NEurope
Wii

Amiibo: General grievances thread

Personally my general grievance is I just don't get the appeal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And while we're on it (although I'm not sure why we're on it), I happily pay £40 a year to get 12 months of free games and a good (not faultless, but nothing is) service. As they say, you get what you pay for.

You said Smash Bros. which saves data but then reel off games that unlock items in games as opposed to saving.

There was nothing wrong with how I phrased the question.

How many games can each amiibo save data for before needing to be wiped to use on another game that needs to save data?

Really? You know what I meant. Must I spell out everything so as not to be interpreted in any other possible way? Pedantic much? And yes the answer is 1. Not practical at all.

true it would have been better if Amiibo had more space on them but right now its not an issue since only one game uses it to save data, as you said, everything else simply reads the chip to unlock content.

However, as I understand it NFC chips are fairly limited when it comes to memory:

NFC tags are capable of holding anywhere from 64 bytes of data to upwards of 8KB but at that higher end, they start lose their cost-effectiveness and would result in higher prices for the consumer.

So, Nintendo's hands were a little tied when it came to the memory of these things. Its not really that big of an issue in my opinion though, they could simply allow us to back up our Amiibo data, allowing us to swap around our data whenever they release a game that uses Amiibo's memory in this way. I think Serebii was suggesting something like this in an earlier post.

Edited by Helmsly

You don't NEED amiibo for these little extras. They existed before amiibo and they'll still exist after when amiibo hopefully die.

Oh boy... You do need them because nintendo is making it so.

With this argument you could say you don't NEED to pay for mario kart tracks in DLC, they could just give them us for free they give is regular challenges in Wii version for free... Sony and MS don't need to charge us for online... Businesses don't NEED to make a profit...

Fact is, you do need amiibo to have them; most people are happy with it, they're so small people aren't missing out on stuff, except there's a couple of voice who won't shut up about it... I just wish you had something new to say about it, a new perspective, not the same thing over and over and over and over and over.

It's about the time at which it is sold. They could have easily included that content in the full game to everyone, as it was developed during the development period and is even on the disc. Instead they partitioned off some of the work and said "we'll charge more for that". It's about whether you believe that is, in principle, wrong. I do, and maybe you don't. Probably we will never change our viewpoints on this so there's not really much more to debate.

Maybe, except I don't see it as paid for DLC but we've been there before too. I see it as a FREE extra IF you have the amiibo. You don't need a skin... It's just a FREE extra for having already bought amiibo. That's my genuine perspective on it.

Like I got an extra FREE island on Animal Crossing because I had a GBA!

Tbf Serebii you could just use a memory card. You could take your Mii's to someone else's house in a Wiimote for Wii Sports.

But this is missing the whole point. Do people not understand - people, mainly kids, love the feeling of having a figure, putting it on a device, and that figure making something happen int he digital world.... Saying it could just be a memory card, or a little bit of DLC misses a huge factor in this. There is something fun and magical I guess about that process...

Oh boy. Bizarre. I just don't get it... I really don't....

Fuck me it's all going to kick off again in a few days when we all start gloating about how awesome the amiibo challenges are :D

But this is missing the whole point. Do people not understand - people, mainly kids, love the feeling of having a figure, putting it on a device, and that figure making something happen int he digital world.... Saying it could just be a memory card, or a little bit of DLC misses a huge factor in this. There is something fun and magical I guess about that process...

Oh boy. Bizarre. I just don't get it... I really don't....

Fuck me it's all going to kick off again in a few days when we all start gloating about how awesome the amiibo challenges are :D

Chill out!

Buy your Amiibo, I'll be damned if I care!... far bigger problems in my world!

I was literally just replying to Serebii's coment of you not being able to transfer levelled characters before Amiibo; which was pretty obvious and now just taken out of context.

This discussion bores me beyond belief.

Edited by Retro_Link

Chill out!

Buy your Amiibo, I'll be damned if I care!... far bigger problems in my world!

I was literally just replying to Serebii's coment of you not being able to transfer levelled characters before Amiibo; which was pretty obvious and now just taken out of context.

This discussion bores me beyond belief.

How is what I said not chilled out? Just replying saying people are missing a big point about amiibo. Just because someone replies to your point, doesn't mean they're angry about it...

