NEurope
Ashley

Self-learning

I'm currently trying to teach myself to code for Android apps (or more accurately, I'm currently procrastinating from that by posting this).

That's in combination with trying to learn more about the principals of game design and I would like to go back to learning a (human) language.

But time you know...it's tricky trying to do that on top of having a full-time job (with plenty of overtime), the gym and having some semblance of a life.

Contemplating doing a short course in it, but having started I feel part of the course could then feel boring/redundant so I'm trying to weigh all that up.

And it got me wondering if you guys are self-learning anything and if so why (fun? career aspirations? other?) and what your experiences are like.

Just realised this post almost reads like a really dull poem. I think it's because each paragraph is about the same length.

Self learning Japanese at the moment because I can't afford to have any paid lessons right now. Currently, playing the first cube version of Animal Crossing in Japanese as it helps with my reading skills.

Self learning most things requires time, motivation and practice. (...persistence helps too!)

Edited by sumo73

This reminds me, I was bothering to learn the C language a while back, I ought to retake it.

Also, oddly enough, I'm way more willing to self-learn additional skills when I have an occupation (Job, Uni, etc.) than when I'm free (read: unemployed).

Bought a couple of books to learn Japanese, but I haven't gotten very far. Surprised at how much I have learned though since I'm able to pick up more than I used to.

Self learning Japanese at the moment because I can't afford to have any paid lessons right now. Currently, playing the first cube version of Animal Crossing in Japanese as it helps with my reading skills.

Self learning most things requires time, motivation and practice.

Was think of doing this with either Animal Crossing or Youkai Watch, does it help?

I switched my phone to Italian the other day. Obviously only gives a very small subset of words, but figure it's worth a punt. If for no other reason than learning the Italian for 'retweeted' is 'retweetato'.

Interesting that you mention changing languages of things, my brother and I were playing Alien Resurrection on the Playstation earlier and he decided to set the language to French - just because - but it was interesting to see that the voiced dialogue was also in the selected language as opposed to just having different subtitles; when it comes to saving it turns out that Memory Card is Carte Memoire... I'm sure I knew this before but still, nice to have it reconfirmed. :heh:

As for self-learning, over the years of owning various games and consoles I've taught myself how to make minor repairs to things in addition to cleaning techniques, which is useful if you ever buy anything second-hand like say a controller. I also like to open up cartridges - usually more general titles - just to see, though recently I've been considering actually replacing some of the batteries inside them like the one in my long-dead Pokémon Gameboy games, I've had the batteries to do so for years - still in date until 2022 - but I've just never attempted to replace any; I shall give it a go soon. :)

I love learning! I wish I could learn every language and go to university and stuff. Right now, giving the current situation I'm in, I'm trying to find books on medical stuff like illnesses and how to fix them and whatnot.

Interesting that you mention changing languages of things, my brother and I were playing Alien Resurrection on the Playstation earlier and he decided to set the language to French - just because

I remember back when I had French in school, I did this for Ocarina of Time. "Deku Tree" became "Arbre Mojo" :heh:

Bought a couple of books to learn Japanese, but I haven't gotten very far. Surprised at how much I have learned though since I'm able to pick up more than I used to.

Was think of doing this with either Animal Crossing or Youkai Watch, does it help?

I think it's more useful for practising what you have learnt rather than using video games as a main study aid.

If you're interested there's someone on YouTube under the name 'NihongoGamer' that you might want to check out.

Edited by sumo73

I pretty much SUCK at any major learning of a new subject. I've done the basic basics of python probably about 6 times now - still don't recall it because I always fall off so quickly. I tried for a bit to teach myself a-level D1 maths, I barely made it past the first chapter which was mostly about algorithms/sorting. I tried guitar and that lasted about two weeks. Albeit the guitar thing was when I was like 20/21 but I've generally been badder and badder at it as I've gotten older. I'm a terrible procrastinator and only really tend to do stuff when I've got other things to do instead! Having said that, procrastinating did lead to me teaching myself to solve a rubik's cube(with the internet's help, ofc) instead of revising for my second year exams - so there's one thing I've self-learnt at least!

Having said that I do ofc spend a lot of time on the internet and occasionally read interesting things. I'm more of a slow absorber of little facts and pockets of knowledge like that than a major subject learner. Only time I learn stuff really is when I absolutely have to(so for work, or fixing stuff etc) but that's generally one-off little bits of new things. I'm essentially just a jack of all maybe, but I don't think that's all too bad.

Edited by Rummy

Did an Open University home course in an Introduction to Law, and this year finished my cILEX legal secretary certificate. All in the hopes of getting a better job.

The experience is one of those things which for me was hit and miss. Sometimes I'd be feeling psyched about getting into the studies (which for the latter was pure practice exercises) and other times it felt like a "Urgh, I'm being forced to do this" attitude like what I felt at school. Wednesday was usually the day I'd set aside for a chunk of studying, with plans being a part of a unit a week, however this sometimes became smaller amounts due to not being bothered. So I made up the work during the week.

I doubt this will happen in most other courses, but the "find your own examiner" concept I had to sort out was a bit of a ballache.

