NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Resetera has a topic about what a mess the development is in when CC2 were developing the game.

Thread

What a train wreck. I'd be very surprised if this even gets released this gen. While CC2 obviously dropped the ball, S-E are at massive fault for outsourcing their game and then putting Nomura in change who is already too busy with Kingdom Hearts 3. It's like they haven't learnt a thing about their time developing Final Fantasy XV.

Me right now thinking about the FFVII Remake: ::shrug:

I was excited, now I'm indifferent. When (if) it gets released I'll buy it, depending on how it's received by critics. There are a shit ton of other games to be released and to play in the meantime.

This isn’t surprising at all, but S-E need to get ahead of the curb and do something meaningful to turn around their PR fortunes, because it’s very quickly becoming a mess. Talking specifically about their JRPGs:

They’ve been toying with fans about the idea of Remake for far too long; Versus XIII/XV was in development for far too long (yes, I understand they built an engine or two to do so, but it still came out undercooked); and, more recently, Secret of Mana remake/remaster was poorly received, and they somehow messed up porting Chrono Trigger to PC, thinking that the mobile version would do. 

I don’t know where they go from here, but they need to take it a step at a time, and stop promising titles of world-changing proportions way before they’re ready. And they really do need to stop milking consumers for all that they’re worth, when they are the ones making the mistakes. 

I understand that they have a bottom line, but any game which is shown and then in development for a further 5+ years should come with free DLC, not annual season passes.

They don’t seem to have a problem with games of a relatively smaller scale - such as the Dragon Quest series (admittedly they take too long to be localised, but still), the Bravely series and the upcoming Octopath Traveller - when compared to Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts, so maybe they have delusions of grandeur, because they’ve aimed for the stars and failed to reach them several times now. 

On the topic of Final Fantasy VII Remake being in a poor state, Dan Tsukasa, a game designer living and working in Japan, posted some not-so-cryptic details of the game on Reddit. 

Things seem slightly worse than many probably thought.

From the relevant Power Up! article:

Square Enix partnered with CyberConnect 2 for assistance with the action gameplay and video quality. However, in 2017 development shifted back to Square Enix internally and ceased to be a cooperative production.

With a change like this, it’s expected that there will be delays as staff are caught up on the project and work is transferred, but according to one source, the delay was much more significant. 

Tsuka wrote that Square Enix doesn’t “have 4 years of work, [it has] 2.” He explains that Square Enix didn’t take CyberConnect 2’s two years of work on the Remake and continue, rather Square Enix “started it again because cyber connects(sic) work was just so useless and not far enough along.”

Tsuka also claims that CyberConnect 2’s work on Final Fantasy VII Remake was “unusable.”

“When has a company taking work away from another company ever been a positive sign of things? I know CyberConnect’s work was unusable, I’ve worked with them before, i know their level.

And I know they outsourced to hell and back in order to get things to the point we saw them publicly, and it still wasn’t enough to save them.”

When questioned about his knowledge of the Final Fantasy VII Remake development cycle and whether he was simply speculating, Tsuka said: I’m not speculating though. I’ve worked with these people and know people working still at both Square and CC2, I’m explaining what happened from what I know.

Tsukasa’s Reddit, Twitter and ArtStation accounts have seemingly been deleted since these posts were made.

Still related to S-E’s poor management skills - but not to FFVIIR - Super Bunnyhop has uploaded a video, based on the words of multiple sources, about Project W - Eidos Montreal’s Final Fantasy. I’d recommend giving it a watch; it’s quite interesting:

The Dan Tsukasa stuff was what was posted on Thursday. Did you not click on the link, @Julius Caesar? :p 

It's crazy to think how mishandled this whole situation was. There was no immediate rush to announce the game ( unless they were aiming for an anniversary release ) so they really should have had something developed before deciding to show it off to the world.

• Haha 1

I think the main reason they announced so early was because of the massive backlash they got after the previous years announcement that FFVII would be coming to PS4. They needed a make good announcement.

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I think the main reason they announced so early was because of the massive backlash they got after the previous years announcement that FFVII would be coming to PS4. They needed a make good announcement.

"Please be excited!" :D 

That was also an absolute mess of an announcement.

