NEurope
Dcubed

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

So apparently its a timed exclusive for Epic's store and will eventually come to Steam:

https://www.pcgamer.com/shenmue-3-is-a-1-year-epic-exclusive-publisher-looking-into-kickstarter-refunds/?utm_content=buffer04af0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Separate to that, here's a gameplay clip from IGN japan:

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

If it's coming to Steam eventually surely they can work out some sort of deal where they give the PC backers Steam codes when the game launches in November? It's such a dumb restriction just making people use a different launcher, how much extra work is it going to take to let backers access it through Steam instead?

58 minutes ago, killthenet said:

If it's coming to Steam eventually surely they can work out some sort of deal where they give the PC backers Steam codes when the game launches in November? It's such a dumb restriction just making people use a different launcher, how much extra work is it going to take to let backers access it through Steam instead?

Technically? Little I imagine. But this is a money thing I suspect. 

I think I am absolutely media black out now but the trailer that @Hero of Time posted a few weeks ago was glorious, settled any nerves I had about the game. It is well and truly Shenmue and I can't wait to get immersed in it. 

The only gripe I have is with the logo and the boxart, it looks so cheap and amateurish. Can't some graphic designer Shenmue fan make something more attractive and send it over to them? 

I'm probably a dope but I'm planning on buying a retail copy to play, want to keep my backer copy pristine and show the team some more support as I don't think it will do particularly well commercially.

3 hours ago, killthenet said:

I'm probably a dope but I'm planning on buying a retail copy to play, want to keep my backer copy pristine and show the team some more support as I don't think it will do particularly well commercially.

In that case, I'm probably a bigger dope... I backed the game at the £300 level and I've pre-ordered the Collector's Edition from Limited Run Games for another £100... ::shrug:

But it's Shenmue III so it has to be worth it! :peace:

On 12/09/2019 at 9:15 PM, S.C.G said:

In that case, I'm probably a bigger dope... I backed the game at the £300 level and I've pre-ordered the Collector's Edition from Limited Run Games for another £100... ::shrug:

But it's Shenmue III so it has to be worth it! :peace:

Wow you must have put in a lot of hours at the harbour for that. 

• Haha 1

I was tempted buy the collectors edition myself but I'm not really sure what I would do with the lamp. It's been so long since the Kickstarter took payment that it would feel kind of bad not to give them more money. 

I stopped working in the harbour months ago, I figured out a foolproof system for Lucky Hit

Edited by killthenet
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Wow you must have put in a lot of hours at the harbour for that. 

I certainly did, the harbour work has dried up now though so I'm glad that I've paid for Shenmue III so I'll still get the game hopefully. :peace:

4 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I stopped working in the harbour months ago, I figured out a foolproof system for Lucky Hit

Me too, although I'm still working on figuring out my own foolproof system, so I might try my luck on the slot machines! :D

In all seriousness though, I can't wait for this game. :smile:

I didn’t end up cancelling my Kickstarter order but I’m still massively down on the game. Any interesting in playing it or supporting the devs has gone right out of the window.

Great video by Digital Foundry, as always.

And I always love a Game Informer trip video:

Edited by Julius

The BBC's new gameshow is basically a giant version of Lucky Hit fronted by Danny Dyer.

E-mail's are going out asking backers to confirm their delivery addresses, it's starting to feel real.

arresteddevelopment_itshappening.gif

Less than 4 weeks until release now!

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, killthenet said:

E-mail's are going out asking backers to confirm their delivery addresses, it's starting to feel real.

arresteddevelopment_itshappening.gif

Less than 4 weeks until release now!

Yup, got mine yesterday.

I'd better call the doctor in advance, because I'm sure this erection is going to last all month.

• Haha 1

Still no enthusiasm from me whatsoever. I expect it'll just sit on a shelf while I play something else at this point.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Still no enthusiasm from me whatsoever. I expect it'll just sit on a shelf while I play something else at this point.

Is it just the Epic store debacle that had turned you off the game, or have you soured on the idea of Shenmue 3 as a whole?

43 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Is it just the Epic store debacle that had turned you off the game, or have you soured on the idea of Shenmue 3 as a whole?

The Epic Store stuff caused it and while I’m no longer seething about that, it just seemed to do enough to sour it all for me. I’m just very “meh” about it now.

16 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

The Epic Store stuff caused it and while I’m no longer seething about that, it just seemed to do enough to sour it all for me. I’m just very “meh” about it now.

It's a shame that you feel that way now, they really have bungled some of the messaging around it, the only thing people should really be grumbling about are the delays but the partnership with Deep Silver (and by extension the deal with Epic) has turned a lot of people off.

Might work out better for you in the long run, you won't be bothered by the hype and if you change your mind you can play it any time you want. 

4 minutes ago, killthenet said:

It's a shame that you feel that way now, they really have bungled some of the messaging around it, the only thing people should really be grumbling about are the delays but the partnership with Deep Silver (and by extension the deal with Epic) has turned a lot of people off.

Might work out better for you in the long run, you won't be bothered by the hype and if you change your mind you can play it any time you want. 

Meh

😝

• Haha 1

It's still tough for me to comprehend that we're only a week away from release - the long wait is almost over!

I am unreasonably excited, constantly find myself whistling the theme and checking the resetera threads. It seems as if the game is out in the wild now, mistakenly put out on shelves in a Finnish shop, so all fears of there being a last minute delay have abated. Now the only worry is whether it gets sent out to me on time...

Well, I backed the game and Fangamer haven't shipped it yet but meanwhile, the Limited Collector's Edition which I pre-ordered from Limited Run Games is scheduled for shipping.

I wonder which copy will arrive first... :D

I'm tempted to start playing Shenmue I & II on the PS4... I played them on the Dreamcast but it would be interesting to blast through them before Shenmue III arrives.

Also... why does everything have to come out in November? ::shrug:

Ah well, Ryo Hazuki-Shenmue III-Sailors-I see... hype! :grin:

It's crazy to think how much has changed since I finished Shenmue 2. I'm fairly sure I was still at school/sixth form at that point.

I genuinely never thought we'd see another installment. It never made sense to make one. The first 2 games didn't exactly sell well compared to their budget and so much time had passed that it didn't seem sensible to do it anymore.

But here we are, less than one week to go. Crazy stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Well, I backed the game and Fangamer haven't shipped it yet but meanwhile, the Limited Collector's Edition which I pre-ordered from Limited Run Games is scheduled for shipping.

Thankfully the Kickstarter rewards won't be shipped out by Fangamer over here, they partnered with a UK based distributor so they probably won't be shipped until Friday at the earliest. 

I've ordered another copy from Argos, I want to keep the backer copy sealed for posterity.

• Thanks 2