NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Ghost Recon: WildLands

Will probably look nothing like this reveal. :D

Indeed. And it will be out in 2018 if The Division is anything to go by :D

Looked cool, though.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, what's the difference between this and the dozens of other openworld shooters/RPGs? When Guillemont mentioned a new IP I was hoping for something totally different, not another shooter ffs.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, what's the difference between this and the dozens of other openworld shooters/RPGs? When Guillemont mentioned a new IP I was hoping for something totally different, not another shooter ffs.

Although you say this a lot, I do agree with you in this instance. I thought it may be Beyond Good & Evil, Prince of Persia or Rayman.

Yeah Ubisoft press conference was completely lacking in diversity.

@Ronnie, it's a fair comment, but it's a sequel to Ghost Recon [............................. barely] so.

Seemed Ghost Recon in name only though.

Its not the first time its evolved though. The original Ghost Recon was far more realistic in comparison to GRAW 1&2. To be honest the series needed a big shake up after the last one fell flat on its face.

This game looks awful. I wouldn't usually come to a thread to simply post 'this looks awful', so I'll add some context.

One Christmas back in the N64 days I asked for Rainbow Six on the N64 and I spent Christmas morning gaming. Unlike most games, I wasn't engrossed in action or shooting, but in planning.

I spent the morning planning an assault on a farm house. Carefully plotting routes around the buildings, choosing points of entry for my teams, choosing weapons, setting up breaching points and then carrying out the mission and seeing if the planning had paid off.

As you moved your two mad squad around the level, the other two man squad would advance and halt based on your instruction and the take the route you had planned. You would be given updates on their progress and eventually if things panned out the way you hoped, you would clear the area, move into the farm house and successfully storm the correct rooms and free the hostages.

Every move you made was measured and had to be considered to ensure you ere silent, efficient and to make sure the guards were not alerted and your team got out alive. It was slow, methodical but at the time it felt so much more realistic and tactical than anything else out there.

Needless to say, I have very happy memories of Rainbow Six. It was a really different game - especially considering that most shooters were like Doom, Duke Nukem and Turok. Sure, Goldeneye had done stealth, but it wasn't realistic, you could still gun your way through dozens of guards and health pick ups and automatic weapons could turn you in a killing machine. Rainbow Six took stealth to the next level, it really made you feel like a special forces operative.

Fast forward to the Gamecube. I picked up Ghost Recon and I loved it. It was like Rainbow Six but on a bigger scale, almost like an 'out door' Rainbow Six. It was again slow, methodical and required patience and planning over reaction speed and flashy running and gunning.

I played Ghost Recon on the Gamecube so many times because it was different to Turok, Timesplitters and the other shooters I owned. I loved taking my time, planning an assault on an enemy camp, slowly picking off enemies around the edge before waiting for a lone soldier to move away from a group allowing me to pick him off and giving me a better chance of taking down the group later on.

When I look at this trailer, I see a game that isn't Ghost Recon. I don't see methodical slow play and planning, I see a game that blurs into so many other games. A game that is trying to be Call of Duty or any other military shooter, just with the Ghost Recon name slapped on.

I hate the way that titles like this are becoming more similar rather than standing out by doing something different. Armoured recon vehicles zipping around with machine guns mounted to the rear that tear through dozens of enemies isn't Ghost Recon, aiming down the sights of a belt fed machine gun and mowing down enemies like the Terminator isn't Ghost Recon, flying through the bushes on a dirt bike isn't Ghost Recon - in fact none of this looks like Ghost Recon.

This has to be the most disappointing and generic trailer I've seen for a series I have such fond memories of. Another stand out series that was known for being tactical and realistic has tried to go down the route of so many other games and just go all out for action and big explosions, when it's original appeal was the very opposite.

A real Ghost Recon experience is something I would love, a return to its roots, a game where for every hour of in the field action there was 30 minutes of hardcore planning and squad customisation.

Myself, Lostmario and my nephew hooked up on this last night and it was a hilarious experience.

I joined the game and straight away jumped in a chopper with the guys. My nephew clearly didn't have any idea how to fly the thing and he was all over the place, eventually crashing the thing into the ground.

More LOLs were had as we made our way to the next mission, only for Lostmario to crash the car as he went off road hoping to find a shortcut.

Eventually we decided it seemed safer if we all took a different vehicle and made our own way to the next objective. :D

The many ways you can tackle the missions is great. I tend to stay back and mark the enemies for my team using the drone. Lostmario was picking these targets off with a sniper. My nephew tends to go all in guns a blazing.

There was one mission where we flew in a chopper ( I was piloting so we didn't crash :p) and I dropped Lostmario off on a hill just outside the objective, while my nephew and I started the mission. Lostmario was able to offer covering fire from his position, while we engaged the enemy at a closer proximity.