How is what I said not chilled out? Just replying saying people are missing a big point about amiibo. Just because someone replies to your point, doesn't mean they're angry about it...
I guess I misinterpreted the way you made it part of a much larger rant, full of capitalised text, exasperated pauses, claims that people don't understand and are missing points that you've determined for them. Oh and ending on 'Fuck me'.

Seems calm.

I don't get the complaints really. They are an additional extra that enables Nintendo to jump on the toys to life bandwagon - the same one that has given companies like Activison and Disney extra coin, market and mind share on the very customers Nintendo traditionally target. Collectors will buy them for desk appeal and gamers can get cute little extras in their games. Seems like a nice balance to me.

Millions of people have an affinity for Nintendo IP (and Sanic ;)), so owning some figures of them is kinda cool to lots of people and it keeps Nintendo relevant in the face of their competition. They bring a little more colour to some games, but they don't wholly affect the big picture which is reflected in the fantastic games Nintendo are creating at the moment.

If you know Nintendo, they won't ruin a gaming experience for additional figures. They will release games that are only augmented by them.

This is about sustainability and growth. Nintendo makes more money, and that should be put back into development of future consoles and products. Nintendo are finally starting to act on their IP with a congruent attitude that adds additional value to their software. It's a symbiotic relationship that benefits Nintendo long-term and the WiiU's ill-fated sales in the short-term.

Looking forward to the new wave this Friday... : peace:

Edited by tapedeck

@Ronnie just leave it. He left the main thread and took the "complaining" you hate so much elsewhere and you just followed him!

Alright fine, I will

tumblr_m2knxoASbd1r2snsyo1_500.gif

What happened in here?

As far as I can tell, Wii has created this thread so he and others can freely talk about the issues they with Amiibo. What I see is people coming in here kicking off with those who want to speak negatively about the product in question.

This same thing happened in the Voice Chat/Online thread. If people want the other threads to remain free of such stuff then that's fine but at the same time don't come in here and kick up a fuss about people kicking off. I mean this is the thread to do it, right? Would people rather Wii and others post stuff in the other threads?

If you like Amiibo and want to discuss your collection and the positives then that's great and we have a thread for that. If you want to complain about the prices, shortages, scalpers or locked content then you should be able to talk about it freely in here, without the hassle of having to defend yourself at every turn.

Basically, why come in here if you don't want to complain other than to start an argument with those who do?

Good to see you posting again @tapedeck. Don't be a stranger, especially during E3 week.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

May I ask, for those who are annoyed with amiibo "locking content" away, what would you have them do with them? What can they do with amiibo in games that would make you happy?

I thought Nintendo were bastards in the past when you needed a GBA or a card reader to unlock stuff. Some games you even needed the GBA to fully utilise the game.

Amiibos are nowt in comparison - a few crappy skins, wow.

May I ask, for those who are annoyed with amiibo "locking content" away, what would you have them do with them? What can they do with amiibo in games that would make you happy?

Personally, I've not had much of a problem with them. The Amiibo thing in Smash could really have been done without one but I wasn't that bothered about it. It being stored on the Amiibo could have been the exclusive feature.

Custom costumes and stuff in Mario Kart were no big deal for me. They're just costumes, though it would have been nice to buy them digitally if you couldn't obtain the Amiibo it was locked to, I personally wouldn't have bought any.

The only thing I do get the annoyance for, but I'm not bothered as I'm not buying the game thus won't be affected, is locking the challenges behind Amiibo figurines in Splatoon. That to me is locked away content behind a pay wall. I might be missing other games but I can't recall any as my interest in Amiibos has been hampered by the availability issues and I just don't give a shit about getting any more.

Oh and ending on 'Fuck me'.

Seems calm.

If someone says "Fuck me", it doesn't necessarily mean they're angry at you ;) *winkwink*

On a more serious note, some people swear easily, even if just to make what they see as a lighthearted joke. Dazzybee tends to use exclamation marks when exasperated, and he's not doing so now, so I don't think he's angry. Please understand :heh:

Is this thread just about bitching and moaning or discussing the issues? I thought latter, happy to engage, if it's the former then I guess it aint worth bothering with.

