NEurope
Cube

Sea of Thieves (XBO/PC) - New Rare game

1 hour ago, Kav said:

The biggest thing putting me off picking it up is Monster Hunter... splitting what little game-time I have isn’t something I want to do when I want to hunt all the time! Haha

Aye, still haven't picked Monster Hunter up yet; getting to the stage now where if I do, there's not much point bothering with Sea of Thieves even if it is free. As I've got this far, might wait til Monster Hunter sees a big drop in price before picking it up.

I've ordered the Official Lore book that's releasing on launch day for this; it's written by former N64 magazine writer Paul Davies (think he had long hair back in the day) and, from the official podcasts I've been listening to, it seems like a lot of the content that is hinted at in the game is actually fleshed out in it.

Sounds a bit like BOTW in that respect, though rather than find the info buried within the game, you only have to fork out another £25 for it...

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I've ordered the Official Lore book that's releasing on launch day for this; it's written by former N64 magazine writer Paul Davies (think he had long hair back in the day) and, from the official podcasts I've been listening to, it seems like a lot of the content that is hinted at in the game is actually fleshed out in it.

Sounds a bit like BOTW in that respect, though rather than find the info buried within the game, you only have to fork out another £25 for it...

Good shout! :D

I've ordered it as well, it looks like a pretty substantial tome. :)

Also, I just checked and guess when my next booked holiday is... yep, it covers the launch of Sea of Thieves. (booked it over a year ago too without realising) ;)

We really do need to get an N-E crew together. :peace:

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

Good shout! :D

I've ordered it as well, it looks like a pretty substantial tome. :)

Also, I just checked and guess when my next booked holiday is... yep, it covers the launch of Sea of Thieves. (booked it over a year ago too without realising) ;)

We really do need to get an N-E crew together. :peace:

Think I said this in the Xbox One thread, but at the mo I've got the day off work and I'm hoping my parents will have my son; if so I'll be on all day and streaming too, so that's two of us...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cube said:

@Kaepora_Gaebora, want to try and team up at some point over the weekend?

I could potentially be on later this evening (currently on now but heading out at 11) so that could be good fun if we can get on, won't be able to chat though :(

Have you played much at all? I'm having fun but...I can't work out how to complete a voyage, or even clues as to where I even need to start! I've just been finding washed up bottles and finding treasure from that, so if you have any idea let me know! 😂

I've played a fair amount. For voyages you have to 

- get one from the quest giver

- Put it on the captains table

- Vote for it

- Look at the map(s) in the RB menu

- Find chest(s)

- Then take chests back to an outpost.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Cube said:

I've played a fair amount. For voyages you have to 

- get one from the quest giver

- Put it on the captains table

- Vote for it

- Look at the map(s) in the RB menu

- Find chest(s)

- Then take chests back to an outpost.

Yeah I went on the official forums, as I'm on my own I didn't realise I still had to vote to do a voyage!! Just done the basic one now :)

What are your thoughts on the game? I feel like it has potential to be incredible, yes I got stuck working out a quest 😂 however the lack of hand holding and having to study and work out maps yourself is an absolute breath of fresh air, I love it!

So I've had three decent play sessions on this over the weekend, and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

The lack of hand holding, in this day and age, feels completely alien but also suits the nature of this game down to a tee. You are free to sail the seas however you see fit and learning things yourself helps them "stick" alot better than a tutorial video or explanation, although it wouldn't work in every game.

The beta test was limited in terms of the voyages you could go on, it was all gold/treasure chest locating and digging up. But as well as being a scale test for Rare themselves, it certainly felt like a trial for me as well, getting me used to sailing the seas and how to operate the ship. 

I played alone on all my voyages; I can see why this game could be amazing with 4 friends but, having been more a single player campaign type player since the days of getting 007 level editor mode on GoldenEye yet being unable to compete in multiplayer, I really enjoyed running the ship myself and having these sea voyages on my own. Whether the sun was beaming onto a calm water as I sailed to my next location, or I had dropped anchor mid storm and was desperately patching holes in the hull and shipping water out from the lower deck to stop myself and my 5 chests sinking, it was a surprisingly fun solo experience.

That being said, I imagine some epic four crew adventures would be even better, everyone has their job on the boat, one man waiting behind while the others gather the loot...could be lots of fun!

