NEurope
Wii

Amiibo: General grievances thread

You want Nintendo to have an awesome console that can stand with the others, right?

Then let them talk about amiibo. They don't care about them more than games, but the difference is they can make money, especially tied in with games. This, as well as other avenues, will give Nintendo the money so maybe they can eat some losses in the future.

So you are ok with them selling out if it makes them a quick buck? That's exactly what the AC game look like they are doing.

I have no issue with them incorporating them into various games but I do agree with you about the AC game.

I was thinking about it the other day and I got to thinking, why didn't they just make a party game with the Smash range? You have all the figures already out there and it would have had a wider appeal. But, as you said, it seems this has just been knocked together with the intention of selling another range of Amiibo.

Again, if Mario Tennis arrives with Amiibo support, I have no issue with the other lines being compatible, especially as most of the characters are probably in the Smash range. If they do release a Mario Tennis range then I think they will be taking the mick at that point.

I don't think they'll do a Mario Tennis series. I think the Super Mario series will be continued and used for Mario spin-off titles. I think by launch, we'll likely get the second wave of Mario series featuring some characters that aren't in Smash but are in Mario spin-offs i.e. Toadette, Waluigi, Birdo etc.

So you are ok with them selling out if it makes them a quick buck? That's exactly what the AC game look like they are doing.

TBF, isn't amiibo Festival a free title, but with a retail presence with a bundle of 2 amiibo figures and a pack of cards? I'm not getting it anyway, doesn't look interesting enough for me.

It's a grey area. They need to find a balance that can please everyone, but when people complain about the most minor uses, they're going to get complaints no matter what.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

TBF, isn't amiibo Festival a free title, but with a retail presence with a bundle of 2 amiibo figures and a pack of cards? I'm not getting it anyway, doesn't look interesting enough for me.

It's a grey area. They need to find a balance that can please everyone, but when people complain about the most minor uses, they're going to get complaints no matter what.

Yup, it's free BUT you need Amiibo to play it. I'm sure Nintendo are hoping people buy a couple and then get the bug to buy the rest of the series. That way the game is no longer free and costs a hell of a lot more than what standard game will cost. Had they used already released Amiibo, or even just the AC cards, then I wouldn't have an issue with it. As it stands, it's coming across as a very shady way of getting money from people.

I think it's like Magic the Gathering: you can play it if you want but without cards, you actually can't play the game.

If the concept is good enough, it might be worth getting into. But as of now, I don't understand the concept...

Yup, it's free BUT you need Amiibo to play it. I'm sure Nintendo are hoping people buy a couple and then get the bug to buy the rest of the series. That way the game is no longer free and costs a hell of a lot more than what standard game will cost. Had they used already released Amiibo, or even just the AC cards, then I wouldn't have an issue with it. As it stands, it's coming across as a very shady way of getting money from people.

I believe it does use the amiibo cards, tbf

I believe it does use the amiibo cards, tbf

For the main game or just power ups, special dices etc? If you can just use the cards then I have no issue with it.

For the main game or just power ups, special dices etc? If you can just use the cards then I have no issue with it.

I think you can use the special character cards as standard amiibo...but I can't remember where I read that.

REGGIE - MORE AMIIBO ON THE WAY, DIFFERENT FORM FACTORS CONSIDERED, SUPPLY ISSUES DISCUSSED, TRADITIONAL SOFTWARE IMPORTANT

Coming from a Polygon interview with Reggie Fils-Aime...

"Amiibo is really a supply chain challenge and process right now: Getting the core design, building the mold, managing the production. Our amiibo are hand-painted. So it's a very intricate supply chain. The people involved in doing that are not the same people involved in creating the games and creating the implementation.

There's no issue with our first- and second-party development. In fact, I don't know if you've been to Kyoto recently, but we've got a whole new R&D building that is full of developers; whether they are software developers or hardware developers. So, we're increasing our capacity to create more content. We're focused on creating great content.

The toys-to-life category is most developed here in the United States. Early on, we challenged our internal supply chain that this was going to be big and we needed to scale it up. The fact that we had supply challenges probably says we didn't think big enough. But certainly the demand has been exceedingly strong. We think this category and Nintendo's execution in the category can be significant. We are going to come out with a regular pacing of waves.

We are going to continue to launch these, there are many more figures to support. We are going to continue to innovate with different form factors and our developers are going to continue to find unique ways to leverage the amiibo. Our developers are having fun in finding ways to leverage the amiibo functionality across all of our different games. You're going to continue to see a range of executions and range of different functionality."

http://gonintendo.com/stories/236834-reggie-more-amiibo-on-the-way-different-form-factors-considere

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/23/8833453/fils-aime-nintendo-loves-its-amiibo-but-video-games-will-always-come

More and more amiibo. Don't sort out the issues with previous waves, just keep spilling amiibo onto the market, make them rare and keep demand up. It doesn't matter if people can't get them because there'll be another new wave out after that. Is there even 1 game left that doesn't have amiibo something in it? XCX, but then it's not really suitable as the characters are unknown, there's no main protagonist and most of that audience I'd say would tell Nintendo to f#ck off, myself included. So now sites are starting to cotton on that Nintendo care more about amiibo than software. I said there were 18 new amiibo at E3, I was wrong, it's more. And of course there'll be Starfox amiibo.

This focus on amiibo crap could come back to bite Nintendo in the @$$. It happened with the Wii.

I hate these things with a passion. They're a scurge on GAMING.

Edited by Wii

So as some of ye may know I wanted the blue Yarn Yoshi. Well they're gone everywhere. There was only a limited number left for retail this morning and they were all gone in an hour. Now the only alternative is Ebay and looking there it's anything from €40-55 with delivery. It's the day of their release. Is there no end to this supply issue? The people on Ebay clearly love them so much they're willing to sell them on day one for 3 times the asking price.

I really hate stock issues! Went to buy the pink and blue yarn yoshi from my local GAME and they didn't know they existed (or at least the two on the counter) they'd only relieved about 30 green ones

Are all your amiibos looking well? I was in Smyths today and the new waves are of a much, much higher quality. But I noticed the painting on some of the figures is far from perfect. I noticed the row of gold spots on Ganondorf's shoulders on a few figures were badly done. Dark Pit had paint spilling past where it should stop. And it wasn't just them. Zero Suit Samus as well. I noticed defects on quite a few amiibo. Are ye happy with what's delivered? If I see that in one shop, ye must be seeing it too? I know it's intricate painting but blemishes like that would bother me. They do look nice though and even better when perfect. Not a Yarn Yoshi was in sight in any shop. :(