NEurope
Cube

Sea of Thieves (XBO/PC) - New Rare game

Also @S.C.G I can play this evening yes but without voice chat, if that's ok with you then keen to, maybe see if we can get an N-E team together!

As for the first few hours... interesting. It plays like the scale test did; you're just dropped straight in with little explanation and off you go, which I do like. However the worries about little to do and repetition are definitely there already, I'll be interested to put more time into it to see. 

Also had some griefer do a good job of ruining it; he followed me to an island and killed me, fair enough. But when I would regenerate on my ship from the Ferry of the damned, he was waiting there to just continually kill me. I had no chests and as far as I know you don't get rewarded for just killing other pirates, so he was doing it purely to be a dick. And I told him as much before I scuttled my ship.

Well, the game is installed and I just forced the 9.1GB update... :blank: I assume then it'll be ready to play.

The first few hours are a tutorial then? So would I be better off playing on my own first or... just "Jump In" at the deep end. :p

2 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Well, the game is installed and I just forced the 9.1GB update... :blank: I assume then it'll be ready to play.

The first few hours are a tutorial then? So would I be better off playing on my own first or... just "Jump In" at the deep end. :p

No tutorial, you're literally just chucked in and off you go, so if you want to get to grips with everything please do!

My boy is still fast asleep so might be on a little later than planned but I'll let you know when :)

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Right child dropped off, kettle on, going on with voice and face and hopefully @S.C.G if you're still about, let's win the waves!

Just got back from Lunch, so can probably play for an hour or so until 15:45 I guess due to the impending Direct.

But until then... let's play at Pirates! :D

@Kaepora_Gaebora I've chosen me Pirate... arg!

I've tried to join ye but alas, it does not seem to be working, not sure if I need an invite possibly?

(it has been a while since I last played on the Xbox One online, several updates ago)

Edit - I think you were on a solo voyage as I couldn't join your party or game (I'm not even sure if you can chat in party and over Mixer simultaneously... or can you? Maybe that's how it works, I signed up to that anyway and watched you for a bit)

We could try at a Crew Voyage later or whatever the multiplayer mode is called, still... looks like you're having fun. :D (loving the underwater map-reading skills)

Anyway for now, that Nindies Direct beckons so I'm going to be watching that and making notes so feel free to keep playing at pirates. :peace:

The game looks like a lot of fun though, very nice water effects too.

Edited by S.C.G

Ah, I'm not sure on the invites! I get the feeling we have to start a crew at the beginning of it, or else you can't? 

Not sure as I've been flying solo all day, sorry I missed you earlier :(

I'll definitely be on tonight though, what sort of time will you likely be on?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Ah, I'm not sure on the invites! I get the feeling we have to start a crew at the beginning of it, or else you can't? 

Not sure as I've been flying solo all day, sorry I missed you earlier :(

I'll definitely be on tonight though, what sort of time will you likely be on?

Don't worry about it :) I'm new to it all as well.

Let's try starting up Party Chat and then forming a crew from the start.

Hmm later on, is 8PM or later any good to you?

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

Don't worry about it :) I'm new to it all as well.

Let's try starting up Party Chat and then forming a crew from the start.

Hmm later on, is 8PM or later any good to you?

Depends what time my lad goes to sleep but potentially, any time from 8 and usually before 9 should be fine! 

Remember I can't chat over mic, though I can listen to you barking out orders :p

Do you have WhatsApp or anything like that to form some Comms over?

@S.C.G I'm actually popping on now but will need to stop at some point before coming back on for the rest of the evening, if you don't have WhatsApp it might be easier to message me on the Xbox as I'll see that come through :)

Edited by Kaepora_Gaebora

OK, we'll say sometime around 9PM or so then, I've got some site stuff to do for a bit anyway. :)

We shall sail the seas aboard the good ship N-E! :D

You bring the underwater map and I'll bring the rum and a... parrot. :p

57 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

OK, we'll say sometime around 9PM or so then, I've got some site stuff to do for a bit anyway. :)

We shall sail the seas aboard the good ship N-E! :D

You bring the underwater map and I'll bring the rum and a... parrot. :p

Right barring the odd toilet break or tea top up I'm on from now, so message me when you're ready!

And yeah if you WhatsApp then send me your number so we can do our best to communicate, see how we get on :)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Right barring the odd toilet break or tea top up I'm on from now, so message me when you're ready!

And yeah if you WhatsApp then send me your number so we can do our best to communicate, see how we get on :)

Will definitely be after 9PM, still typing stuff up but almost there.