Baffles me that S-E haven't sorted out a way to get Crisis Core over on the PS4. It would be a great way to keep the fans occupied while they try and sort out the mess that is the remake.

35 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The Dan Tsukasa stuff was what was posted on Thursday. Did you not click on the link, @Julius Caesar? :p 

It's crazy to think how mishandled this whole situation was. There was no immediate rush to announce the game ( unless they were aiming for an anniversary release ) so they really should have had something developed before deciding to show it off to the world.

My bad :laughing: got disgruntled after hearing about what they did to Eidos, so I was wearing red tinted glasses :grin:

And yeah, I absolutely agree. They always seem a bit too keen to make money/show off what they haven’t got as opposed to actually getting a game developed. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Sony apparently "won" that E3 with this, Shenmue 3 and Last Guardian. So maybe they think it was all worth it, regardless of the games being years and years away. 

50 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Sony apparently "won" that E3 with this, Shenmue 3 and Last Guardian. So maybe they think it was all worth it, regardless of the games being years and years away. 

Sony did walk away with that year in their pocket. No argument there. They made out like bandits with no real downside. This is all on S-E and their handling of the development. 

Sony didn't ask S-E to make the trailer just in the hopes or creating an impressive E3 for them. I mean the game isn't even exclusive. Fact is, S-E clearly showed them what was being made and pitched the idea. Sony, as would of any of the 3 big hardware makers, would have happily had that trailer at their press conference. S-E once again dropped the ball. 

Okay, now I’m willing to wait patiently. 

I love FFVII’s OST (like I’m sure many of you do) for so many reasons, and this has notched my hype for the game (and my willingness to wait a long time for it) up a few levels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some developers in Japan were asked what they think of the New Year for an upcoming article, and with Kingdom Hearts III finally releasing at the end of the month, it seems like Nomura-san and Kitase-san have finally taken it upon themselves to start teasing us with the possibility of some news coming in 2019. 

Nomura:
Keyword: 7
Thoughts: Various presentations to be released.

Kitase: 
Keyword: Long-awaited!
Thoughts: Development on Final Fantasy 7 Remake is progressing smoothly! I would like to try hard to meet the expectations of fans.

So, I’ll see you all in 2023, then? :p 

• Thanks 1

Wow! It's actually alive!! And they're still advertising it for PS4!?

Honestly shocked! Thought for absolute certain that we wouldn't see it resurface until the PS5 gets unveiled next year!

Still don't expect the first part to hit for another 3-5 years at least though.  The fact that they're still only showing off sections from the first couple of hours from the original game, even after all this time, speaks volumes about how far along this project really is.

Also still not happy with the decision to drop the original RPG combat in favour of action gameplay.  It has never been S-E's forte and I fully expect it to play like Kingdom Hearts, where it basically plays itself... I still can't help but feel that that decision is a huge mistake...

At least the rest of the game looks on point though!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Waking up to this and learning that Chelsea won on penalties last night has put me in a very good mood on this rain-free (I mean, so far...) Friday morning! 

I mean, hell yes! Finally! Glad that they had something to show here, like I speculated they might if the game was going to be at E3, but damn. Love the slight change in art style; Cloud thankfully no longer looks scrawny. I'm really liking that the designs of the bosses and enemies are still in-line with the versions that we saw in the original game, because I was a bit worried that they were going to go with a darker, grittier and more realistic look beforehand. 

r3bbk6ekobx21.jpg

Sephiroth is likely being saved for the E3 trailer, which is a smart move on their part. I've only played the game once, and I remember them saying that there would be content beyond what was in the original game, so would I be right in thinking that Sephiroth's line was at least a new one? I feel like the scene, from what we saw, could fall into a few places in the story, but hopefully this is a hint that we'll get more of the Cloud and Sephiroth rivalry throughout the game. Sephiroth's encounters with Cloud were easily my favourite parts of the original. 

Spoiler

...we're going to get to play as Sephiroth in a game that looks like this. Heck yeah! 

