NEurope
Daft

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection

I'm about 2/3rds into the first game. Hoping to finish that today so that I can start the second. I take it that the first is the weakest in the series?

It depends who you ask. Personally I find the 3rd the worst.

It depends who you ask. Personally I find the 3rd the worst.

At the risk of spoilers, is it the plot of the third that made you enjoy it the least? I'm quite enjoying the characters and story in the first game. I'm interested to see how it improves mechanically in the second and third games.

At the risk of spoilers, is it the plot of the third that made you enjoy it the least? I'm quite enjoying the characters and story in the first game. I'm interested to see how it improves mechanically in the second and third games.

The plot isnt bad if I remember right. It was mainly the ridiculous difficulty spikes that just pissed me off. I ended up dropping it down to the easiest I could, completing it and then selling it straight away.

The plot isnt bad if I remember right. It was mainly the ridiculous difficulty spikes that just pissed me off. I ended up dropping it down to the easiest I could, completing it and then selling it straight away.

I hate difficulty spikes in games, especially if they're really taking the piss. I'll remember this!

U3 was a piece of piss. Well, I am the Uncharted King though....so....

(Joking apart, there was one tricky shooting section that I remember being fucking hard, but it's all about finding the right cover and moving pattern, keep on moving around the bottom ring of that section)

Cruise Ship when you're on lower ground

I don't tend to find the Uncharted games to be that difficult, as ReZ has said already, it's essentially about finding the right cover spot and picking your moments when shooting.

The rest of it is puzzle-solving, action sequences and of course treasure hunting! :D

Naturally I only started playing the first game last night on Crushing difficulty, I haven't played it again since 2007 but it was one of the main reasons I purchased a PS3 so playing it now feels amazing because it still looks really good thanks to the bit of polishing the games have had so it's as if my memory of the titles looking amazing has never really betrayed me as the originals still look good but now they look even better. :)

I shall be trying to go for all the pieces of treasure this time as well because when I first completed the game it didn't even have trophies. : peace:

I don't tend to find the Uncharted games to be that difficult, as ReZ has said already, it's essentially about finding the right cover spot and picking your moments when shooting.

Im pretty good at the Uncharted games as well. I completed 2 on every difficulty if I remember right but 3 did have the stupid spikes. There was a lot of complaining about it when it first came out so I know im not the only one who thought so.

I'm most of the way through the first game, got to 85% at the moment. It's quite good for me, i'll judge how good 2 and 3 are once i play.

In the Rewards menu there's some different filters you can apply over the game, one of them being 'Next-Gen Filter' which takes the piss and turns everything a Gears of War brown :D (one for @Ronnie :p)

:laughing: nice

The story and character relations in the first game are what made me love it so much. Combine this with a more personal setting of a single island (for the most part), which you get to fully explore and for me it's only bettered by what Uncharted 3 does.

Gameplay wise, they improve a great deal.

Edited by Retro_Link

The story and character relations in the first game are what made me love it so much. Combine this with a more personal setting of a single island (for the most part), which you get to fully explore and for me it's only bettered by what Uncharted 3 does.

Gameplay wise, they improve a great deal.

I'm eager to try the second and third games now.

I've finished the first game.

On the whole, I enjoyed it. However, there were a few bits which wound me up a little:

I did feel that the final quarter of the game got a bit silly. It becomes veeeeeery shooty shooty when I think the best bits were the puzzle solving/platform section. There was that AWESOME part where you had that huge puzzle to solve with the roman numerals and the multiple routes/paths. That was amazing. Best part of the game for me. But, I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "Spaniard" bits at the end.

Also wasn't overly fond of the final boss fight. Not a fan of boss fights in general.

On the whole, the game is excellent. Hoping the second and third ones carry on being this good.

Just finished Drakes Fortune

Not too bad, wasn't a fan of the whole "non-human" sections towards the end, it did feel like it didn't belong in the game. The puzzles were good, i enjoyed them quite so. Combat was ok, nothing too special. It did look at times that Drake wasn't aiming and looking to the right whilst shooting. And the Jetski stuff, urghhh

Moving onto Among Thieves tomorrow, see what that's like

Agreed, the puzzles in Uncharted 1 are great, and yep the final boss fight sucks :P

What I also love about 3 is how for large portions of the game you are just doing what a treasure hunter should be doing... exploring.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Uncharted 2 @RedShell... especially if alongside me you become the second person on the whole of the internet to prefer Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 :p

Won't share my thoughts until you've finished though in case it grabs you.

