NEurope
Dcubed

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

Cedric Biscay, Shenmue III producer and CEO of Shibuya Productions (which presents MAGIC), has announced that the first gameplay trailer for the game will be shown at MAGIC Monaco on March 9th.

Backers Update #97 also showed off these two new screenshots of the game:

d5fafcec775bd0884967c6c2a33fe533_origina

badce1ccf703497a13ac6660cc7c25d2_origina

Correct me if I'm wrong...but is the first image our first look at a facial animation for Ryo? The textures, backgrounds and faces look amazing :D

I've also just noticed that I still haven't shared my thoughts on the first two games...whoops ::shrug: I'll get to that by the end of the month :)

• Thanks 2

Holy smokes! Lan Di looks incredible!

Much more polished than he looked at Gamescom last year:

250?cb=20180822015439

In a world exclusive, Shenmue III features on Edge Magazine's cover for the April issue. My copy arrived this morning and the cover is absolutely beautiful, I'm hesitant to actually read the feature about it but I've flicked through and looked at the screenshots and I'm welling up - it looks fantastic! Very excited to see it in motion on the 9th March.

EDIT:

I skimmed through the article, skipping anything that seemed spoilery and it seems to go quite in depth with the gameplay. It seems like the writer from Edge witnessed a member of the team play through the very beginning of the game, there doesn't seem to be much detail about how the game actually plays (there's a mention of the camera system being more in line with modern games - right analogue stick gives complete control of the camera) and they note that the combat system is a bit more free flowing than in the first two games. There is quite a bit of discussion of the characters and the setting which I obviously skipped, I'm hoping to go into this as blind as possible, but the dialogue system seems to be much deeper than before and apparently there are some RPG-type systems involved this time too. 

Mostly the sense that I got is that the game is very much a Shenmue game, complete with the strange characters and strict attention to detail but with the benefit of modern technology providing a smoother and less awkward gameplay experience. Suzuki makes it clear that Shenmue III still has that unique, magic essence that made the first two games so memorable and well loved.

Edited by killthenet
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, killthenet said:

In a world exclusive, Shenmue III features on Edge Magazine's cover for the April issue. My copy arrived this morning and the cover is absolutely beautiful, I'm hesitant to actually read the feature about it but I've flicked through and looked at the screenshots and I'm welling up - it looks fantastic! Very excited to see it in motion on the 9th March.

EDIT:

I skimmed through the article, skipping anything that seemed spoilery and it seems to go quite in depth with the gameplay. It seems like the writer from Edge witnessed a member of the team play through the very beginning of the game, there doesn't seem to be much detail about how the game actually plays (there's a mention of the camera system being more in line with modern games - right analogue stick gives complete control of the camera) and they note that the combat system is a bit more free flowing than in the first two games. There is quite a bit of discussion of the characters and the setting which I obviously skipped, I'm hoping to go into this as blind as possible, but the dialogue system seems to be much deeper than before and apparently there are some RPG-type systems involved this time too. 

Mostly the sense that I got is that the game is very much a Shenmue game, complete with the strange characters and strict attention to detail but with the benefit of modern technology providing a smoother and less awkward gameplay experience. Suzuki makes it clear that Shenmue III still has that unique, magic essence that made the first two games so memorable and well loved.

Wow, that came out of nowhere, huh? I poked around on Reddit and found the cover for Edge, and you're right, it's brilliant:

ysalkkvfoai21.jpg

Been a long time since I've picked up a gaming magazine, but I might just on this occasion. And thanks for the write-up of the information!

Assuming that this game doesn't get delayed -- give it more time if it needs it, by all means, but I think it's coming this year -- I think it's my most anticipated game of 2019, despite only playing Shenmue and Shenmue II for the first time at the end of last August. Some parts of those games haven't aged too well -- movement in particular feels a bit archaic, which isn't too surprising -- but the way that it feels like the games authentically insert you into the settings, the way that the plot evolves, the way that combat is challenging but fun (and has agreed brilliantly), and the beautiful, goosebump-inducing score perfectly complementing what felt like truly epic moments...I was fully captivated by Yu Suzuki's work. I can only imagine what it's like for others here who have been waiting much, much longer than me for this game!

