NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Metroid Prime: Federation Force (3DS)

I think I wouldn't mind so much if this was called Metroid; Federation Force. Metroid due to the breadth of titles we already seen in the series Prime (with Hunters as a solid offshoot of that from what I understand), Other M would perhaps fit that. However this is simply not a Prime in any way other than it's first person (is that enough?).

Reggie seems horribly misguided in his defense of the game;

Here's what I would state: we know what our fans want. We will also push the envelope in developing something that we know is high-quality and that we know will deliver in the marketplace. The best example I can give you of this, and I think you will appreciate it, is Legend of Zelda Wind Waker. Remember when that art style was first shown. The uproar from the Zelda community was intensely negative. If there had been social media then, there probably would have been a petition to make that game go away.

I don't think that the art style is the only issue here. At it's core Wind Waker was still a Zelda game. This really isn't a Metroid Prime game, our first look at it was as some weird gun football/soccer hybrid. As I think I said here or maybe it was the Starfox thread...I'm all for games that diversify a franchise but it needs to be in meaningful ways and for me this isn't it. It loses the spirit of what makes a Metroid Prime game that series.

I really feel sorry for Next Level Games in all this, they are a quality developer who have shown the talent to take franchises and bring them up to the next level (urgh I just realised what I wrote then), look at Luigi's Mansion 2. Fantastic game that really developed the ideas of the first game across a much more ambitious title. It remains to date one of my favourite 3DS games.

Yeah, I feel Next Level Games are gonna come off the worst in all of this. As you said, they are a quality developer and deserve success. Punch-Out, Mario Strikers, Luigis Mansion 2, all quality games.

Still, it's early days and it will be interesting to see how this will look closer to the release.

CANCEL METROID FEDERATION FORCE IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!! - Mega64

Unseen64 has done a video about Metroid Dread, Federation Force and Prime Hunters

I loved the look of this game during E3, during their Nintendo Treehouse sections. And now, I'm loving this even more. Local and Online 4-player 3D squad based shooter, set in the Metroid Universe, with a large variety of mission types. Metroid's answer to 4 swords. This looks to be so much fun, and this is my most anticipated game of the year at the moment. (Until we get more info. on Zelda Wii U that is). Want face.

Yeah, this game looks like it'll be an absolute blast. People just need to get over the visual style and that it doesn't fully involve Samus

Hopefully it features download play. This game looks ideal for StreetPass events, but there is so much of a fan backlash that I don't think many will end up owning it.

Yeah, this game looks like it'll be an absolute blast. People just need to get over the visual style and that it doesn't fully involve Samus

I don't think anyone is going to get over the visual style. The game looks terrible. The idea of playing as a federation trooper in a squad is actually pretty good, a bit like Halo ODST, a slightly different take on the universe. The idea that where Samus would have dealt with a threat alone, a squad of federation troops is needed is also good. So they have set the stage for a squad based online shooter in a universe we all know and love... Then they wrap it up in a way that makes it look childish, silly and nothing like Metroid. It makes you wonder what on earth is going on at Nintendo when they don't even understand their own franchises anymore. Little fat federation troopers fighting cute little squat space pirates in a neon world, how on earth is this Metroid? The game has so much hate being aimed at it, and rightfully so, hopefully the reaction will make Nintendo realise what people want from a Metroid game.

Hopefully it features download play. This game looks ideal for StreetPass events, but there is so much of a fan backlash that I don't think many will end up owning it.

Yeah, I hope so too...

Luigi's Mansion 2 did; which was very impressive considering how fully featured its multiplayer mode was, but I get the feeling that they won't be able to do it this time...

Before the Direct I wasn't going to pick this game up but after it I'm fully intending to. Using Blast Ball to introduce the game last year was a really bad idea.

Yes the art style isn't exactly Metroid but by doing stylised visuals it means you don't focus on how technically weak the 3DS is getting.

As someone who considers Super Metroid to be in the top 5 games ever... Where's my Metroid Dread??!?!

I'm not keen on the mech designs (they look a bit too chunky for my taste) but that's nitpciking for sure and obviously limited by the hardware. Maybe they'll slim them down a bit just for me (is that "fattist"?).

I think the overall design looks great for 3DS. I'm concerned by the one posted by @Retro_Link it's pretty sparce, hoping that's an early turotial style of level. Granted, we've not seen many levels but you'd imagine they'd want to show the core crowd some more complex levels and gameplay.

Anyone else actually a bit disappointed that they've shoehorned Samus in (though, we don't know how, it maight make perfect sense..). Samus' battles against the Space Pirates can only be a snapshot of the wider story, I feel they could a larger universe with these characters; Marvel it up somewhat. Maybe the way to go with this was to drop the Metroid name totally but link it to the wider universe?