Well, the credits have rolled on Uncharted 2. And yeah, looks like I am indeed the second person on the whole of the internet to prefer Uncharted 1. :heh:

And it's not even close. I actually struggled to even finish Uncharted 2. :hmm:

There is so much I dislike about how this game plays I'm not even sure where to begin. :woops: But no doubt the most annoying aspect was how confusing and vague some of the routes were. I know this is a game that obviously takes pride in its realistic environments and so they don't want to spoil that look by making ledges and stuff too prominent. But I lost count of the amount of times when I had absolutely no idea where the hell I was supposed to be going/jumping to next. ::shrug: Seriously, If I had a quid for every time Drake tumbled to his death in hilarious ragdoll fashion, I'd be a millionaire! :laughing:

And then there's the combat. Oh man, infuriating. It wasn't too bad right at the start of the game, but it didn't take long for the enemies to deploy seemingly indestructible body armour! Towards the end of the game it would take ages to kill even one of them. :zzz: And that's playing on easy! Dread to think what it must be like on higher difficulties.

I also didn't think the game was as humorous as the first one. It still made me laugh here and there, but the lack of Sully really hurts the comedy value of Uncharted 2. Hope he's around more in the next game.

Kind of want to replay the first game instead of starting Uncharted 3 though, not a good sign. :blank:

Well, the credits have rolled on Uncharted 2. And yeah, looks like I am indeed the second person on the whole of the internet to prefer Uncharted 1. :heh:

And it's not even close. I actually struggled to even finish Uncharted 2. :hmm:

There is so much I dislike about how this game plays I'm not even sure where to begin. :woops: But no doubt the most annoying aspect was how confusing and vague some of the routes were. I know this is a game that obviously takes pride in its realistic environments and so they don't want to spoil that look by making ledges and stuff too prominent. But I lost count of the amount of times when I had absolutely no idea where the hell I was supposed to be going/jumping to next. ::shrug: Seriously, If I had a quid for every time Drake tumbled to his death in hilarious ragdoll fashion, I'd be a millionaire! :laughing:

And then there's the combat. Oh man, infuriating. It wasn't too bad right at the start of the game, but it didn't take long for the enemies to deploy seemingly indestructible body armour! Towards the end of the game it would take ages to kill even one of them. :zzz: And that's playing on easy! Dread to think what it must be like on higher difficulties.

I also didn't think the game was as humorous as the first one. It still made me laugh here and there, but the lack of Sully really hurts the comedy value of Uncharted 2. Hope he's around more in the next game.

Kind of want to replay the first game instead of starting Uncharted 3 though, not a good sign. :blank:

If you're like me, Uncharted 3 will restore your faith :)

Might I suggest playing a [very] different game/genre before you play the third though. Give yourself an Uncharted break. IMO Uncharted 3 is worth it.

@RedShell I'm the same, it was always Uncharted 1 for me, 2 was ok, 3 was blargh. I'm not even sure if I'm picking up 4 yet, I will wait to get some reactions first!

Sorry to see you didn't care for it, @RedShell. I doubt you will like 3 then as it's more of the same.

As for the combat, it's all down to weapons. Things like snipers and shotguns come into play a lot when the heavy hitters arrive. You have to constantly keep switching it up.

Interesting how wildly different all of our opinions are. I'm not sure anyone agrees on the three as a whole.

Sorry to see you didn't care for it, @RedShell. I doubt you will like 3 then as it's more of the same.

As for the combat, it's all down to weapons. Things like snipers and shotguns come into play a lot when the heavy hitters arrive. You have to constantly keep switching it up.

I realised this a long way into the first game. I discovered the sniper and used it to take it those guys who had those red laser sights on their guns and could take you out from far away with one hit.

It sorta went like this. Run into area, go into cover. Handgun, headshot, handgun, headshot, into cover, sniper, headshot, headshot, headshot, pick up shotgun, use shotgun, kill, kill, kill, switch to machine gun, clear map.

I didn't realise quite how much weapon-play was important in this. It's a bit more shooting-orientated than I expected. I did quite like the cover mechanic and hopefully the next game is a bit more balanced than the first because I felt it became a bit too shooty-shooty at the end.

