Cube

Sea of Thieves (XBO/PC) - New Rare game

On 09/05/2018 at 11:12 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

I don't think the size and position of the Xbox market has much to do with the drop off. The game had a very strong start both in retail and digitally but a lot of players left not long after it launched. The reason for this is the game just lacks content, which is baffling considering how long it was in development for. Having it on other consoles wouldn't have helped as you would have just had more people left disappointed.

There is also the problem of it lacking a real single player component. Sure, you can play on your own but no doubt you will get hunted down by a group of people who are playing together. I've read a fair few stories on Era about how people got sick of losing their loot due to being attacked by a random group of players. This is fine if its an even battle but if you are off about doing your own thing by yourself, exploring and getting treasure, only for it to be nicked away from you after putting a couple of hours into getting it, it's not hard to see why people got fed up.

The GaaS model is a tricky one and you need to have a plenty of things to do for the player that keep them engaged otherwise it's going to tank. Ubisoft seems to really have cracked the code with some of their games. Just look at how well Rainbow Six, The Division and even For Honor are doing. All 3 of them had bumpy starts but Ubisoft engaged with their user base, listened to the feedback and reacted quickly in order to deliver games that are now very successful.

Thanks for the insight! Tbh my experience is severely limited in not being a PC gamer(or even much of a user these days) and mostly going by seeing my mates having a good time and chatting about it etc. tho still none of them did buy it after the trial. I didn't realise it was feeling bare to folks, but I again must profess my ignorance. I wonder if it's something, or even the attitude, or releasing something that isn't neccessarily end market but tailoring more real time to users etc? The world of day 1 patches constant updates/changes and content etc is certainly upon is.

Cheeky thread bump! 

With some chat about this game in the Xbox Game Pass thread, I wondered if we could gather an NE rabble together at some point to sail the seas and cause havoc, mayhem and sing sea shanties while we do it! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Cheeky thread bump! 

With some chat about this game in the Xbox Game Pass thread, I wondered if we could gather an NE rabble together at some point to sail the seas and cause havoc, mayhem and sing sea shanties while we do it! 

I've been playing Sea of Thieves every Friday for a while as part of a group of three, if there isn't anyone else interested, then you could join us on Fridays at 9pm, if you're available?

If not, or if there are other N-E members who would also like to play, then we could organise a dedicated N-E crew perhaps, on another day?

Started playing this with @Goafer last night and while I think we both like what the game is, we did start to find the multiplayer aspect very annoying almost immediately. Three times we attempted to do the first quest where you go dig up a treasure chest on a starting island to learn what to do and three times we were killed and our boat sank because some idiots just seemed to want to camp at those beginning areas.

I just can't believe that Rare didn't design the game better so you can get to know what you are doing first before all the troll tossers come out and start ruining it. If we couldn't even complete the first quest then something is wrong.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Started playing this with @Goafer last night and while I think we both like what the game is, we did start to find the multiplayer aspect very annoying almost immediately. Three times we attempted to do the first quest where you go dig up a treasure chest on a starting island to learn what to do and three times we were killed and our boat sank because some idiots just seemed to want to camp at those beginning areas.

I just can't believe that Rare didn't design the game better so you can get to know what you are doing first before all the troll tossers come out and start ruining it. If we couldn't even complete the first quest then something is wrong.

What size ship were they compared to you? 

You don't really know if anyone is a newbie or not, so they might have thought you kept on coming back to try and take them down for revenge or some such.

I've come across a few nice pirates, one group of which we ended up on voice chat with and completing the Fort of the Damned with, but by and large the place is hostile with people after your swag! 

Saying that, I find PvP interaction fairly rare in all honesty, it's more of a suprise to find another genuine ship on your server rather than a computer one. Unfortunately I'm absolutely rubbish at the combat against people, so invariably get a good kicking if it comes to that!

Pirate Legend status has become mine! ☠️

I remember when I played this on launch day some 2 and a bit years ago, how much I enjoyed the game but thought me on my own would never, ever get to pirate legend level. However since she picked up an Xbox, my girlfriend and me have been chipping away and another friend picked it up as well and the three of us have been sailing the seas, taking down forts, ghost ships, vaults of gold and making friends and enemies along the way. I've still done some solo as well and, some how and some way, I've managed to get to level 50 for the three main trading companies.

And there's still so much to do and see as well! Honestly they've made this game into a great experience, no additional paid content save for cosmetics (yes I bought some Banjo themed ship parts...) 

A great achievement by Rare to keep this game going, expanding it and making it so enjoyable!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1