NEurope
Dcubed

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

3 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Oh, I hadn't seen that, even with the 6 emails Kickstarter sent linking me to it!

You only got six e-mails from Kickstarter? I got twelve... not sure why, did the game launch yet or something? :p

One email for each delay. 

I actually forgot the game was coming out until I happened to see an advert on Instagram. Years of willing it into existence and then I forgot about it when it did!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Just had my dispatch confirmation email

But did you get 16 emails this time?

Shenmue I&II are on sale on Steam as well if anyone needs to catch up.

My backer copy and sleeve have been sent out as well. :D

Will probably have to wait a little longer for that capsule toy and the other stuff though...

But erm... Shenmue III will soon be available in physical, playable form... I donlt think it will properly sink in until I have the game.

Looking forward to it though.

Looks like my copy is out for delivery at the moment.

Despite my "meh-ness" I expect I'll get started on it tonight.

It has arrived!

Rbq3KJ7.jpg

To be honest, not sure when I'm going to start this. Finishing off some of the extra stuff in Fallen Order before moving onto Pokémon Sword, so hoping I'll get to this by the weekend. 

Hope everyone else has a good time chasing after Lan Di with Ryo and Shenhua! :D

• Thanks 1

My copy arrived today as well, I'm not that excited by the 'backer-exclusive' slip-case, it's nice enough and it's a memento of the Kickstarter campaign but I don't really go in for slip-cases or steelbooks for my PS4 games, plus it got damaged in the post anyway and the disc is loose in the case which happens with a lot of PS4 games so this will be the copy that I open, I'll save the other limited edition as a collectable.

Anyway, the main thing is... Shenmue III is here, it's real, it exists and is playable. :D

I didn't think I'd see the day this would happen if you'd asked me more than five years ago, but here we are. :)

With the said though, as for timing... this turns out to be one of the busiest times for game releases in general but if I can't make time for Shenmue III then that would be pretty terrible.

It has been quite an exciting four years though since the game was officially announced as being in development and I don't regret backing the game at the tier I went for. :peace:

I don't think there was anything mentioned about bonuses carrying over from the PS4 release of Shenmue I & II when starting Shenmue III though, but I'd always thought that would have been a nice idea if they were able to have something carry over, especially as there was some data carried over in the original DC games.

However you play the games though, Shenmue is definitely a series worth investing time in I'd say and I'm glad that many people will get to play these games now. :smile:

• Thanks 1

My backer copy has arrived too and boy is that slipcase ugly. Would have been a nice bonus for it to be artful and worth displaying but oh well, it's lameness won't effect my enjoyment of the game. 

I actually quite like the look of that slipcase. Simple and not garish, kind of what I want a slipcase to be.

They felt pretty premium though, the design of the Shenmue slipcase is decent enough but it just feels too cheap and flimsy. Would have loved it to be embossed in the same way as the LOTR ones.

I've got a book to finish tonight so won't start playing this until tomorrow night. Think I'll avoid the forum (and any other gaming sites) until I've finished playing it. 

See you on the other side guys...

Ok I don't want to seem negative straight away but in some ways this seems worse than the Dreamcast games...

Theres a weird fade to black between talking scenes which almost had me worried I was leaning on a button and skipping dialogue. It's so abrupt and unnecessary.

Ryo's walk and run animations are weird.

On the plus side they've kept his odd way of talking which I appreciate.

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

On the plus side they've kept his odd way of talking which I appreciate.

I see...

:p

• Haha 2

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you guys think because I've barely started it and I'm already finding it just a bad game. The constant cutting to black screen for tiny loads is infuriating, especially when it's for stuff that was also in the original games and had no loads. Theres also some stamina/eating mechanic that I can already tell will piss me off.

God I hope it gets better because if not then I'd rather they just never made Shenmue 3.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, killthenet said:

They felt pretty premium though, the design of the Shenmue slipcase is decent enough but it just feels too cheap and flimsy. Would have loved it to be embossed in the same way as the LOTR ones.

Yeah, I agree - feels cheap. Thankfully mine wasn't damaged in the post.

Still not played Shenmue 2, and should probably replay the first one since I've not played it in a long time. Not sure when that's going to happen though. Too many games, not enough time. :cry:

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

The constant cutting to black screen for tiny loads is infuriating, especially when it's for stuff that was also in the original games and had no loads. Theres also some stamina/eating mechanic that I can already tell will piss me off.

:shakehead

12 minutes ago, Ike said:

Still not played Shenmue 2, and should probably replay the first one since I've not played it in a long time. Not sure when that's going to happen though. Too many games, not enough time. :cry:

The gamer's plight :D 

Honestly, as much as I enjoyed playing both Shenmue and Shenmue II for the first time back-to-back last summer, I'm not sure if I'll ever go out of my way to return to either of those games (besides potentially for the forklift racing, which I had way too much fun with). If you've already played through the first game, I honestly think that reminding yourself of the story through watching the cutscenes and then playing through Shenmue II will give you enough of an idea of how that game played out from both a story and gameplay perspective ::shrug: 

Definitely appreciate the feeling that there are too many games and a lack of time; the list of games that I want to play are probably 70% JRPGs :cry:

I was so put off by the game last night that I just got to the first save point and gave up. I'll give it another proper try tonight after work. Reading some more posts on Era a lot of people didn't like the same things as me but said that the first day in the game is just a really bad area for that stuff and it'll get better. Not really sure how much will change given my complaints shouldnt really be confined to a single area but I'm willing to give it another chance.

I think what really worried me straight away was that if this had even just been on par with the Dreamcast games then I would have had no issues but because certain things seemed worse it really stuck out.