NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Dark Souls III

What's so great about the Dark Sword? I got one and then infused it to make it a Refined Dark Sword. Was that a good idea?

Can someone explain to me how the scaling works? I'm pretty sure I'm not levelling my character up too efficiently.

Giving it a heavy gem gives it strength A scaling on +4 or so and above so it can be a very powerful weapon if you have high strength. Basically it scales to your character - a weapon with no scaling for instance can be more powerful than a weapon with C strength scaling, if you have next to no strength.

The other good thing about it is that it's the only one handed sword with stomp (weapon skill that grants you very high poise so you can power over enemies). The only other weapons that have that are greatswords.

It's funny when you get invaded if you throw an estus blocking item at someone. The mental torture on the person is immediate and causes them to fuck up more than anything else you can do.

Edited by Sheikah

Just managed to go through Road of Sacrifices. Fuck me that was horrifying.

HAHAHAHAHA...haha...ha

There I was, thinking I finished Road of Sacrifices. It was only the first part...

The second part...

GIANT ENEMY CRAB

Jesus Christ. :shakehead

I was able to find a couple of bonfires, but need to explore the watery area a bit more.

Edit: Well, found a boss by accident. Owned its ass :laughing: Also managed to get the Dark Sword. It's a beast.

Edited by drahkon

@The Bard Have you encountered that bullshit they've repeated from the original Dark Souls, by which I mean the sheer-drop walkways guarded by archers? It seems so doable, but then I cri evry tiem.

Edit: did it lul. Bullshit has definitely been toned down slightly

Yeah I did it, and was fucking stunned when I got up the spiral stairwell. And then cried. The archers seem more doable this time around, for one their shots don't converge on you, and there are hiding spots in place to protect you from each one of them. Tell me you found the hidden wall with the two fuck off lizards ready to ruin your shit down the massive ladder?

Trapped between two bosses at the moment. Might farm some souls to up my dex, out of materials to upgrade the Katana past +7

Farron Keep is annoying :laughing:

Managed to find two bonfires in that area and I did a fair amount of exploring but there's still so much I haven't looked into in that swamp...fucking poison.

Think I'll take a detour to the Cathedral of the Deep as I've reached the first bonfire there, too.

Yeah I did it, and was fucking stunned when I got up the spiral stairwell. And then cried. The archers seem more doable this time around, for one their shots don't converge on you, and there are hiding spots in place to protect you from each one of them. Tell me you found the hidden wall with the two fuck off lizards ready to ruin your shit down the massive ladder?

Yeah, I noped out at that point having scraped through a phantom-aided fight with one of them earlier in Irithyll.

Farron Keep is annoying :laughing:

Managed to find two bonfires in that area and I did a fair amount of exploring but there's still so much I haven't looked into in that swamp...fucking poison.

Think I'll take a detour to the Cathedral of the Deep as I've reached the first bonfire there, too.

Yeah it's a pain in the arse, but the loot is worth it. Bring a bow with you next time so you can aggro the feral dogs from a safe platform, and maybe equip some decent pyromancies for the magic tree bastards. You know the ones I mean - I managed to deal with them by luring them out to the stone tower (which houses 8 chunder-slugs) and playing Ring a Ring o' Roses with them, but with added fireball. If you were keen to get the Dark Sword, there is a hostile NPC in the Farron Keep area who drops one. At least he did for me, I kind of happened on it unexpectedly.

Pro-tip: if you have any dual-wield dagger weapons, equip them so that you have one in each hand (i.e. equivalent of double-handing a single weapon) and use the L2 ability to boost through the swamp. The move uses FP, but it enables you to plough through the swamp without any movement penalty. Don't worry about running out of FP when doing so either, because you'll still be able to use it with adequate regularity when the bar is depleted - it doesn't fully deplete.

Edited by dwarf
Automerged Doublepost

Yeah it's a pain in the arse, but the loot is worth it. Bring a bow with you

I always have a bow with me :D It made a couple of fights much easier.

I think I have gathered all the loot. Killed every enemy and got some cool items. Man, that giant crab was a pain...

If you were keen to get the Dark Sword, there is a hostile NPC in the Farron Keep area who drops one.

Yeah, that NPC dropped one for me, too. But I already had one, so...::shrug:

Pro-tip: if you have any dual-wield dagger weapons, equip them so that you have one in each hand (i.e. equivalent of double-handing a single weapon) and use the L2 ability to boost through the swamp

This made things so much smoother. :bowdown:

I think I've found the next boss, at least all the messages in front of the door point towards a strong enemy :laughing:

I killed the Dancer last night – fuck that boss btw – and upgraded my Refined Dark Sword to +6. I've got to decide between exploring the bit behind that boss or searching through the castle.

Anyone got any tips as to how I should be levelling my character? So I'm upping Strength (27) and Dexterity (22) but I'm not really sure where I should be with everything else including Vigor (17?) and Endurance (15?).

I think I might run a sorcerer next time. Just to mix it up.

