NEurope
Wii

Amiibo: General grievances thread

I mean what have amiibo got to do with gaming, what is their benefit? Not the content they unlock.

Their benefit is little extras? You know the benefit. The benefit is a cool little gimmick in scanning in physical toys and getting a digital reward! It's having a mario figure and being able to use it in Mario Party, yoshi, hyrule, mario kart... It's so self-explanatory!!

Disney Infinty, Sky;anders are almost billion dollar industries on this toys to life concept. Lego will be huge. I just can't comprehend what is difficult to understand and accept.]

Personally, I'm glad you've created this thread. At least we can discuss it and not clog up all the other threads.

I mean what have amiibo got to do with gaming, what is their benefit? Not the content they unlock.

Can no one else see that he just doesn't get it?

And amiibo functionality takes extra work that needs to be paid for.

Strange Nintendo don't need to charge. Strange Sony didn't last gen either. Strange PC doesn't. Or mobile. Strange strange strange.

An amiibo is much cheaper than a GBA and a Super Gameboy...

Of course they don't need to charge for online, but the fact is it costs every company money to provide the service. Whether they subsidise it or not is another matter, but one Sony have handled pretty well by being the best at what they do and giving you lots of games in the process. Nintendo offer a much more limited service that is used by far fewer people, so is going to be much cheaper to run. And hey, their first party games often cost £30+ even years after release. Who is to say that isn't helping them subsidise in ways Sony don't. Really though, I can't see can't see people being happy paying for Nintendo's online service, because there's not much to it.

Anyway, back to the point; if the disc is burned with that content on that was produced during development then I'd say it's ethically questionable to hold that content back for people that don't 'pay more'. And yeah, I know Nintendo aren't the only one to do it; any D1 DLC is a bit shit, but it's when people defend it that I take issue. You've paid your money, and they're not having to continuously use resources to provide you with that service. So what gives?

Of course they don't need to charge for online, but the fact is it costs every company money to provide the service. Whether they subsidise it or not is another matter, but one Sony have handled pretty well by being the best at what they do and giving you lots of games in the process. Nintendo offer a much more limited service that is used by far fewer people, so is going to be much cheaper to run. And hey, their first party games often cost £30+ even years after release. Who is to say that isn't helping them subsidise in ways Sony don't. Really though, I can't see can't see people being happy paying for Nintendo's online service, because there's not much to it.

Anyway, back to the point; if the disc is burned with that content on that was produced during development then I'd say it's ethically questionable to hold that content back for people that don't 'pay more'. And yeah, I know Nintendo aren't the only one to do it; any D1 DLC is a bit shit, but it's when people defend it that I take issue. You've paid your money, and they're not having to continuously use resources to provide you with that service. So what gives?

I understand it all, but I just think it's a bit much justifying one way of subsidising developments/service costs, but condemning another. It just so happens you defend the one of the company you love, and condemn the one you condemn pretty much everything they do. Just a coincidence though yeah?

As for on-disk. I did say about it being in an update? And it was met with the same disgust. I could begin to understand the irritation if it's on the disk. Tough slightly petty with how small it all is.

Why should we get something that's taken extra time and effort to develop for free? Buy a £10 Mario amiibo and as well as the figurine you get a racing suit in MK8, bonus items in Hyrule Warriors, a trainable AI fighter in Smash, a Yoshi skin and a Mario board in Mario Party 10 (and probably other things I'm forgetting) not to mention dozens more to come over the next few years). All of that from 1 figurine. Again, why should we get content that's taken extra development time for free? And in reply to your original point, yes I do think it's a bargain.

Their benefit is little extras? You know the benefit. The benefit is a cool little gimmick in scanning in physical toys and getting a digital reward! It's having a mario figure and being able to use it in Mario Party, yoshi, hyrule, mario kart... It's so self-explanatory!!

Disney Infinty, Sky;anders are almost billion dollar industries on this toys to life concept. Lego will be huge. I just can't comprehend what is difficult to understand and accept.]