Edited by Julius

This seems like it might be the official box art, from Deep Silver's website: 

s3_ps_eu.png

Looks kind of rough, pretty generic, and nowhere near as good as the covers for the previous games (or the remasters from last year), in my opinion :( 

On 19/02/2019 at 11:04 AM, Julius said:

d5fafcec775bd0884967c6c2a33fe533_origina

Correct me if I'm wrong...but is the first image our first look at a facial animation for Ryo? The textures, backgrounds and faces look amazing :D

He does appear to be reacting to a fart so that's progress. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

He does appear to be reacting to a fart so that's progress. 

Shenmue_Dreamcast_039.jpg

Gameplay trailer 'Ryo & Master' from MAGIC 2019! 

Not much in terms of gameplay to be honest, but it's nice to finally have a hint of context for where the story might go. 

Suzuki also teased onstage that though this trailer focuses more on a look at the combat, more is coming soon. 

Also...that thumbnail should absolutely be rearranged for use as box art. 

Edited by Julius

Kickstarter update today and the game has been delayed to November 19th. Can't say I'm surprised and it's good that they're getting the bad news out of the way before E3 so that the hands on impressions can stand by themselves. I can accept another minor delay like this but would be gutted if it slipped any further.

Yeah it's not a long delay. I'm sure we'll all survive so they can have the extra time they need.

Well, that happened...

Hello Everyone,

The PC Gaming Show just wrapped up with some big news for Shenmue III. The new trailer was unveiled and it was announced Shenmue III for PC will be an Epic Games Store exclusive!

...and it has not gone down well, at all.

And understandably so as the Epic Store wasn't on the cards when Shenmue III was Kickstarted, heck it didn't even exist.

I mean... I'm going for the PS4 version but still, I can understand why a lot of people would not be best pleased at this announcement.

• Angry 2

Oh there's a new trailer as well...

Edited by S.C.G

I need to check to see which version I went with when I backed the Kickstarter. Not gonna be happy if I'm forced into getting the Epic Store version. I don't have an account with them because the last time I made an account I would get multiple attempts every single day to access my account. I don't trust their security.

EDIT: Yep, looks like I backed for a physical PC copy :(

Edited by Happenstance

Genuinely angry over the PC version going to Epic over Steam.

Edited by Helmsly

I don't think refunds will be given but I'm kind of tempted to put my name in for one anyway. This is way too late in the game to announce something like this, especially when backer surveys where you had to choose your version specifically mention Steam.

I'm going for the PS4 version too so it won't affect me much but I can totally understand the fury at the decision. I would guess it's more of a publisher decision than one made by Ysnet and Yu Suzuki, it really pisses me off that Epic Store exclusivity is all people will be talking about with this game now, as if being published by Deep Silver wasn't bad enough for PR already

• Thanks 1

I almost went for the PC version but I felt it was a bit pointless getting a case with a download code so opted for PS4 in the end. Glad I did now.

The backer update they sent out 3rd June still mentions Steam in the system requirements for PC. :(

• Sad 3

No!!! I wanted this on Steam to complement my Shenmue 1&2... This is the worst news ever, Epic can step on a lego. I thought after the Metro Exodus debacle, games with passionate fanbases would have learned their lesson.

Came here to view this thread - crazy ass thing, sooooo many people will be pissed!

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

The backer update they sent out 3rd June still mentions Steam in the system requirements for PC. :(

You need it installed on your PC. You just can't play it using Steam. 

Yep, I just heard. I was wondering what @Happenstance was going on about during the Ubisoft conference.

I had a seriously ominous feeling over the past few months that Epic would be throwing an obscene amount of money at Shenmue to get that PC exclusivity.

Sorry for those PC backers expecting a Steam key.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Sad 1