NEurope
flameboy

New Nintendo Hardware could be Android based.

A report is suggesting that Nintendo’s new hardware, codenamed NX, will be built around the Android operating system.

According to Japanese business site Nikkei, translated via Neogaf, the NX will have an Android architecture to make it more open to developers.

The Android system is designed specifically for touch screens, but can also be found in consoles such as the Ouya and the Nvidia Shield.

Nintendo revealed the existence of the NX earlier in the year, with CEO Satoru Iwata stating that he found the idea of iterating on current hardware as “dull”.

“In the past few years, the idea of what [encompasses] a gaming platform gradually changed,” he said. “If you only expand upon existing hardware, it’s dull.

“In some shape or form, we’re always thinking about how we want to surprise players as well as our desire to change each person’s video gaming life.”

Nintendo isn’t expected to show off the NX at E3 later this month.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/01/nintendo-hardware-nx-android-report/

I wondered how people felt about this? There's more to this than first meets the eye.

Firstly it's all too easy to jump on the "nintendo exiting the console space" bandwagon. You'd think that with this announcement it seems Nintendo are further withdrawing from the console market, they have already very much stepped back from the console wars in terms of matching specs. They've always been financially responsible in that way look at how low specced the gameboy was in it's day but when faced with battery and power constraints it completely made sense. Android consoles have traditionally been underpowered like the ouya, the gamestick, the first mad katz console they did. So you'd have to worry are Nintendo going for that kind of console?

However we are starting to see more powerful android based devices so it may not just be a cheap and cheerful android box.

Android based architecture is arguably the most open and freely available out there (along with Linux/Ubuntu that seem to have far too many splinters to keep track of) so that would work with Nintendo's mantra of working across multiple devices etc... it's also the most pirated and homebrewed to hell and people will pick that thing to shreds in days you would have thought.

People thinking that Nintendo would be able to somehow protect their own content within an android infrastucture are sorely mistaken, people will work how to extract those files no problem and there will be some method for distributing them.

I'm conflicted...a higher end android console is risky for the piracy issues it could lend itself to but a lower end lower risk machine seems like a stupid move.

Edited by flameboy

As I said in the NX thread, I'm doubting this report. I think it may be a misinterpretation.

As I said in the NX thread, I'm doubting this report. I think it may be a misinterpretation.

Do you believe anything you read? You always seem to be doubting everything that you don't want to be the truth or is a view you don't share.

Do you believe anything you read? You always seem to be doubting everything that you don't want to be the truth or is a view you don't share.

Well Nikkei has been wrong as much as they have been right so it's a bit illogical to just assume it's correct.

Well Nikkei has been wrong as much as they have been right so it's a bit illogical to just assume it's correct.

Just as illogical to assume it's incorrect ;p

Well you've been as wrong far more then you've been right so it's illogical to assume you're correct!

Nikkei are very respectable. This isn't like a 4chan rumour. They must have good sources, they don't just print any old rumour.

I think people need realise that Android doesn't automatically mean Google or something similar to a phone or Android set top box.

It's possible to do a lot on Android. You can have an Android based OS and lock it down completely if you want.

Well it's interesting that's for sure:

They can have their own walled version of the software to prevent issues

It opens them up to apps already on android

If the virtual console runs on android they can then let certain games run on phones

It certainly future proofs any backwards compatibility and a unified is that can just be installed on new hardware iterations

But then Android can and will be hacked, nothing new really the wiiu and 3ds have been hacked, but android hacks are a more common and socially acceptable form of piracy

Do I think it's true? No: not even arguably more successful games companies like Sony and Ms would/have gone to a third party OS, now they could and perhaps may in future but I just can't see Nintendo going from behind in the times to brig far more progressive than the others........but with the Wiiu does it call for drastic measures? The NX is a third pilar after all, a generic android console that could have a disk drive and run dedicated nintendo games is certainly unlike the handheld and console on offer

Another possibility is that the games themselves don't run on Android, but on a lightweight OS that runs underneath it. So the Android part handles all the other apps (making it easy to port) and mobile games, while the proper games are still "protected".

That would also mean that is someone does open the software up, they won't be able to access the parts that run the proper games.

Another possibility is that the games themselves don't run on Android, but on a lightweight OS that runs underneath it. So the Android part handles all the other apps (making it easy to port) and mobile games, while the proper games are still "protected".

That would also mean that is someone does open the software up, they won't be able to access the parts that run the proper games.

One thing people need to realise is Android at base is Linux. Everything else you see on Android based phones is an extra.

Nintendo can lock the system down as much as they want just like the windows xbox is.

This explains it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/189036/android-is-based-on-linux-but-what-does-that-mean/

A while ago I would have written it off but with Nintendo willing to partner with DeNA maybe they're finally accepting the fact they have to do everything and acknowledging others may have knowledge too.