Assuming that the game is still episodic (don't think we've heard anything to the contrary, so there's probably no reason to assume otherwise), I think it makes sense that Episode I could still make it's way to PS4 as a cross-gen release now that we know the PS5 will be backwards compatible. I'm guessing that we'll see November 2020 or thereabouts as a release window for Episode I, based purely on the fact that they're still committing to PS4 at this stage, which gives them plenty of opportunity to market this game, especially during the Tokyo Olympics next summer. 

Super excited. The trailer really got me in the mood to play the original again. 

Edited by Julius

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Still don't expect the first part to hit for another 3-5 years at least though.  The fact that they're still only showing off sections from the first couple of hours from the original game, even after all this time, speaks volumes about how far along this project really is.

Also still not happy with the decision to drop the original RPG combat in favour of action gameplay.  It has never been S-E's forte and I fully expect it to play like Kingdom Hearts, where it basically plays itself... I still can't help but feel that that decision is a huge mistake...

It's more than the first couple of hours. In the trailer they show the boss fight that happens in the sewers, along with another shot of Cloud fighting an enemy in the same area. These battles happen just after the Wall Market shenanigans with Don Coreneo.

The battle system looks more like Crisis Core than Kingdom Hearts. KH is more free flowing whereas the footage here looks like the characters are more static, with players select moves but still being able to move around, just like CC.

I actually thought this was a second remake because it was announced a few years ago and then it was quiet so I just assumed it had been released and passed me by. 

• Haha 1

On 10/05/2019 at 7:08 AM, Julius said:

Waking up to this and learning that Chelsea won on penalties last night has put me in a very good mood on this rain-free (I mean, so far...) Friday morning! 

I mean, hell yes! Finally! Glad that they had something to show here, like I speculated they might if the game was going to be at E3, but damn. Love the slight change in art style; Cloud thankfully no longer looks scrawny. I'm really liking that the designs of the bosses and enemies are still in-line with the versions that we saw in the original game, because I was a bit worried that they were going to go with a darker, grittier and more realistic look beforehand. 

r3bbk6ekobx21.jpg

Sephiroth is likely being saved for the E3 trailer, which is a smart move on their part. I've only played the game once, and I remember them saying that there would be content beyond what was in the original game, so would I be right in thinking that Sephiroth's line was at least a new one? I feel like the scene, from what we saw, could fall into a few places in the story, but hopefully this is a hint that we'll get more of the Cloud and Sephiroth rivalry throughout the game. Sephiroth's encounters with Cloud were easily my favourite parts of the original. 

Speaking of which, I've just realised... (Reveal hidden contents)

...we're going to get to play as Sephiroth in a game that looks like this. Heck yeah! 

Assuming that the game is still episodic (don't think we've heard anything to the contrary, so there's probably no reason to assume otherwise), I think it makes sense that Episode I could still make it's way to PS4 as a cross-gen release now that we know the PS5 will be backwards compatible. I'm guessing that we'll see November 2020 or thereabouts as a release window for Episode I, based purely on the fact that they're still committing to PS4 at this stage, which gives them plenty of opportunity to market this game, especially during the Tokyo Olympics next summer. 

Super excited. The trailer really got me in the mood to play the original again. 

Turns out they were doing the right thing of not spilling everything before release! I knew it wouldn't take them years, especially since it's going to be episodic.

Still very suspicious about this initial release... They're still not showing anything past the first 2 hours or so of the original game...

If tonight's trailer doesn't show anything beyond this point, I suspect that there won't actually be much beyond that point in this initial release... (they're certainly not getting out of Midgar here)

Called it! Part 1 (of two) is Midgar only.

What I didn’t call though was just how good the gameplay looks! Holy cow! The combat looks fantastic! I love the way they’ve integrated the ATB system into the real-time combat!

Honestly? I’m starting to wonder if Platinum Games are involved in the combat system... it looks suspiciously competent for a S-E game... From the core combat, to the use of the environment for gameplay; I find it very hard to believe that S-E were capable of making this by themselves...

So it looks like it’ll be a hugely abbreviated version of the original game; with a vastly reduced scope.  That’s exactly what I was expecting (and really? It was the only way this game could ever be made with the fidelity they’re targeting).  Most of the original content from FF7 will likely not be represented in the final game.

But that doesn’t mean that this game won’t be great on it’s own merits.  I’m enormously impressed by what they showed! It looks like an absolute blast to play! :D