NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dazzybee

NINTENDO GAMING TOURNAMENT EVENT

Not quite sure where to put this, or what, but basically my company is running a Japanese Culture Festival in October in Lincoln. One of the events is an all day tournament, street pass event at a big venue in the city centre. Loads of TV screens, cinema screen for finals, street jazz zone, retro zone, live music, loads of prizes etc etc

Now a few things, would anyone be interested in coming? I reckon I could get deals on B & B's and such if people wanted to make a weekend of it (karaoke at night, films and workshops the next day etc).

Does anyone want to maybe even help design and organise the event if that's a particular passion.

Or even just some ideas on the event in this thread would be nice.

It's a big place, in the cafe/bar we were going to have the streetpass zone for people to relax, live music will be playing for a few hours in there in the middle of the day too.

In the main hall a retro zone of all the main consoles for anyone to play.

Then tournaments - obviously Mario Kart and Smash Bros. But what else? Wii Sports? Nintendoland? GoldenEye? Was thinking of having a Mario Bros. speed running tournament running throughout the day of one of the levels. 1.1 on the original?!

Any other ideas would be amazing. We're in contact with Nintendo, GAME and some other companies for some great prizes, we'll also have cash prizes. Encouraging cosplay and such.

Would people be up for organising a meet there from the forum? Play loads of games, loads of tournaments, get drunk and karaoke at night?

I realise it being in Lincoln makes that difficult but you know, worth an ask :)

Sounds really cool!

What might be a cool idea is if you recreate the 2015 Nintendo World Championships contest there! See how it is organised in the U.S. during E3, what games are involved and maybe recreate it as a UK version of sorts? (I know I'd love to do that anyway! :D)

Maybe have a weird and wonderful collection of odd Japanese games as well. Stuff like Taiko Drum Master, Wario Ware, Trauma Center, Muscle March, you know, the more obscure and quirky stuff - give people a chance to discover something a bit lesser known!

If it's just the one day, then you're only gonna have time for so many tournies, but Goldeneye/PD, Mario Kart and Smash are obvious must haves. The SMB speed run tourney is a good idea; I remember that they did one at a Japan Expo in London a few years back and it went down pretty well (though organisation is a bit of a challenge as you need to get people to sign up to a timetable and get them coming back at set times as they're probably not gonna want to stand around waiting).

Wii Sports/Resort is a good choice since it's something that visually stands out from other games there. If you can wrangle up a setup for one of the Bomberman games (maybe the Wiiware one if you're keeping it Nintendo only), that would be another fun one (though you'd need a lot of players if you make it 8 players per match!). Mario Tennis N64 or GCN would make for another good choice that is a bit off the beaten path too!

Or you could also have a Pokemon Card tourney as well! Something that's a bit different for an event like this :) (not sure about how you might go about organising that though, considering that TPC have their own official tourneys, but I'm sure that would go down well!)

Edited by Dcubed

Wow, this sounds awesome!

I wish I lived somewhere in England and had the cash.

I'd definitely would've liked to contribute and help out in some way.

Wish you all the best!

I might check this thread from time to time to add some ideas...

Hey guys, just looking for a bit of advice. We're now putting to the finishing touches to this, and thinking of another game, we are holding cup style knockouts on Mario Kart and Smash Bros. We're having an all day leaderboard competition on Mario Maker and want another all day leaderboard event. A puzzle game maybe, a shoot em up. Any suggestions? Ideally a Nintendo game, or one synonymous with Nintendo.

A puzzle game maybe, a shoot em up. Any suggestions? Ideally a Nintendo game, or one synonymous with Nintendo.

Duke Nukem 64 and I'm there.

StarFox/Lylat Wars high scores?

Wave Race/F-Zero GX lap times

DKC Tropical Freeze time trials

Warioware high scores (like jump rope/paper aeroplane)

Pushmo challenges (who can complete ten puzzles the quickest - start easy and ramp it up and you can create a themed one for your event.)

Super Mario Maker 15minute makeover. Who can create the craziest alternative 1-1 in 15minutes.

Blindfolded Mario Chase where other players direct the runner or those chasing the Mario Mii.

Guitar Hero/Rockband/Just Dance competitions

Speed running old games. SONIC 1 Green Hill Zone is good for this.

StarFox/Lylat Wars high scores?

Wave Race/F-Zero GX lap times

DKC Tropical Freeze time trials

Warioware high scores (like jump rope/paper aeroplane)

Pushmo challenges (who can complete ten puzzles the quickest - start easy and ramp it up and you can create a themed one for your event.)

Super Mario Maker 15minute makeover. Who can create the craziest alternative 1-1 in 15minutes.

Blindfolded Mario Chase where other players direct the runner or those chasing the Mario Mii.

Guitar Hero/Rockband/Just Dance competitions

Speed running old games. SONIC 1 Green Hill Zone is good for this.

Wario Ware isn't a bad shout actually.

Need a game which is quick (otherwise I'd do Star Fox) so people can try it quickly and have multiplay goes, though maybe not, maybe a longer one... Need to decide quickly...

Here is the website if anyone is local enough to come along!!!

http://www.japanfestival.co.uk/event/nintendo-gaming-event/

Sign in to follow this