More content is needed but not only was this beta, I'm generally a positive person and I imagine Rare have plenty up their sleeves in terms of what will be available at launch and beyond. Speaking of Rare, everything from the music to the characters to the design absolutely reeks of them; I thought most of the old team would have left (in fact I'm sure they have...) But it has that unmistakable Rare feel to it. Hopefully the final game has that unmistakable Rare quality we have been used to in the past.

• Thanks 1

Stumbled in here wondering if anyone at all was bothering with this...look what I found...shipmates galore. Add me on Xbox flameboyNE

• Thanks 1

Another scale test this weekend, started 15 minutes ago and ends on Sunday morning.

Not sure I'll go back in as it's just the same as last few ones...I don't want to "spoil" the game when it comes out by having done too much in a mode where it won't carry over. Hopefully we get a full beta before it releases!

Public beta is up and open to everyone this weekend. Managed to get in yesterday (on PC), but today the servers seem to be full. Hopefully they will fix this by tonight, so I will actually be able to test the game before it releases.

• Thanks 1

I had a try this morning. I like the game but it’s definitely one I’d only be able to play with friends. I tried with random matchmaking and it just wasn’t fun.

Missed the open beta :angry: it ended early Sunday morning (5am here) I was still at work. 

Ah well, price drop game maybe. 

Just pre-ordered the game (yeah, I know. Shoot me), and I'm gonna be playing this with my mates this weekend during our easter PC-LAN. Looking forward to wreaking havoc on the sea, seeing as me and a buddy made short work of full ships with 4 people last beta round. I had a really good time with the beta, and I'm looking forward to the final game now, but I can't seem to stop thinking this will be a game that will have a great launch, and then just bomb. I dunno, I hope Rare has some amazing content coming in the near future. 

If anyone wants to see what the game is like and all about, I'll hopefully be streaming this today on Mixer; this morning should be with a bit of chat potentially, and then this afternoon with video as well so you can see every facial reaction to every bloody moment.

Anyway, I'll post the link in here when I'm going live if anyone does :)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Right, I'm going to go live with microphone now (so you'll hear the occasional calls of "THEO WHAT ARE YOU UP TO NOW?") here: 

I'm broadcasting on Mixer now! Check it out: https://mixer.com/Jonsense

Wait, is this THE fabled day off? :o I have to admit, I received the game in the post and hadn't had a chance to unseal it yet. :sad:

Did you get a baby-sitter in the end and have the whole day to play Sea of Thieves as planned?

If you're going to be playing for most of the day then I will definitely try and make the effort to get online, probably later on though. (Nintendo would choose to have a Nindie Direct on Sea of Thieves release day wouldn't they...) :rolleyes:

Right, that settles that then... I've got some sorting out to do today, currently there are amiibo on top of my Xbox One... :blank: it seems to have accidentally become a display stand for them while I was moving things around the room (I wish I was kidding) but I'm going to put them in a box, dust off the console, update it, update the controller, install the game, update the game, try to start it, update it again and then I should be ready to play! :D

3 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Right, that settles that then... I've got some sorting out to do today, currently there are amiibo on top of my Xbox One... :blank: it seems to have accidentally become a display stand for them while I was moving things around the room (I wish I was kidding) but I'm going to put them in a box, dust off the console, update it, update the controller, install the game, update the game, try to start it, update it again and then I should be ready to play! :D

So you'll be playing it next Wednesday? :D 

• Haha 5

If any one did watch and it was just silence, apologies, my lad fell asleep about 40 mins into it so had to shut up quick sharp! 

@S.C.G I've got the afternoon to myself, hopefully a few hours at least if you're about before the nindie show case?

16 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

If any one did watch and it was just silence, apologies, my lad fell asleep about 40 mins into it so had to shut up quick sharp! 

@S.C.G I've got the afternoon to myself, hopefully a few hours at least if you're about before the nindie show case?

I can probably play after lunch, so that will be probably 2PM or so until just before 4PM... not the greatest amount of time but, it's something. :)

Is there a possibility you might be playing in the evening as well?

Edit - The amiibo's have been dethroned, and the console is updating... all 3.4GB's of it. :blank:

Edited by S.C.G

12 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I can probably play after lunch, so that will be probably 2PM or so until just before 4PM... not the greatest amount of time but, it's something. :)

Is there a possibility you might be playing in the evening as well?

Edit - The amiibo's have been dethroned, and the console is updating... all 3.4GB's of it. :blank:

Yeah that would probably suit me quite well...provided you can get updated and installed by then :p