My fear is that, once again, this will live or die by Nintendo's online policies and infrastructure; the (cenceptually brilliant) online mode in Luigi's Mansion was fluffed by needing to preplan sessions, not enabling dropin/drop out gameplay and i'm not convinced NLG have the clout to convince it's Japanese partners to do anything else (or they'd have done it for Luigi, surely..?).

My fear is that, once again, this will live or die by Nintendo's online policies and infrastructure; the (cenceptually brilliant) online mode in Luigi's Mansion was fluffed by needing to preplan sessions, not enabling dropin/drop out gameplay and i'm not convinced NLG have the clout to convince it's Japanese partners to do anything else (or they'd have done it for Luigi, surely..?).

Yeah, I'm not hopeful either, which is s shame as I do love my online co-op games.

You just have to look at what a bust Triforce Heroes was on here. It's a great little game but is hindered by Nintendos ridiculous online practices.

Anyone else actually a bit disappointed that they've shoehorned Samus in (though, we don't know how, it maight make perfect sense..). Samus' battles against the Space Pirates can only be a snapshot of the wider story, I feel they could a larger universe with these characters; Marvel it up somewhat. Maybe the way to go with this was to drop the Metroid name totally but link it to the wider universe?

This is something I've always wanted for the Metroid series. Yes Samus is the main player in the series but there's so much potential in the world. It needs to be explored from a different point of view.

I think the overall design looks great for 3DS. I'm concerned by the one posted by @Retro_Link it's pretty sparce, hoping that's an early turotial style of level. Granted, we've not seen many levels but you'd imagine they'd want to show the core crowd some more complex levels and gameplay.
That video is level 3 in the game.

If you watch this video from 2:00, that's level 16 in the game and a very different mission type...

I don't think anyone is going to get over the visual style. The game looks terrible. The idea of playing as a federation trooper in a squad is actually pretty good, a bit like Halo ODST, a slightly different take on the universe. The idea that where Samus would have dealt with a threat alone, a squad of federation troops is needed is also good. So they have set the stage for a squad based online shooter in a universe we all know and love... Then they wrap it up in a way that makes it look childish, silly and nothing like Metroid. It makes you wonder what on earth is going on at Nintendo when they don't even understand their own franchises anymore. Little fat federation troopers fighting cute little squat space pirates in a neon world, how on earth is this Metroid? The game has so much hate being aimed at it, and rightfully so, hopefully the reaction will make Nintendo realise what people want from a Metroid game.

This. This post is exactly what my thoughts are.

I agree with Zechs that people won't get over the visuals, they are awful! One look at Monster Hunter Generations and you see what they could've done with the game!

Also, that it lacks Samus doesn't mean that's the reason we're hating on it. Since even before the Wii we were dreaming of a game like Zechs describes above...

SR388

SR388BoxArt.jpg

A traditonal FPS, SR388 follows the Federation's battle against the Space Pirates for the domination of the Planet SR338. Lots of shooting, co op play online and one of the best online deathmatches you'll find

An online game for Revolution, intended to grow in size along with the revolution's userbase. An online first-person shooter/rpg involving cooperative and competative play in an expansive alien environment. Players choose one of 3 races and can form and join various factions which can ally or declare war on each other. A player's progress determines their status within a faction and greater achievements and more experience allow players to climb up the ranks until they can potentially run the faction they are a part of or start up their own. Higher ranking players are encouraged to help newer players and support them in battle and training. Characters are customiseable and a wide selection of training exercises and deathmatch arenas are available for offline play or to help improve an online character.

[idea and picture by Migraine]

From here: http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433&highlight=SR388

...having a FPS spin-off from Metroid about the Federation Soldiers could be good, they could just use Metroid Prime 3's engine.

From here: http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19903&highlight=SR388

This might sound a bit too similar to Halo, I don't know, I haven't played the Halo games much, BUT:

How about an online FPS set in the Metroid universe with players taking the roles of Federation Troopers?

There could be all sorts of scenarios possible against space pirates. War, subterfuge etc...

Have Samus in a cameo where she drops by in her gunship to clear an obstruction for you.

From here: http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6240&highlight=SR388&page=64

We've been dreaming of a game of this ilk for years... but they need to be doing better than Federation Force, they really do!

Edited by Kav

Haha, the first response:

NintendoUK It's not too late to cancel the game and kill it in a fire

Rumours it's been delayed so they can announce a proper Metroid at e3 and tame some of the backlash

Edited by dazzybee

Rumours it's been delayed so they can announce a proper zelda at e3 and tame some of the backlash

You mean a proper Metroid?

I remember reading that this is made for the New 3DS, so is it going to be exclusive to the New 3DS like Xenoblade or will it be playable with some sacrflifices on the old model? It looks like a lot of fun and I can see myself getting it on launch, early September seems like it'll be pretty barren and it'll be a few weeks until I have to start tightening my finances in preparation for the NX launch.