NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

Tales of Berseria (PS3, PS4)

Pretty much PigMarcher said above,played 15 hours so far and love the characters(except the kid), the darker story, the combat and even the equipment system this time. I like how grade actually has a meaning outside of the grade shop. The more grade you earn in battle the faster you can master skills on your weapons, armour and accessories.

Really like the LE I got too. The two plastic figurines looks nice and detailed, as well does the metal coins of each character. The usual artbook, cd and metal cover is included. At least this time you have an outer paper box to fit both the plastic and metal cover. With Xillia the covers were just taped together so I had one useless empty cover lying around. Also included is 96 page book reminding me of the days when you got huge booklets with your game. It contains the basic with lots of information about story, the characters, friend and foe, basic combat analys and suggestion, every tutorial from the game, a walkthrough of the early game and info of surprisingly many mini games, including a card game.

A physical version? Do they even sell those anymore..

Not all of us are living in the future like you do :rolleyes:. There are still plenty physical games to be found (like this game on PS3 :rolleyes:), I just can't find this game.

Ok, I'm not sure what you're looking for anymore? PC, PS4 or PS3? :p Anyway, I can't find anything about a physical release of Berseria on PC and it looks like PS3 is Japan only.

Edited by Tales

I'm not sure how I feel about the arte system at the moment. I liked it when you had your basic attacks and assigned artes to extra buttons. Now every attack is an arte.

One thing which really confuses me is the soul thing. Using artes etc was so much more efficient when you had an actual figure to work with. Now it's "How much of this diamond do I have left? Wait, I had three now I have two?!" Or three to four, which is naturally better.

Played a bit as Eizel due to his hardcore punching and thingy he does when enemies are downed which I can just spam.

Rokuro not a fan off in combat. Not even going to try Laphicet. Only just got Magilou in my team (The Pascal to this game) but I doubt I'll play as her as she'll just be long range magic

One diamond(soul) is worth 30 points(SG) and you can see in the arte menu how much each arte uses.

I'm mostly just using Velvet, usually stick exclusively to the main character in every game. I tried Eleneor but couldn't figure out how to target healing magic so the team kept dying in dangerous encounters.

Edited by Tales

It would be better if they kept a numerocal figure and maybe kept souls or shizzle as a gauge around it to see an in/decrease.

I do like the difference in motive for Velvet, but once she starts talking about Artorious it's just "yes we get it. You're not a fan"

For those who want the game on PC, you can get it as part of the Tales Bundle on the Humble Store for 45% off for just under 4 days, only discounted as part of the bundle which includes Symphonia and Zestiria

Just got the platinum after 116 hours. Loved the game. One of the best since before Xillia.

As for the plat, it's a lot of grind in the end, even if you work on it while playing the story, although not as bad as Xillia 2 of course. Spent about 80 hours on the first playthrough on Moderate difficulty focusing on Dangerous encounters and did most sidequests then.

I thought I could finish the game this week, but I was surprised to find out it feels like I'm only about 2/3 into it, certainly getting my monies worth.

Watched the start of a Let's Play for this and it looks good. Impressions here seem positive as well, is it worth picking up? might not pick it up for a while though with the Switch just coming out, but might jump on it if it goes on sale.

Watched the start of a Let's Play for this and it looks good. Impressions here seem positive as well, is it worth picking up? might not pick it up for a while though with the Switch just coming out, but might jump on it if it goes on sale.

Its certainly worth it, especially after the disaster that was Tales of Zestiria which almost made me wait for a price drop on this.

That said I will try and get back to finishing Zestiria at some point in the future.

Bump.

I've started playing this one in 2019 but stopped for reasons I can't remember. Now that I've finally got time again for video games, I decided to continue. Spent 2 hours with my save file from the cloud last night. Took me a a little to get into it, but after a few minutes I was back in. I really like Velvet as a main character. She's an ass, only cares about her revenge, kills people/monsters left and right to achieve her goal but also has some humanity left inside of her. Gonna be interesting to see where they're going with her arc :D

My only problem with the game, and quite frankly it's one that could make me stop: It's too easy. Cranked up the difficulty to "hard" (i.e. highest one available) and I've yet to encounter any danger (after 5 hours). :blank: It's early days, though, so I hope some kind of challenge will start to rear its head soon.

• Like 2

Velvet is such a great protagonist and a much needed breath of fresh air for a JRPG main character. In fact, the whole cast in this game are amazing. Easily one of my favourite JRPG casts in recent years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Velvet is such a great protagonist and a much needed breath of fresh air for a JRPG main character. In fact, the whole cast in this game are amazing.

The characters in my party right now are pretty great, yeah :D
I do have to change the voice over to Japanese, though, I think. The English one isn't very good :hmm:

Have I spent most of the morning exploiting the Expedition thingy? Yes, yes I have.
Do I now have a shit ton of money to spend? Yes, yes I do.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Have I spent most of the morning exploiting the Expedition thingy? Yes, yes I have.
Do I now have a shit ton of money to spend? Yes, yes I do.

Is that the clock changing thing?

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Is that the clock changing thing?

That is indeed the thing :D

• Haha 1

Don't really understand what Dire Foes are for...

You can encounter them after some fights in an area but they are way too strong for what little rewards they provide. Fought one and beat it while using almost all of my life bottles and it just wasn't worth it in the end. You can also just easily escape the fights...

What's their purpose?

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Don't really understand what Dire Foes are for...

You can encounter them after some fights in an area but they are way too strong for what little rewards they provide. Fought one and beat it while using almost all of my life bottles and it just wasn't worth it in the end. You can also just easily escape the fights...

What's their purpose?

They are just like super bosses/fights. I think there are trophies tied to them but other than that I can’t really remember. In the FF games the super bosses usually drop something cool for you to use but I don’t think that’s the case here.

• Thanks 1

After about 20 hours I can safely say: I'm done with this game.
The battle system is insultingly simple and boring, even on the highest difficulty nothing poses a threat. ::shrug:

Story is meh (I guess that's the Tales series for ya). The cast is great, sure, but it's the only thing Tales of Berseria has going for it...and it's not enough to keep me engaged when the battle system is simply not fun.

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

The battle system is insultingly simple and boring, even on the highest difficulty nothing poses a threat. ::shrug:

Story is meh (I guess that's the Tales series for ya). The cast is great, sure, but it's the only thing Tales of Berseria has going for it...and it's not enough to keep me engaged when the battle system is simply not fun.

That's such a shame, I'm also shocked you found the game too easy, there were some boss fights I struggled with on Hard difficulty. What difficulty did you play it on? The highest difficulties are unlocked by fighting certain optional bosses, though Evil is unlocked by beating the optional boss in the swamp, Chaos can only be unlocked late game with equipment that will only drop playing on Evil difficulty, which is required to even do damage to that optional boss.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

28 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

What difficulty did you play it on?

I think it's called Intense? One higher than Hard.

This is basically Tales games in a nutshell. They draw you in with their anime graphics and real time battle system but then you realise it's the same old thing. They've been peddling the same shtick for decades.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this