NEurope
Cube

Big Changes (Moving and stuff)

Well, in the past few weeks my life has changed significantly. It got much worse for a bit (due to landlords) but now everything feels much better.

For those who don't know, I suffer from depression and one thing I decided to do was move to where my sister and niblings lived (and other family), as well as where I grew up (with the hope of meeting up with old friends). The landlords made things a pain for me, so I ended up moving earlier, with them thinking that my stuff was going into storage.

Anyway, I've moved from a really shittly flat above an awful sandwich shop (you could tell from the taste that they used the cheapest ingredients) into a pretty nice house with an amazing view:

ubXnrNV.jpg

The sea, awesome-looking wind turbines, some great coastal towns (unfortunately, you can also see Rhyl), and mountains.

As for the inside, I'm pretty pleased with how I got it:

iRsLJJk.jpg

PVZB8rC.jpg

pp7Dwmc.jpg

GDxzYXw.jpgGnAnQrR.jpg

B1bae5X.jpg

5r2MDqk.jpg

Q7HUqTS.jpg

erJ6Z3d.jpg

la1ZKXk.jpg

caPT43M.jpg

91jhqAI.jpg

GvEtxV9.jpg

The kitchen is a bit small, but perfectly usable, but I've got a second bedroom which I'm putting a bunk bed in so I can look after my niblings (and younger brother and sister) every now and then.

As for work, I've kept the job and I'll be working from home. Like this:

f8TjxMR.jpg

Although my back is killing me due to this at the moment (sitting on a sofa and using a coffee table). A proper table and computer chair is arriving next week.

Anyway, I just wanted to update people on a big change, and I'm already pretty glad that I did it. I was going to make a video, but I chickened out (I started, but started feeling really anxious, something else I need to work on).

Much love, cube! I hope that you are content with the changes in your life; it's not easy to make these big steps. I've seen elsewhere the nightmare your previous landlord caused, so it's good that's all over. I have to admit that the expanse of your mancave now means that the UK may now have a large enough venue for the World Series of Geek-Spelunking to come to our shores... :P

But seriously - congrats dude :)

'Mirin dat cat and view. Looks good, brah.

Also, the drawings in the lounge are some of @Eenuh's.

@jayseven well, it's likely that part of Extra Life will be held here this year. So it can start with that.

Damn the place looks awesome. I'd love to deck my place out like that, but I'm unfortunately banished to the box room of our house to display all my stuff.

Looks great though man, and working from home! I guess that's a little tough to not be tempted to take extended breaks now and then ;)

Good work on the man cave!

I'd be a bit weary of working from home, as loneliness can creep up fairly quickly. My fiancée had depression while doing her PhD, and it was made much worse while writing at home alone. She is quite a social person though, so I'm not sure if it's as bad if you are happy being on your own.

What job do you do? Is the working from home thing permanent or temporary?

I have experience working from home, I'm not a fan. When I'm snowed in I'll often work from home, typically just 5 days or so at a time, and the same four walls and the lack of human interaction gets to me, even though I'm a wholly unsociable person otherwise.

Then again, I'm thinking of doing what looks like almost the exact opposite of what you've done: selling nearly everything I own and moving to a small flat, so our experiences probably differ :p

Do you have the firefly graphic novels? i didn't see them

Your cat is awesome

Its amazing how a crap home can get you down, my flat is both nice and awful, glad you've made the move and got happier

91jhqAI.jpg

Is that one of those 'Baby Bookcases' out of Argos..? I bought myself one of those a couple of weeks ago :heh:

Is that one of those 'Baby Bookcases' out of Argos..? I bought myself one of those a couple of weeks ago :heh:

Yes. I bought it a while ago and walked home with it. It was heavier than I expected. Then I decided to move so I didn't even build it until a few days ago.

I'd be a bit weary of working from home, as loneliness can creep up fairly quickly. My fiancée had depression while doing her PhD, and it was made much worse while writing at home alone. She is quite a social person though, so I'm not sure if it's as bad if you are happy being on your own.

What job do you do? Is the working from home thing permanent or temporary?

Oh, it's definitely a temporary thing. It just makes it much easier to work until I'm settled and then start looking for something new. I do IT and work with websites and the like.

Loneliness is a problem I have, but chatting online does help (I'll be talking to people at work through live chat and stuff).

Do you have the firefly graphic novels? i didn't see them

Your cat is awesome

They're in this image. Those Left Behind, Better Days, A Shepard's Tale and two copies of each issue of Leaves on the Wind (normal and variant covers).

Good to see that you've made some positive steps in your life @Cube and that you seem to be happier for it. :)

I love what you've done with the place, the way in which you've organised everything is particularly pleasing, your fleet of star-ships of various classes is most impressive, it must have taken you a while to amass such an excellent collection. :D

Extra points of course for having your Sega Megadrive set up - mine is always within easy reach at all times - :p not to mention your Sonic Diorama, I had to box mine up again due to space issues but if I had my own place and some of those wonderful display cabinets I would display so much Sega merchandise that it would be like walking into a mini-museum, which of course would take Ages to look around. ;)

One day we should definitely meet up and play some Sega games as I believe our interests have been eerily similar for some time, I've been recently watching Firefly again too as I only recently picked it up on Blu-Ray which reminds me... if you want that extra copy of Serenity on HD-DVD for your collection then just say the word and I'll have it posted out to you. : peace:

As for depression, I know first-hand what it feels like even though I've denied feeling that way for some time, it's a vicious self-perpetuating cycle which can be hard to break. Moving nearer to your friends and family will surely help though plus I'm sure that you know that if you ever need to talk on here then I'm only a PM away as are lots of people on this forum so you don't need to feel like you're going through stuff alone. :)

p.s your cat is amazing and is... is that a Tribble on your windowsill? :grin:

@S\.C\.G that sounds like a great idea. My Mega Drive collection is currently very small (Sonic, Sonic 2, Aladdin and The Lion King).

And, yes, that's a Tribble. I tried a Lootcrate once. It was probably the best thing in it. As for the starships, they release a new one every two weeks.

Forgot to say, your house looks great. How's River finding it?

Forgot to say, your house looks great. How's River finding it?

She likes the stairs as she can peek through down at people. And she enjoys looking out the windows. Much better than the flat. Also, I can have the windows open slightly here. Oh, and she enjoys jumping through the big hole in the wall.

She's still getting used to the different sounds. Every now and then she'll hear something, growl then hide under the sofa.