If you're like me, Uncharted 3 will restore your faith :)
I hope so.

BTW, what were your reasons for preferring Uncharted 1?

@RedShell I'm the same, it was always Uncharted 1 for me, 2 was ok, 3 was blargh. I'm not even sure if I'm picking up 4 yet, I will wait to get some reactions first!
Yeah, I was drooling like crazy at the Uncharted 4 footage from E3, but now I'm a bit concerned that despite looking and sounding fantastic, it could end up being not that much fun to play. :blank:

I did try to make as much use of all the different weapon types, but even so, the amount of bullets required to kill some of the enemies was just bonkers. Really does just feel like a way to artificially lengthen the gameplay. :hmm:

I did quite like the cover mechanic and hopefully the next game is a bit more balanced than the first because I felt it became a bit too shooty-shooty at the end.
The problem I have with the cover system is that it can be kind of flaky, I even managed to get killed a few times by regular gunfire while in cover behind solid rock. :o

It's cool how they force you to move about by chucking in grenades and the destructible cover, but when you're surrounded by a shit load of practically bulletproof and trigger-happy enemies, moving around isn't exactly what you want to be doing. ::shrug:

Yeah, the cover system is a bit iffy at times. It's especially annoying on Crushing difficulty, when even a few bullets can kill you.

I hope so.

Yeah, I was drooling like crazy at the Uncharted 4 footage from E3, but now I'm a bit concerned that despite looking and sounding fantastic, it could end up being not that much fun to play. :blank:

I did try to make as much use of all the different weapon types, but even so, the amount of bullets required to kill some of the enemies was just bonkers. Really does just feel like a way to artificially lengthen the gameplay. :hmm:

The problem I have with the cover system is that it can be kind of flaky, I even managed to get killed a few times by regular gunfire while in cover behind solid rock. :o

It's cool how they force you to move about by chucking in grenades and the destructible cover, but when you're surrounded by a shit load of practically bulletproof and trigger-happy enemies, moving around isn't exactly what you want to be doing. ::shrug:

I think I had a few kills like that. But, it's hard to tell if that was the case or if somebody was in a better position. I did it a few times to the enemy where they must have thought they were safe behind cover, but I had flanked them and managed to sneak a kill-shot in.

Going to make a cuppa, eat some toast and start Uncharted 2. Let's see what happens next!

Playing the Uncharted games back to back wouldn't be enjoyable. Have a couple of weeks break from number 3, and hopefully with the balancing issues you'll enjoy the meat and bones of the series when you come back to it. It gets a lot more cinematic, but the plot/structure flies out of the window, as in the random boat section which is fun but out of place.

Interesting how wildly different all of our opinions are. I'm not sure anyone agrees on the three as a whole.
This.
See I don't think it is more of the same.

To me Uncharted 2 is just a non-stop action rollercoaster and I actually got a bit bored of that approach. Set piece after set piece became somewhat monotonous.

Uncharted 3 I feel manages to find the perfect middle ground. It maintains heavy action but manages to intersperse it with very successful story and character driven moments. Equally long moments of calm, exploration and taking in the environment.

I hope so.

Some of what I said above... but also for me I felt Uncharted 2 went WAY over the stop. I found it quite jarring... the action was nonstop... but in a relentless way that took a toll.

I didn't find the characters as appealing - Chloe is no Elena - and frankly I thought the story was a bit ridiculous (as unreasonable a point that may be to make for a video game). Uncharted 1 was defined by it's heartfelt relationships and it's far more intimate setting.

Playing the Uncharted games back to back wouldn't be enjoyable. Have a couple of weeks break from number 3, and hopefully with the balancing issues you'll enjoy the meat and bones of the series when you come back to it.
Completely agree. I couldn't take three Uncharted games in a row, I'd be completely burnt out by the end of 2 to even contemplate 3, and IMO everything would become to samey.

Definitely play one or two very different games before returning to Uncharted 3.

Hnnnnng, the second game is awesome.

I fell in love right from the introduction.

This area reminds me a lot of a location that you'd spot out of The Last of Us. Graphically, it looks very similar and you can see the inspiration there.

Really enjoying this. Can't wait to play moaaar after the football.