You can play stats like vigor and endurance by ear, whereas the other stats that relate to specific equipment/buffs it's good to do homework on and plan your levels in bulk (e.g. only raising attunement when you have a few levels' worth of souls, due to the fact you only get an additional spell slot after multiple level upgrades). I've recently found that I'm getting stunlocked by higher level enemies, so extra endurance would be a good idea for me.

Invading people as a mad phantom is funny shit. Was doing it before the Pontiff boss and killing people even when it was 3 on 1.

People really just don't expect the anti-estus flask. Given you're usually outnumbered now when you invade, it reaaally help.s

Do you use the estoc?

Haha, the estus block animation is hilarious. I'm not even good at PVP, but it's immensely enjoyable ruining someone's day

Edited by dwarf

Finished Cathedral of the Deep just now. Was the boss supposed to be this easy? I was just slashing away at "it", I didn't get hit once and boom...done. :blank:

Yeah I didn't understand that fight either. If it took place in a confined space I might've understood, but as it was you could pop to the other side of the hall for a cup of tea and return at your leisure.

Yeah, and with the Spear that regens health on kills it was hilaaaariously easy.

Managed to beat the boss in Farron Keep. What an incredible fight.

Now I have two new areas to explore. Dis game :D

Edit: This happened...

Edited by drahkon

The other good thing about it is that it's the only one handed sword with stomp (weapon skill that grants you very high poise so you can power over enemies). The only other weapons that have that are greatswords.

But, poise apparently does nothing at the moment.

Invading people at the Profaned Capital is the most fun I've had playing this. Earlier I managed to drop-strike a phantom from one ledge, kick him off a second ledge, and somehow land a strike as he fell, with the fall damage finishing him off. Other times I've lured phantoms towards the Hand enemies who've then been 'eaten' (they've been peckish for me too, so that made me look like a mug once).

Nothing beats this game for trolling.

Edit - this isn't even the region I'm talking about, but I almost managed something pretty special. Fucked up the plunge, but worth it for the host soiling himself:

Edited by dwarf

Finished Smouldering Lake this morning. Well, "finished". I've beaten the boss and acquired several items/weapons/etc, but I'm pretty sure there's still some loot left.

Don't want to get back there soon, though.

Irithyll is next on the list.

Managed to beat the boss in Farron Keep. What an incredible fight.

Now I have two new areas to explore. Dis game :D

Edit: This happened...

I've seen that guy walk off that edge, to his death, while nowhere near him on the other bridge. I hadn't even engaged him at any point. Just strolled off. Super weird but I'll take the souls.

Dancer of the Boreal Valley is just the dopest Boss design/ animation set I've ever seen. The move where she ignites her finger and strikes the floor is too cool.

Currently halfway through both Grand Archives and Archdragon Peak. Peak's a pretty nifty place to farm souls because there's this sorcerer that keeps respawning knights that give 4000 souls and take about three hits to kill.

What's everyone's vitality at? (That's the equipment load one, right?) because I've been running round half the game with burdened by a 70%+ equipment load. I didn't even notice.

You didn't notice you were rolling around like a crippled bison? Get yourself a Havel's Ring.

@Daft Get yourself to Untended Graves and beat Champion Gundyr, use his soul to make Prisoner's Chain which gives you a massive buff to Vig. Vit. End. The one caveat is that it increases damage taken by 10%, which is an effect you can completely offset by equipping Ring of Steel Protection which ups defense by 10%. Add Havel's ring to that and you should be able to equip some some fucking swole ass hench armour sets while still being able to roll dodge at regular speed. Ps. Havel's ring is transposed from soul of Stray Demon up in Farron Keep.

Progressed through Irithyll, found the Irithyll Dungeon which appears to be "separated" from the main town, i.e. a new area. I found a large gate with a fog wall after opening up several shortcuts in Irithyll, though, so I'll hold off going through the dungeon for now. Will possibly face a boss soon.

You didn't notice you were rolling around like a crippled bison? Get yourself a Havel's Ring.

Welcome to how unobservant I am.

@Daft Get yourself to Untended Graves and beat Champion Gundyr, use his soul to make Prisoner's Chain which gives you a massive buff to Vig. Vit. End. The one caveat is that it increases damage taken by 10%, which is an effect you can completely offset by equipping Ring of Steel Protection which ups defense by 10%. Add Havel's ring to that and you should be able to equip some some fucking swole ass hench armour sets while still being able to roll dodge at regular speed. Ps. Havel's ring is transposed from soul of Stray Demon up in Farron Keep.

I think I have some of these things. I'll work out what I need to do when I'm near my PS4. Cheers!

Found a covenant...

Aldritch Faithful. No idea what the deal is with that covenant but the fight in that room...

Two wolf/crocodile beasts. Fuck me. Even when fought one by one they were hard as shit.

Managed to beat them after several tries, though...

Edit: Oooookaaayyy...Irithyll Dungeon. I shat my pants more than once. Unlocked several shortcuts but haven't found the next area.

Edited by drahkon