NEurope
Dcubed

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

Original voice actor returns.

Hello Everyone!

Just in! Corey Marshall, the actor who did the English voice acting for the main character Ryo in Shenmue 1 & 2, is now confirmed for Shenmue 3!

The support for Mr. Marshall to reprise his role as Ryo has been just overwhelming!

We would all like to thank Corey-san for coming back, and especially for all the support he has given to Shenmue over the years.

Corey is as excited for Shenmue's return as we all are, and to help out, he has magnanimously offered his voice for a special reward. Yes, that's right--get a personal message from Ryo! Do not miss this opportunity to get a very special message from Ryo himself. Maybe one those classic Ryo one-liners?

The $1,000 Reward for the Corey Marshall as Ryo Voice Message will include the $500 Reward. The Ryo Voice Message will also be included in the Rewards for $2,000 and up.

I can still weirdly remember the day I got Shenmue. Went shopping in Birmingham and was going to get the train home when there was an announcement apologising for the delay "because we do not currently have a driver" so I left and went around the Pallisades and ended up picking it up.

#mistywatercolouredmemories

Sounds like that was a...

...fortuitous happenstance.

Keep retweeting , today there is lots of activity coming , 4-5pm shenmue will be trending

#SaveShenmue

Get some awareness

Physical PS4 copy has been added at some point. Same price as the physical PC version.

Just backed it again so I can have 1 sealed copy , I think this will be very rare in the future

I upped my pledge to get the PS4 boxed copy. I've quite liked the additional tiers they've added, they really seem to be doing a good job of running this.

I'm just waiting to hear back if I can double my pledge and just specify at the end that I want both physical copies.

I'm quite disappointed/upset. I expected them to easily break $10mil. Now I'm worried it will be a small game rather than doing the original justice. Shenmue I cost $70 million in production. Admittedly much of that is already created for Shenmue 3 (storylines, character designs, textures etc.) but I still think $10+ million is needed for the sequel that the series, and the fans, deserves.

I'm quite disappointed/upset. I expected them to easily break $10mil. Now I'm worried it will be a small game rather than doing the original justice. Shenmue I cost $70 million in production. Admittedly much of that is already created for Shenmue 3 (storylines, character designs, textures etc.) but I still think $10+ million is needed for the sequel that the series, and the fans, deserves.

I think that was very optimistic of you, tbh. They've actually done very well to get to 5, imo, especially when you consider that these sort of things slow down massively after a certain point. I haven't checked on this in a while, but I did wonder if it would just fall shy of the 5 million mark, but it looks like it'll get there.

The rest of the funding will have to come from elsewhere. I don't know the ins and outs of this deal and (aside from the kickstarter) who else is pouring money into it. They'll have much more than just 5 million to play with, that's for sure.

Pretty sure they're getting extra funding too (it was mentioned somewhere). That 70 million I thought covered the cost of both games plus something else.

The game will sell a lot more when released; Kickstarter is great but the amount of people willing to pay up front for a game that is something like 2+ years away is always going to be just a piece of all the potential customers. Hopefully someone like Sony sees this and props them up, with an aim to recoup the money after release.

I think that was very optimistic of you, tbh. They've actually done very well to get to 5, imo, especially when you consider that these sort of things slow down massively after a certain point. I haven't checked on this in a while, but I did wonder if it would just fall shy of the 5 million mark, but it looks like it'll get there.

The rest of the funding will have to come from elsewhere. I don't know the ins and outs of this deal and (aside from the kickstarter) who else is pouring money into it. They'll have much more than just 5 million to play with, that's for sure.

Well I realised very quickly that it wasn't going to go that high. But prior to that I don't think it was too optimistic an expectation. Thinking back to other game kickstarters that I've backed, Pillars of Eternity received $4 million. So for a game that seemingly a quarter of the internet has been pining for for a decade, that was featured at E3, to only raise $5 million seems quite low to me. I can't see this game being that good without reaching the $10m open world stretch goal.