Another mission had us attacking an enemy base. We were struggling a bit but then my nephew sodded off and picked up a tank from somewhere....not before Lostmario killed him by throwing a frag at an explosive machine which my nephew was standing next to. :) After nicking the tank the mission became much easier, obviously.

The game has the potential to be something very special when playing with mates. It feels like The Division but on a much grander and varied scale. I'm very much looking forward to playing the full game now.

This looks like it would have been so much fun to play with my coop friend, but he's gone and got himself a child, and now we never get to play together anymore.

Myself, Lostmario and my nephew hooked up on this last night and it was a hilarious experience.

I joined the game and straight away jumped in a chopper with the guys. My nephew clearly didn't have any idea how to fly the thing and he was all over the place, eventually crashing the thing into the ground.

More LOLs were had as we made our way to the next mission, only for Lostmario to crash the car as he went off road hoping to find a shortcut.

Eventually we decided it seemed safer if we all took a different vehicle and made our own way to the next objective. :D

The many ways you can tackle the missions is great. I tend to stay back and mark the enemies for my team using the drone. Lostmario was picking these targets off with a sniper. My nephew tends to go all in guns a blazing.

There was one mission where we flew in a chopper ( I was piloting so we didn't crash :p) and I dropped Lostmario off on a hill just outside the objective, while my nephew and I started the mission. Lostmario was able to offer covering fire from his position, while we engaged the enemy at a closer proximity.

Another mission had us attacking an enemy base. We were struggling a bit but then my nephew sodded off and picked up a tank from somewhere....not before Lostmario killed him by throwing a frag at an explosive machine which my nephew was standing next to. :) After nicking the tank the mission became much easier, obviously.

The game has the potential to be something very special when playing with mates. It feels like The Division but on a much grander and varied scale. I'm very much looking forward to playing the full game now.

After reading this, I want it. Sounds like a blast!

I didn't manage to give it a go as it was the Mrs' son's birthday weekend.

After reading this, I want it. Sounds like a blast!

I didn't manage to give it a go as it was the Mrs' son's birthday weekend.

It really was. So many hilarious moments were had in the space of a couple of hours. I love a good co-op game and this looks set to deliver.

I played through the beta missions on Saturday with @Goafer. I thought it seemed pretty good, definitely something I'd like to play through properly but I think we both agreed it would probably be one we wait until it's under £20 to buy.

I played through the beta missions on Saturday with @Goafer. I thought it seemed pretty good, definitely something I'd like to play through properly but I think we both agreed it would probably be one we wait until it's under £20 to buy.

My nephew is buying it straight away, so this forces me to pick it up on release day.

Trophies are now out. Looks like a decent list.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5891-tom-clancys-ghost-recon-wildlands

My copy arrived yesterday and I spent most of the evening playing it. It was certainly a different experience than what I had during the beta, as I was playing with the AI as my sidekicks.

The AI seems to be great, at least so far. They will give me covering fire, heal me when I go down, take out targets I mark and even complete objectives. At one point I got ambushed and the enemies dropped me pretty fast. The boss started to peg it but 2 of my AI team mates went and chased after him ( they also killed him and completed the objective. ) while the 3rd one revived me. I was very impressed.

I'm trying my best to play it in a stealthy kinda way. I've been upgrading my drone so that I can spies enemies from a distance. I then mark a few out for my team mates to shoot, before I pull out the sniper and start picking them off one by one. If it all goes to hell then I just call in a mortar strike from the rebels. :D

I really enjoyed exploring the massive world last night and look forward to getting back on it with my nephew and @lostmario. @gmac I see that you have also bought the game. You should hook up with us and get The Division crew back together. :)

I really enjoyed exploring the massive world last night and look forward to getting back on it with my nephew and @lostmario. @gmac I see that you have also bought the game. You should hook up with us and get The Division crew back together. :)

Yeah I'll be up for playing it with you guys, cleared one of the areas with your nephew tonight, was really fun in co-op

Yeah I'll be up for playing it with you guys, cleared one of the areas with your nephew tonight, was really fun in co-op

Yeah, he invited me but you guys started co-op mode too late as I was heading to bed. I've also promised @lostmario I would hold off playing anymore until he gets his copy. He ordered his copy from Amazon as they gave him a voucher for not getting him Zelda on time and now they haven't gotten him this on time either. Hopefully he will get it today.

I've no idea what the hell is going on with Amazon deliveries at the moment. They are an absolute mess, even for Prime members.

Seems like this is another decent open world game :D

Don't think I'll get this anytime soon, though. After BotW and when I'm done with Horizon I think I need a break from the genre.

@Hero\-of\-Time

I'm tempted. How many can you fit on a team?

Sign in to follow this