scarlett coming in 2021 :D 

https://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-7-remake-will-debut-first-on-ps4-in-march-leaving-pc-a-possibility/

5 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

@Sckewi, I think you're gonna be pretty happy about this bit of news:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be PS4 exclusive for a year. After that, it will be released on other platforms!

Going to other platforms was always the case. When the game was revealed it was as coming first to PlayStation. It was never an outright exclusive.