No WhatsApp here but there's always... http://n-europe.com/chat

I think it still works, so that should do.

@Kaepora_Gaebora I just finished on the site stuff, are you still playing for a little bit by any chance?

It's a shame that we didn't get to play at being pirates together yesterday @Kaepora_Gaebora but hopefully we will yet at some point. :)

Anyway, how are you finding it so far? It looks like a lot of fun to me so far but I'm still a bit unsure of how it all works.

At first I thought it was a case of, you create your Pirate, get your ship, sail off to places and obtain more loot so that you can afford to upgrade, get a bigger ship, go further out to sea etc.

But it looks more like you choose a new pirate etc each time and if your ship is sunk then you lose everything and that's it? Just start again...

It still looks like a lot of fun, loads of Rare charm to the characters and the combat certainly looks spot-on. :D

Did you have your book posted yet btw? Mine shipped yesterday from Amazon, hopefully you ordered from there as well because they lowered the price down to £16 before it shipped! :o

It will be nice to read through me Pirate manual when it arrives, arg!

2 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

It's a shame that we didn't get to play at being pirates together yesterday @Kaepora_Gaebora but hopefully we will yet at some point. :)

Anyway, how are you finding it so far? It looks like a lot of fun to me so far but I'm still a bit unsure of how it all works.

At first I thought it was a case of, you create your Pirate, get your ship, sail off to places and obtain more loot so that you can afford to upgrade, get a bigger ship, go further out to sea etc.

But it looks more like you choose a new pirate etc each time and if your ship is sunk then you lose everything and that's it? Just start again...

It still looks like a lot of fun, loads of Rare charm to the characters and the combat certainly looks spot-on. :D

Did you have your book posted yet btw? Mine shipped yesterday from Amazon, hopefully you ordered from there as well because they lowered the price down to £16 before it shipped! :o

It will be nice to read through me Pirate manual when it arrives, arg!

Haha I know, I was in bed by the time you were on, I think! 

Not quite, you lose the loot that was on board but you just respawn at the ship again, same pirate you chose at the start too and you keep any XP or coins you'd already earned! Speaking of which...

Worried about how Rare will come back from the start the games had. I signed up to the official forums there and the last two days it's just been negative post after negative post about how people aren't getting the xp and coins they are earning in game. It's happened to me now too; yesterday it did but I'd end up getting everything I'd earned in the next play session. However last night I did alot of gold hoarder missions, handed in a captains treasure chest too which is worth a lot, and even this morning nothing has been added.

If I'd paid £50 for this I'd be livid, as it is I'm just thinking of not playing it again until its sorted out properly; personally I can deal with a few graphical glitches or things of that nature, but when I'm putting my free time into the game and I'm not getting the rewards or progression I should, that really turns me off.

Ah the book, I actually tried to cancel it yesterday as it still hasn't shipped by midday; when I pressed the button to cancel I was told I couldn't as it was being prepped, and apparently it's on it way today, so we'll see! And yes got the Amazon discount :)

• Thanks 1

Tried playing for abit this morning, my shovel disappeared from my inventory when my object was to dig up treasure chests...I'm going to let the dust settles before I play it again, maybe wait til the weekend see if any issues have been ironed out by then!

Still, I'll have my book soon...

• Weird 1

2 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Tried playing for abit this morning, my shovel disappeared from my inventory when my object was to dig up treasure chests...I'm going to let the dust settles before I play it again, maybe wait til the weekend see if any issues have been ironed out by then!

Still, I'll have my book soon...

The issues you described in your previous post seem to be happening across the board. I was reading the Era thread last night and this morning and people are losing gear and getting disconnected left and right. Despite all of the beta testing, it seems the servers are a mess at the moment. This is always the danger when launching an always online game and it's important that Rare get things sorted ASAP, as well as keeping the community informed about what is going on. These types of games can die very early on if things aren't sorted fast.

Yes... it sounds like we may have to postpone our career as Pirates for a few moons.

For some reason, I don't think I had factored in that this game is online online with no way to play it offline at all, unless it was announced ages ago and I forgot. :p

So yes, you're right Adam, if they don't get this game sorted out soon then the sales may well end up walking the plank, especially as many will have only tried the game on Game Pass.