I do find it funny when people complain about people arguing/debating back with "are people not allowed their opinions?!", yeah, and others are allowed there with just happens to be the opposite... Or is it just a one way thing? People do that all the time - you questions someones ideas/beliefs/thoughts and slam you down as they're allowed to have an opinion. The irony being they're trying to stop you having an opinion...

My only real grievance with amiibo is the availability and the mediocre respons from Nintendo about how they exactly are addressing it.

They mention restocks but are still very, very, vague about it: when, how many, what figurines, what countries and what is their next action when the restocks will again sell out sooner than they expect. It puts me off and makes me enjoy the hobby less.

If they would communicate more accurately with more promises/factual information, consumers will be reassured and not flogging on every site/shop that puts up a preorder link for new waves. Scalpers would crawl back to their vile and filthy hellholes.

/rant :awesome:

My biggest issue with amiibo (other than thinking they're overpriced) is how some are seemingly becoming much more useless than others. Pikachu for example, no costume unlock in MK8 and appears to be the same situation for Yoshi's Wooly World. icon13.gif

I'm also annoyed how Splatoon is going to lock those little 8-bit mini-games behind the Splatoon specific amiibo. Costumes are one thing, but when you end up missing out on playable content due to not having the right amiibo, that's not cool. :angry:

Nintendo really should offer that stuff via more readily available/affordable NFC cards already, or also make it available for purchase on the eShop.

The main appeal to amiibo is obviously meant to be the figures themselves, but as the content they unlock keeps growing/improving they'll potentially become more valuable for what they can bring to the games, and that will end up making the amiibo situation even more annoying, for both those that want to collect them and those that don't. :blank:

And in Europe, isn't the only way of getting the Inkling Squid by buying the Collectors pack of game plus Squid amiibo?

11100906-3614286836107801.jpg

The biggest problem with it all is one of nintendo biggest problems in general - communication! If people understand the situation fully I think people would be a lot more calm. Like I mentioned in the Splatoon thread and the DLC roll out. If they just clearly explained the situation and explained things as best they could and reassured restocks of all amiibo etc Then I think we'd all relax a little more about it.

I do find it funny when people complain about people arguing/debating back with "are people not allowed their opinions?!", yeah, and others are allowed there with just happens to be the opposite... Or is it just a one way thing? People do that all the time - you questions someones ideas/beliefs/thoughts and slam you down as they're allowed to have an opinion. The irony being they're trying to stop you having an opinion...

That's not the issue; the issue is the people on here who have a problem with anti-Nintendo commentary, and get all defensive about it. Go into the Other Consoles board and see how completely relaxed and laid back it is in relation to the Nintendo boards. If someone has a complaint over there, people try and offer up a solution rather than always trying to insult them.

I understand Wii's point about feeling like you can't say a thing negative without getting an earful. Almost every single post Wii makes is followed by Ronnie mocking him (honestly no clue how this guy is not banned yet). Sometimes Wii goes over the top, but quite often he doesn't, and there is often something actually there worth discussing. It isn't just him that feels it, either. Just the other day, I commented on Nintendo's hardware in relation to Project Cars (incidentally, negatively) and how it was a shame it wasn't coming and you remarked that it wasn't a surprise to see me posting negatively. Downplaying people's opinions like that is kind of a crappy way to talk to people.

Edited by Sheikah

That's not the issue; the issue is the people on here who have a problem with anti-Nintendo commentary, and get all defensive about it. Go into the Other Consoles board and see how completely relaxed and laid back it is in relation to the Nintendo boards. If someone has a complaint over there, people try and offer up a solution rather than always trying to insult them.

I understand Wii's point about feeling like you can't say a thing negative without getting an earful. Almost every single post Wii makes is followed by Ronnie mocking him (honestly no clue how this guy is not banned yet). Sometimes Wii goes over the top, but quite often he doesn't, and there is often something actually there worth discussing. It isn't just him that feels it, either. Just the other day, I commented on Nintendo's hardware in relation to Project Cars (incidentally, negatively) and how it was a shame it wasn't coming and you remarked that it wasn't a surprise to see me posting negatively. Downplaying people's opinions like that is kind of a crappy way to talk to people.

Haha, many posts have been deleted on the other board :)

But also, nintendo people don't go over there and bitch as much, though admittedly it doesn't happen as much as it used to so at least it's getting better.