I think part of the issue was that the mid level rewards were pretty crap. I would definitely consider myself one of the biggest Shenmue fans out there. Yet I wasn't excited by any of them, and only went for the physical game pack ($60). I pledged much more for Con Man, so I would have happily pledged a large amount to this if the rewards had been decent; probably tripling my donation. If that's also the case with a lot of other backers then that's a few hundred thousand dollars, if not more, right there.

Edited by MoogleViper

Just been watching Gametrailers talking a bit about this and saying a lot of the cost of the first two games came from the fact they made their own engine for it. Nowadays of course you can just use the likes of Unreal Engine 4; it's a lot cheaper, quicker, easier.

New Shenmue III screenshot. Does look like they are making progress with the art style and graphics.

Shenmue-3-Screen_01-20-16.jpg

Latest backer email confirms Shenmue III will be at Gamescom in August. I'll just be glad to see something new from them, its been too long.

• Like 1

It was a bit odd to find this in General Gaming! It feels like this needs a little bit of updating :p

In June of last year, the game was delayed from December 2017 to an undetermined date in the latter half of 2018.

Back in August, Deep Silver (Metro, Saints Row, Shin Megami Tensei) was announced as the project’s publisher, and this teaser trailer was debuted at Gamescom:

In late September, WWG reported that they had learned that HD re-releases of Shenmue I & II were due to be announced in 2017, with their sources purportedly being linked to SEGA. The HD re-releases as described by the outlet would be coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, and have been in development since 2016.

However, a few days ago [January], WWG reported that the project is still under way at SEGA, and that the HD re-releases were delayed as a result of the delay of Shenmue III to the latter half of 2018. News of this came courtesy of their alleged sources linked with SEGA from before, as well as being reiterated by journalists in Europe when contacted. SEGA were initially planning to announce Shenmue I & II HD at E3 2017, according to one source linked directly to SEGA, but are now apparently waiting for a more opportune time to reveal the HD re-releases when a release date for Shenmue III is pinned down. 

Some brand new screenshots from Shenmue III were revealed today [January]: 

Shenmue-III_2018_01-16-18_001.jpg

Shenmue-III_2018_01-16-18_002.jpg

Shenmue-III_2018_01-16-18_003.jpg

Next month, in February, more details and screenshots are expected of the game, as Yu Suzuki will be attending the Monaco Anime Game International Conference on February 24th. 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Four new images of the game were shared at MAGIC 2018. It’s definitely looking better and better with each new look that we get of the game!

S3_MAGIC_2018_01_Isnt-she-charming-1024x

S3_MAGIC_2018_02_From-a-scene-featuring-

S3_MAGIC_2018_04_That-stance-means-war-R

S3_MAGIC_2018_03_Who-is-this-masterly-lo

Also, might I suggest to the moderators that this thread be moved over to ‘Other Consoles’? Every time I come to update it, I always end up looking around for five minutes over there before I remember that it’s over in ‘General Gaming Discussion’.

Just a friendly suggestion :) 

6 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

Also, might I suggest to the moderators that this thread be moved over to ‘Other Consoles’? Every time I come to update it, I always end up looking around for five minutes over there before I remember that it’s over in ‘General Gaming Discussion’.

Just a friendly suggestion :) 

Agreed. I've moved it now. I'm always a bit surprised when I see it pop up in the General Gaming board.

Looking forward to hearing more on this. Still holding out on 1+2 being given the HD treatment and put on the PS4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Still holding out on 1+2 being given the HD treatment and put on the PS4.

Hopefully that happens, I'm very interested in trying the Shenmue series after being introduced to the Yakuza series last year. 

Well, a trailer was shown at MAGIC 2018, and was supposed to go unseen by those not in attendance. However, two versions of the trailer have been posted online; the trailer below is something of a Frankenstein effort, cut and pieced together from those two different versions.

It is an extended version of the Gamescom trailer, and showcases our first look at QTEs in this game.

Edited by Julius Caesar