I really hope this doesn't turn into an angry sea which could end up swallowing the good ship Rare with it, I doubt that will happen what with how much Microsoft paid for them but you never know. :(

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The issues you described in your previous post seem to be happening across the board. I was reading the Era thread last night and this morning and people are losing gear and getting disconnected left and right. Despite all of the beta testing, it seems the servers are a mess at the moment. This is always the danger when launching an always online game and it's important that Rare get things sorted ASAP, as well as keeping the community informed about what is going on. These types of games can die very early on if things aren't sorted fast.

Yeah, if they haven't sorted it out by the weekend it could be a disaster all round for MS and more worryingly Rare.

The amount of stories of people losing hundreds of chests worth of treasure and XP...it's difficult to know how they are going to fix it if it isn't all "backed up" and just waiting to be unlocked in people's games, if it's disappeared completely that'll be a nightmare.

I was reading last night that apparently the roll out got sabotaged when loads of people from the West used VPN's to gain access to the New Zealand and Australia launch, so they've been playing catch up ever since. Still, surely you'd be ready for this? As you say all that beta testing and, not to be facetious, but this is the first big first party game for a long time, it's hard to know how they've buckled under the strain!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

True, these be uncharted waters for Rare though.

An online only Pirate game, so many variables to take into account... it almost makes me wish they had made it as an offline adventure first and then added in an online mode.

I know they have wanted to make a Pirate game for a long time, so to see this go under the waves would be very sad indeed. :( (I'll stop with the Pirate puns now but it's true enough)

*sigh* At least we'll always have Rare Replay.

Please don't stop with the puns, Sam :p

Well the book just arrived...

Looks bloody beautiful and the design is really well put together too. At least that's turned out well! 

• Haha 1

Genuinely astounded that the HEAD OF RARE and the creative director have taken the time to make this video to go through all the issues currently effecting the game.

Not sure I've seen such transparency from a developer, especially as I'm used to them burying their heads in the sand when issues like what we've seen arise.

Fair play to Rare, you've won me back over!

The choice headlines from it are; 

- At one point about 5000 people per minute were trying to get into a game

- approx 1 million unique users have played the game in the first 48 hours.

Wow!

Edited by Kaepora_Gaebora
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A lot of reviews have been brutal for the game. It's not only the online issues that are taking flak but the lack of content. Many are questioning just what have Rare been doing for these past 4 years. This first month is going to be key in getting players to stick around.

12 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

The choice headlines from it are; 

- At one point about 5000 people per minute were trying to get into a game

- approx 1 million unique users have played the game in the first 48 hours.

Wow!

I can honestly see this kind of thing being touted by Microsoft when it comes to their future games, as well. With all their games now launching on Gamepass it's going to blur the numbers a lot. To be honest, it probably would have been better not to have the game on Gamepass from the start, as that could be why the servers are struggling. 

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A lot of reviews have been brutal for the game. It's not only the online issues that are taking flak but the lack of content. Many are questioning just what have Rare been doing for these past 4 years. This first month is going to be key in getting players to stick around.

I can honestly see this kind of thing being touted by Microsoft when it comes to their future games, as well. With all their games now launching on Gamepass it's going to blur the numbers a lot. To be honest, it probably would have been better not to have the game on Gamepass from the start, as that could be why the servers are struggling. 

Yeah, unless the end game is going to turn the game on its head, it looks like the rinse and repeat formula with an ocean setting is about as good as it'll get.

I've found something quite relaxing about sailing around, but when you then have to chase after chickens in a frustrating manner...well, I won't give up on the game just yet; I did dip back in yesterday not to do any quests but just to sail around and saw a Kraken fight happening. I beached my ship watching it, tried to patch up and unwittingly crashed into another island, patched up again and by the time I'd done that...the Kraken had been bested! 

Not that my one man vessel would have been much use, but I'd have liked to see it up close.

Game Pass will be the best and worst thing for this game; best as so many people have tried it, worst as not many will continue like they might have after paying £50 or so.

The whole lack of content thing... I worry for Rare now :(

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

The whole lack of content thing... I worry for Rare now :(

Same. I'll be gutted if this is the end for them.

To be honest, they never really sold me on the game and it's a feeling I have heard/read from many other gamers, as well. The questions "What do you actually do?" and "What kind of content will there be?" have been asked many times during the development of the game, with neither really getting a straight answer. It seemed like the game was made for a very specific audience ( streamers ) and that was it. I was so hoping that the game would have turned out to be something special as I would have snapped up another Xbox in order to play it. As it stands, it looks like Rare have a tough road ahead of them to convince people to invest their time and money into a game they have spent 4 years creating.