I'm happy I passed and I have a qualification to show for it. But at the moment I'm not able to get a relevant job and I can feel the knowledge slipping away, as well as a growing sensation of being pissed off that I've wasted money on these things.

Did an Open University home course in an Introduction to Law, and this year finished my cILEX legal secretary certificate. All in the hopes of getting a better job.

The experience is one of those things which for me was hit and miss. Sometimes I'd be feeling psyched about getting into the studies (which for the latter was pure practice exercises) and other times it felt like a "Urgh, I'm being forced to do this" attitude like what I felt at school. Wednesday was usually the day I'd set aside for a chunk of studying, with plans being a part of a unit a week, however this sometimes became smaller amounts due to not being bothered. So I made up the work during the week.

I doubt this will happen in most other courses, but the "find your own examiner" concept I had to sort out was a bit of a ballache.

I'm happy I passed and I have a qualification to show for it. But at the moment I'm not able to get a relevant job and I can feel the knowledge slipping away, as well as a growing sensation of being pissed off that I've wasted money on these things.

How much did it set you out both time and moneywise? I keep contemplating doing some sort of basic law courses to get a feel for it as I find little bits I keep coming across interesting - but I don't know if I'll get the most out of it without maybe going to actual classes or something.

Six months ago I decided to quit my job and move to Japan to learn Japanese. I`d been trying to learn it for a few years and never really got anywhere on my own, work would get in the way or I`d miss one class to many and the learning would stall. I figured I needed to to something drastic if I was ever going to get better.

Actually being here has been great, the school I`m going to really has taught me a lot of stuff and then getting to use it every day for practice means its come on a long way since I got here. I can understand 90% of non-work stuff now, or at least pick out enough to get the context of a conversation. Speaking is a little more difficult, especially in a group as I can`t pull relevant stuff out quickly enough keep up. One on one isn`t too much of a problem though.

Ultimately I`d like to be able to work only in Japanese but I think that may be a little way off for the time being.

How much did it set you out both time and moneywise? I keep contemplating doing some sort of basic law courses to get a feel for it as I find little bits I keep coming across interesting - but I don't know if I'll get the most out of it without maybe going to actual classes or something.

The Open University thing cost about £450 I think (was awhile back) and I cannot remember for the life of me how long that took/exams etc, whereas the cILEX degree cost around £700 and I did it in about a year, I could've done it quicker but I wanted to retake my audio typing exam. With this course they send you all the materials and you go through them at your own pace, applying for the exams when you're ready. You just have to find someone to watch you.

Six months ago I decided to quit my job and move to Japan to learn Japanese. I`d been trying to learn it for a few years and never really got anywhere on my own' date=' work would get in the way or I`d miss one class to many and the learning would stall. I figured I needed to to something drastic if I was ever going to get better.

Actually being here has been great, the school I`m going to really has taught me a lot of stuff and then getting to use it every day for practice means its come on a long way since I got here. I can understand 90% of non-work stuff now, or at least pick out enough to get the context of a conversation. Speaking is a little more difficult, especially in a group as I can`t pull relevant stuff out quickly enough keep up. One on one isn`t too much of a problem though.

Ultimately I`d like to be able to work only in Japanese but I think that may be a little way off for the time being.[/quote']

I didn't know you left Sega!!

I didn't know you left Sega!!

I didn't manage to in the end. I quit my job but they re-employed me in one of our Tokyo offices part time. Don't think I'll ever get away.

I didn't manage to in the end. I quit my job but they re-employed me in one of our Tokyo offices part time. Don't think I'll ever get away.

Looks like you were wrong :heh:

If anyone is interested, Udemy is doing a sale where (nearly) all courses are £12: https://www.udemy.com/courses/?pm_value=1

I picked up some in a recent similar sale (£8) and working through some. Obviously worth checking them out beforehand, but can be a good way to get some cheap stuff.

That website seems to be trying to sell me bullshit.

"How I earn £1000 a day from udemy" costing £192 to do?! Too much illegitimacy on there to take any of it seriously, surely?

You've obviously got to be careful about which courses you sign up to.

The course I'm on at the moment advertises itself as giving you the opportunity to earn several thousand after a few months or something like that. I ignore all that kind of thing though because the videos are generally useful, well paced & narrated. It's handy to have as a resource, but I'm not treated it as a way to earn money.

I really want to look into the world of free online courses, seems like quite a broad spectrum of options, and i think it'd be fun. Normally doing a course is influenced by career/financial considerations, so i like the idea of being able to choose to learn whatever you want, just cos you want to!

Don't think i've the motivation to do it justice this year though. Am too tired after work, and on my days off am supposed to be studying for an actual official course for my job.

Next year i'll learn something badass. :awesome:

I taught myself HTML, CSS, JavaScript, php, Java for android app development and have been using dualingo for French. That's not to say I taught myself well but I know the basics at least and it looks good on your CV.

Trying to learn French.

Well really I've been trying to learn French for about 4 years. But now my parents are moving as of the 31st July, I really need to get a move on!

Duolingo has been really helpful though, great app to use to start.

I keep meaning to get back into Italian. Duolingo is good, I just don't have much spare time at the moment :(