NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Bananagrabber

What magazines do you read?

I used to read pretentious bollocks like EDGE and The Escapist, but then I realised that they were bollocks and stopped.

[EDIT] Forgot GamesTM, which is similarly bollocks, except more bollocks than the rest.

That sounds like pretentious iconoclasm to me.

Making accusations is easy, backing them up is what most people tend to forget.

Aimless, Edge, whatever: I know (and understand why!) you enjoy punctuating game names with italic tags, and using big words and lots of hyphens -- but don't you ever get a bit bored of making yourself sound clever? I do.

If you don't, then that's probably why you read EDGE/Escapist/GamesTM. Somebody once said something, something about talking about something so much that the whole point of the something is lost, and that somebody is probably right. I can stomach EDGE reviews, they're brill, with big words like "autoerotica", but everything else is a pretty tired attempt at gaming academia.

And that's not really the point is it? We've defined 'play' a lot, and we've discussed "are games art?" and we've talked about MMORPGs and that's about it really.

"Autoerotica" is a fun term though, so I'll give you that.

I read (apart form books) ngc, and yes nom (also runs), and The independent, nice mix huh?

I read the occasional Loaded or Nuts/Zoo, but very ocassionally. I also find it funny to read one of those bitchey magazine thats my mum/sister buys - hilarity.

Other than that - I read books.

Haha what books have you read lately?

On Topic: I read Anime Insider, 442, and that be it. I also collect comics. Spiderman and the fantastic 4. If they count.

I'm reading a book called Graffiti 3, by Nigel Rees. It's full of funny scribbles from various locations.

Aimless, Edge, whatever: I know (and understand why!) you enjoy punctuating game names with italic tags, and using big words and lots of hyphens -- but don't you ever get a bit bored of making yourself sound clever? I do.

but isn't this all a rather complex way of making yourself seem clever? i don't mean to sound insulting, but since i've been here you seem to be the user with the biggest attitude of self-importance. i really don't mean to offend you, but there's no need to criticise other people for something you're seemingly guilty of yourself. be nice :)

Erm, it was a lead-in, y'know? And um, if you look, I make the point that I do it too?

Wait, so you post on forums for reasons *other* than trying to make yourself seem clever?

[EDIT] And you're right about the whole self-importance thing. I'm a really fat long-haired spec-wearing nerd in the real world, so I need to make myself feel better, y'know?

I'm afriad your theory doesn't quite cut it. I'm sure that a lot of people do see the way I write as a way of trumping my own self-importance, but that isn't why I do it — although I admit I've given in to such things more than once. No, I write the way I do because I want to improve my ability, and that requires both vigilance and practise.

If you don't, then that's probably why you read EDGE/Escapist/GamesTM. Somebody once said something, something about talking about something so much that the whole point of the something is lost, and that somebody is probably right. I can stomach EDGE reviews, they're brill, with big words like "autoerotica", but everything else is a pretty tired attempt at gaming academia.

As you said, probably. But I'm afraid it's wide of the mark again. I don't take everything that appears in EDGE as gospel, and if I did it wouldn't do a very good job of fulfilling that which I buy it for: entertainment and an articulation of other people's views.

Perhaps you're right, perhaps it is just an attempt at gaming academia, but that doesn't make it bad. I would say that the gaming industry might be too fledgling a medium to be subjected to deep analysis, but if a magazine such as EDGE can gain respect amongst those who create its subject matter, and more importantly encourage developers to aspire to something 'higher', then it is aiding gaming's growth by extending its appeal to other markets.

And that's not really the point is it? We've defined 'play' a lot, and we've discussed "are games art?" and we've talked about MMORPGs and that's about it really.

You have to learn to walk before you can run. Similarily, you must wait for your legs to grow strong enough to endure the heightened pace before you even think about donning your Nikes. But that metaphor is probably too stretched for anyone to even recognise as coherent thought. I'm not even sure if I do.

Anyway, several reams of text later, we're still standing in exactly the same positions as before; I never was one for rhetoric. All I can say is, "I'm not very clever, I'm a C/D-grade student. If I come across as a real ego then I'm sorry, but my sesquipedalian ways are about expanding my vocabulary rather then my own importance. And yes, that last word was a joke."

• Like 1

I thought we were talking about EDGE? Maybe that says something!

Have some positive rep.

• Like 1

Erm, it was a lead-in, y'know? And um, if you look, I make the point that I do it too?

Wait, so you post on forums for reasons *other* than trying to make yourself seem clever?

[EDIT] And you're right about the whole self-importance thing. I'm a really fat long-haired spec-wearing nerd in the real world, so I need to make myself feel better, y'know?

i post here because it's fun, and there are interesting discussions sometimes. sorry, i didn't mean to offend you, but sometimes your attitude isn't very friendly, and a couple of people have said to me they're upset about the way you treat them, so i just wanted to tell you. i have nothing against you, but you can be very offensive at times.

aaaaanyway, back on topic, i read heat magazine, sometimes edge and *embarassment* new scientist, it's actually a lot more interesting than it sounds lol.

aaaaanyway, back on topic, i read *embarassment* heat magazine, sometimes edge and new scientist, it's actually a lot more interesting than it sounds lol.

Corrected!

What's that unravelling sound?

Disclaimer: The contents of this post were prepared in an area that handles jest. May contain traces of joviality.

Damn, i just got out the popcorn expecting a linguistic battle and what do i get. Friendship? Forgiveness? Life sucks *eats popcorn*

A free norewegian game-mag called Gamereactor. Free, but very good.

Why buy when its all on the net.

I read PC Zone (THE best PC mag) and NGC. I used to read Cude, untill I swapped it for PC Zone. Lots of other magazines I used to read at my school's library, but I've left there now. Otherwise I just look on the net...

I first read Crash and then later Mean Machines. You're too old if you remember them.

:lmao: Man, i totally forgot about Mean Machines, my first ever magazine subscription! What simplistic happy days they were.

Sign in to follow this