NEurope
Wii

Amiibo: General grievances thread

Now I'm usually a lurker but feel the need to complain. Amiibo are fine, quality figurines by all accounts. I had no interest in buying any and also felt the little extras like costumes were fine. Splatoon has gone too far though with the bonus missions ( I do realise they are the same levels, but I'd still love to have a go at them) and the extra mini games!

The solution? Id happily buy a pack of cards with every amiibo on them for 15 quid and be done with it.

(I did get Splatoon for only 23 squid though which is a ridiculously good price)

Now I'm usually a lurker but feel the need to complain. Amiibo are fine, quality figurines by all accounts. I had no interest in buying any and also felt the little extras like costumes were fine. Splatoon has gone too far though with the bonus missions ( I do realise they are the same levels, but I'd still love to have a go at them) and the extra mini games!

The solution? Id happily buy a pack of cards with every amiibo on them for 15 quid and be done with it.

(I did get Splatoon for only 23 squid though which is a ridiculously good price)

Don't forget the extra weapons and gear that they unlock.

Just so everyone knows, he does buy us dinner afterwards. :D

Steak night at Whetherspoons...

People are certainly allowed their opinion on things. The issue is that complaints were made regarding Wii about his constant bitching of Amiibo. That being the case he has created this thread to discuss the negative things about the product without having people kicking off about him kicking off, but that hasn't happened. As I said earlier, much like the voice chat thread, you had people coming in raising hell, telling people to stop whinging about the lack of it, yet that was exactly the place to do it in.

That's true. I guess for me is can we debate it? Can we challenge it, discuss it properly and avoid the bitching? I find it a fascinating thing to be honest, it kind of blows my mind a little, don't fully understand, want to. @Wii?!?! Is this a vent thread, or a discussion thread?

@dazzybee It's a bit of both. amiibo have got worse. It was different using the Smash characters to unlock a Mii costume in MK8. Now a lot of the games are getting their own waves of amiibo, e.g. Mario Party 10, Splatoon and Yoshi's Woolly World. They haven't sorted out the old stock and yet they're flinging new amiibo off the conveyor belt.

Splatoon amiibo unlocks the characters, 20 challenges each, mini games, weapons, gear. All on disc paywalled content may I remind you.

Mario Party 10 has a mode that's completely unusable without amiibo.

There was an article that I posted before that explains it better than I can. I'll try to find it.

Edited by Wii

So how would you use amiibo in-game, @Wii?

I told you before, I wouldn't use them. They've nothing to do with gaming. They don't offer any benefit. Have them as collectible figurines, no problem. But keep them away from games. Kids love action figures, who didn't growing up? That's what most of these companies are preying on. Yes there is the older market that like them as collectibles but I don't think ye are their biggest demographic. They're a link by proxy but do actually nothing that the software and machine can't perform without them. They're an artificial tie-in.

Wait, you can buy a squid game with actual squids!?

Best. Business model. Ever.

I'm not sure if it was worth the hassle in the end.

I told you before, I wouldn't use them. They've nothing to do with gaming. They don't offer any benefit. Have them as collectible figurines, no problem. But keep them away from games. Kids love action figures, who didn't growing up? That's what most of these companies are preying on. Yes there is the older market that like them as collectibles but I don't think ye are their biggest demographic. They're a link by proxy but do actually nothing that the software and machine can't perform without them. They're an artificial tie-in.

But that's what all the other Nintendo merchandise is for.

I think a problem might be the fact that Amiibo haven't really got their own game yet.

I was going to say to you, well it's not really that different to the first time we transported our Pokémon from the Gameboy and saw them alive in Pokémon Stadium... and that's how it would be with Skylanders and Disney Infinity, but it doesn't really apply to Amiibo yet :hmm: Outside of if you specifically have a Mario amiibo for a Mario fighter in Smash.

At the moment Amiibo are in a bit of a go between state. I think until they have a more specific purpose they might continue to be seen in the way they are currently.