But it does happen, I never attack anyone and I don't "think" I get defensive, but I'll often argue my feelings and thoughts with rationale, very often I get rebutted with "their allowed their opinions" and I'm like, yes, but so am I!!

Ah come on Sheikah, you posted two posts, both negative, you only post when there's bad news to make your little comments on, if you were an active and, importantly, balanced commenter on nintendo and such I wouldn't give a shit, but it feels like you do it for, I don't know, you enjoy it, you find it funny, stir a little, maybe not, but it's how it feels.

Hero, Kav, Blade, I do quite a bit, all post negative stuff when it's called for and happens. It really isn't a negativity problem. Not for me anyway. The only things that bother me a little is when i doubt the intentions of the poster, and when it's so incessant it starts ruining loads of threads!

Haha, many posts have been deleted on the other board :)

But also, nintendo people don't go over there and bitch as much, though admittedly it doesn't happen as much as it used to so at least it's getting better.

But it does happen, I never attack anyone and I don't "think" I get defensive, but I'll often argue my feelings and thoughts with rationale, very often I get rebutted with "their allowed their opinions" and I'm like, yes, but so am I!!

Ah come on Sheikah, you posted two posts, both negative, you only post when there's bad news to make your little comments on, if you were an active and, importantly, balanced commenter on nintendo and such I wouldn't give a shit, but it feels like you do it for, I don't know, you enjoy it, you find it funny, stir a little, maybe not, but it's how it feels.

Hero, Kav, Blade, I do quite a bit, all post negative stuff when it's called for and happens. It really isn't a negativity problem. Not for me anyway. The only things that bother me a little is when i doubt the intentions of the poster, and when it's so incessant it starts ruining loads of threads!

I don't make the news, do I? Project Cars had something that I consider pretty important news, I posted. Even then, why does it matter? It's just poor taste; if someone has a valid point about it, why try to downplay their opinion by being like "Oh you're always negative about everything, what a surprise". Why not just try and have a half decent discussion with a little less judgement?

I don't understand this requirement for being a "balanced" poster as a prerequisite to expect civility. Most people are not balanced. I am more negative about Nintendo than positive, because in my opinion Nintendo do many negative things these days in relation to positive. And you are the inverse. Let's just not let things like that be the focus! Let's have debates without grudges!

Edited by Sheikah

My biggest issue with amiibo (other than thinking they're overpriced) is how some are seemingly becoming much more useless than others. Pikachu for example, no costume unlock in MK8 and appears to be the same situation for Yoshi's Wooly World. icon13.gif

I'm also annoyed how Splatoon is going to lock those little 8-bit mini-games behind the Splatoon specific amiibo. Costumes are one thing, but when you end up missing out on playable content due to not having the right amiibo, that's not cool. :angry:

Nintendo really should offer that stuff via more readily available/affordable NFC cards already, or also make it available for purchase on the eShop.

The main appeal to amiibo is obviously meant to be the figures themselves, but as the content they unlock keeps growing/improving they'll potentially become more valuable for what they can bring to the games, and that will end up making the amiibo situation even more annoying, for both those that want to collect them and those that don't. :blank:

Couldn't agree more with this. Would also like to pick up on Wii's point about the special edition - it's so bad that the squid amiibo is exclusive to it. People like me who have the digital copy are completely locked out of its content unless we buy another copy and sell on the other copy of the game! I may try to buy one of the Splatoon amiibo but there's no way I'll be going through convoluted effort it'll take to get all three.

Just so everyone knows, he does buy us dinner afterwards. :D

Negativity is never the issue, it's the way that it's handled that causes the problems.

No idea if this was aimed at my comments but I will respond anyway.

People are certainly allowed their opinion on things. The issue is that complaints were made regarding Wii about his constant bitching of Amiibo. That being the case he has created this thread to discuss the negative things about the product without having people kicking off about him kicking off, but that hasn't happened. As I said earlier, much like the voice chat thread, you had people coming in raising hell, telling people to stop whinging about the lack of it, yet that was exactly the place to do it in.

As I said earlier, much like the voice chat thread, you had people coming in raising hell, telling people to stop whinging about the lack of it, yet that was exactly the place to do it in.
Some people just can't help following an argument around.