NEurope
Cube

Sea of Thieves (XBO/PC) - New Rare game

Glad to see Rare making new games but I'm not sold on its concept. Hope this is the first of many and that they are given the licence to make new stuff.

Doesn't feel like a Rare game at all. But then when Rare are a different company now I guess that's to be expected.

Reminded me of that Gamecube game Galleon with art style.

Looks fantastic and piratey. I kind of yearned for a Black Flag 2, so this looks like it might suffice.

Looks fantastic and piratey. I kind of yearned for a Black Flag 2, so this looks like it might suffice.

They made a Black Flag 2. It was called Rogue.

Looked uninteresting to me, cute but ultimately meh. I'm not up for a shared world adventure game either though.

It's nice to see Microsoft acknowledging the PC as a gaming platform for once. I was pretty disappointed when I saw the username above the other character's head though. Competitive multiplayer can be fun, but anything that requires co-operation with a bunch of other people isn't all that great unless you have a group of friends who are into this sort of thing, or the game is extremely mission oriented, and everyone is clear on what they're supposed to be doing. I really can't see exploration working in co-op either, especially with more than a couple of people.

[tweet]874339917815365632[/tweet]

[tweet]874335266793603072[/tweet]

Edited by Kav

Think this is looking really good. I'll have to get it on PC though as I'm not paying for an Xbox Live subscription for just one game.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm looking for someone to play Sea of Thieves open beta with. With mic of course since this game kind of depends on it with the multiplayer.

GT: Adrian DX

And again sorry to bump and sorry if LFG stuff isn't cool.

5 minutes ago, Adrian DX said:

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm looking for someone to play Sea of Thieves open beta with. With mic of course since this game kind of depends on it with the multiplayer.

GT: Adrian DX

And again sorry to bump and sorry if LFG stuff isn't cool.

Nah man, LFG stuff typically is fine. (At times that was all the Destiny thread was). 

I don’t have the beta and various other issues with playing (time zones and out of town this weekend). Also, you may generate a bit more interest (well views rather than interest) in the official Xbox One thread. 

Lots of previews of the game coming out this week; all sounds like it has the potential to be something very, very special.

Downsides for me will be currently having no one else planning on picking the game up, and limited voice chat options, especially in the evenings.

Still, with my game pass free trial I'll get this on launch and test it out, see if having those limitations spoils/hinders it in any way. Perhaps I'll play the whole game as a lone pirate on purpose!

I hope this works for Rare, it's probably got to be their last throw of the dice before they are permanently put in charge of avatars and kinect like games in obscurity forever should it sink.

50 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Lots of previews of the game coming out this week; all sounds like it has the potential to be something very, very special.

Downsides for me will be currently having no one else planning on picking the game up, and limited voice chat options, especially in the evenings.

Still, with my game pass free trial I'll get this on launch and test it out, see if having those limitations spoils/hinders it in any way. Perhaps I'll play the whole game as a lone pirate on purpose!

I hope this works for Rare, it's probably got to be their last throw of the dice before they are permanently put in charge of avatars and kinect like games in obscurity forever should it sink.

I'm still not sure what to make of the game. I think it has potential to capture a certain audience but without having a single player component I think the game will lose a lot of sales. I do fear for Rare, though. The game has been in development for a long time and if it fails to meet the expectations of Microsoft then they could be in trouble.

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm still not sure what to make of the game. I think it has potential to capture a certain audience but without having a single player component I think the game will lose a lot of sales. I do fear for Rare, though. The game has been in development for a long time and if it fails to meet the expectations of Microsoft then they could be in trouble.

I think Game pass could be the saving grace for the game, I wonder if Microsoft made the decision through fear themselves or because it'll boost subscriptions?

Either way it's worked on me, I think like you say alot of people are a bit unsure just exactly what it'll play like, so being able to try for free /£7.99 for the month will encourage a lot more players to take a chance. I certainly wouldn't be dropping £50 on it at launch.

Do you still have an Xbox One? If so think you'll at least try it out?

Just now, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I think Game pass could be the saving grace for the game, I wonder if Microsoft made the decision through fear themselves or because it'll boost subscriptions?

Either way it's worked on me, I think like you say alot of people are a bit unsure just exactly what it'll play like, so being able to try for free /£7.99 for the month will encourage a lot more players to take a chance. I certainly wouldn't be dropping £50 on it at launch.

Do you still have an Xbox One? If so think you'll at least try it out?

Yeah, I think Game Pass could be a great thing for them. It's something I can see doing really well for Microsoft.

Nah, I sold it early last year. I have been tempted to pick up a X model once I get a new TV. The biggest draw for me has been Microsoft's backwards compatible efforts, which have been absolutely fantastic. I look forward to seeing what other original Xbox games end up on the service. Being able to play original, 360 and One games all on one console is very appealing, even if I do absolutely detest the UI.

It would be great if there were enough of us to get together a fleet and to rule the waves with an N-E Armada!

The game looks amazing, there’s a part of me that’s dying to get it, although I don’t get much game-time these days.

• Thanks 1

Well, I'm buying it on day one, physical copy too and will gladly sail the seas with anyone on here who wants to be part of the N-E crew. :D

I might sign up to Game Pass as you can get this game on PC for it. I didn't play the beta for much as it didn't seem to add much over the alpha.

I think crews are limited to four people max (sure I read that somewhere) so wouldn't take much to get a few of us all together...if enough of us owned the game :p

All these I impressions seem to be saying you will have the most fun from it playing with people you know and making stories that way, can but dream! 

Wouldn't you have to buy an Xbox as well, @Kav?

25 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

It's on PC and is cross-play.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I think crews are limited to four people max (sure I read that somewhere) so wouldn't take much to get a few of us all together...if enough of us owned the game :p

All these I impressions seem to be saying you will have the most fun from it playing with people you know and making stories that way, can but dream! 

The Mrs’ son has one, so I just have to create an account! :D

Funnily enough, the Mrs saw a video of the game I had shared and thought it looked good, even she wants to play it and she’s not a gamer at all. Haha

24 minutes ago, Kav said:

The Mrs’ son has one, so I just have to create an account! :D

Funnily enough, the Mrs saw a video of the game I had shared and thought it looked good, even she wants to play it and she’s not a gamer at all. Haha

There was ludicrous talk in our house of getting a second Xbox and TV so we could play together in the evenings when the little one is asleep...think that's gone by the way side, likewise though my Mrs was very keen on the game when she saw it and I told her what it's all about.

Must be why they like us, couple of roguish pirates such as ourselves...

• Haha 1

The biggest thing putting me off picking it up is Monster Hunter... splitting what little game-time I have isn’t something I want to do when I want to hunt all the time! Haha