Amiibos to me always felt like a rushed product from Nintendo. Wanting some of that Skylanders and Disney Infinity money but not really having a solid plan on what to do with them once they came out. I do think a game of their own would benefit them greatly.

But wouldn't that not be locking even more content than before behind a paywall? If that's a massive argument here, having a specific game for that would exacerbate the issue, would it not?

But wouldn't that not be locking even more content than before behind a paywall? If that's a massive argument here, having a specific game for that would exacerbate the issue, would it not?

No because everyone would know that's the whole point of the game, people don't complain about Skylanders because they know what they're getting into.

It's completely different to locking parts of an unrelated game behind amiibo.

In fairness I brought DKC with bananas.

I was watching Jimmy Carr on Channel 4 this evening and this bit reminded me of the amiibo situation. Obviously just substitute some of the words like rolls with amiibo.

Why are people buying these amiibo at ridiculous prices?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SPLATOON-Inkling-Squid-Amiibo-UK-stock-New-Sealed-In-hand-now-Wii-U-PAL-/251976462713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item3aaaf7b179

That went up early on Friday afternoon and what's worse someone paid €40 for it. The bundle of game plus amiibo was €55.

And it was the same with Greninja and Jigglypuff. Within hours of being for sale they're up on sites for €40 each. People are obviously buying these to try and nearly triple the price in less than a day. It's disgusting.

"Make some more you f*cking retards!"

All I want is a zero suit samus, wonder when they'll be available.

They're no way Nintendo are doing all the can. How can something like this happen to a company as big as Nintendo? Baffles me.

I still think it's a combination:

A. They underestimated demand (at the beginning)

B. They are not very experienced in selling large quantities of toys

Still, it sucks and the least they should do is react officially and far more precisely what consumers can expect.

I like how the criticism for amiibos range from "They're unneeded, they shouldn't exist!" to "I want more!" :heh:

Regardless of one's opinion, the amount of rage I'm seeing over this is just... weird. Both extremes of this coin have been pulled before by Nintendo, and in worse ways, but the rage only comes up now.

And I'm just sitting here masticating.

There's something seriously f*cked up if someone can buy and sell an amiibo for triple its RRP in less than a day of its launch.

Anybody else think Nintendo are as interested if not more so in amiibo than they are in the Wii U? There's barely a game that comes out that doesn't have some sort of amiibo interaction or its own range of amiibo. Nintendo showed 18 new amiibo at E3. That Animal Crossing/Mario Party game seems like it was a brain fart just to sell the 8 AC amiibo. They're even now making amiibo for Skylanders. Don't be surprised to see Mario Tennis amiibo. Their E3 Direct focused a large part on amiibo. That section about the Yarn Yoshi amiibo got more attention than the actual game.

Anybody else think Nintendo are as interested if not more so in amiibo than they are in the Wii U? There's barely a game that comes out that doesn't have some sort of amiibo interaction or its own range of amiibo. Nintendo showed 18 new amiibo at E3. That Animal Crossing/Mario Party game seems like it was a brain fart just to sell the 8 AC amiibo. They're even now making amiibo for Skylanders. Don't be surprised to see Mario Tennis amiibo. Their E3 Direct focused a large part on amiibo. That section about the Yarn Yoshi amiibo got more attention than the actual game.

I have no issue with them incorporating them into various games but I do agree with you about the AC game.

I was thinking about it the other day and I got to thinking, why didn't they just make a party game with the Smash range? You have all the figures already out there and it would have had a wider appeal. But, as you said, it seems this has just been knocked together with the intention of selling another range of Amiibo.

Again, if Mario Tennis arrives with Amiibo support, I have no issue with the other lines being compatible, especially as most of the characters are probably in the Smash range. If they do release a Mario Tennis range then I think they will be taking the mick at that point.

You want Nintendo to have an awesome console that can stand with the others, right?

Then let them talk about amiibo. They don't care about them more than games, but the difference is they can make money, especially tied in with games. This, as well as other avenues, will give Nintendo the money so maybe they can eat some losses in the future.

You are exaggerating their presence in the Digital Event, though.

Edited by Serebii