Personally, I'm glad you've created this thread. At least we can discuss it and not clog up all the other threads.

You don't NEED amiibo for these little extras. They existed before amiibo and they'll still exist after when amiibo hopefully die.

An example of unlockable on-disk content that IS obnoxious and disgraceful are the treasure chests in Assassin's Creed Unity that you can only open if you've signed up for a paid service or have downloaded one of Ubisoft's bull$hit apps. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples like that in modern games.

I understand it all, but I just think it's a bit much justifying one way of subsidising developments/service costs, but condemning another. It just so happens you defend the one of the company you love, and condemn the one you condemn pretty much everything they do. Just a coincidence though yeah?

As for on-disk. I did say about it being in an update? And it was met with the same disgust. I could begin to understand the irritation if it's on the disk. Tough slightly petty with how small it all is.

It's about the time at which it is sold. They could have easily included that content in the full game to everyone, as it was developed during the development period and is even on the disc. Instead they partitioned off some of the work and said "we'll charge more for that". It's about whether you believe that is, in principle, wrong. I do, and maybe you don't. Probably we will never change our viewpoints on this so there's not really much more to debate.

It's about the time at which it is sold. They could have easily included that content in the full game to everyone, as it was developed during the development period and is even on the disc. Instead they partitioned off some of the work and said "we'll charge more for that". It's about whether you believe that is, in principle, wrong. I do, and maybe you don't. Probably we will never change our viewpoints on this so there's not really much more to debate.

It's extra development work that wouldn't have been in there without amiibo. It's not a case of them partitioning it off, more a case of them putting extra hours into the project because of amiibo.

Did we have to pay for these? And they took more effort than some of the unlockable amiibo costumes.

bayonetta_2-4-5-xdf0jbug9y.jpg

2645137-screen+shot+2014-09-04+at+3.19.28+pm+(2).png

Or the other Starfox reference within the game? Won't spoil it.

Edited by Wii

It's extra development work that wouldn't have been in there without amiibo. It's not a case of them partitioning it off, more a case of them putting extra hours into the project because of amiibo.

It's all nonsense at the end of the day. Nobody here can argue that what you're getting is the full game and if you pay a bit more you're getting the game plus an extra 1%. The 'full game' is very much bollocks terminology that nobody here, outside of the development team, can really deduce. And call me a cynic, but I don't buy that explanation at all.

For example, you could apply that reasoning to any other game. They could develop Uncharted 4, keep a single level out that they made during development then charge people money on release to access it. Then they could say "hey guys, we gave you the full game, that extra £5 you're paying covers this level". You'll never know whether content was held back, and even if it wasn't it's debatable whether you consider it an added extra or content you should have had anyway.

Again, what it really comes down to is principle. Are you ok with that?

It's all nonsense at the end of the day. Nobody here can argue that what you're getting is the full game and if you pay a bit more you're getting the game plus an extra 1%. The 'full game' is very much bollocks terminology that nobody here, outside of the development team, can really deduce. And call me a cynic, but I don't buy that explanation at all.

For example, you could apply that reasoning to any other game. They could develop Uncharted 4, keep a single level out that they made during development then charge people money on release to access it. Then they could say "hey guys, we gave you the full game, that extra £5 you're paying covers this level". You'll never know whether content was held back, and even if it wasn't it's debatable whether you consider it an added extra or content you should have had anyway.

Again, what it really comes down to is principle. Are you ok with that?

I get where you're coming from but do you not think the fact that the unlockable amiibo content is so low-key and how you get multiple unlocks for a variety of games is a huge mitigating factor that should be taken into account? One Mario amiibo will probably end up unlocking things in 15+ games by the end of the Wii U's life cycle. If you look at it like pay walled content in one title fair enough you might have a point, but the majority of figures unlock far more than that.

You don't NEED amiibo for these little extras. They existed before amiibo and they'll still exist after when amiibo hopefully die.

