NEurope
Dcubed

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

I only got to play it for an hour or so last night, but I'm surprised how much it feels like a Dreamcast game with updated graphics. Not necessarily a good thing, but I personally love it.

Edited by Goafer
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

I really liked watching Happy Console Gamer share his first thoughts on Shenmue III and it just makes me think that I'm really going to enjoy the game. :D

41 minutes ago, Ike said:

Does everyone get a backer code, or was it just certain tiers?

I checked this morning after their email and I seem to have one. If you follow their link to fangamer you should be able to find it there. If you don't have an actual fangamer account (like I didn't) then on their page just request your survey to be sent out again and it will give you all the relevant pages including the backer codes.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I checked this morning after their email and I seem to have one. If you follow their link to fangamer you should be able to find it there. If you don't have an actual fangamer account (like I didn't) then on their page just request your survey to be sent out again and it will give you all the relevant pages including the backer codes.

That worked thanks, I have a good afterall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ike said:

Backer code doesn't even work. :blank:

Well it is basically a Dreamcast game. I guess you didn't have backer codes back then.

Anyone know how the skill book exchange works? It seems to imply you can do it from the menu, but I have all the ingredients and it doesn't seem to give me to option to exchange for the books.

Edit: Ignore me, apparently it needs to be done at the pawn shop, which I've just found.

Edited by Goafer

Gawd, ive only played 2 days worth of the game and even i knew that. And you call yourself a Shenmue fan!

The more I play Shenmue 3, the more I'm amazed it exists as it does. It's an awful game and I love it for being so bad.

There have been very few updates to the gameplay, clunky controls, awful voice acting or slow pacing of the originals, which is going to make a lot of people who never played the originals wonder how anyone could possibly like such a terrible game. They could have updated the gameplay and brought it up to modern standards, but they didn't. It's clearly been done as an attempt to appeal to fans, rather than attract newcomers.

The new additions and changes aren't my favourite, such as the food/stamina system or the weird black fades, but they're not a huge deal to me.

I can absolutely see why a lot of people won't like it. It's a shit game, just like the originals are if you go back and play them now. But it's a sequel to a series that came out when I was 15 and was the first time I ever experienced a proper, mature story. The world is one that sucked me in so many years ago and was incredible at the time. The fact that just playing this takes me back to that time so accurately is mind-blowing to me and I'm very grateful that they took the, quite frankly insane, decision to release such an accurate recreation of the Dreamcast originals, warts and all (and a few extras thrown in for good measure).

Edited by Goafer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, I just fanboyed so goddamn hard.

I won't spoil it, but it's just after you have to speak to a female monk at a temple and have to search a room.

• Thanks 1

I just finished it and while I admit that it suffers from a few technical issues and is pretty rough around the edges it absolutely nails the feel and atmosphere of the Dreamcast originals and I loved the majority of my time with the game. It still feels weird that it exists, the past week has felt like a dream that I never wanted to end. 

So much could have gone wrong with this but it's ended up being an absolute treat for diehard Shenmue fans. 

• Thanks 1

Another video from Happy Console Gamer on Shenmue III (Final Thoughts) no spoilers in the video and it just makes me more interested to play the game.

I will play it, of course... I've just got to put some time aside for it and hope that when I do go to play it that some of the bugs will be fixed but they don't seem to be game-breaking.

No idea how that backer code works either, I get the impression that you need to redeem it in-game? Looking forward to trying it out soon anyway.

On 29/11/2019 at 10:11 PM, S.C.G said:

No idea how that backer code works either, I get the impression that you need to redeem it in-game? Looking forward to trying it out soon anyway.

You redeem it in the settings on the PS4 version, think it's different on the Steam/Epic store. Except my code didn't work. I don't even know what it gives you.

• Thanks 1