That being said I think it's unlikely.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case, an OS based on something like Android would be a logical choice for a system, especially they want to unify with services developed out-of-house. It also plays neatly into the idea of the NX as platform to have their home/handheld stuff on one device, however they do that.

I'm making a lot of leaps and assumptions here, but assuming NX is an Android-based handheld, it's actually quite reassuring. Hopefully we're now past the era of Nintendo handhelds having small, custom resolutions. Don't get me wrong, it worked in the past, but I'm hoping for something more standard from now on.

Assuming one point of NX is to run Android games without adjustment, then presumably they will display at the standard resolution. Does anyone know what the standard resolution is for the average Android game at the moment?

Even if I'm off with my ideas here, I definitely like the idea of Nintendo's next handheld being a powerful, high-res machine - all the better for displaying the next Animal Crossing and Zelda! As long as it still has physical buttons, of course (which I'm sure it will).

Well you've been as wrong far more then you've been right so it's illogical to assume you're correct!

On the contrary, sir. I have very rarely been wrong when I have been making factual statements.I may have views in contrary to yours and a few other people, but said opinions aren't wrong, they're opinions and not held to being right or wrong, they're opinions.

Just because I don't believe this and you do does not give you the right to make such assertions about me.

Edited by Serebii

On the contrary, sir. I have very rarely been wrong when I have been making factual statements.I may have views in contrary to yours and a few other people, but said opinions aren't wrong, they're opinions and not held to being right or wrong, they're opinions.

Just because I don't believe this and you do does not give you the right to make such assertions about me.

Where are all these facts? I'm not saying your wrong at regurgitating facts but you already have a beef with the mainstream US media for how they misinterpreted the Wii U and how poor journalism led to it's poor sales. Now you're disregarding a website for suggesting an OS (that you may not want?)

There's no facts behind you simply disregarding their report? Provide me with facts that say we aren't going to have a Nintendo system that's Android based and I'll take it. I'd rather we had this thread was actually a genuine discussion about the pros and cons of and Android based system than some just wodderling in and saying it's not gonna based on their own opinion (which may or may not be wrong)

Come on, lets stop attacking @Serebii. He doesnt believe that the next Nintendo console will be android based. That's his opinion and fair enough.

If it is true though I can't really see it as a bad thing. The OS should be much better with the possibility of an enhanced online service. I do think it is the online policies of Nintendo that people are more interested in

I don't know how trustworthy this one is, but it claims Nintendo has denied the usage of Android over NX.

Not even "no comments" like they usually say.

Come on, lets stop attacking @Serebii. He doesnt believe that the next Nintendo console will be android based. That's his opinion and fair enough.

If it is true though I can't really see it as a bad thing. The OS should be much better with the possibility of an enhanced online service. I do think it is the online policies of Nintendo that people are more interested in

It's not just his opinion though it's the presenting of "facts" as opinion...just saying it's probably not right because a site has been wrong as much as they've been right and says he presents many facts is just outright incorrect. Him presenting opinion as factual statements is outright wrong.

I don't know how trustworthy this one is, but it claims Nintendo has denied the usage of Android over NX.

Not even "no comments" like they usually say.

Never heard of them can't be true...because of facts.

Anyway nice to see many people running with this and coming up with ways it could work. I still worry that the Android part no matter what kernel is running underneath that piracy could be a massive problem. The linux part of PS3 lead to one of it's hacking methods so much so that they ended up removing it.

Well, that was an exciting 24 hours.

I think people - lots of people - need to remember most of what's posted in these forums is just opinion. N-E Forums have been a cesspit for a while. Debate, don't hate.

10e95e9080ea689269ab79ab6a4dc75e.jpg

Nintendo says NX won’t use Android

Yesterday, an article surfaced from Japanese newspaper Nikkei suggesting that Nintendo’s upcoming system, the NX, will use an Android operating system. The publication cited people with knowledge of what’s happening within the Big N in its report.

Nintendo has since responded to the speculation, and has confirmed that the rumors are inaccurate.

“There is no truth to the report saying that we are planning to adopt Android for NX,” a company spokesperson told the Wall Street Journal.

This seems to be keeping in line with Nikkei’s track record. While the newspaper has been spot on with a number of reports in the past, it’s also true that a number of claims have ended up being proven false.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-says-nx-wont-use-android/

Well I suppose the thread title needs a name change now :p

I think it should be changed to "Oh snap, Serebii was right"

Some of you owe him an apology, that was one brutal dog pile.

The Nintendo statement doesn't mean no Android per say. As I posted yesterday Linux is Android at base level.

The fact Nintendo felt the need to comment on a rumour to me says the Nikkei report has some legs just not the Android OS people associate with phones.

Edited by liger05