So before amiibo you could train up a fighter that learns how you play and matches your playstyle, and then take it to a friend's to use on their game?

So before amiibo you could train up a fighter that learns how you play and matches your playstyle, and then take it to a friend's to use on their game?
Tbf Serebii you could just use a memory card. You could take your Mii's to someone else's house in a Wiimote for Wii Sports.

Tbf Serebii you could just use a memory card. You could take your Mii's to someone else's house in a Wiimote for Wii Sports.

That's true, yeah, but the devices haven't used memory cards for a long time.

That's true, yeah, but the devices haven't used memory cards for a long time.
lol true, that's a sad realisation...

I told you there was other ways around bringing the data to a friends house. Remember memory cards, those things we had back as far as the N64? The data for the fighter can be saved to the Wii U, the amiibo doesn't make it better. If anything amiibo make it worse, because they can only store a small amount of data you're limited in what they can do.

How many games can you use an amiibo with before having to wipe its memory?

And memory cards are far more functional.

Edited by Wii

You could take your Mii's to someone else's house in a Wiimote for Wii Sports.

That was such a good feature :hehe:

I told you there was other ways around bringing the data to a friends house. Remember memory cards, those things we had back as far as the N64? The data for the fighter can be saved to the Wii U, the amiibo doesn't make it better. If anything amiibo make it worse, because they can only store a small amount of data you're limited in what they can do.

How many games can you use an amiibo with before having to wipe its memory?

I have many games compatible with amiibo and haven't had to wipe them yet.

I have many games compatible with amiibo and haven't had to wipe them yet.

You didn't answer the question. How many games can each amiibo save data for before needing to be wiped to use on another game?

Gamecube memory card 59 = 4MB

amiibo = 4KB

Progress, eh?

Edited by Wii

You really should stop equating filesize to quality. It's bad enough when you do it with games.

You didn't answer the question. How many games can each amiibo save data for before needing to be wiped to use on another game?

Gamecube memory card 59 = 4MB

amiibo = 4KB

Progress, eh?

amiibo aren't a memory card. They're something different with a little bit of memory

Also, you can go for many without deleting it.

Take my Link amiibo. I can use it on Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, Style Savvy 3, ACE COMBAT™ ASSAULT HORIZON LEGACY +, amiibo Tap & Play, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10, One Piece Super Grand Battle X and Yoshi's Woolly World, with more on the way, all without having to delete my data.

You meant to ask how many games can save data to an amiibo, which is obviously one at a time and they do need to add a bit of backup software so you can juggle where necessary due to constraints in NFC chips (not Nintendo being stupid, that's how NFC chips are. Deal with it)

@Ronnie just leave it. He left the main thread and took the "complaining" you hate so much elsewhere and you just followed him!

Alright fine, I will

Can no one else see that he just doesn't get it?

Looks like he's not the only one. Can't you guys just play at opposite ends of the playground or something?

amiibo aren't a memory card. They're something different with a little bit of memory

Also, you can go for many without deleting it.

Take my Link amiibo. I can use it on Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, Style Savvy 3, ACE COMBAT™ ASSAULT HORIZON LEGACY +, amiibo Tap & Play, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10, One Piece Super Grand Battle X and Yoshi's Woolly World, with more on the way, all without having to delete my data.

You meant to ask how many games can save data to an amiibo, which is obviously one at a time and they do need to add a bit of backup software so you can juggle where necessary due to constraints in NFC chips (not Nintendo being stupid, that's how NFC chips are. Deal with it)

You said Smash Bros. which saves data but then reel off games that unlock items in games as opposed to saving.

There was nothing wrong with how I phrased the question.

How many games can each amiibo save data for before needing to be wiped to use on another game that needs to save data?

Really? You know what I meant. Must I spell out everything so as not to be interpreted in any other possible way? Pedantic much? And yes the answer is 1. Not practical at all.

I am having to scramble around town trying to find Greninja and Jigglypoof on Friday... #stockshortages